HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price doesn't steal games

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 08:54 AM
1stLineCenter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Seriously, Eller is looking more and more comfortable, and you literally see shades of Hossa/Sundin at certain times. Obviously, he's not there yet, and who knows into what he develops but he's damn impressive this year.
It's amazing how much his play has changed since MT got behind the bench. He had a rough start but man he has brought it since that. I called him Travis Eller many times but he never played like he does now, I apologize "Mon Amour"

Old
03-17-2013, 08:57 AM
BLONG7

Guys, just back from a week down south, the Habs won all 4 games I was down there, just curious on the injuries, how did Tinordi get into the lineup??

Old
03-17-2013, 09:11 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Guys, just back from a week down south, the Habs won all 4 games I was down there, just curious on the injuries, how did Tinordi get into the lineup??
17m TOI, I believe. +2, 1 assist.

Very strong game, few mistakes. He's composed with the puck, skates efficiently and use his body effectively.

If he keeps it up, he'll be out perfect call-up in case of injuries later this season or the playoffs. And he will most likely part of our lineup next year.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:14 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged member

vCash: 300
The people that defend Price incessantly are really bad and disingenuous but it just feels like some folks don't understand the role of a goalie over a season.

Price is one of the very few goalies who gives us 60ish games at a high level every season. He's one of a handful that can even shoulder that workload, win or lose. You see threads calling Smith, Lehtonen or Anderson or Bobrovsky "good" goalies but they aren't proven, reliable and consistent like Rinne, Thomas, Lundqvist, Luongo, Quick and Price. Not to mention the playoffs, where Rinne, Lundqvist and Price are pretty inexperienced in the grand scheme of things. The mere fact that Price is one of 6 starting goalies who have PROVEN that they can shoulder a giant workload at a competent level for several years (not talking about his GGA or sv% either) makes him a "top goalie" - I use the same argument to call Halak, Smith, Anderson and Lehtonen "not top goalies".

So the folks who say that he doesn't steal games or he doesn't ever "shut the door" have a point - but it's so much more valuable to have a goalie that lets in 2 goals a game for 10 games than one who goes all over the place from 0 GA to 4, 5GA over the same span. Most teams score 2+ goals a game after all.

Price is a good goalie, Price is a top goalie. Price hasn't proven it in the playoffs yet but in the reg season he's a goalie that almost every night gives his team a chance to win. We saw it last night, we saw it early in the season, we saw it when he was snakebit and the team in front of him couldn't muster 2 goals a game, we saw it in his rookie season. He's a stud and has been since we drafted him.

He's our BEST player and to constantly doubt his quality is ridiculous. Thorton has a bad game here and there, a bad streak once in a while but no one doubts that he's god damned fantastic at his position, same should go for Price. He's our superstar and we should treat him as such.

That doesn't mean that he's infallible or doesn't have bad games, he does, and I was the first to say that he was awful against Pittsburgh and during that "bad" streak he had. But that doesn't make him any less of a top goalie whatsoever - he's good, he's damn good and we're lucky to have him.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
Quote:
just curious on the injuries, how did Tinordi get into the lineup??
Weber got hurt in Carolina and the coaching staff has seemingly decided Kaberle won't ever play again unless there's no other choice.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:18 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Lol ur such a homer whiskey

Old
03-17-2013, 09:21 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Price is a good goalie, Price is a top goalie. Price hasn't proven it in the playoffs yet but in the reg season he's a goalie that almost every night gives his team a chance to win. We saw it last night, we saw it early in the season, we saw it when he was snakebit and the team in front of him couldn't muster 2 goals a game, we saw it in his rookie season. He's a stud and has been since we drafted him.
Well, I can hardly see how he did not proved himself against Boston in 2011...

Old
03-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
A .882 during game 7 isn't proving it. We were also leading 2-0 in that series....A better Price in game 4 put the Habs in round 2. And a stronger performance in game 7 makes us win the series.

At best, we can point out towards game 7 in the 07-08 playoffs as a big proof of his potential as it was a really big test, a game 7, and an incredible performance. So he has some very very good games but some average ones as well and had to be replaced as well. To me, that's not proven. Come on people....you can stretch it like that. It's all great to be on people who wants him gone. I have no problem like that. It's all great to be on people who finds him weak and terrible, which he isn't. But to already mention him as top 5, team Canada and PROVEN in the playoffs.....people should stop overdoing it. I've rarely seen a goalie PROVING your worth in the playoffs without reaching the 3rd round.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 03-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 09:34 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Weber got hurt in Carolina and the coaching staff has seemingly decided Kaberle won't ever play again unless there's no other choice.
So Kabs get overlooked and Tinordi gets a game in, interesting...thanks for the info!!

Old
03-17-2013, 09:37 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Lol ur such a homer whiskey

Some say I'm a hater, some say I'm a homer. Some people call me the space cowboy, some call me the gangster of love. Some people call me Maurice, cause I speak the pompitous of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Proving yourself means more than losing a 7 game first round series. That's what I'm talking about man, he hasn't done much of anything in the POs - he's just not experienced in it. He's never won in the 2nd round. I believe in him but it still hasn't happened yet.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

Quote:
So Kabs get overlooked and Tinordi gets a game in, interesting...thanks for the info!!
With Tinordi, Weber and St-Denis, not sure why a team wouldn't even consider Kabs for a conditional pick based on games played. There are teams out there that needs d-man with his experience. I understand the need of depth, but I would be really curious to see what Kabs think about that.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Leo Getz

Agreed Whiskey. We have this weird dynamic around here where some people want to blame Price for goals that aren't his fault, and others who want to make excuses for goals that are.

Fact of the matter is that Price is a top goalie. He's going to let in some bad goals, he's going to have some bad streaks. But at the end of the day he is going to keep you in/ win you a lot more games than he will lose with some bad goals. You can't ask for any more from any goalie.

So just realized Price let in a bad goal, it doesn't make you a hater, he isn't going to have them all. When he plays at the top of the game there is no need to say "Where are all the haters now?!?!" to those who have ever said he's let in a bad goal before.

Love the way this team is playing.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:47 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
A .882 during game 7 isn't proving it. We were also leading 2-0 in that series....A better Price in game 4 put the Habs in round 2. And a stronger performance in game 7 makes us win the series.

At best, we can point out towards game 7 in the 07-08 playoffs as a big proof of his potential as it was a really big test, a game 7, and an incredible performance. So he has some very very good games but some average ones as well and had to be replaced as well. To me, that's not proven. Come on people....you can stretch it like that. It's all great to be on people who wants him gone. I have no problem like that. It's all great to be on people who finds him weak and terrible, which he isn't. But to already mention him as top 5, team Canada and PROVEN in the playoffs.....people should stop overdoing it. I've rarely seen a goalie PROVING your worth in the playoffs without reaching the 3rd round.
Price was .934 for the whole round... He was sortof iffy in game 7, but a goalie keeping a .934 record for 7 games.... should have won the round. In less than 7 games, I might add.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:50 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged member

Leo, it should be noted that he has a LOT of myopic haters who don't understand that a goalie isn't infallible. Even Thomas, the most feared goalie after the lockout, let in bad goals. And Price has a lot of bitter Halak supporters/Price haters from before who still aren't ready to catch up with the real world.

Halak's playoff run was the stuff of miracles and legends - even though he got pulled three times and didn't start a few times because of his previous night's performance - but mostly because he schooled the high-fly Caps in two amazing performances and was very steady against the Pens. Those games against the Caps were probably the most exciting goal-tending I've seen since the Roy days, it was so much fun to see him then.

But Price is the better, more consistent, healthier, younger goalie and he's OUR goalie.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:59 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Leo, it should be noted that he has a LOT of myopic haters who don't understand that a goalie isn't infallible. Even Thomas, the most feared goalie after the lockout, let in bad goals. And Price has a lot of bitter Halak supporters/Price haters from before who still aren't ready to catch up with the real world.

Halak's playoff run was the stuff of miracles and legends - even though he got pulled three times and didn't start a few times because of his previous night's performance - but mostly because he schooled the high-fly Caps in two amazing performances and was very steady against the Pens. Those games against the Caps were probably the most exciting goal-tending I've seen since the Roy days, it was so much fun to see him then.

But Price is the better, more consistent, healthier, younger goalie and he's OUR goalie.
Agreed....can't believe some people might still be bitter about Halak??? The guy is always injured, and can';t handle being a bonafide # 1 starter....

Old
03-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

Quote:

So we can't blame Price for things 'cause if so, we're just a bitter Halak fan? Seriously? When I blamed Koivu for some games...was I a Ribeiro fan? When I blame Moen this year...am I a bitter Darche fan? What the heck is this? The "blames" are all in response of people putting Price in a pedestal he doesn't belong to. He is a candidate to Canada 2014...but he is NOT #1, maybe not even SUREFIRE top 3. And if he's there, people would understand that it's because Canada will not be extraordinairy in goals in 2014. But he is there. He is NOT proven in the playoffs despite some would like people to believe based on 1 series.

So for 1000 times, like most people are saying, he is a good goalie. He is a very good one. But he still hasn't proven anything in the playoffs. He's not top 5 this year. Yet...all this makes people Halak bitter fans.....Come on. Reserve that statement for people who just mentioned how Price is terrible. Then, you might have a case. But anybody who doesn't elevate to already hall of famer doesn't deserve to be put in that category. Yes....at the time, I wished at the very least, that we would have consider to see what the real value of Price was. The point was....is the Halak in net AND return for Price could be greater than Price in net and Eller. Surely, Eller has turned it around making that return pretty good....But I would have at least hope we could have asked for what kind of return we could have had, which was never asked. That's all. Doesn't make me bitter about Price. Made me question Gauthier. And Halak, with all his weaknesses, still end up giving us the best playoffs run in 18 years....How people forget and disrespect that is mind-boggling. And a Jennings trophy winner in St-Louis...yeah I know...even Elliott won that trophy. Yet, what Halak needs to deal with right now is the injuries...not how bad a goalie he suddenly is.

Yes, Price is our goalie. And the deal is done. Strangely, the supposed Pro-Halak aren't bringing that deal anymore. But the Pro-Price keeps bringing it over and over and over again 'cause the day you blame Price...you are clearly pro-Halak...How about blaming Price 'cause sometimes....he deserves it? Let's INDEED put that deal behind. But how he's totally absolve from getting blamed is totally dumb in my opinion. You can't continously but him the best goalie ever and yet always have to give him some excuses as to why the bad goals here and there. Yes...even the great goalies have their worst moments.....You gave that Thomas example...Yet...who here thinks Thomas was a elite goalie? Even after his Cup people in here were bashing him. Not like we think Price will have the career that Thomas had....we ALL think Price will have a much better career. The thing is....Price has been in this league for quite a while now. He is suppose to have the advantage over tons of young goalies who almost just started their NHL career. And really, we will have a good feel of where he is at when he'll play in the playoffs.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 03-17-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:

reported for trying to use common sense on a "Price-hate and bipolarity" driven board

Old
03-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Nedved

Quote:
So we can't blame Price for things 'cause if so, we're just a bitter Halak fan? Seriously? When I blamed Koivu for some games...was I a Ribeiro fan? When I blame Moen this year...am I a bitter Darche fan? What the heck is this? The "blames" are all in response of people putting Price in a pedestal he doesn't belong to. He is a candidate to Canada 2014...but he is NOT #1, maybe not even SUREFIRE top 3. And if he's there, people would understand that it's because Canada will not be extraordinairy in goals in 2014. But he is there. He is NOT proven in the playoffs despite some would like people to believe based on 1 series.

So for 1000 times, like most people are saying, he is a good goalie. He is a very good one. But he still hasn't proven anything in the playoffs. He's not top 5 this year. Yet...all this makes people Halak bitter fans.....Come on. Reserve that statement for people who just mentioned how Price is terrible. Then, you might have a case. But anybody who doesn't elevate to already hall of famer doesn't deserve to be put in that category. Yes....at the time, I wished at the very least, that we would have consider to see what the real value of Price was. The point was....is the Halak in net AND return for Price could be greater than Price in net and Eller. Surely, Eller has turned it around making that return pretty good....But I would have at least hope we could have asked for what kind of return we could have had, which was never asked. That's all. Doesn't make me bitter about Price. Made me question Gauthier. And Halak, with all his weaknesses, still end up giving us the best playoffs run in 18 years....How people forget and disrespect that is mind-boggling. And a Jennings trophy winner in St-Louis...yeah I know...even Elliott won that trophy. Yet, what Halak needs to deal with right now is the injuries...not how bad a goalie he suddenly is.

Yes, Price is our goalie. And the deal is done. Strangely, the supposed Pro-Halak aren't bringing that deal anymore. But the Pro-Price keeps bringing it over and over and over again 'cause the day you blame Price...you are clearly pro-Halak...How about blaming Price 'cause sometimes....he deserves it? Let's INDEED put that deal behind. But how he's totally absolve from getting blamed is totally dumb in my opinion. You can't continously but him the best goalie ever and yet always have to give him some excuses as to why the bad goals here and there. Yes...even the great goalies have their worst moments.....You gave that Thomas example...Yet...who here thinks Thomas was a elite goalie? Even after his Cup people in here were bashing him. Not like we think Price will have the career that Thomas had....we ALL think Price will have a much better career. The thing is....Price has been in this league for quite a while now. He is suppose to have the advantage over tons of young goalies who almost just started their NHL career. And really, we will have a good feel of where he is at when he'll play in the playoffs.
hater.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Danger Zone

I just think some/many people are in a rush to place blame on him for being scored against because they need a crutch and the goalie is the easiest one for goals against. He doesn't let in many bad goals, and most goals that go by him are a result of good screens by the offense, bad screens by the defense, deflections off skates and sticks and bodies, or great plays/shots by the other team. There's so many ways that a puck can go in that to claim the goalie is responsible for even half of them is to be irresponsible as an analyst, which none of us are professionally, thank goodness, because we'd all ****ing suck ass at it.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:07 AM
rwb

Quote:
He is a candidate to Canada 2014...but he is NOT #1, maybe not even SUREFIRE top 3.
C'mon man...besides Luongo who are you going to put as Canada's starter?

He might not be the #1, but if he is anything other than 1B on that team I would be EXTREMELY shocked. Him and Luongo are both guaranteed spots in net for Sochi. The 3rd goalie will be the interesting choice.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post

He might not be the #1, but if he is anything other than 1B on that team I would be EXTREMELY shocked. Him and Luongo are both guaranteed spots in net for Sochi. The 3rd goalie will be the interesting choice.
Brodeur
Cam Ward
Corey Crawford

Old
03-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Whitesnake
Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post

And then I wrote...."If he is...it's because we've pretty thin at goalie position". Which we are indeed. Price being top 3 is a mix between performances AND how thin we are.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:22 AM
HabsHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Brodeur
Cam Ward
Corey Crawford
Brodeur lost the starter job already.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
Brodeur lost the starter job already.
Wayyyy too early to tell...

your telling me if Brodeur has lights out 2013 winter, they wouldn't take him and consider him #1?

It's a 2 week tournament.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:27 AM
habtastic

WhiskeySeven and Dekar get it. It's not that you cannot be critical of Price on a goal or a game. It's that when it happens, it's as if it eclipses all the small miracles he has pulled off consistently for the third season straight. Not everyone who faults Price for a goal is a hater. I've called some of them weak, but haven't gone on to say that the guy is inconsistent, hasn't proven anything and is overrated. That is what MANY people on this board say in the same breath as "that was stoppable" and it's just an indication that either you want him to fail or you don't have perspective. Halak is irrelevant....soooo irrelevant at this point, particularly given Eller's ascendance.

Closed Thread