HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
It sounded on Klefbom that he was ready to play, but edmonton was standing in his way and he had to travel to edmonton in order to get clearance..
He even said he was ready to play now against modo :p
Ooh, those damn team doctors! *shakes fist*

Old
03-17-2013, 03:06 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Nothing wrong with having him spend a time in the AHL. Heck, even the year in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure he will be more than a Ladislav Smid at the NHL level, but if you can get a #4 d-man in the 10-20 range of a draft that is a win.
In an ideal world, he'll be in the AHL not just because we want him to develop more but because he can't make the team. Realistically, unless he really surprises people, a 20 year old Dman coming out of the SEL probably shouldn't be able to make your team.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:22 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
In an ideal world, he'll be in the AHL not just because we want him to develop more but because he can't make the team. Realistically, unless he really surprises people, a 20 year old Dman coming out of the SEL probably shouldn't be able to make your team.
Tell that to Brodin, Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, and Larsson.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:13 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I'd rather the Oilers be more conservative with these guys. If they have to be in the AHL for one, two, three years...whatever.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I'd rather the Oilers be more conservative with these guys. If they have to be in the AHL for one, two, three years...whatever.
And as soon as the Oilers just get a Nik Lidstrom they'll do that.

It's better to Let him Earn his Spot. As it stands, he's considered better then Brodin, and Brodin is considered "amazing", so there's that.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:17 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
But ... but they have to learn the North American game!

Old
03-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Brodin spent time in the AHL prior to his rookie season. OEL got sent down to the AHL at the mid point of his rookie season.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Brodin spent time in the AHL prior to his rookie season. OEL got sent down to the AHL at the mid point of his rookie season.
SO you're expecting a lockout next season?

No one is say he "can't go" to the AHL, but let him Earn his spot, if you just keep guys over him because they have to clear waivers and he doesn't that's stupid.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:56 AM
oilers92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
SO you're expecting a lockout next season?

No one is say he "can't go" to the AHL, but let him Earn his spot, if you just keep guys over him because they have to clear waivers and he doesn't that's stupid.
he was in the ahl for a game after the nhl started so there is that

Old
03-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
he was in the ahl for a game after the nhl started so there is that
Because he was recovering from injury? So not we're hoping for a lockout and an injury for Klefbom?

I know Brodin was in the AHL, but hardly there to "be made to learn"

Old
03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Beerfish

If he is not playing with the oilers in the nhl next year alarm bells are going off. Our defense still stinks badly so he should be able to make this team.

Last edited by Beerfish: 03-17-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: error
Old
03-17-2013, 11:02 AM
JetsOilersfan

I agree he has to earn his spot. You guys think he can't? Should he spend a year in the AHL - yes. If he was on another team that had a solid D corps would he, yes. But you guys honestly think he can't beat out Potter and Peckham. Heck, I bet you at worst he's as consistent as Petry is. He'll make the team, take it for what you will, but he's a top 6 Dman in EDMONTON.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:44 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
And as soon as the Oilers just get a Nik Lidstrom they'll do that.

It's better to Let him Earn his Spot. As it stands, he's considered better then Brodin, and Brodin is considered "amazing", so there's that.
At no point in his career has Klefbom been considered better than Brodin, maybe he closed the gap last season because he was so far behind Brodin in the first place but never better and i'm sure that SouthSwe can confirm this.

The point is that Brodin was considered NHL ready going into this season. Klefbom especially considering the fact that he lost a valuable season of development due to injury, will probably need a season in the AHL to get used to the pro game. If he absolutely blows the coaches away in Training Camp then he will have earned a spot but anything less and he should be AHL bound.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:38 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If he is not playing with the oilers in the nhl next year alarm bells are going off. Our defense still stinks badly so he should be able to make this team.
maybe alarms that our management is doing something right for a change

Old
03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
At no point in his career has Klefbom been considered better than Brodin, maybe he closed the gap last season because he was so far behind Brodin in the first place but never better and i'm sure that SouthSwe can confirm this.

The point is that Brodin was considered NHL ready going into this season. Klefbom especially considering the fact that he lost a valuable season of development due to injury, will probably need a season in the AHL to get used to the pro game. If he absolutely blows the coaches away in Training Camp then he will have earned a spot but anything less and he should be AHL bound.
I don't think Brodin was ever way ahead, but certainly a little bit. Both made the team in the SEL and Brodin was either playing on a pairing with him or one roster spot ahead. Also Klefbom was an All star at the WJC's, not Brodin. They both went relatively close to each other in the draft. To compare them to other high picks this is like Erik Johnson vs Ryan Murray, one is a big toolsy defensman who's potential is to be great at everything while the other is very mature and smart who's potential is to be great at everything just without the punishing style a Klefbom could bring. The big difference is given their skillsets it's more likely that Klefbom takes more time, toolsy guys usually do, and that Brodin is the safer choice but probably doesn't have the Shea Weber type upside of a Klefbom (not saying he will be Weber but the same kind of player perhaps). I'd take Brodin given his more certain future as a top pairing guy but it's certainly been close the whole time, Swedens national team coach Marts called Klefbom "the next big thing in Swedish hockey" for a reason.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Brodin is a great young player but so is Klefbom IMO. Klefbom has the better physical tools when it comes to playing against bigger/stronger players, it's the difference between the Ladislav Smid type of defense vs. the Nick Schultz type of defense. One will use their body/size more, the other more positioning, angles, and stick. I for one gave up on Oscar playing this season, if he's ready, then let him finish up in Sweden and then have him come over to OKC ASAP.

03-17-2013, 02:05 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

i think the pretty obvious path for klefbom is to start in the AHL, and if he plays well he'll be the first call-up for injury .... then if he plays well during his call up, he might just stick with the big club, if not, then it's back to the AHL for more seasoning

Old
03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Brodin is a great young player but so is Klefbom IMO. Klefbom has the better physical tools when it comes to playing against bigger/stronger players, it's the difference between the Ladislav Smid type of defense vs. the Nick Schultz type of defense. One will use their body/size more, the other more positioning, angles, and stick. I for one gave up on Oscar playing this season, if he's ready, then let him finish up in Sweden and then have him come over to OKC ASAP.
if klefbom can finish in sweden, is he eligible for AHL time this year? i don't know the rule on this one.... my memory is telling me that klefbom's SEL contract is up after this season, so he *should* be able to come over to the AHL once the SEL season is over, but my memory can be tricksy sometimes, lol

Old
03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I don't think Brodin was ever way ahead, but certainly a little bit. Both made the team in the SEL and Brodin was either playing on a pairing with him or one roster spot ahead. Also Klefbom was an All star at the WJC's, not Brodin. They both went relatively close to each other in the draft. To compare them to other high picks this is like Erik Johnson vs Ryan Murray, one is a big toolsy defensman who's potential is to be great at everything while the other is very mature and smart who's potential is to be great at everything just without the punishing style a Klefbom could bring. The big difference is given their skillsets it's more likely that Klefbom takes more time, toolsy guys usually do, and that Brodin is the safer choice but probably doesn't have the Shea Weber type upside of a Klefbom (not saying he will be Weber but the same kind of player perhaps). I'd take Brodin given his more certain future as a top pairing guy but it's certainly been close the whole time, Swedens national team coach Marts called Klefbom "the next big thing in Swedish hockey" for a reason.
I think it became close after last season when Klefbom's development took a major uptick from the WJC on but in general, Brodin was regarded as being well ahead of Klefbom developmentwise prior to that. I'm just basing it on the many scouting reports of Swedish fans who have watched both.

I would think that with Brodin now excelling at the NHL level like on a top pairing level and with Klefbom having suffered a setback due to the injury that the gap has significantly widened again. I've seen Brodin enough by now to know that he's an extremely special player, it's quite amazing how composed he is for a rookie.
However, Klefbom has all the tools to get close to Brodin's level if all goes well but the injury history certainly does complicate things. The Oilers need to be very careful with him and please for the love of god, don't rush this kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i think the pretty obvious path for klefbom is to start in the AHL, and if he plays well he'll be the first call-up for injury .... then if he plays well during his call up, he might just stick with the big club, if not, then it's back to the AHL for more seasoning
That's how i see it as well.
It's too bad that he got injured this season because he was gaining a ton of momentum. I pray that this injury doesn't derail his development.
I know that he's apparently healthy again but we know all too well how tricky shoulder injuries can be.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
LaGu

Quote:
I think it became close after last season when Klefbom's development took a major uptick from the WJC on but in general, Brodin was regarded as being well ahead of Klefbom developmentwise prior to that. I'm just basing it on the many scouting reports of Swedish fans who have watched both.

I would think that with Brodin now excelling at the NHL level like on a top pairing level and with Klefbom having suffered a setback due to the injury that the gap has significantly widened again. I've seen Brodin enough by now to know that he's an extremely special player, it's quite amazing how composed he is for a rookie.
However, Klefbom has all the tools to get close to Brodin's level if all goes well but the injury history certainly does complicate things. The Oilers need to be very careful with him and please for the love of god, don't rush this kid.

That's how i see it as well.
It's too bad that he got injured this season because he was gaining a ton of momentum. I pray that this injury doesn't derail his development.
I know that he's apparently healthy again but we know all too well how tricky shoulder injuries can be.
I would think that's stating the obvious... One of them is already playing top pair D, +22 min/game, in the NHL, the other hasn't played since October.

Klefbom and Brodin has always been compared, more so since they played on the same team in the SEL and of course being the same age. Brodin has been a bit ahead for a while now, even though Klefbom has had his moments (WJC for example) but it has not been considered a huge gap.

I guess my point is that who knows how Klefbom will do over here but honestly, if he manages to play half as well as Brodin is playing right know he's a lock for our 2nd pair imo. The AHL-treatment is very useful sometimes but there are many examples (especially of Euro-players) where it has not been necessary. In the end I believe that it will come down to how he performs in TC and the pre-season. If he earns a spot he'll get it and continue to develop here, if not, OKC.

Anyway, all of this is very hypothetical.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
LaGu

Klefbom's quotes from the interview (paraphrasing a bit):
Quote:
(About playing the finals)
- This is an issue for Edmonton right now. I am going there in three weeks, go on ice with the guys and try to get into it a bit a bit more.

(About how he's feeling)
- I've been on ice three or four times already to try out my shoulder and it has felt surprisingly good. My shoulder doesn't hurt and I don't feel any pain when shooting and playing around.

- But I haven't tried the slap shot yet and I have not played close contact, but my first impression is that it has felt good.

(About when he may be able to do a comeback)
It's difficult to say. The shoulder feels great and technically I think I could play. This is a question for Edmonton, but you never know. They want me to train so that I'll be in as good shape as possible.

- If I would not have been under contract I might have been able to take a chance in this situation. Maybe using some sort of support and playing smart.

(About his visit in Edmonton in three weeks)
- We will see what they say, if they think it's ok for me to play the final series or not. I am their player, but if they give the go ahead I will definitely want to be playing with the team in the finals.

(Klefbom adds an extra comment at the end of the interview)

It is very important that my body is feeling good so that I can play my "full" game without being afraid out there.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:10 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
if klefbom can finish in sweden, is he eligible for AHL time this year? i don't know the rule on this one.... my memory is telling me that klefbom's SEL contract is up after this season, so he *should* be able to come over to the AHL once the SEL season is over, but my memory can be tricksy sometimes, lol
I believe he can much like Silvferberg did with Ottawa last season.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Klefbom's quotes from the interview (paraphrasing a bit):
Thanks, seems like a bright kid who gets it.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Nothing wrong with having him spend a time in the AHL. Heck, even the year in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure he will be more than a Ladislav Smid at the NHL level, but if you can get a #4 d-man in the 10-20 range of a draft that is a win.
He has more offense talent then Smid does, that's forsure. He's more two-way where Smid is a lot more one dimensional.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:

I agree with that my point is Klefbom was considered to be a longerterm project. Some guys are rare in that they are very composed but don't neccesairly have as much development to go as the typical player because of it. Vlasic, Murray, Brodin are guys i think are very rare and valuable but they don't develop quite as much as player like Klefbom who's still trying to figure out how to use every tool in his toolbox efficently. Brodin certainly has more offensive capablility than a guy like Vlasic but i don't think he's got the kind of impact game that a guy like Doughty brought as a young player, so i'm a little uncertain about the longterm upside. Obviously the sky's the limit for Brodin, all i'm saying is it's far from a certainty he continues to develop on his skillset as much as a guy like Klefbom will. Like i said Brodin>Klefbom is the fair call but all along there's been a lot of hype about Klefbom and his skillset being something very rare. So rare it was never considered a certainty that Brodin would be better than Klefbom. In fact this is the rankings of hockeys future, which IMO presents an interesting and unbiased source:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...2012-13/page/3

Ranked one after the other, Brodin at 28 and Klefbom at 29.

The rankings for 2011-2012 postseason actually had Klefbom ahead at 21, with Brodin at 30.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...11-2012/page/3

Don't need to tell me about being careful with Klefbom, i'd hope he at least gets some games in at the AHL level to establish himself in NA and i wouldn't be adverse to him playing him down there for a season or two if thats what it takes. Obviously we'd have to blue sky it to say the year off doesn't hurt him. But if it did happen and low and behold he's the same player he was at the beggining of the SEL season there's a chance he plays NHL minutes right away, especially with this managment group.

Last edited by Eskimo44: 03-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Closed Thread