HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Todd Mclellan needs go

Old
03-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
FIFY (deleted Mclellan)
Whether it's McLellan or Robinson, it's not going to change the results.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:22 AM
sjshark91

IN the off season yes, yes he does.

Unless they some how turn it around and make it to the WCF he has worn out his welcome.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:26 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
McLellan's the winningest coach in franchise history. He's earned the right to at least finish out the season. If you still want his head in June, fine. Fire him then.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:26 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

SOME OF US HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE 2011.

NO ONE listens.

StreetSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Well I just meant it as an option.
Depends on what your direction of the team is going forward. If you want to take another crack with the veteran group then it's not a bad option. The problem is that he's yet to have a healthy relationship with his GM which is not going to help to make improvements on the team to get to a championship level. I don't see him being a good option for a team that may decide to get younger and have a new leadership group.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Why should he? This was his hand-picked head coach.
GMs never get fired.

You'd have to field a lottery team for multiple seasons in a row to get forced out. That's not the Sharks yet.

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:28 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
SOME OF US HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE 2011.

NO ONE listens.
It's ok, no one listened when I said Doug was an Idiot in 2010 either.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:28 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Soldier View Post
GMs never get fired.

You'd have to field a lottery team for multiple seasons in a row to get forced out. That's not the Sharks yet.
And if he was another team would snap him up in a second. He'd unlikely go more than a day without a job heh.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:29 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The problem is DW makes lots of dumb little trades, but also makes some of the best trades in the league over and over again. Thornton, Boyle, Heatley, Burns...

I'm 100% sure that's why he's still around.
Really not fair to him.

The Boyes trade wasn't a good one, though Boyes was never going to crack the SJ roster.

The Ehrhoff trade was simply cap-related.

Even the Mcginn trade was widely applauded at the time....advanced statistics showed that Mcginn was playing way above his level/

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Not sure who should shoulder most of the blame anymore ... the coach with a tired system and refuses to change, or the GM who brings in the players who give half-hearted performances more often than not

I just don't know anymore ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
McLellan's the winningest coach in franchise history. He's earned the right to at least finish out the season. If you still want his head in June, then fine. Fire him then.
I will hate him even more if his not playing Demers leads to Demers not re-signing with us. If the team announces that they have resigned Demers to a similar deal like Braun then I could care less if they let TMac ride out the ****** season. I have given up on this season as it is .. so does not matter if they keep TMac through it.

03-17-2013, 12:31 AM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Whether it's McLellan or Robinson, it's not going to change the results.
I'd rather have TMac out and lose every game from here on out (and get a high lottery pick) then keep TMac and have a Calgary Flames type season. I wasn't necessarily thinking a move would turn us into Cup Contenders. As you've pointed out, this team has MANY serious (organizational) issues to resolve before getting back to that point again.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
GMs never get fired.

Tell Edmonton that. Its pointless to fire him now. They need to examine the whole program in the offseason..from Management to coaching to personnel.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:33 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Really not fair to him.

The Boyes trade wasn't a good one, though Boyes was never going to crack the SJ roster.

The Ehrhoff trade was simply cap-related.

Even the Mcginn trade was widely applauded at the time....advanced statistics showed that Mcginn was playing way above his level/
Even if the Ehrhoff trade was for cap reasons, he should have been able to get more out of it but he got crap.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
GMs never get fired.

The Sharks have a new majority owner with a huge competitive ego. This mediocrity and descend from mediocrity to outright crap is not going to be put up with by him...at least that's what one should believe given the personality of the man who just bought the bulk of the franchise.

To me, Plattner's era will be defined by how he handles this now that he has the clout to do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Not sure who should shoulder most of the blame anymore ... the coach with a tired system and refuses to change, or the GM who brings in the players who give half-hearted performances more often than not

I just don't know anymore ...
I blame the guy at the top. Everything trickles down from there. This was his head coach, his prized acquisitions, and his draft picks in one manner or another. He has to be held accountable.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:46 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I will hate him even more if his not playing Demers leads to Demers not re-signing with us. If the team announces that they have resigned Demers to a similar deal like Braun then I could care less if they let TMac ride out the ****** season. I have given up on this season as it is .. so does not matter if they keep TMac through it.
I'm as high on Demers as anyone, but his upside is what - a #3 or #4? It's not like he's ruining Couture. This Demers angle is being pushed too hard by the fans.

Quote:
I blame the guy at the top. Everything trickles down from there. This was his head coach, his prized acquisitions, and his draft picks in one manner or another. He has to be held accountable.
Could not have said it better myself.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:47 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Even if the Ehrhoff trade was for cap reasons, he should have been able to get more out of it but he got crap.
From what I can remember, the sticking point was no salary back. The other team was absorbing nearly 5 million in cap hit...think about.

Logically, DW made the best trade he could have made...otherwise, why would have sent Ehrhoff to a rival? Do you think he simply wasn't shopping him hard enough?

It is like criticizing DW for the Kiprusoff trade...

Old
03-17-2013, 12:49 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 607
Quote:
I'm as high on Demers as anyone, but his upside is what - a #3 or #4? It's not like he's ruining Couture. This Demers angle is being pushed too hard by the fans.
#3. And he's been better than Murray, Braun at times, Irwin at times. Literally no excuse for why he's not playing while the Sharks ice a Murray-Stuart pairing, unless he's thrown a fit over something stupid or smoking crack or refusing to practice.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
McLellan's the winningest coach in franchise history. He's earned the right to at least finish out the season. If you still want his head in June, fine. Fire him then.
Not in today's NHL. Boudreau was the fastest coach to 200 wins in the modern NHL era and was sacked despite "what he did" for the Caps.

Can't speak as to the Caps, but for the Sharks, I think McLellan was handed the keys to a ridiculously talented team.

In 08-09, that ridiculously talented team took his puck possession style and won a President's Trophy. Great. Bad luck there was injuries and a horrid first round draw.

09-10 that ridiculously talented team got themselves to the conference finals and lost to a Chicago team that, while they could have beat them, no shame in the Sharks losing to the Blackhawks who were beyond stacked and more importantly, cheated (over the cap as has been discussed here)

10-11 that talented team almost choked away a 3-0 series lead to the Wings and McLellan was outcoached in the series vs. Canucks. Some of us were saying he should have been canned at this point because of his inability to make competent in-game and game-to-game strategic adjustments.

11-12, team not so talented team, but still good, loses 7 out of 8 games to the Blues in season and postseason. Again, McLellan shows his inability to make competent in-game and game-to-game strategic adjustments. More people call for his head.

12-13 (13). Team has some elite players, but horrid bottom 6. Great but overworked goalie, and deep defense, although McLellan can't put out the best lineup possible to save his life (read: Demers benched and Murray always playing, not healthy-scratching Clowe). Again, and this is key, McLellan shows his inability to make competent in-game and game-to-game strategic adjustments. 3 regulation wins in their last 22 games. Nearly everyone is calling for his head.

The way I see it, he was handed a loaded team and that loaded team took him to a President's Trophy and the conf finals vs. the Hawks. The last two full seasons, and this season, we have seen how McLellan's failure as a head coach (namely in-game and game-to-game strategic adjustments) have hurt this team. In 10-11, the team was still talented enough to get to the conf finals in spite of this flaw of McLellan. In 11-12 the team dropped off and then McLellan's ineptness only got them to a quick 1st round exit. In 2013, remains to be seen but looks like a no playoffs or another quick exit if they make it.

When you look at all of that, you see that McLellan failed here. He was brought in to take the Sharks to the next level and IMHO, all he did was ride the team's talent until eventually his lack of strategic adjustments would do him in. I'd even concede that in 08-09, the team being loaded + the puck possession style he brought in was a great combo. In retrospect, 08-09 was the window for DW/TMac/Thornton Sharks. All the pieces (organizational and player personnel) were there and in sync. If the injuries and bad draw don't happen, who knows what could have happened.

But now TMac is not working, has not worked, and arguably the same applies to DW and others. Changes need to be made now. Not to save a run for the Cup (), but to move on with this team so they don't become the Flames 2.0.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Sharks have a new majority owner with a huge competitive ego. This mediocrity and descend from mediocrity to outright crap is not going to be put up with by him...at least that's what one should believe given the personality of the man who just bought the bulk of the franchise.
I think you are reading way too much into a single interview. And, what is Platter supposed to day? That he doesn't mind losing?

The bolded is just pure conjecture/speculation.

Quote:
Ultimately, this is where my logic is trending.

I may think that DW has done a great job bringing in the players, and that it is Tmac who is at fault...but Tmac only has his job because of DW.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:51 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
From what I can remember, the sticking point was no salary back. The other team was absorbing nearly 5 million in cap hit...think about.

Logically, DW made the best trade he could have made...otherwise, why would have sent Ehrhoff to a rival? Do you think he simply wasn't shopping him hard enough?

It is like criticizing DW for the Kiprusoff trade...
Why?

He's the GM, you can't just give away players because you're ignorant.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:52 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
#3. And he's been better than Murray, Braun at times, Irwin at times. Literally no excuse for why he's not playing while the Sharks ice a Murray-Stuart pairing, unless he's thrown a fit over something stupid or smoking crack or refusing to practice.
Well, I think it could be an attitude issue. Again, it is conjecture. But there were the rumors of Demers getting into a yelling match with Vlasic, and rumors of Nabokov shoving Demers hard in irritation.

Or, it could be injuries. Demers has had his fair share of bumps and bruises...plus, he could be like Drew Doughty; he doesn't have great stamina.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:53 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Why?

He's the GM, you can't just give away players because you're ignorant.
If no one is willing to pay more than a 2nd-round pick for Kiprusoff, what is he supposed to do?

Kiprusoff had come in and played terribly for San Jose. Toskala had played very well, and Nabokov was obviously the goalie that the team had won a lot of games with. Plus, you factor in Kiprusoff laziness, and you can see that DW made the right decision.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

pull a reverse LA Kings and hire Terry Murray

give us the cup

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:54 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 607
Quote:
Well, I think it could be an attitude issue. Again, it is conjecture. But there were the rumors of Demers getting into a yelling match with Vlasic, and rumors of Nabokov shoving Demers hard in irritation.

Or, it could be injuries. Demers has had his fair share of bumps and bruises...plus, he could be like Drew Doughty; he doesn't have great stamina.
Vlasic was playing like **** at the time. We all applauded Demers for having the balls to call someone out.

As for Nabokov, come on. Nabby is the biggest diva in the NHL, and I'm a huge fan of him.

If it's a stamina problem, playing him in bottom pairing minutes. Unless he's making no effort at all to work out/practice, then this is stupid.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote