HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2013, 05:10 PM
  #801
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 9,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
It sounded on Klefbom that he was ready to play, but edmonton was standing in his way and he had to travel to edmonton in order to get clearance..
He even said he was ready to play now against modo :p
Ooh, those damn team doctors! *shakes fist*

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:06 AM
  #802
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Nothing wrong with having him spend a time in the AHL. Heck, even the year in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure he will be more than a Ladislav Smid at the NHL level, but if you can get a #4 d-man in the 10-20 range of a draft that is a win.
In an ideal world, he'll be in the AHL not just because we want him to develop more but because he can't make the team. Realistically, unless he really surprises people, a 20 year old Dman coming out of the SEL probably shouldn't be able to make your team.

Wheatking is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:22 AM
  #803
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 1-2 Whoop Whoop
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
In an ideal world, he'll be in the AHL not just because we want him to develop more but because he can't make the team. Realistically, unless he really surprises people, a 20 year old Dman coming out of the SEL probably shouldn't be able to make your team.
Tell that to Brodin, Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, and Larsson.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:13 AM
  #804
metallicat
@metallicat51
 
metallicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton AB, Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
I'd rather the Oilers be more conservative with these guys. If they have to be in the AHL for one, two, three years...whatever.

metallicat is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  #805
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I'd rather the Oilers be more conservative with these guys. If they have to be in the AHL for one, two, three years...whatever.
And as soon as the Oilers just get a Nik Lidstrom they'll do that.

It's better to Let him Earn his Spot. As it stands, he's considered better then Brodin, and Brodin is considered "amazing", so there's that.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:17 AM
  #806
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Tell that to Brodin, Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, and Larsson.
But ... but they have to learn the North American game!

NAF is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:24 AM
  #807
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout
 
Kid Dynamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 779
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Tell that to Brodin, Karlsson, OEL, Hedman, and Larsson.
Brodin spent time in the AHL prior to his rookie season. OEL got sent down to the AHL at the mid point of his rookie season.

Kid Dynamite is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:27 AM
  #808
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Brodin spent time in the AHL prior to his rookie season. OEL got sent down to the AHL at the mid point of his rookie season.
SO you're expecting a lockout next season?

No one is say he "can't go" to the AHL, but let him Earn his spot, if you just keep guys over him because they have to clear waivers and he doesn't that's stupid.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:56 AM
  #809
oilers92
Registered User
 
oilers92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
SO you're expecting a lockout next season?

No one is say he "can't go" to the AHL, but let him Earn his spot, if you just keep guys over him because they have to clear waivers and he doesn't that's stupid.
he was in the ahl for a game after the nhl started so there is that

oilers92 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:00 AM
  #810
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
he was in the ahl for a game after the nhl started so there is that
Because he was recovering from injury? So not we're hoping for a lockout and an injury for Klefbom?

I know Brodin was in the AHL, but hardly there to "be made to learn"

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
  #811
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
If he is not playing with the oilers in the nhl next year alarm bells are going off. Our defense still stinks badly so he should be able to make this team.


Last edited by Beerfish: 03-17-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: error
Beerfish is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:02 AM
  #812
JetsOilersfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
I agree he has to earn his spot. You guys think he can't? Should he spend a year in the AHL - yes. If he was on another team that had a solid D corps would he, yes. But you guys honestly think he can't beat out Potter and Peckham. Heck, I bet you at worst he's as consistent as Petry is. He'll make the team, take it for what you will, but he's a top 6 Dman in EDMONTON.

JetsOilersfan is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:44 AM
  #813
CupofOil
Fire Lowe
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
And as soon as the Oilers just get a Nik Lidstrom they'll do that.

It's better to Let him Earn his Spot. As it stands, he's considered better then Brodin, and Brodin is considered "amazing", so there's that.
At no point in his career has Klefbom been considered better than Brodin, maybe he closed the gap last season because he was so far behind Brodin in the first place but never better and i'm sure that SouthSwe can confirm this.

The point is that Brodin was considered NHL ready going into this season. Klefbom especially considering the fact that he lost a valuable season of development due to injury, will probably need a season in the AHL to get used to the pro game. If he absolutely blows the coaches away in Training Camp then he will have earned a spot but anything less and he should be AHL bound.

CupofOil is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 12:38 PM
  #814
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If he is not playing with the oilers in the nhl next year alarm bells are going off. Our defense still stinks badly so he should be able to make this team.
maybe alarms that our management is doing something right for a change

nabob is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
  #815
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
At no point in his career has Klefbom been considered better than Brodin, maybe he closed the gap last season because he was so far behind Brodin in the first place but never better and i'm sure that SouthSwe can confirm this.

The point is that Brodin was considered NHL ready going into this season. Klefbom especially considering the fact that he lost a valuable season of development due to injury, will probably need a season in the AHL to get used to the pro game. If he absolutely blows the coaches away in Training Camp then he will have earned a spot but anything less and he should be AHL bound.
I don't think Brodin was ever way ahead, but certainly a little bit. Both made the team in the SEL and Brodin was either playing on a pairing with him or one roster spot ahead. Also Klefbom was an All star at the WJC's, not Brodin. They both went relatively close to each other in the draft. To compare them to other high picks this is like Erik Johnson vs Ryan Murray, one is a big toolsy defensman who's potential is to be great at everything while the other is very mature and smart who's potential is to be great at everything just without the punishing style a Klefbom could bring. The big difference is given their skillsets it's more likely that Klefbom takes more time, toolsy guys usually do, and that Brodin is the safer choice but probably doesn't have the Shea Weber type upside of a Klefbom (not saying he will be Weber but the same kind of player perhaps). I'd take Brodin given his more certain future as a top pairing guy but it's certainly been close the whole time, Swedens national team coach Marts called Klefbom "the next big thing in Swedish hockey" for a reason.

Eskimo44 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 01:55 PM
  #816
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,406
vCash: 500
Brodin is a great young player but so is Klefbom IMO. Klefbom has the better physical tools when it comes to playing against bigger/stronger players, it's the difference between the Ladislav Smid type of defense vs. the Nick Schultz type of defense. One will use their body/size more, the other more positioning, angles, and stick. I for one gave up on Oscar playing this season, if he's ready, then let him finish up in Sweden and then have him come over to OKC ASAP.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:05 PM
  #817
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
At no point in his career has Klefbom been considered better than Brodin, maybe he closed the gap last season because he was so far behind Brodin in the first place but never better and i'm sure that SouthSwe can confirm this.

The point is that Brodin was considered NHL ready going into this season. Klefbom especially considering the fact that he lost a valuable season of development due to injury, will probably need a season in the AHL to get used to the pro game. If he absolutely blows the coaches away in Training Camp then he will have earned a spot but anything less and he should be AHL bound.
i think the pretty obvious path for klefbom is to start in the AHL, and if he plays well he'll be the first call-up for injury .... then if he plays well during his call up, he might just stick with the big club, if not, then it's back to the AHL for more seasoning

jadeddog is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
  #818
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Brodin is a great young player but so is Klefbom IMO. Klefbom has the better physical tools when it comes to playing against bigger/stronger players, it's the difference between the Ladislav Smid type of defense vs. the Nick Schultz type of defense. One will use their body/size more, the other more positioning, angles, and stick. I for one gave up on Oscar playing this season, if he's ready, then let him finish up in Sweden and then have him come over to OKC ASAP.
if klefbom can finish in sweden, is he eligible for AHL time this year? i don't know the rule on this one.... my memory is telling me that klefbom's SEL contract is up after this season, so he *should* be able to come over to the AHL once the SEL season is over, but my memory can be tricksy sometimes, lol

jadeddog is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
  #819
CupofOil
Fire Lowe
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I don't think Brodin was ever way ahead, but certainly a little bit. Both made the team in the SEL and Brodin was either playing on a pairing with him or one roster spot ahead. Also Klefbom was an All star at the WJC's, not Brodin. They both went relatively close to each other in the draft. To compare them to other high picks this is like Erik Johnson vs Ryan Murray, one is a big toolsy defensman who's potential is to be great at everything while the other is very mature and smart who's potential is to be great at everything just without the punishing style a Klefbom could bring. The big difference is given their skillsets it's more likely that Klefbom takes more time, toolsy guys usually do, and that Brodin is the safer choice but probably doesn't have the Shea Weber type upside of a Klefbom (not saying he will be Weber but the same kind of player perhaps). I'd take Brodin given his more certain future as a top pairing guy but it's certainly been close the whole time, Swedens national team coach Marts called Klefbom "the next big thing in Swedish hockey" for a reason.
I think it became close after last season when Klefbom's development took a major uptick from the WJC on but in general, Brodin was regarded as being well ahead of Klefbom developmentwise prior to that. I'm just basing it on the many scouting reports of Swedish fans who have watched both.

I would think that with Brodin now excelling at the NHL level like on a top pairing level and with Klefbom having suffered a setback due to the injury that the gap has significantly widened again. I've seen Brodin enough by now to know that he's an extremely special player, it's quite amazing how composed he is for a rookie.
However, Klefbom has all the tools to get close to Brodin's level if all goes well but the injury history certainly does complicate things. The Oilers need to be very careful with him and please for the love of god, don't rush this kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i think the pretty obvious path for klefbom is to start in the AHL, and if he plays well he'll be the first call-up for injury .... then if he plays well during his call up, he might just stick with the big club, if not, then it's back to the AHL for more seasoning
That's how i see it as well.
It's too bad that he got injured this season because he was gaining a ton of momentum. I pray that this injury doesn't derail his development.
I know that he's apparently healthy again but we know all too well how tricky shoulder injuries can be.

CupofOil is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
  #820
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I think it became close after last season when Klefbom's development took a major uptick from the WJC on but in general, Brodin was regarded as being well ahead of Klefbom developmentwise prior to that. I'm just basing it on the many scouting reports of Swedish fans who have watched both.

I would think that with Brodin now excelling at the NHL level like on a top pairing level and with Klefbom having suffered a setback due to the injury that the gap has significantly widened again. I've seen Brodin enough by now to know that he's an extremely special player, it's quite amazing how composed he is for a rookie.
However, Klefbom has all the tools to get close to Brodin's level if all goes well but the injury history certainly does complicate things. The Oilers need to be very careful with him and please for the love of god, don't rush this kid.



That's how i see it as well.
It's too bad that he got injured this season because he was gaining a ton of momentum. I pray that this injury doesn't derail his development.
I know that he's apparently healthy again but we know all too well how tricky shoulder injuries can be.
I would think that's stating the obvious... One of them is already playing top pair D, +22 min/game, in the NHL, the other hasn't played since October.

Klefbom and Brodin has always been compared, more so since they played on the same team in the SEL and of course being the same age. Brodin has been a bit ahead for a while now, even though Klefbom has had his moments (WJC for example) but it has not been considered a huge gap.

I guess my point is that who knows how Klefbom will do over here but honestly, if he manages to play half as well as Brodin is playing right know he's a lock for our 2nd pair imo. The AHL-treatment is very useful sometimes but there are many examples (especially of Euro-players) where it has not been necessary. In the end I believe that it will come down to how he performs in TC and the pre-season. If he earns a spot he'll get it and continue to develop here, if not, OKC.

Anyway, all of this is very hypothetical.

LaGu is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
  #821
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,529
vCash: 500
Klefbom's quotes from the interview (paraphrasing a bit):
Quote:
(About playing the finals)
- This is an issue for Edmonton right now. I am going there in three weeks, go on ice with the guys and try to get into it a bit a bit more.

(About how he's feeling)
- I've been on ice three or four times already to try out my shoulder and it has felt surprisingly good. My shoulder doesn't hurt and I don't feel any pain when shooting and playing around.

- But I haven't tried the slap shot yet and I have not played close contact, but my first impression is that it has felt good.

(About when he may be able to do a comeback)
It's difficult to say. The shoulder feels great and technically I think I could play. This is a question for Edmonton, but you never know. They want me to train so that I'll be in as good shape as possible.

- If I would not have been under contract I might have been able to take a chance in this situation. Maybe using some sort of support and playing smart.

(About his visit in Edmonton in three weeks)
- We will see what they say, if they think it's ok for me to play the final series or not. I am their player, but if they give the go ahead I will definitely want to be playing with the team in the finals.

(Klefbom adds an extra comment at the end of the interview)

It is very important that my body is feeling good so that I can play my "full" game without being afraid out there.

LaGu is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 04:10 PM
  #822
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
if klefbom can finish in sweden, is he eligible for AHL time this year? i don't know the rule on this one.... my memory is telling me that klefbom's SEL contract is up after this season, so he *should* be able to come over to the AHL once the SEL season is over, but my memory can be tricksy sometimes, lol
I believe he can much like Silvferberg did with Ottawa last season.

nabob is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 04:11 PM
  #823
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Klefbom's quotes from the interview (paraphrasing a bit):
Thanks, seems like a bright kid who gets it.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
  #824
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Nothing wrong with having him spend a time in the AHL. Heck, even the year in the AHL wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure he will be more than a Ladislav Smid at the NHL level, but if you can get a #4 d-man in the 10-20 range of a draft that is a win.
He has more offense talent then Smid does, that's forsure. He's more two-way where Smid is a lot more one dimensional.

SephF is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
  #825
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I think it became close after last season when Klefbom's development took a major uptick from the WJC on but in general, Brodin was regarded as being well ahead of Klefbom developmentwise prior to that. I'm just basing it on the many scouting reports of Swedish fans who have watched both.

I would think that with Brodin now excelling at the NHL level like on a top pairing level and with Klefbom having suffered a setback due to the injury that the gap has significantly widened again. I've seen Brodin enough by now to know that he's an extremely special player, it's quite amazing how composed he is for a rookie.
However, Klefbom has all the tools to get close to Brodin's level if all goes well but the injury history certainly does complicate things. The Oilers need to be very careful with him and please for the love of god, don't rush this kid.
I agree with that my point is Klefbom was considered to be a longerterm project. Some guys are rare in that they are very composed but don't neccesairly have as much development to go as the typical player because of it. Vlasic, Murray, Brodin are guys i think are very rare and valuable but they don't develop quite as much as player like Klefbom who's still trying to figure out how to use every tool in his toolbox efficently. Brodin certainly has more offensive capablility than a guy like Vlasic but i don't think he's got the kind of impact game that a guy like Doughty brought as a young player, so i'm a little uncertain about the longterm upside. Obviously the sky's the limit for Brodin, all i'm saying is it's far from a certainty he continues to develop on his skillset as much as a guy like Klefbom will. Like i said Brodin>Klefbom is the fair call but all along there's been a lot of hype about Klefbom and his skillset being something very rare. So rare it was never considered a certainty that Brodin would be better than Klefbom. In fact this is the rankings of hockeys future, which IMO presents an interesting and unbiased source:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...2012-13/page/3

Ranked one after the other, Brodin at 28 and Klefbom at 29.

The rankings for 2011-2012 postseason actually had Klefbom ahead at 21, with Brodin at 30.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...11-2012/page/3

Don't need to tell me about being careful with Klefbom, i'd hope he at least gets some games in at the AHL level to establish himself in NA and i wouldn't be adverse to him playing him down there for a season or two if thats what it takes. Obviously we'd have to blue sky it to say the year off doesn't hurt him. But if it did happen and low and behold he's the same player he was at the beggining of the SEL season there's a chance he plays NHL minutes right away, especially with this managment group.


Last edited by Eskimo44: 03-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Eskimo44 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.