HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kichton rejects contract, likely to re-enter NHL draft (Drafted by WPG 190th overall)

Old
03-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
i can see him going in the 2nd....There has to be more to it then he just thinks he could go higher....wtf...This team/franchise can never catch a break
There is. He becomes a FA, which means he can go to the highest bidder. Staple screwed up, and as such I don't believe he was totally honest with the information he "heard" vs. the information he himself is putting together.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
xECK29x

Whatever we have players of similar mold on the system.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Renbarg

Ok, I think I'm wrong. So ignore my previous rant.

He can re-enter the draft, he only becomes a FA if he doesn't get drafted.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Brooklanders*

This infuriates me. The guy has the most pts by a Dman in the WHL. NYI need to stop drafting kids from Spokane.
DIdnt you learn the first time around with Spurgeon Snow? geez

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:05 PM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
He's an entry level contract, so chuck him a little more $$$ and call it a day. He's going to get the max entry-level 3 years deal (??), so this is about money.

03-16-2013, 07:11 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
This infuriates me. The guy has the most pts by a Dman in the WHL. NYI need to stop drafting kids from Spokane.
He has had the most points in the WHL for a defenceman for the last 3 years straight.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Degeneration Rex

If you want to sign a player do it when eligible to turn pro. They could have signed Kichton last summer, no problem. They could have made room fo him somewhere. I do not believe money was the issue, Kichton could have been making some money in the AHL rather than not getting paid in junior.

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:19 PM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
If you want to sign a player do it when eligible to turn pro. They could have signed Kichton last summer, no problem. They could have made room fo him somewhere.
It takes two to make a deal. Maybe Kichton didn't want to sign last year.

The Underboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Just from what he said on The Pipeline Show saying he was disappointed not playing in Bridgeport, kind of says he wanted to sign at least in my view anyway. What really went on we do not know.

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
On his birthday last year i remember he he tweeted something to the effect of all i want for my birthday is a contract #isles so i don't think that was the case. He does seem to want to stick it to the islanders for not signing him last year.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
On his birthday last year i remember he he tweeted something to the effect of all i want for my birthday is a contract #isles so i don't think that was the case. He does seem to want to stick it to the islanders for not signing him last year.
This is correct

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I personally get why Kitchon wasn't invited to play in Bridgeport. We already had De Haan, Ness and Donovan there taking that small PMD role, but once De Haan got injured they should had been calling Kitchon right away to fill his spot.
I hear you, and somewhat agree..... but when you start worrying more about having a balanced lineup in the minors than holding onto prospects, it might be time to re-evaluate your player development priorities.

The AHL is for producing NHL talent. I could care less if the Sound Tigers go undefeated or lose every game they play, as long as they keep producing NHL talent.

It was a dumb move not signing this kid, regardless of what we had in the AHL. This coming from a guy that constantly sticks up for Garth Snow (me).

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:18 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I hear you, and somewhat agree..... but when you start worrying more about having a balanced lineup in the minors than holding onto prospects, it might be time to re-evaluate your player development priorities.

The AHL is for producing NHL talent. I could care less if the Sound Tigers go undefeated or lose every game they play, as long as they keep producing NHL talent.

It was a dumb move not signing this kid, regardless of what we had in the AHL. This coming from a guy that constantly sticks up for Garth Snow (me).
We can still sign him. This is probably just posturing.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:21 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

I think the theory is it will hurt the other 3 players development if he plays, all that being said if it's a problem that's what the ECHL is for

All that being said yeah they should have signed him and gave him a chance. They are idiotic thinking if they don't sign him and he gets a chance at seasons end to go somewhere else he most likely won't take it

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:36 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Draft him again.
in the 7th round this time

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

So much emphasis on this being a mistake by the Islanders. Let's wait to see how this plays out. Sometimes these prospects are too clever by half and have the wrong people advising them. I do think Kichton is a sure fire NHL regular, and the only thing that could hold him back is defensive play. His offensive upside is quite large.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:39 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
So much emphasis on this being a mistake by the Islanders. Let's wait to see how this plays out. Sometimes these prospects are too clever by half and have the wrong people advising them. I do think Kichton is a sure fire NHL regular, and the only thing that could hold him back is defensive play. His offensive upside is quite large.
From my understanding Kitchon is good at many things great at none all while being an average skater. I don't believe he is a sure fire NHLer but he has potential to be a bottom 4 pairing guy

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I blame the arena on why we can't sign our prospects.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:46 AM
kuwo

He was the best offensive d-man in WHL past three seasons. Would it hurt the Isles too much if they offered him maximum ELC salary?
What would be the point of reentering the draft for him then?

kuwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:37 AM
OlTimeHockey

He wanted to sign last year, doesn't this year. What's changed?

Brooklyn.

I believe he had his hopes on the Isles playing on Staten Island.

He's a goner now.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:31 AM
IslesNorway

Maybe he had a look at the Isles prospect pool and didn't fancy his chances?

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:03 AM
steveat

He wants to play in the NHL..he wants a contract.. we know these things already...what we don't know is what he is thinking.

I have a theory. He wanted to sign last year and play in Bport this year and take his chances next season to make it to the big club. Isles need defencemen. Then, we drafted 7 def prospects last year and this year picked up 4 more. We have like 19 def in our system not including the guys on the team already. Kitchton doesn't like his chances..plain and simple.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Wagner

Spokane kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Maybe he had a look at the Isles prospect pool and didn't fancy his chances?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Fact. Spurgeon was told that hockey was not in his future he should go to school, therefore not signed,I think he logs 20-25 for the wild

Fact. Kichton offered low ball offer in summer, which still stands today he is not in islanders plans. Only options trade him for something or go back in draft.

All these kids want to do is hockey.

There is no way nyi will burn up a year of elc to bring Kichton up to Bridgeport . It's all about money hence their reputation! and record!

Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:16 AM
kasper11

I think it is more likely to be a money issue...Isles offering close to the league minimum, Kichton seeking closer to the deal that Donavan got.

I don't think it is just about the Isles' prospect pool...he is taking a risk on re-entering the draft.

Kichton may have taken the minimum last year when he could have spent this year in the AHL instead of juniors. Now, he would rather take his chance on being drafted higher and getting paid more.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran journeyman

That's a bummer about Kichton. Seemed like the kid wanted to play here in the summer too...should have just signed him, unless they thought it was critically important that Jon Landry get minutes for Bridgeport?

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote