HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Darren Dietz

Old
03-17-2013, 10:31 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
So by that logic, let's also wait on Dietz right?
.... Lawyered.

Okay, let's wait until they become full pro..?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

Trade our 1st round pick for 6x 5th round
Trade our 3 2nd round picks for 12x 5th round
and trade our 2 3rd round pick for 4x 5th round

We'll tear the league apart in 4 years!!

That's the trend. At this point, even with this draft coming and the tons of great picks we have top 3....we will be excited the most when our pick in the 5th round comes...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Like you said, he's a gifted offensive D, he's often like a 4th forward out there, but he can also play a shutdown defensive role and has good size. He absolutely destroyed the WHL in the 2nd half of this season.

His skating is probably the part he needs to work on to maximize his NHL chances. It's not bad, but it's not really good either. Somewhere in-between.
Have you seen him in a game or just on tv or just reading other comments??
I watched him one game in Kamloops this year when Thrower and Siemens were injured and to me he was the best skater on the ice.His skating backwards and transition to forward was like he learned figure skating at a young age! He is alot better than Pulock skating...when I was watching DD I thought of someone the style of Kevin Bieksa for skating ,puckhandling , wrist shot and physical play. I am no scout but was really impressed with him that game..had to play over 30 minutes I think cause of injuries

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Excellent news!

He's consistently been one of the best Habs prospects every week.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Dekar

It was only a matter of time, the way he was playing this. Let's hope the next step in his development is sooner than later. I'm expecting him to step into the NHL somewhere around 2015, but sooner would be nice!

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

People should though be careful about their offensive expectations of him in the pros. He shouldn'T repeat that. He's actually toying with those kids in Juniors, something we don't later on. He will surely be used on the PP in the future, might even rack 10-15 goals at some point but that should be it unless.....we make him a forward.

But Dietz might very well be one of our most complete d-man we have in the system. People talked about the fact that Pateryn looked like the guy, with him being used on the PP in Michigan and all but seriously, it was clear that he would not be that offensive in the pros. Still ways to go but I don't think I'm wrong with that prediction. But Dietz, might very well be at that point.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
And Hudon
Dumont is also playing in the NHL. Do we have 5th this year?

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:04 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
so... He's a gifted 2-way defenseman, able to do shutdown and pinch on the offense...?

...damn, how many of those do we have?!?!?!

He'll join the Dogs next season, I hope, and maybe graduate after a year of development.
We have Emelin, Tinordi, Ellis, Thrower to play shutdown style hockey and the rest will be perfect to transition a young speedy team with future guys like, Gallagher, Galchenyuck, Collberg, Kristo, doing the scoring. Nice to know that Montreal can now draft heavily forward prospects to rebuild the offensive side.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Tyson

I don't think any scout would have projected that Darren Dietz develop this quickly. He still has some improving to do but he could become another great 5th round pick. WHL D, very tough player!

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:15 AM
BubbleGumPlant

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
We have Emelin, Tinordi, Ellis, Thrower to play shutdown style hockey and the rest will be perfect to transition a young speedy team with future guys like, Gallagher, Galchenyuck, Collberg, Kristo, doing the scoring. Nice to know that Montreal can now draft heavily forward prospects to rebuild the offensive side.
Nothing against Timmins, but Habs have to start drafting some size on the wing. I have nothing against the short guys but there has to be balance.

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
Kristo next?
Rumors are the Habs wont sign him. Too much of a trouble maker.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Habber

I've watched a fair amount of Blades games this year and have been very impressed with Dietz. Last season I would have put Thrower ahead of him as a prospect but this year it's not even close, Dietz is the man.

Despite his awesome offensive stats this year, he is not a gifted offensive defenceman. His scoring is a function of having a great shot and playing on an offensively talented team. His goals come from either a shot from the point or being the trailer that everyone forgets about. He will jump up offensively, but rarely will he lead a rush. He's more apt to make a good first pass out of the zone.

He is playing first unit PP (replaced Siemens who no longer gets PP time), PK and logs the bulk of the tough minutes. He is not a QB-type on the PP, rather just a big shot. He's a guy who does all the little things right: positionally sound, makes smart reads, wins puck battles consistently and makes good breakout passes. This will be his place in the NHL, solid defensive play with an ability to chip in on offence from time to time.

I don't see his skating as an issue. He doesn't have jets but really not required for this style of play. It's more about being in the right place at the right time with him.

I foresee him needing a couple seasons in the AHL before being ready for the NHL. Might take him a bit to adjust to the speed of the game, as it does for most d-men of his profile.

By all accounts, seems to be a good leader with a strong character. I'll be at most of the Blades playoff games as well as the Memorial Cup and always keep a close eye on him, so any questions feel free to shoot them my way.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:22 AM
BubbleGumPlant

Dietz has 13 PPG which leads the Blades (2nd has 10, 3rd has 8 and 4th has 5). He is also only +9 on a team that has 6 guys with +18 or higher. Is it safe to say (without ever seeing him play) that he has one hell of a shot and gets most of his pts on the PP?

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Keep an eye on this kid Montreal drafted in round 4 #113 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft
Magnus Nygren

Defense
Born Jun 7 1990
[22 yrs. ago]
Height 6.00 -- Weight 192 -- Shoots R

Farjestads BK Karlstad SEL GP-51 G-13 A-19 Pts-32 PIMS-49 +/- +11

If I'm not mistaken he led all d-man in the SEL this year.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:38 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Congrats to him and his family on this long-term accomplishment.

Is he heading to Hamilton next season? I see he's 20 in July.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Nitehowl

from "WHLFromAbove" on twitter

A big congrats to Darren Dietz on signing with the @CanadiensMTL! You don't see too many players with the work ethic he has

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:50 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
Nothing against Timmins, but Habs have to start drafting some size on the wing. I have nothing against the short guys but there has to be balance.
If guys like Gallagher and Collberg drop down in the draft because of size issues you take them. You can trade for toughness but yes I agree if you have two players comparable in talent and one is physical and bigger definitely grab him. Montreal has not been great at getting that type of player through the years. They tried that in the 90s and failed hard at it. Only players they ever got who fit that bill that I remember are Corson, Lemiuex, LeClair(prematurely traded), McPhee.

They have had other big forwards as well like a Stevenson but that was a wasted first round pick if you consider his talent level. If you get a Stevenson in the 4th round then it's a good pick for bottom 6 tough wingers.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
If guys like Gallagher and Collberg drop down in the draft because of size issues you take them. You can trade for toughness but yes I agree if you have two players comparable in talent and one is physical and bigger definitely grab him. Montreal has not been great at getting that type of player through the years. They tried that in the 90s and failed hard at it. Only players they ever got who fit that bill that I remember are Corson, Lemiuex, LeClair(prematurely traded), McPhee.

They have had other big forwards as well like a Stevenson but that was a wasted first round pick if you consider his talent level. If you get a Stevenson in the 4th round then it's a good pick for bottom 6 tough wingers.
Pacioretty says hello........

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Pacioretty says hello........
Pacioretty is like Richer, great forward but he is rarely physical. Gallagher is more physical than Pacioretty.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Rumors are the Habs wont sign him. Too much of a trouble maker.
Where did you hear that?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=249

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Don't understand why you would not sign a talent like Kristo. If you don't like his personal life you can still trade him, never just let talent walk away for free.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
It's patofqc... That's all you need to know lol

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Gotta say that I'm not surprised. Fun going back through the board top prospect voting from 2011 and 2012 to see how many fanboys and bandwagoners were on the Thrower/Conboy/Bennett hype train while guys like Dietz and Dumont struggled to get votes the whole way.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Very happy to have Darren officially in the organization!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Habs4ever

Hello guys!!

And I am very happy with the signning; some teams have hard time winning with annual top picks and we'r doing much better in latter picks; way to go Tinmins and scouting staff.

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote