HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 09:58 AM
  #326
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
My hopes for Mo' Riels

This year - finish with Marlies
Next year - WHL for year, Marlies during playoffs
Year after - Full time NHL
Year after that - AHL

Hopefully they don't follow the Gardiner developmental model

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:00 AM
  #327
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,944
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
My hopes for Mo' Riels

This year - finish with Marlies
Next year - WHL for year, Marlies during playoffs
Year after - Full time AHL
Year after that - NHL
Yeah...that's not going to happen.

He'll be in the NHL or WHL next year, definitely in the NHL the year after that.

Why does Rielly need a full year in the AHL?

He's smart, good defensively and a great skater. Just because it doesn't hurt having young guys in the AHL doesn't mean every player needs to go to the AHL.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:00 AM
  #328
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Settle your expectations, he's a fantastic player but you can't rush him. I've talked to people very close to him, who have seen him player every game of his WHL career. Some of those people don't think he's quite ready for the jump straight to the NHL.

I don't necessarily agree with those people, but I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't moved up the scale as quickly as some of you think.
At this point in time, I fully expect another year in the Dub from him. Which is fine.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:04 AM
  #329
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah...that's not going to happen.

He'll be in the NHL or WHL next year, definitely in the NHL the year after that.

Why does Rielly need a full year in the AHL?

He's smart, good defensively and a great skater. Just because it doesn't hurt having young guys in the AHL doesn't mean every player needs to go to the AHL.
IMHO because he missed almost an entire season of development. He's a guy who should really be in the AHL next year, I don't think his defensive game will be challenged/developed enough in junior, but it's prolly not NHL-ready either...too bad it's between the WHL and NHL for him next year.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:07 AM
  #330
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,944
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
IMHO because he missed almost an entire season of development. He's a guy who should really be in the AHL next year, I don't think his defensive game will be challenged/developed enough in junior, but it's prolly not NHL-ready either...too bad it's between the WHL and NHL for him next year.
Entire year of development is not an excuse to let one of your best prospect be in the AHL when he could help the Leafs in the NHL.

Alex Galchenyuk missed an entire year of development. Ryan Murray is just about to miss an entire year of development too.

He was one of the last cuts last year and there is no reason why it would take Rielly another 2 years to make the NHL.

I can imagine the Leafs sending him back next year in the WHL and be the top pairing D at the WJC but I can't see them sending him to the AHL just because he missed a year of development.

That missed year hasn't had an impact on his game, so it's not exactly a missed year.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:08 AM
  #331
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,537
vCash: 500
I get the feeling that Nonis / Carlyle will lean towards keeping players in the minors too long vs rushing them.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:14 AM
  #332
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,944
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I get the feeling that Nonis / Carlyle will lean towards keeping players in the minors too long vs rushing them.
Schenn was the only player the Leafs "rushed" but even then Schenn was always going to be a defensive D. I don't think an extra year at Kelowna would have helped him with his skating or offensive skills.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:15 AM
  #333
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Entire year of development is not an excuse to let one of your best prospect be in the AHL when he could help the Leafs in the NHL.

Alex Galchenyuk missed an entire year of development. Ryan Murray is just about to miss an entire year of development too.

He was one of the last cuts last year and there is no reason why it would take Rielly another 2 years to make the NHL.

I can imagine the Leafs sending him back next year in the WHL and be the top pairing D at the WJC but I can't see them sending him to the AHL just because he missed a year of development.

That missed year hasn't had an impact on his game, so it's not exactly a missed year.
Galchenyuk is a forward, that is a big defference right there. Entering last summer's draft, Murray had played the better parts of 3 seasons in the dub, while Rielly had 1 season plus an 18 game season.

As for that missed year not having made an impact in his game, I don't think it's possible to know exactly where his game would be if he didn't miss that season. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but I just feel this coaching/management regime will want him to hone his defensive game before he's an NHL'r.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:18 AM
  #334
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Schenn was the only player the Leafs "rushed" but even then Schenn was always going to be a defensive D. I don't think an extra year at Kelowna would have helped him with his skating or offensive skills.
In the end, Nonis must look back at rushing Schenn as a mistake...imho.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:14 AM
  #335
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
I think Rielly has a chance to play a few NHL games next season just like Ryan Murphy was able to this year, not expecting him to stick just yet, but everything is possible

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:16 AM
  #336
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
My hopes for Mo' Riels

This year - finish with Marlies
Next year - WHL for year, Marlies during playoffs
Year after - Full time AHL
Year after that - NHL
This. I Honestly wish the Leafs did this with every prospect. I wanted them to do it with both Kadri and Schenn, and look how that turned out for Kadri, and how it almost screwed up Schenn.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82088&dateline=135762  5592
Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:21 AM
  #337
HSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,091
vCash: 500
You can't just apply one formula to every player....

Some players are ready some aren't at certain pts.... Reilly is really close

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:21 AM
  #338
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,079
vCash: 50
Temper your expectations, guys.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:28 AM
  #339
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFratt View Post
This. I Honestly wish the Leafs did this with every prospect. I wanted them to do it with both Kadri and Schenn, and look how that turned out for Kadri, and how it almost screwed up Schenn.
Not every player needs it though. There's no reason to do this development plan for every prospect because for some it would be just holding them back. Schenn and Kadri are two examples of players that needed it. Schenn because he was one dimensional and had other parts of his game still too raw. Kadri because he was way too small and weak and wasn't good defensively.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
  #340
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Not every player needs it though. There's no reason to do this development plan for every prospect because for some it would be just holding them back. Schenn and Kadri are two examples of players that needed it. Schenn because he was one dimensional and had other parts of his game still too raw. Kadri because he was way too small and weak and wasn't good defensively.
Unlike Rielly?

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:29 PM
  #341
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,944
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Unlike Rielly?
Rielly is average defensively. He's not bad

I guess when a player is as talented as Rielly, you find other parts of his game to be bad.

Look at all his scouting reports before he was drafted.

He doesn't need AHL time. You don't have the same blueprint for every player. That's not a recipe for success.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:51 PM
  #342
Sundinisagod
Weed
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Rielly is average defensively. He's not bad

I guess when a player is as talented as Rielly, you find other parts of his game to be bad.

Look at all his scouting reports before he was drafted.

He doesn't need AHL time. You don't have the same blueprint for every player. That's not a recipe for success.

Carlyle seems intent on keeping around enough RH defenders to his liking. I think Gardiner has been a victim of this mentality (I mean, Holzer and Kostka over Gardiner??, come on), and it's gonna make it hard for Rielly to beat out all the lefties...that said, if he plays well in the AHL this year, and has a good training camp/pre-season, I hope that he's given a chance with the big club...I can't wait to see him in the big show.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:40 PM
  #343
bigdirty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 883
vCash: 500
I believe Randy Carlyle said that if they had been able to get him into some pre-season games, Rielly might have made the team this year.

Can't say I agree with that, but it's Carlyle's opinion that actually matters. He had no problem giving Cam Fowler a job as 18 year old. Unless Rielly somehow takes a step back in his development, it's highly likely he plays for the Leafs next season, regardless of what any of us thinks is best for his development.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
  #344
OptimusForever
#teambernier
 
OptimusForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 50
Ill bet all my vcash that rielly is with the leafs next year

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:53 PM
  #345
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,417
vCash: 500
@ReidmitchellTO: @MapleLeafs prospect Morgan Rielly today named @TheWHL Eastern Conference first team all-star and named East Conf. Defenceman of the year.

He also plays his first game with the Marlies tonight I think.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
  #346
axecrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
@ReidmitchellTO: @MapleLeafs prospect Morgan Rielly today named @TheWHL Eastern Conference first team all-star and named East Conf. Defenceman of the year.

He also plays his first game with the Marlies tonight I think.
Needs to either be assigned to Marlies by Leafs or sign ATO with Marlies to play and as of now neither has been reported by AHL

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:39 PM
  #347
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Good to hear that he was named WHL defensemen of the year.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
  #348
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
I believe Randy Carlyle said that if they had been able to get him into some pre-season games, Rielly might have made the team this year.

Can't say I agree with that, but it's Carlyle's opinion that actually matters. He had no problem giving Cam Fowler a job as 18 year old. Unless Rielly somehow takes a step back in his development, it's highly likely he plays for the Leafs next season, regardless of what any of us thinks is best for his development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Ill bet all my vcash that rielly is with the leafs next year
This.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
  #349
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFratt View Post
This. I Honestly wish the Leafs did this with every prospect. I wanted them to do it with both Kadri and Schenn, and look how that turned out for Kadri, and how it almost screwed up Schenn.
Why should every prospect follow the same model? It doesn't make sense to me. Not every prospect is the same. Some need more, some need less. There is simply no reason to keep a player in the CHL if he can not learn anything from it.

Tyler Seguin is a perfect example. He simple had no more to learn. Keeping him the CHL wasn't going to help him. So the Bruins kept him up with the team.

Long story short, not every player should be kept on a deviating development model.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
  #350
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,662
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Good to hear that he was named WHL defensemen of the year.
Except that he wasn't.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.