HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Speculate on our long-term D-corps

Old
03-17-2013, 04:06 AM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Let's Speculate on our long-term D-corps

Currently:
Andrei Markov - UFA 2014
Josh Gorges - UFA 2018
PK Subban - RFA 2014
Alexei Emelin - UFA 2014
Raphael Diaz - UFA 2014
Francis Bouillon - UFA 2013
Tomas Kaberle - Probably bought out this summer.
In the near (0-2 years)future:
Jarred Tinordi, looked good in his first game apparently
Greg Pateryn, progressing well, could become another Gorges
Nathan Beaulieu, progressing well and getting more and more responsibilities in Hamilton
Morgan Ellis, apparently playing well in his first season in Hamilton
In the intermediate future (2-3 years):
Magnus Nygren, won an award in the SEL, could become good or could become the next Nicklas Torp
Darren Dietz, other people around the forum like him a lot.
Dalton Thrower, other people around the forum like him a lot, and really good at fighting.

What do you expect will happen?

Last edited by DAChampion: 03-17-2013 at 04:54 AM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:16 AM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
Im interested in seeing what happens in 2014 with so many UFAs but as for our prospects i suspect tinordi and beaulieu to become 2nd pairing D while Subban solidifies his Elite status. We may have problems with finding a true number 2D but i think guys like thrower and pateryn will provide considerable depth. The defence will be one of if not the cornerstone for the team in coming years. Put that in front of price and we have a tough team to play against.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:17 AM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

There's going to be a bit of a log jam in 2014 if we plan to keep both Diaz and Emelin, and I don't see why you wouldn't. Both are (or were) having pretty stellar sophomore years. Time will tell. Markov has obviously lost a step, but is still capable of playing top 4 minutes as of right now. Even if he does regress a little... there are suitable replacements. Plus having Markov on your 3rd pairing as a special teams guy would be pretty sick.

Bouillon, while an awesome signing will likely find himself elsewhere next year (salute) and Kaberle... well he gets more hate than he deserves but he's likely our 2nd buyout candidate.

Nygren just re-upped with his SEL team, so he's likely not coming next couple years.

Tinordi looks like he won't be needing more than this year at the minor level. If he can play as consistently as he did tonight (and it's only one game so there will almost definitely be some growing pains) he might even earn his way into the lineup for the rest of the year based on necessity. One of Habs few holes IMO has been size on the Blueline, the 3rd pairing all in general.

Beaulieu I have only seen in a handful of games over a big period of time so I'm not too sure, but I figure a player with his skillset might be better off sitting in the minors and developing longer. With PK/Markov/Diaz there really isn't a need for a puck-mover anyways, and you'd have to assume he won't be able to out perform any of the 3 anytime soon.

Pateryn seemed ok. I've really not seen much of him. He shoots right and that's a plus, they seem to be rare. His direct competition is Tinordi.

If our lineup looks like this:

Gorges/Subban
Markov/Emelin
Tinordi/Diaz
Pateryn

Next year, I won't complain.

Also leaves Beaulieu, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower, Nygren all in the system.

Mac Bennet (Not Mark Macmillan lol) is apparently having a decent year in the NCAA, points wise.

Let's all take a second to salute Trevor Timmins.

Last edited by imisssaku: 03-17-2013 at 04:41 AM. Reason: I'm silly.
imisssaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:23 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssaku View Post
Mark Macmillan is also having a decent year in the NCAA, I watched one game this year and he's an incredible skater. All I know of him.

There's going to be a bit of a log jam in 2014 if we plan to keep both Diaz and Emelin, and I don't see why you wouldn't. Both are (or were) having pretty stellar sophomore years. Time will tell. Markov has obviously lost a step, but is still capable of playing top 4 minutes as of right now. Even if he does regress a little... there are suitable replacements. Plus having Markov on your 3rd pairing as a special teams guy would be pretty sick.

Bouillon, while an awesome signing will likely find himself elsewhere next year (salute) and Kaberle... well he gets more hate than he deserves but he's likely our 2nd buyout candidate.

Nygren just re-upped with his SEL team, so he's likely not coming next couple years.

Tinordi looks like he won't be needing more than this year at the minor level. If he can play as consistently as he did tonight (and it's only one game so there will almost definitely be some growing pains) he might even earn his way into the lineup for the rest of the year based on necessity. One of Habs few holes IMO has been size on the Blueline, the 3rd pairing all in general.

Beaulieu I have only seen in a handful of games over a big period of time so I'm not too sure, but I figure a player with his skillset might be better off sitting in the minors and developing longer. With PK/Markov/Diaz there really isn't a need for a puck-mover anyways, and you'd have to assume he won't be able to out perform any of the 3 anytime soon.

Pateryn seemed ok. I've really not seen much of him. He shoots right and that's a plus, they seem to be rare. His direct competition is Tinordi.

If our lineup looks like this:

Gorges/Subban
Markov/Emelin
Tinordi/Diaz
Pateryn

Next year, I won't complain.

Also leaves Beaulieu, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower, Macmillan, Nygren all in the system.

Let's all take a second to salute Trevor Timmins.
I think Macmillan is a forward.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:27 AM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

Whoops, I get him and Mac Bennet mixed up. I have no idea why. Bennet is having an ok season points wise, I don't know much more.

Macmillan is the guy I watched though, and he is a great skater. No idea why I thought he was a D.

imisssaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:36 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

It's an interesting question, but we're still in heavy speculation territory if you ask me. Guys like Dietz, Thrower, Nygren and Ellis could all be good nhlers, but it's hard to know atm. What I know is this:

Subban is our no. 1 D for years to come.
Markov is a great player, but he's becoming a liability defensively. If he wants the same contract in 2014, i think we should let him go, if we cant persuade him to take a pay cut.
Gorges is our next captain, and should be here for awhile.
Emelin is playing well and still improving. I think he's one of our more under appreciated players.
Diaz has impressed me a lot this year with his defensive awareness, he's a quick learner, and a really good PP guy.
Bouillon is a great team guy, and they should probably re-sign him for another year contract next year.
Kaberle is gone.
Tinordi will be part of the D corps next year for sure, in some capacity.(maybe earlier)
Beaulieu is a bit of a wildcard. He might end up being trade bait if something huge comes along.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:40 AM
BrimStone64

Elemin be re-upped. Diaz have to see how he comes back. Nygren we have to offer a contract to keep his rights? Not sure how that works with the SEL. He was their defenseman of the year so imagine they will.

Pateryn looks like future trade bait.

Beaulieu should make it, maybe replace Markov's offense in 2014. Deitz should be steady, Ellis been logging a lot of minutes he could be another Gorges. I'm not sold on Bennett yet, size, numbers and 23. Habs probably take another one in this draft. Diaby or somebody.

BrimStone64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:01 AM
DAChampion

I edited the OP to mention Morgan Ellis, which was a careless omission on my part.

I see trades for forwards in the future, and I hope Bergevin does this right. There are two ways to do this:

1) The Gainey way. In 2008/09 Montreal had a lot of D-prospects: Fischer, McDonagh, Subban, Torp, O'Byrne, etc. Gainey tried to trade Subban for Lecavalier and failed, and then he traded McDonagh for Gomez.

2) The Shero way. Pittsburgh has had a lot of D in their system. In 2009 they traded Ryan Whitney for Chris Kunitz and Eric Tangradi. In 2011, he traded Goligoski to Dallas for James Neal and Matt Niskanen.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:14 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

My knowledge of prospects is wholly Habscentric. Does anybody else have the prospect depth at D that we have?

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
My knowledge of prospects is wholly Habscentric. Does anybody else have the prospect depth at D that we have?
Yotes (Gromley, Rundblad), Avs (Siemens, Barrie, Elliot, Gaunce, Beaupre, Lauridsen), CBJ (Savard, Erixon, Murray), Oilers (Klefbom, Schultz, Maricin), Wild (Brodin, Dumba), Pens (Morrow, Pouliot, Maata, Despers), Leafs (Gardiner, Rielly, Holzer, Percy) etc all have good ones. There's a lot of teams with good prospects in the NHL, but their transition to the NHL isn't an exact science.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:54 AM
bras meurtris
rise in darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Nop. And our d-corps in 4-5 years will be unbelievable.

bras meurtris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:00 AM
TennisMenace

We have trade bait for sure. Lets hope we can fill a need using all of these assets.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:23 AM
LeHabsMan

Next year: Subban, Gorges, Markov, Emelin, Diaz, Tinordi and Pateryn.
2-3 years: Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, Diaz, Beaulieu and Ellis.
3-4 years: Subban, Gorges, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and 2 of Thrower, Dietz and Emelin.

Trade bait: Markov after next season, Pateryn after next season, Diaz when Beaulieu is ready and 1 of Thrower, Dietz and Emelin in 3 or 4 years.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:27 AM
shutehinside

I think Tinordi will replace Boo next season on the left side of the bottom pairing. Probably play with Diaz.

Markov Emelin
Gorges PK
Tinordi Diaz

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Mr. Hab

2 years from now:

Tinordi-PK Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Beaulieu-Ellis
J.Subban
Thrower
Dietz
Pateryn

But, we'll probably add a solid (non-injury prone) top 4 dman.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user

Biggest decision IMO will be to decide if we re-sign Markov. His role as a PP QB will need to be filled from within by either Diaz or Beaulieu, so we'll need to audition both extensively next year to see if Markov's cap hit can be better used elsewhere or if he's still too valuable for the PP. 5-on-5 I think his minutes can already be replaced.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:41 AM
HabsSlappy

The way I see it, we are in great shape on defense.
2013-14: Subban Markov Gorges Emelin Diaz Tinordi Bouillon; Possibility that Diaz is traded at deadline if Beaulieu looks to be ready to take his spot and if we won't be able to fit him under the cap the next season.
2014-15: Subban Markov Gorges Emelin Tinordi Beaulieu Ellis; I expect Markov to be playing for 3 to 4 million and on our second or third pairing by this point.
2015 and beyond: This is the latest that we need to plan for Markov's replacement. Maybe Beaulieu can step in and do it if he keeps progressing. Most likely though, I think it will have to come from UFA or trade. We will have a better idea of what Ellis Dietz Bennett Thrower are going to become and can possibly use them at trade bait to help with acquiring forwards.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
pcamp

I have a feeling Tinordi-Subban will be our top shutdown pairing for a long time . And I' really like to draft Samuel Morin too he has a lot of offensive potential that people dont really see + the mean streak

pcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

What happened to Weber? I don't see him on anyone's list.

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:19 AM
StapleA

Why is Torp in that list?

StapleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
I have a feeling Tinordi-Subban will be our top shutdown pairing for a long time . And I' really like to draft Samuel Morin too he has a lot of offensive potential that people dont really see + the mean streak
Aren't both their natural sides on the right?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:22 AM
pcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Aren't both their natural sides on the right?
No Tinordi is a lefty

pcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:26 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Depending how players develop, 2014 could be a really good year. Having a logjam in defence is a happy problem to have. I would not complain if all the above mentioned prospects develop as expected and give our management a problem that needs to be solved. Teams are really struggling looking for defense, and yet our problem could be too much defense. This opens up a great opportunity to move one or more defenceman (down the road) for good quality forwards or a big center. I love how the cupboard is full, its been a long long time since we could be giddy about that.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:27 AM
otto bond

Am I the only one who thinks Kaberle still has trade value? Not sure he is going to get bough out. A team like Philly, Nashville, Dallas, Columbus could have interest come draft time or even come trade dead line.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:28 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
No Tinordi is a lefty
I know, but I thought his natural side was the right side.

Huh. So your telling me Tinordi actually was playing on his weak side yesterday?! Damn.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote