HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

All Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Maybe a minor to middling trade.

Otherwise, Sherm will be sitting on his hands again.

03-16-2013, 09:57 PM
avsman

vCash: 500
Trade the depth D-men besides O'Brien, trade Kobasew, McLeod and Mitchell
McGinn/Sgarbossa-Duchene-Parenteau
Sgarbossa/McGinn-Stastny-Jones/Hejduk
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Hejduk/Jones
Boredeleau-Malone-Palushaj

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
O'Brien-Elliott

Old
03-16-2013, 10:15 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
O'Brien-Elliott
Actually think Mitchell & Kobasew should stick around. McLeod I'm pretty much over.. Kobasew is a perfect 4th line winger, and Mitchell is effective in just about any role in the bottom six. Pj's drives me nuts lol, how is this kid not injured yet?

I will say this... That roster would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch. I really hate seeing any of Zannon, O'Byrne or Hunwick on the ice at any time while watching games.

At least with Elliott, and any other young guys you know their learning and developing.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 140
You guys are nuts for wanting to trade Mitchell and Giguere. They are not the problem.

- Mitchell is the ideal 3rd line centre once the O'Reilly/Stastny dust settles, at the trade deadline next year at the latest.
- Giguere is a great veteran back-up who can mentor Varlamov. He knows his role, there's never going to be a goalie controversy with him around. Plus it does no good to have Sami or Pickard ridining the pine watching Varlamov play 60-70 games, when they could split the time in the AHL.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:51 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

JMO
-Mitchell- Keeper, until we know what will happen with ROR and Stastny. has been ok on a wing but would be a good 4C too. May gain enough confidence with his performance this year to keep it up.
-McLeod- Keeper, does kill penalties and looked good with Mitchell. Brings more to the table than Bordeleau.
-O'Brien- Keeper, works well as a 5/6 and seems to work well in the locker room and will fight if needed.

-Bordeleau- Trade, only if keeping McLeod, otherwise resign him.
-Kobasew- Trade, he most likely will be easily replaced by a cheaper and younger player next year anyway.
-O'Byrne- Trade, (for anything) because he won't be back next year and can easily be replaced.
-Zanon and Hunwick - Trade, (if anyone comes knocking) as either could be upgraded. Could keep 1 as 7th D since both have expiring contracts next year.
-Jones- Trade, nothing less than a the value of a low 2nd. If kept, "encourage" him to do some work this summer to improve his skating and hands.

Take picks when possible, you never know when you might find a mid to late round Gem. Package them up for potential roster players. I dont care, but none of these players are vital pieces to the future of this team, even the "Keeper" pieces listed above.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post

Wilson-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
O'Brien-Elliott
I would like to see this line-up. I like Mitchell, but he is expendable and could get a good/decent return with the season he is having. In the Off-season I really hope Sacco is gone.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:13 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
I would like to see this line-up. I like Mitchell, but he is expendable and could get a good/decent return with the season he is having. In the Off-season I really hope Sacco is gone.
We keep finding above average 4th line centers and then letting them go... Keep Mitchell around. He can be the 3rd/4th line center or play wing. That's valuable moving forward...

McLeod - Mitchell - Kobasew as a line has looked really good, (I think it was our third line at one point lolz)

Old
03-17-2013, 12:04 AM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

If we trade Mitchell we are retarded.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
If we trade Mitchell we are retarded.
In a trade we have to sell high. Idk what we can get from him , but the way he's playing this season his value must be high ( relatively speaking when you think about the kind of player he is ) .

Old
03-17-2013, 12:39 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
In a trade we have to sell high. Idk what we can get from him , but the way he's playing this season his value must be high ( relatively speaking when you think about the kind of player he is ) .
Too bad 1st round picks may have become more valuable, otherwise some crazy GM might actually offer us a 1st for him. Toronto got offered a bunch of 1st round picks last season, apparently for similar players.

Honestly outside of that kind of return, I say we keep him. We haven't had a versatile bottom six player like him since Galiardi.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Too bad 1st round picks may have become more valuable, otherwise some crazy GM might actually offer us a 1st for him. Toronto got offered a bunch of 1st round picks last season, apparently for similar players.

Honestly outside of that kind of return, I say we keep him. We haven't had a versatile bottom six player like him since Galiardi.
Yeah but Leafs and NYR fans warned us about him . I dont argue the fact that he's been playing above our expectations and that he looks really great . But we should think about it, if we find a GM ready to give us a king's ransom for Mitchell.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:01 AM
landesberg
p stastny

I'm going to be pissed if we trade one of Barrie/Elliott... because whichever one of them gets traded they are going to absolutely blow up.

That being said, I hope someone takes a flyer on Hunwick at the deadline.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:04 AM
ghostofweezman

vCash: 828
Quote:
People scream this when all three are healthy, then when one of them is out of the lineup. ZOMG our center depth is so weak!!
You won't catch me saying this. I'd rather shore up the awful defense than have a logjam at center. People always talk about what a great problem it is to have (a logjam at center), and I think to myself "its a great problem to have... this team is awful. at the bottom of the standings currently. missed the playoffs 5 of 7 years. how is this a great problem to have?"

Old
03-17-2013, 01:05 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Trying to sort out the theories on this board is rough and confusing:

"trade high" vs "can't trade a newly signed FA"
"dump the dead weight" (I assume that means no value to team) vs "Asset Management" (Must keep non-assets unless getting a good return)
"proven talent is more valuable than prospects w/higher potential" vs "Draft picks are worth more than proven NHL players still reaching potential"
"Team is ready to compete" vs "team is 2-3yrs away"
"FO needs to take chances to try and improve team by moving assets" (like EJ,Varly Trades) vs "FO needs to be conservative and not take risks with current assets"

Makes for good reading though. Lots of smart people and good dialog for each side. Leaps and bounds above some other teams' boards.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:17 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofweezman View Post
You won't catch me saying this. I'd rather shore up the awful defense than have a logjam at center. People always talk about what a great problem it is to have (a logjam at center), and I think to myself "its a great problem to have... this team is awful. at the bottom of the standings currently. missed the playoffs 5 of 7 years. how is this a great problem to have?"
Our strength down the middle is our 'Strength' as a team, without that we don't have a strength. At least having one area that makes it hard for teams to match-up against is valuable.

Our defense can improve without moving one of our centers, the problem right now is coaching, and defense. Not the forward core...

If you score 3 or 4 goals in as many games as we have and still lose... It's a little telling. It's also telling when our goaltending @ even strength is 11th in the league, and Varly/Jiggy have save percentages of .900 or better to go along with almost 3.00 goals against average between the both of them.

Defense impacts your PK, PP, transition game, and so much more... Along with coaching having an impact on those things as well. Forwards have a secondary impact on defense, but not nearly enough to have 4 6/7th defenders playing on the back-end nightly.

We need to keep our offensive fire-power as well as add to it, not sacrifice it for defense. I agree with Lonewolfe in that it's just swaping one thing for another. We need to ADD to our team without removing valuable pieces. The two ways to do that are free-agency and the draft, which require patience...

Old
03-17-2013, 01:21 AM
landesberg
p stastny

IMO we're a solid top 4 D, a goalscoring wing and a head coach away from competing. Whether Siemens, Barrie, or Elliott solves the defensive problem remains to be seen. I don't really want to trade one of the centers because I love the depth, but we're not talented enough on the wings to handle 3 scoring lines.

If only Downie wasn't injured and Jones wasn't playing like an AHL scrub, we'd have a much better look at our current forward situation.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:23 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
IMO we're a solid top 4 D, a goalscoring wing and a head coach away from competing. Whether Siemens, Barrie, or Elliott solves the defensive problem remains to be seen. I don't really want to trade one of the centers because I love the depth, but we're not talented enough on the wings to handle 3 scoring lines.

If only Downie wasn't injured and Jones wasn't playing like an AHL scrub, we'd have a much better look at our current forward situation.
Jones has been a serious problem with Downie out... If Downie was in the lineup Jones's struggles wouldn't impact the team nearly as much. Hejduk is basically here for nostalgia...

All this boarderline 2nd line RW depth we had disapears with Jones doing the casper, and Downie injured for the season. I knew we had less depth on the right side than it had seemed going into this season. Ideally Downie is a third line RW you move up in the case of injury, and Jones only works when hes hot next to Stastny. Along with Hejduk being, well... Hejduk

We're 10 goals from 5th in the west and 12th in the league, that's Jones slumping, O'Reilly out for half the season, and Downie out for the season. Considering our injuries up front... Our forward group is enough for a playoff spot.

Hell even if Jones could have given us 5 more goals by now, we'd be tied for 8th in our conference offensively.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 03-17-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 01:29 AM
landesberg
p stastny

Quote:
Our strength down the middle is our 'Strength' as a team, without that we don't have a strength. At least having one area that makes it hard for teams to match-up against is valuable.

Our defense can improve without moving one of our centers, the problem right now is coaching, and defense. Not the forward core...

If you score 3 or 4 goals in as many games as we have and still lose... It's a little telling. It's also telling when our goaltending @ even strength is 11th in the league, and Varly/Jiggy have save percentages of .900 or better to go along with almost 3.00 goals against average between the both of them.

Defense impacts your PK, PP, transition game, and so much more... Along with coaching having an impact on those things as well. Forwards have a secondary impact on defense, but not nearly enough to have 4 6/7th defenders playing on the back-end nightly.

We need to keep our offensive fire-power as well as add to it, not sacrifice it for defense. I agree with Lonewolfe in that it's just swaping one thing for another. We need to ADD to our team without removing valuable pieces. The two ways to do that are free-agency and the draft, which require patience...
It's true we have pressing needs on D, but I don't think we're a great goal scoring team. Not like we were a couple years ago. We have been held to 1 goal or less 9/26 games this season, shutout in 4 of them. We rank bottom 10 in goals for.

IMO we need another top 6 wing that is capable of pairing up with Stastny and producing. We have two good lines with Landy-RoR-X and X-Duchene-PA, we just need to sort out Stastny's line.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:34 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
It's true we have pressing needs on D, but I don't think we're a great goal scoring team. Not like we were a couple years ago. We have been held to 1 goal or less 9/26 games this season, shutout in 4 of them. We rank bottom 10 in goals for.

IMO we need another top 6 wing that is capable of pairing up with Stastny and producing. We have two good lines with Landy-RoR-X and X-Duchene-PA, we just need to sort out Stastny's line.
Very true, but our defense is hurting us offensively as well... One of the reasons we scored so much with a lesser talented (You can call it less developed if you want.) forward group, is because our defense was stacked with puck moving defenders.

It's the polar opposite now, and it hurts us in both areas.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:47 AM
landesberg
p stastny

Quote:
Very true, but our defense is hurting us offensively as well... One of the reasons we scored so much with a lesser talented (You can call it less developed if you want.) forward group, is because our defense was stacked with puck moving defenders.

It's the polar opposite now, and it hurts us in both areas.
Barrie leading our team in points for a defenseman STILL is very telling of our situation when it comes to offensive defensemen. I don't know what happened to Elliott this season, but he's lost a lot of the confidence he had last season, and apparently so has the coaching staff. Elliott was barely noticeable when he was up with the big team this season, barely utilizing his best two traits: his speed and his wrister.

We need to see what we have in those two before we make a move to get a puck mover so we don't overload on them. We also have Siemens coming up and by the way he's playing in the dub, he may be our answer in the top 4.

Honestly, it comes down to, as you said already, patience with our team when it comes to defense. Unfortunately, we aren't so stacked in our prospect pool at wing, and we desperately need one if we want to roll 3 scoring lines, and keep Stastny.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Actually think Mitchell & Kobasew should stick around. McLeod I'm pretty much over.. Kobasew is a perfect 4th line winger, and Mitchell is effective in just about any role in the bottom six. Pj's drives me nuts lol, how is this kid not injured yet?

I will say this... That roster would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch. I really hate seeing any of Zannon, O'Byrne or Hunwick on the ice at any time while watching games.

At least with Elliott, and any other young guys you know their learning and developing.
Kobasew? Why? If there's any player you should be "over," it should be him. Mediocre in every aspect of the game.

At least McLeod knows what his role is. Hit everything in sight, and ever since Bordeleau took up the enforcer duties, he's largely done that. I don't have a problem with him--he's perfectly suited for a 4th line role.

I definitely think Ryan O'Byrne is a goner. Unfortunately I just don't think the return will be good. It's too bad--I still think it was one of Sherman's better trades, for whatever reason he chose to have his worst-ever season in a contract year. I will not be surprised if it came out after the season that he had a variation of the groin pull issue that seems to have affected players throughout the league like a case of the Spanish Flu.

I wish I could say for sure Hunwick and Zanon are goners as well, but the organization seem smitten with Hunwick for whatever reason. Zanon is just too terrible for words and likely just can't be moved period.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:26 AM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

I dont understand why there arent more Staz talks. Hes good when he has wingers, but unless you plan on making him a winger...hes stuck with Jones or some other mediocre players.

I know everyone thinks that the FO is waiting to see if ROR produces and if he does Staz might be traded, if ROR doesnt, HE will be traded next deadline...

We need defense. We all know it. Even if we get Seth Jones...hes not going to fix EVERYTHING. Sacco needs to go, and ROR or Staz needs to go. Mitchell is a perfect 3rd line center.

Trade Staz for a winger to solidify Lando/ROR as a line. 3rd line can be Downie/Mitchel/PJs

Yeah we could stay strong down the center, but then we run 3 ok lines instead of 2 great and an ok third? The 2 great is providing we add something through a Staz trade or FA in the offseason. *Cough Cory Perry Cough Cough* I know...its a pipe dream.

And seriously...lets pay another team to take David Jones already. Hes not even physical and he has been freaking terrible this year. ABSOLUTELY AWEFUL.

Its time for some moves.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:41 AM
hattrick3518

vCash: 175
I don't care where we finish. This team is still not a playoff team. They are still incomplete in areas and are vastly inconsistent. If Hunwick, SOB, ROB, Kobasew, are of interest to any team in the league, then sell them off...

I don't see any of the core going, Stastny may be on the move, but I don't see it happening yet. Though if he does get shipped off, I have a feeling the Avs will be bent over in the process.

And the only way I want Perry is in the offseason signed at $6m for 3 years. Otherwise, he can go get overpaid elsewhere. The guy looks like an alien.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I dont understand why there arent more Staz talks. Hes good when he has wingers, but unless you plan on making him a winger...hes stuck with Jones or some other mediocre players.

I know everyone thinks that the FO is waiting to see if ROR produces and if he does Staz might be traded, if ROR doesnt, HE will be traded next deadline...

We need defense. We all know it. Even if we get Seth Jones...hes not going to fix EVERYTHING. Sacco needs to go, and ROR or Staz needs to go. Mitchell is a perfect 3rd line center.

Trade Staz for a winger to solidify Lando/ROR as a line. 3rd line can be Downie/Mitchel/PJs

Yeah we could stay strong down the center, but then we run 3 ok lines instead of 2 great and an ok third? The 2 great is providing we add something through a Staz trade or FA in the offseason. *Cough Cory Perry Cough Cough* I know...its a pipe dream.

And seriously...lets pay another team to take David Jones already. Hes not even physical and he has been freaking terrible this year. ABSOLUTELY AWEFUL.

Its time for some moves.
Um, no, he's a perfect 4th line center. He's had a pretty solid season, but don't let this small sample size fool you. He is by no means a "perfect" 3rd line center.

But I agree...having Stastny and O'Reilly both playing center along with Duchene is just not a good use of resources. Stastny should eventually be moved...it's just a question as to when and for how much.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:56 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

John Mitchell is a hockey retard who's on an insane hot streak when it comes to goal scoring, but the rest of his game leaves much to be desired, if we enter the next season with him as our 3rd line center we're up the creek without the paddle. To add to this he looks better on the wing to me because his glaring flaws (decision making, transition defense etc) look less obvious there.

Closed Thread