HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Everyone seems to think Tavares is a lock. I don't think so.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:53 AM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calirose View Post
JT is ahead of getz, Thornton and Spezz are also in the picture. People never include Thornton, it boggles my mind why they don't. I'm so excited to see this team!!
Because Thorntons best years are behind him and hes not exactly fast. joes time has past, a guy like Bergeron is better suited for intl ice.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
I think Toews plays wing, my guess is i would love to see him on Sids wing, he would be a perfect fit. toews is very versatile and in case the centreman gets waived out, how many teams can have Toews as the second option to take the draw?
Toews is about a 60% faceoff man. You don't pick him to play the wing.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
topshelfie

Tavares Crosby Stamkos
Neal Toews Giroux
Marleau Thornton Nash
Bergeron Getzlaf Perry

Spares: Iginla

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

I'm surprised I'm the only one that mentioned Matt Duchene. I think he makes it.

Trance Kuja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:54 AM
landesberg
p stastny

Still don't see the huge gap between Tavares and Duchene.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Draft Guru

lol. Tavares is a lock.

Draft Guru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
If Tavares remains on the point-per-game rate he's been on for 2 years now, he will most certainly be on the team.

He also shows up for the Worlds every year. International Hockey federations tend to remember those kinds of things.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:57 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
I'm surprised I'm the only one that mentioned Matt Duchene. I think he makes it.
I think he has a good shot, just want to see more from him to put him over some of his competitors

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:58 AM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
I can't imagine any scenario where Bergeron doesn't get the 4C spot.

So basically, 2C comes down to Tavares vs. Getzlaf.

Do you think Team Canada is going to pick Tavares over a proven winner in Getzlaf, especially when Getzlaf is right there with Tavares as it relates to current abilities?
bergeron will probably be the 5th center if you will, toews is a good 2 way center who can bring more offense than bergeron. Tavares can play the wing, I think in the spengler cup he played in spezza's wing and hes probably done it in junior as well.

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:58 AM
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If Tavares remains on the point-per-game rate he's been on for 2 years now, he will most certainly be on the team.

He also shows up for the Worlds every year. International Hockey federations tend to remember those kinds of things.
For the role Tavares will be playing, it is going to take more than a PPG for him to make the team.

Canada has many other PPG players to choose from. Ones that are more suited to play the wing than Tavares is.

Tavares won't be playing on a 3rd or 4th line. He simply isn't suited for a checking line role, and he offers nothing on the PK.

If you take Tavares, then it has to be in a scoring role.

Crosby and Getzlaf are better options at centre on the scoring lines.

Do you think it makes sense to pick Tavares as a winger over players whose game translates better to playing the wing?

Old
03-17-2013, 12:59 AM
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Staal-Crosby-Stamkos
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron-Toews-Giroux
Hall-Taveres-Duchene

Nash-Getzlaf-Perry would be the best line in the tourney I bet. 3 big guys with loads of skill. Perry and Getz have proven chemistry, Nash would fit in perfectly.

Go USA though!
no way Hall and Duchene make it over vets like St louis and Igilna

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
burf

Kinda sad that 2 of the best centers in the game, Spezza and Thornton, will probably be left off the team because neither of them can play wing.

Especially Spezza. Dude's deserved to be on the Olympic team since 2006, but he's never been given the opportunity. 6th in the league in career PPG among active players, and second only to Crosby among Canadians. But he's going to be left off because again because he doesn't have heart, or he can't play defense, or lol giveaways, or he's never won a cup/hart/art ross, or whatever other flavour of the month reason people use to dismiss him from Team Canada / elite player consideration.

(Thornton's right behind him on that list too - 8th in the league in career PPG, and 3rd among Canadians)

e: (Numbers from http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...me_active.html - minimum 500 career points, so it leaves off some of the newer players in the league whose performances haven't had time to normalize)

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
Still don't see the huge gap between Tavares and Duchene.
there is a clear gap imo

Old
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I think he has a good shot, just want to see more from him to put him over some of his competitors
It's really tough to make the lines for this team. I tried on the first page. But as we all know, most of the team is centers. And they're damn good, too. Whomever they choose has a golden opportunity.

Old
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Tavares is strong on his skates and goes into the dirty areas better than anyone in the league today. He may not be experienced on the wing but his game would transition easily to the Right Wing which is where he sets up on the PP. In fact many Islander fans felt he might be better suited for the wing early in his career. You put him on the RW on the 2nd line with Giroux centering him and i wouldn't be surprised if he led the Bronze Medal winning Canadians in goals.

I was thinking:

Stamkos - Crosby - Perry
Nash - Tavares - Giroux
Staal - Toews - Getzlaf
Couture - Bergeron - Seguin
Benn/Eberle

Top 9 are locks imo and the last 4-5 spots are up for grabs (with 1-2 being extras).

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Regal

Honestly can't argue too much with that really. I always looked at him as playing on the wing but it doesn't seem like the best for for him, not does the big ice, though with his smarts and still decent skating it shouldn't be a big issue.
I'm not sure I agree on the experience part. He was very good last year and provided he continues his play this season and into next year before the selections that's a decent amount of time as a high level player. They might also realize they shouldn't write off young players so quickly since Crosby and Stamkos probably should have made it in 2006 and 2010 in hindsight.

I agree he's on a similar level to Getzlaf who has the experience and chemistry with Perry, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go with three main scoring lines as well. Last time it was Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf and Toews as the main guys down the middle with Bergy as the 13th guy. While Bergeron is a better player now it wouldn't surprise me to see Tavares basically take Thornton's spot. Still, decent points. He might not be the lock he's assumed to be.

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Richards - Toews - Nash (shutdown line... best line against Russia)
Stamkos - Crosby - Duchene (Crosby with speedy wingers)
Perry - Getzlaf - E. Staal (somewhat slow but effective line)
Tavares - Spezza - Giroux (Tavares and Spezza were unreal this summer in Switzerland)
Bergeron

I practically revise the roster every day.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:01 AM
HockeySens

Quote:
For the role Tavares will be playing, it is going to take more than a PPG for him to make the team.

Canada has many other PPG players to choose from. Ones that are more suited to play the wing than Tavares is.

Tavares won't be playing on a 3rd or 4th line. He simply isn't suited for a checking line role, and he offers nothing on the PK.

If you take Tavares, then it has to be in a scoring role.

Crosby and Getzlaf are better options at centre on the scoring lines.

Do you think it makes sense to pick Tavares as a winger over players whose game translates better to playing the wing?
everyone their is so skilled nobody is really fit for a checking role, anybody can score goals and im pretty sure tavares is not a one dimensional player

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Toews is about a 60% faceoff man. You don't pick him to play the wing.
Then i put toews #3C and Tavares #2. Put two fast wingers on Tavares line and Tavares average skating ability wont be exposed.

Old
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
It's really tough to make the lines for this team. I tried on the first page. But as we all know, most of the team is centers. And they're damn good, too.
true and oftentimes we don't know how some of these guys will play when forced to the wing. Also the play of guys like Hall, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner ect leading up until the Olympics could change the whole look of the roster

Old
03-17-2013, 01:02 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
no way Hall and Duchene make it over vets like St louis and Igilna
Hall is better than Iginla already. St Louis you are right about.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Tavares will be perfectly fine at RW, hopefully Giroux is his center. I think their games compliment each other very well.

Bergeron Giroux Tavares

or

Staal Giroux Tavares

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joe_shannon_1983*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

Spezza has repeatedly ranked high on PPG lists. He has repeatedly shown up for the Worlds every year.

And he has repeatedly been left off of Team Canada for best-on-best tournaments, for exactly the same reasons I am talking about Tavares not being a lock.

Neither are suited to play the wing. Neither have been suited to play a checking or defensive roles. Neither have been one of the top 2 centres suited for a scoring-line role.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
true and oftentimes we don't know how some of these guys will play when forced to the wing. Also the play of guys like Hall, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner ect leading up until the Olympics could change the whole look of the roster
Thornton, Spezza, and Iginla could all not make the team very easily because of the younger guys' play next season.

I'm American, why do I care so much?

Old
03-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Puckgenius*

matt Duchene wont make it, hes having a good year but him over St Louis? Really? Even Bergeron would be better than Duchene for bergerons 2 way play alone. Plus he has a cup and was a huge part of the Bruins run.