HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Team Quebec - For Quebecois Only!

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Eazy T

vCash: 500
Team Quebec - For Quebecois Only!

Ok. Fast forward to 2010 and Quebec just separated from Canada, in time for the Olympics. Let's say you're the man in charge in assembling the team, what would you do? Who would you enlist? Who will be on Team Quebec? who will be the coaching staff? what will be the strategies against the enemies like Russia, the US and Canada?

Old
08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Imagine the team Austria-hungary would have if they were still around.

Old
08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Imagine the team Austria-hungary would have if they were still around.
Czechs, Slovaks and Vanek? Sounds like pre-1990 to me

Old
08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

It would suck because most superstars born in Quebec would be playing for team Canada. Once you play for one team, you're not allowed to play for any other according to the Olympic rules. Plus I don't think every single Quebec born player would necessarily want to play for team Quebec.

Old
08-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
It would suck because most superstars born in Quebec would be playing for team Canada. Once you play for one team, you're not allowed to play for any other according to the Olympic rules. Plus I don't think every single Quebec born player would necessarily want to play for team Quebec.
I'm pretty sure that the Olympics would make exceptions in this case.

For instance, Arturs Irbe played for the Soviet Union and later played for Latvia.

Old
08-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
Czechs, Slovaks and Vanek? Sounds like pre-1990 to me
Kopitar too.

I'm just a bit snippy at the take-their-puck-and-go-home mentality around.

Old
08-01-2006, 11:59 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Olympics would make exceptions in this case.

For instance, Arturs Irbe played for the Soviet Union and later played for Latvia.
Yes but the way I see it, nobody would consider Quebec a real country anyways.

Old
08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
obviously, in case of seperation, the rules change and players are allowed to play for their new country. That's just logical.
And as for people saying players would not want to play for Team Québec, i disagree strongly, but eh.. it's all a matter of opinion right now.

Why do these threads always turn into "bash Québecers" threads?? no wonder the original poster wrote "For Québecois only". Some of your replies are just plain insulting and ignorant.

now to the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm84 View Post
Ok. Fast forward to 2010 and Quebec just separated from Canada, in time for the Olympics. Let's say you're the man in charge in assembling the team, what would you do? Who would you enlist? Who will be on Team Quebec? who will be the coaching staff? what will be the strategies against the enemies like Russia, the US and Canada?
Obviously, there would be lots of choices for coaches/managers/staff. Guys like Lemieux, Lemaire, Vigneault, Julien, Savard, etc.. should all be considered.

In terms of players: Tanguay, St-Louis, Lecavalier, Bergeron, Beauchemin, M-A Bergeron, PM Bouchard, Briere, Dumont, Dandenault, Gauthier, Pominville and Ribeiro would all be of age to participate, while older guys like Desjardins and Gelinas might be replaced by youngters coming up. In terms of goaltending, no problem there as most people know. In fact, Brodeur might be getting up there in age, but there's still Luongo. And who knows just how good M-A. Fleury will get.

I think depth at defense is a concern right now, but in terms of forwards and goaltender we'd be fine.
Strategy wise, it would depend on the final look of the team and the coaches.

As we see in the FIFA, Scotland and other places that are not official countries have their own teams, i still don't know why it couldn't be the same in hockey.

Last edited by QcS: 08-01-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old
08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Im thinking of making London a seperate country. Londoners don't consider themselves british. I've always wondered why a large area inside a country doesn't just one day go "Lets be a country." I mean, people from Quebec aren't canadian

Old
08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leph28 View Post
obviously, in case of seperation, the rules change and players are allowed to play for their new country. That's just logical.
And as for people saying players would not want to play for Team Québec, i disagree strongly, but eh.. it's all a matter of opinion right now.

Why do these threads always turn into "bash Québecers" threads?? no wonder the original poster wrote "For Québecois only". Some of your replies are just plain insulting and ignorant.
I think it has to do with the fact that while most regions that want to seperate from their countries are oppressed and have a good reason to suceed, Quebec actually has a really good deal being part of Canada and the issue keeps coming up even though the majority of the people here do not want to seperate.

I'm Quebecois so I'm allowed to post here. Or do I not count because I'm English? Not sure what the membership rules are actually.

Old
08-01-2006, 12:06 PM
KaptainKourage*

Would make a run for a medal IMO.

I know there is 0,01% chance that happens but would be fun to watch play (even if i love team canada too)...

Look at this lineup, pretty decent IMO :

Alex Tanguay - Patrice Bergeron - JP Dumont
Martin St. Louis - Vincent Lecavalier - Simon Gagné
PM Bouchard - Daniel Briere - Antoine Vermette
Ian Laperierre - Matthew Lombardi - Pascal Dupuis
Stephane Yelle, George Laraque, Stephane Veilleux, Martin Lapointe, Matt Barnaby, Yanic Perreault, Michel Ouellet, Alexandre Picard

Francois Beauchemin - Phillipe Boucher
Stephane Robidas - MA Bergeron
Luc Bourdon - Mathieu Dandenault
Denis Gauthier, Eric Desjardins

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
MA Fleury, JS Giguère

Amazing goaltenders, pretty good O, weak D. Overall, good team.

Old
08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
revolverjgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Would make a run for a medal IMO.

I know there is 0,01% chance that happens but would be fun to watch play (even if i love team canada too)...

Look at this lineup, pretty decent IMO :

Alex Tanguay - Patrice Bergeron - JP Dumont
Martin St. Louis - Vincent Lecavalier - Simon Gagné
PM Bouchard - Daniel Briere - Antoine Vermette
Ian Laperierre - Matthew Lombardi - Pascal Dupuis
Stephane Yelle, George Laraque, Stephane Veilleux, Martin Lapointe, Matt Barnaby, Yanic Perreault, Michel Ouellet, Alexandre Picard

Francois Beauchemin - Phillipe Boucher
Stephane Robidas - MA Bergeron
Luc Bourdon - Mathieu Dandenault
Denis Gauthier, Eric Desjardins

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
MA Fleury, JS Giguère

Amazing goaltenders, pretty good O, weak D. Overall, good team.
Looks good. I'd add Steve Bernier, then they'd be all set.

Old
08-01-2006, 12:14 PM
GSK*

That would be cool, our fifth keeper can be first of all country :p
Foward :

Simon Gagné
Alex Tanguay
Patrice Bergeron
Vincent Lecavalier
Martin St.Louis
PM Bouchard
Daniel Brière
Mike Ribeiro
JP Dumont
Antoine Vermette
Steve Bernier
+ All prospect who gonna be NHL players in 2010.

D-Man :

François Beauchemin
M-A Bergeron
Mathieu Dandenault
Francis Bouillon ( He's born NY, but his parent are CDN ? )
Mathieu Biron
Denis Gauthier
Alexandre Picard
Mathieu Roy
+ All prospect who gonna be in NHL...

Keeper :

Roberto Lunogo
Martin Brodeur
JS Giguere
Mathieu Garon
Jose Theodore
M-A Fleury
Yann Danis
Pascal Leclaire

But that will never happen

I've didnt put players like Phil Boucher or Eric Desjardins they sould not be there in 2010.

Old
08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leph28 View Post
no wonder the original poster wrote "For Québecois only".
I naturally assumed that the OP meant that the team was For Québecois only.

If his intent was to be a jerk, then whatever, dude.

Old
08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Sens Rule

That would make a big 8 of hockey countries instead of the big 6 and later big 7 with the Slovaks.

Still Canada would be the best hockey country, maybe Quebec would end up 4th or 5th after Sweden and Russia. They would top the Slovaks and maybe the Checks or Finns but no one else. And ny then the Swiss and Germans would be knocking on the door as legit additions to the big 7 countires.

Could Quebec win a championship (if all Quebec players played for them?) Yes. Would they ever be favorites? Not likely.

Old
08-01-2006, 12:25 PM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I naturally assumed that the OP meant that the team was For Québecois only.

If his intent was to be a jerk, then whatever, dude.

these threads always turn into french-Québecer bashing because people can't accept that others have different opinions and want to talk about a scenario like this one.

There are passionate people on both sides of the debate, but obviously this being an english board, we don't see those extremist seperatist views.. we only see the "freaking out, don't touch my country, french are scum, you can't be a real country" people... which gets tiring. Extremes on both sides make for threads being closed and people arguing (not debating).

That was my point.

Old
08-01-2006, 12:33 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
The typical way to keep it civil is ask for all-Provence/state teams.
Crosby gonna be only one with Nova Scotia

May be put

BC, AB, SASK, ONT, QC and then put IPE, Nova Scotita and New Brunswick in the same team.

**** Nunavut and Yukon and the North West

Old
08-01-2006, 12:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Stick to hockey

Old
08-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Eazy T

2010 Olympic Team Quebec Line-up.
Head Coach: Claude Julien ( a former Habs coach who should know how to coach with thin defence.)
Assitant Coach: Alain Vigneault

Simon Gagne-Martin St.Louis-Vincent Lecavalier
Alex Tanguay-Daniel Briere-Patrice Bergeron
Pierre Marc Bouchard-Mike Ribeiro-JP Dumont
Antoine Vermette-Eric Belanger-Jason Pominville

Francois Beauchemin-Mathieu Bergeron
Stephane Robidas-Denis Gauthier
Francis Bouillon-Mathieu Biron

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo

By 2010, only a few players will be over 30; which includes Brodeur and among others but apart from that, this squad will look fresh and hungry for some GOLD!

Old
08-01-2006, 12:56 PM
canada_mapleleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK View Post
Crosby gonna be only one with Nova Scotia

May be put

BC, AB, SASK, ONT, QC and then put IPE, Nova Scotita and New Brunswick in the same team.

**** Nunavut and Yukon and the North West
I don't get you. You put Saskatchewan but not Manitoba. YOU'RE CRAZY

Old
08-01-2006, 01:03 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_mapleleaf View Post
I don't get you. You put Saskatchewan but not Manitoba. YOU'RE CRAZY
That was a mistake, i just forget that one.

Old
08-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Eazy T

With the talent that Quebec have, I can see my team get past USA, Slovakia, Germany, Switzerland easy. We'd probably match well with Finland but its teams like Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic and Sweden that worry the most.
Realistically, our squad could probably defeat USA around scores like 3-1, Slovakia maybe 3-1, Germany an easy 4-0 at least, the Swiss something like 4-1 at worst.

With the top line, the French Connection, of Gagne, St.Louis, Lecavalier leading any international event in line production.
The day I crave most is when our squad hands Canada's *** on a platter in their rink on CBC in Hockey Night in Canada with Don Cherry downing some Irish whiskey wishing he never saw such an awful performace by Team Canada! What Chokers! he'll say!

Old
08-01-2006, 01:22 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I'll also add that Lecavalier seemed very uneasy when they asked him if he would play on a team-Quebec. The impression that I got is that no, he would not. The only player I remember who said he would play on team-Quebec was Boullion.

Old
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
With the talent that Quebec have, I can see my team get past USA, Slovakia, Germany, Switzerland easy. We'd probably match well with Finland but its teams like Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic and Sweden that worry the most.
Realistically, our squad could probably defeat USA around scores like 3-1, Slovakia maybe 3-1, Germany an easy 4-0 at least, the Swiss something like 4-1 at worst.

With the top line, the French Connection, of Gagne, St.Louis, Lecavalier leading any international event in line production.
The day I crave most is when our squad hands Canada's *** on a platter in their rink on CBC in Hockey Night in Canada with Don Cherry downing some Irish whiskey wishing he never saw such an awful performace by Team Canada! What Chokers! he'll say!
I can see your team doing for sure, because your team is team CANADA. TEAM CANADA, TEAM CANADA, TEAM FRIGGIN CANADA.
USA would beat Quebec if somehow they were granted an international team. USA has a bright future. Both Johnsons, Ryan, Kessel, etc. Slovakia also may beat Quebec. Quebec really has an average defense. Finland would beat you. They are a top 4 team, make no mistake.
USA and Slovakia are considered to be part of the top 7 powerhouses, and Quebec simply wouldn't have enough depth or defense to cope with them in the long term.

Old
08-01-2006, 01:38 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

lol - Lecavalier specifically said he would never ever play for a team Quebec, and he was Canadian. I don't know about Gagne, or St.Louis, but I would be surprised if this wasn't true for them too.

Closed Thread