HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

All Purpose DUCHENE Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 01:44 AM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 425
I think everyone gave up on Duchene too quickly last season, he was hurt and having an off year (sophomore slump came in his 3rd year) and then Duchene realized what he needed to work on, so he signed a deal quick and got to work and improved tremendously. Now he's using his linemates better, handling the puck better, playing better defensively, harder to knock off the puck, and he's even started playing more physical. Landeskog is the captain and I would never change that, but I think Matt Duchene is this teams franchise player.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:50 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbergavs32 View Post
I think everyone gave up on Duchene too quickly last season, he was hurt and having an off year (sophomore slump came in his 3rd year) and then Duchene realized what he needed to work on, so he signed a deal quick and got to work and improved tremendously. Now he's using his linemates better, handling the puck better, playing better defensively, harder to knock off the puck, and he's even started playing more physical. Landeskog is the captain and I would never change that, but I think Matt Duchene is this teams franchise player.
I agree completely. I'd say we have a similar mold as the Kings.

Heart of the team -Brown/Landeskog
Franchise Player - Kopitar/Duchene
Center Depth - Carter/Richards + RoR/Statsny

The Kings obviously has a better defensive core, more players in their prime, and a different system, but we're in a very good position for the future.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
15th in scoring and 7th in even strength points half way through the season is pretty good. He's also 19th in FO% (54.9%).

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:51 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Perhaps him struggling in his third year was a good thing in the long run. He has gotten rid of a lot of the bad habits he had and he looks to be in amazing shape. Not only is he fast, he can play 21 minutes a night and have energy for full 50-60 second shifts if needed.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Rrabb1t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
15th in scoring and 7th in even strength points half way through the season is pretty good. He's also 19th in FO% (54.9%).
Duchene actually leads the entire western conference in even strength points together with Getzlaf (Duchene having played one game less than Getz). If only Avs had a proper powerplay instead of a 5 forward saccoplay.

Rrabb1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
22FUTON9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrabb1t View Post
Duchene actually leads the entire western conference in even strength points together with Getzlaf (Duchene having played one game less than Getz). If only Avs had a proper powerplay instead of a 5 forward saccoplay.
you might rhink im insane but i actually like the 5 forward pp. a lot of puck movement

22FUTON9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrabb1t View Post

Well done.

It's essentially HALF of a regular POWER PLAY since if our first unit doesn't score, the weird and unlikely combination of Jones, McGinn & Hejduk/Palushaj assuredly won't get the job done either.

It's really strange that Sacco is too stupid to give us a real chance on the PP. Why not something like:

Mitchell/Jones-Duchene-Parenteau
RoR-E.Johnson

McGinn-Stastny-Landeskog
Wilson-Barrie

Something a little more balanced.

Regardless, having Hunwick in the lineup instead of Barrie insults my intelligence. Besides skating fast, Hunwick brings little to the table apart from nightly turnovers and attempted passes into the opposing defenders' skates.

Last edited by Bender: 03-11-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by col9duchie View Post
you might rhink im insane but i actually like the 5 forward pp. a lot of puck movement
I dont mind the 5 forward PP so long as its not done in the 3rd while we have a lead. I also like the fact Sacco loads up that first unit. No David Jones oor Mitchell on the first unit is fine by me.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Just about everything in my post refutes this thought...

Ahh.. and he has continued to prove he deserves being mentioned in the Selke conversation as well.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=416101
I'm loving Duchene's season, and he is working hard defensively, and on the PK, but I hope he's not getting selke consideration because he's still not that great defensively. At least a couple times a game he gets caught out of position, either too high in the slot, or too low behind the net and leaves a guy open. This has burned the team a couple times, and Varly has had to come up with big stops on others.

Not trying bash him, just saying Selke consideration wouldn't really be fair since there are so many guys that are better defensively. He's not horrible, he's just got a couple leaks in his defensive game. He just needs to work a little more with his coaches on where to stop in the defensive zone instead of moving around and out of position, and try to read the play a little better.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

A "traditional" power play wasn't working for us this year.
So Sacco got creative and made his 5-forwards power play.
Which seems to be working better, even though it is scary when it comes to shorties for the opponents.
At least Sacco tried something different -- with some positive results.

EDIT: Now he needs to realize that there are times that he should NOT use it (like when we're ahead in the 3rd period...)

03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
I think ROR on the point is fine, but I do think Barrie should be on the first unit opposite him instead of another forward. Problem is, I'm not certain who comes off? Based on current play it would be Landeskog but that leaves no centers for the second unit.

Parenteau - Stastny - Duchene
Barrie - O'reilly

Or

Landeskog - Duchene - Parenteau
Barrie - O'reilly

But tbh Stastny needs to be getting PP time so IDK. If we put him on the second unit I guess it would be

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Johnson - Wilson

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Duchene matched his last year's point total.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:41 AM
landesberg
p stastny

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...energized-this

Great article on Duchene, apparently he shortened his stick because Crosby told him to? Whatever he's doing this season is working for him.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:19 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post

Great article on Duchene, apparently he shortened his stick because Crosby told him to? Whatever he's doing this season is working for him.
That's a good rule to follow: Do what Crosby does and says. Always.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:34 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post

Good read. His new diet and workout routine are working. And he seems to really feel better about his play and energy during games.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Foppa2118

Yea that was a good article from Dater. Nice to see. I've thought for a little while EJ, though he benefits a lot from having a long reach, might be better off shortening his stick a little bit. He just moves the puck from backhand to forehand, and pulls the puck off the boards, or spins with it so slowly. I really think it could help with his offense and transition game to be able to handle the puck quicker.

You can see in Duchene's game too his little passes are working more often, and he's maintaining the puck better on his spin moves.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea that was a good article from Dater. Nice to see. I've thought for a little while EJ, though he benefits a lot from having a long reach, might be better off shortening his stick a little bit. He just moves the puck from backhand to forehand, and pulls the puck off the boards, or spins with it so slowly. I really think it could help with his offense and transition game to be able to handle the puck quicker.

You can see in Duchene's game too his little passes are working more often, and he's maintaining the puck better on his spin moves.
Does anyone else feel like there is still another level possible with Duchene? You really have to watch him play every night to notice it though.

Honestly, if he improved his shot on top of all this stuff hes doing. It almost feels like he could hit Stamkos's level.

There is just so many games that for all the scoring chances he gets, he misses like 3 of 5 or more of them.

I find myself thinking almost every other game, "He could have easily had a hat trick or better tonight"

This isn't a slight on him, just interesting because of the level hes already brought himself to. I don't think we have seen him hit his full potential yet.

Obviously O'Reilly has improved his shot quite a bit since breaking in, so I think it's possible with Duchene as well.

Duchene is on a 23 goal pace this season, which translates to a 39 goal pace over 82 games. With a little improvement he could be burying even more chances. It's impressive, and interesting to think that he still has more upside than what we have seen this season.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I agree completely. I'd say we have a similar mold as the Kings.

Heart of the team -Brown/Landeskog
Franchise Player - Kopitar/Duchene
Center Depth - Carter/Richards + RoR/Statsny

The Kings obviously has a better defensive core, more players in their prime, and a different system, but we're in a very good position for the future.
You know, comparing the Avs and Kings to one another, their are actually a tonne of similarities. Avs are basically a younger version of the Kings as far as talent goes.

Kopitar - Duchene
Carter - Stastny
Richards - ROR
Brown - Landeskog
Williams - PAP
Doughty - EJ
Voynov - Barrie
Martinez - Elliott
Scuderi - Hejda
Quick - Varlamov
Greene - Siemens
Penner - McGinn

Incredibly similar actually. Avs are a few years younger, but we should follow a very similar path to the Kings. Hell we could very well have an even better core then them if we add Jones/Drouin/Mackinnon to the team.

*All it took for the Kings core to turn the page was a good head coach. If the Avs can change head coaches for next year, we should easily make playoffs, possibly even make some noise.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
That's a good rule to follow: Do what Crosby does and says. Always.
No kidding. Nice to see that he's planning on training with Crosby this summer as well.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
You know, comparing the Avs and Kings to one another, their are actually a tonne of similarities. Avs are basically a younger version of the Kings as far as talent goes.

Kopitar - Duchene
Carter - Stastny
Richards - ROR
Brown - Landeskog
Williams - PAP
Doughty - EJ
Voynov - Barrie
Martinez - Elliott
Scuderi - Hejda
Quick - Varlamov
Greene - Siemens
Penner - McGinn

Incredibly similar actually. Avs are a few years younger, but we should follow a very similar path to the Kings. Hell we could very well have an even better core then them if we add Jones/Drouin/Mackinnon to the team.

*All it took for the Kings core to turn the page was a good head coach. If the Avs can change head coaches for next year, we should easily make playoffs, possibly even make some noise.
Yeah I've done this in the past with the Kings roster, LA & STL both underachieved a few years before they switched coaches.

With another top 5 pick this year we will be in a pretty amazing position moving forward. Our young D just needs to mature and actually get playing time.

Penner - Jones though lol... McGinn I take 1000K times over Penner.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Does anyone else feel like there is still another level possible with Duchene? You really have to watch him play every night to notice it though.

Honestly, if he improved his shot on top of all this stuff hes doing. It almost feels like he could hit Stamkos's level.

There is just so many games that for all the scoring chances he gets, he misses like 3 of 5 or more of them.

I find myself thinking almost every other game, "He could have easily had a hat trick or better tonight"

This isn't a slight on him, just interesting because of the level hes already brought himself to. I don't think we have seen him hit his full potential yet.

Obviously O'Reilly has improved his shot quite a bit since breaking in, so I think it's possible with Duchene as well.

Duchene is on a 23 goal pace this season, which translates to a 39 goal pace over 82 games. With a little improvement he could be burying even more chances. It's impressive, and interesting to think that he still has more upside than what we have seen this season.
Yes definitely. I feel like he could have a season where games like the last few would be the norm ,and he'd have a few that were just off the charts.

I think as good as he's been, and as confident he's been playing, he's still building on that confidence in playing the right way. Not necessarily in his skills, he's always had confidence in that, but confidence in playing the way he has this season by being patient instead of just flying all over the ice, and in using his linemates more with quick passes, or set up plays, instead of trying to do everything himself.

The more confidence he builds in his mind about that being the best way to play, the better he can be.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Foppa2118

I just noticed something and have to be a little hard on the Avs best player, and only shining light this season here. I've noted before that while he's working hard back checking, and has been better defensively, Duchene's still not reading plays in his own zone, and being in the right position as much as you'd like to see from a #1C.

Plus/Minus is usually a useless stat, but it's a little worrisome when a guy like Duchene who has 34 points in 34 games, and only 7 of them being PP points is a -7.

Also seeing that the Avs have only given up two SH goals this season, so assuming Duchene was on the ice for them, that means he's been on the ice for 32 even strength goals against in 34 games this year.

He's been better defensively, but he along with Sacco's over aggressive three man forecheck system is causing problems for this team in terms of winning games.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Avs71

Quote:
I just noticed something and have to be a little hard on the Avs best player, and only shining light this season here. I've noted before that while he's working hard back checking, and has been better defensively, Duchene's still not reading plays in his own zone, and being in the right position as much as you'd like to see from a #1C.

Plus/Minus is usually a useless stat, but it's a little worrisome when a guy like Duchene who has 34 points in 34 games, and only 7 of them being PP points is a -7.

Also seeing that the Avs have only given up two SH goals this season, so assuming Duchene was on the ice for them, that means he's been on the ice for 32 even strength goals against in 34 games this year.

He's been better defensively, but he along with Sacco's over aggressive three man forecheck system is causing problems for this team in terms of winning games.
What about empty net goals? Two at least.

Just to add, I agree with pretty much all this. Only thing is I'm not really concerned about it. How many goals have been his fault? Maybe 4 or 5, if that? It's hard to be an even player when the team is just so bad. I'm sure in the next year or two he will have a +20 season.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
What about empty net goals? Two at least.

Just to add, I agree with pretty much all this. Only thing is I'm not really concerned about it. How many goals have been his fault? Maybe 4 or 5, if that? It's hard to be an even player when the team is just so bad. I'm sure in the next year or two he will have a +20 season.
True, good point. Good memory too, looks like it was two so far.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...NET_GOALS.html

So that means not accounting for the two SH goals against, and two EN goals against, he's been on the ice for 30 five on five goals against in 34 games.

Not trying to be hard on the guy, he's been amazing this year, but defensively he's still got a fair amount of room for improvement if he's gonna be a #1C.

To you point about how many are his fault, that's obviously really hard to tell. We'd have to sit down and watch the tape on all of them, since they're not really fresh in any of our memories, but I have see Duchene struggle reading plays during games, and either being too high or too low in the slot in his coverage on more than a few occasions. He may not fully be to blame for all of that -7 number, which is why plus/minus is usually inaccurate, but given what I've seen in his inconstant D zone coverage, and his low PP point numbers, I have to say it's an issue.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:52 PM
chet1926

Quote:
True, good point. Good memory too, looks like it was two so far.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...NET_GOALS.html

So that means not accounting for the two SH goals against, and two EN goals against, he's been on the ice for 30 five on five goals against in 34 games.

Not trying to be hard on the guy, he's been amazing this year, but defensively he's still got a fair amount of room for improvement if he's gonna be a #1C.
You realize it not just Duchene out there when a goal is scored, right? PAP love him but he is a pretty miserable defensive winger, McGinn is very average. Plus we field probably the worst defense on the planet so yeah unfortunately he is going to be on the ice for some goals against.

I can also live with a line that gives up goals as long as they are contributing offensively which they are. Between McGinn, PAP and Duchene (our primary 1st line), you are looking at a combined 35 goals which is approximately 40% of all the goals we've scored this year.

I don't think Duchene is ever going to be a +40 type guy, ideally once the team as a whole he could be in the +10 range. But for now on such a bad team, I'm going to take the positives which are he is playing great offensive hockey which is his primary job. Leave the the defensive/responsible hockey to ROR who I envision as a +30 or better guy on a good team. As long as Duchene can play point per game hockey and be around +10 or slightly better hockey we will be in good shape going forward.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote