HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings X - Steckel traded, next on the docket...

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Briere would be good for the NYI. His cap hit helps them get to the floor while his actual salary takes a big drop. NYI aren't that far from Philly.
About a 2 hour drive from Philly to Brooklyn. NYI could be a possibility I guess. And yeah, NYI would salivate at that 3m + 2m salaries in the remaining 2 season

Old
03-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Faltorvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Yotes fans seem to think Klesla might be available. Reasonable salary (around 3m), signed through next year.

Possible target?
Nope don't see it, he is a left handed shot.

I'm going to hold to the presumption that the top 4 D speculation is for a RHS D man.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
It would certainly present an interesting option for the Leafs if he does indeed come on the block but I don't see him as much of an upgrade over Gunnar, but I see Morris as a better fit for the Leafs and a better fit for the Yotes to move IMO.
Now Morris would make much more sense being a righty.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Antropovsky

I may be in the minority here, but I think we have some good young pieces, and a couple good veterans (namely Lupul), to go forward with. I don't see this current roster or core ever being a heavy cup threat, nor do I see a roster that would get past the 1st round if they managed to reach the playoffs. Having said that, I think it would be wise to trade some guys, try to gain some valuable pieces that fit our team, and build for the future. Rielly, Ross, Biggs, Gardiner, and even toughness in our lower lines in Boll and Devane, this is when I think we're going to be a tough team to play against.

I think we just need one last detox, a group of new players, who fit our new desired image, and weed out the guys who don't fit the desired image. Which is to play hard and tough regularly.

Targets:

Weiss, Florida Panthers: Toronto native, 60 point player only a couple years ago, is known to be a complete C.

Brendan Smith, Detroit Red Wings: Also a Toronto native, haven't seen him play, other than a pile of highlights, definitely a Caryle defenseman, hits, fights, moves the puck. It would take a hefty package to get him though, he's considered to be an elite prospect.. his play at the NHL level though, hasn't matched expectations, but I think his upside is similar to that as Bogosians.

Corey Perry, Anaheim - The Big Fish, Ontario native, nothing more needs to be said.

Corey Schneider, Vancouver - Successful at every level, fits the age category for our team, Vancouver is in a win now mode, and might be pressured to trade him in return for help push them over the top.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
It's also commonly speculated that Briere won't waive his (full?) NMC so he can stay close to his kids.
(Cough) It's common knowledge that a NMC only prevents you from being sent down.

NMC and NTC are two different animals.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
And you question me about the Backstrom suggestion?

Briere 6.5 for 2 more years after this one.

How about Komisarek for Briere?
OOOF!

I'd consider that one.

If he craps the bed next season we could always amnesty him.

Or flip him to a cap conscious team, iirc, his actual pay is much less then cap hit.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:36 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
I may be in the minority here, but I think we have some good young pieces, and a couple good veterans (namely Lupul), to go forward with. I don't see this current roster or core ever being a heavy cup threat, nor do I see a roster that would get past the 1st round if they managed to reach the playoffs. Having said that, I think it would be wise to trade some guys, try to gain some valuable pieces that fit our team, and build for the future. Rielly, Ross, Biggs, Gardiner, and even toughness in our lower lines in Boll and Devane, this is when I think we're going to be a tough team to play against.

I think we just need one last detox, a group of new players, who fit our new desired image, and weed out the guys who don't fit the desired image. Which is to play hard and tough regularly.

Targets:

Weiss, Florida Panthers: Toronto native, 60 point player only a couple years ago, is known to be a complete C.

Brendan Smith, Detroit Red Wings: Also a Toronto native, haven't seen him play, other than a pile of highlights, definitely a Caryle defenseman, hits, fights, moves the puck. It would take a hefty package to get him though, he's considered to be an elite prospect.. his play at the NHL level though, hasn't matched expectations, but I think his upside is similar to that as Bogosians.

Corey Perry, Anaheim - The Big Fish, Ontario native, nothing more needs to be said.

Corey Schneider, Vancouver - Successful at every level, fits the age category for our team, Vancouver is in a win now mode, and might be pressured to trade him in return for help push them over the top.
Schneider playing on the Canucks this year has worse stats than the 2 years younger Reimer.

Perry why sure ... maybe he is interested maybe likes fresh water lakes more than salt water oceans?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
03-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
(Cough) It's common knowledge that a NMC only prevents you from being sent down.

NMC and NTC are two different animals.
http://www.capgeek.com/faq/what-s-th...TC-and-NMC.php

Quote:
A no-move clause means a player cannot be traded, waived for a claim by another team, or assigned to the minors without his consent. This does not protect the player from a buyout.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:37 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
OOOF!

I'd consider that one.

If he craps the bed next season we could always amnesty him.

Or flip him to a cap conscious team, iirc, his actual pay is much less then cap hit.
I was thinking it might be a gamble both teams could make, but where do you play Briere?

Maybe a 3 way?

Flyers - Komi
Coyotes - Briere
Leafs - John Anderson

Old
03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post

Targets:

Well by the sounds of it the core rebuilding is done.

When you hear murmurs that they would rather keep the likes of Mac and Boz for a low level PO push and risk losing their asset value to UFA, then one knows that the worm has turned.

Will they gun for SW/CP if the UFA up, ya i would hope they are sniffen hard in there.

Forget CS, Van is in serious serious cap hell next year, Lou will be the one that goes.

BS in Det, heh, not a chance they move him.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Well son of a btch, i have had it wrong all these effen years?

I stand humbled and corrected, TY )

Old
03-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
I was thinking it might be a gamble both teams could make, but where do you play Briere?

Maybe a 3 way?

Flyers - Komi
Coyotes - Briere
Leafs - John Anderson
My only interest in getting Briere is to see what he can do with Kessel-JVR/Lups as the #1C.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

Maybe a 3 way?

Flyers - Komi
Coyotes - Briere
Leafs - John Anderson
Who the hell is John Anderson

Old
03-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I have some speculation on Grabovski...

First off, I want to start off by saying I am a Grabo fan. I love his heart and his drive, but at $5.5 million, with his current production, and essentially playing 3C right now, we could do without him.

I'm watching the Bruins-Penguins game right now and Krejci just got hurt really badly. It's a knee, and although I don't wish injury on anyone, it looks like he could be out long term. No doubt the Bruins will look at adding a C to replace him before the deadline if he's out long term. Grabo would be a perfect replacement. What could we get from Boston in return for him?

Old
03-17-2013, 01:59 PM
rumman

not a hope in hell of trading Komi for Briere, but if it was possible, it would work out very well for the Leafs, Briere has game, and could help the Leaf, no doubt about it. On another point, I don't get why trading for a D man is anywhere near as important as getting a competent centre?

P.S. I'd take a chance on Myers if the price was right, but get a centre first and foremost!!!!!!!!

Old
03-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Chuck any word what is happening in san jose (clowe, murray, coture )

Last one was a pipe dream

Old
03-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
I have some speculation on Grabovski...

First off, I want to start off by saying I am a Grabo fan. I love his heart and his drive, but at $5.5 million, with his current production, and essentially playing 3C right now, we could do without him.

I'm watching the Bruins-Penguins game right now and Krejci just got hurt really badly. It's a knee, and although I don't wish injury on anyone, it looks like he could be out long term. No doubt the Bruins will look at adding a C to replace him before the deadline if he's out long term. Grabo would be a perfect replacement. What could we get from Boston in return for him?
I don't see the fit. Grabo is signed for another 4 years.

They only teams that would be interested are those looking long term.

Bost would have more interest in Boz then Grabo tbvh.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
not a hope in hell of trading Komi for Briere, but if it was possible, it would work out very well for the Leafs, Briere has game, and could help the Leaf, no doubt about it. On another point, I don't get why trading for a D man is anywhere near as important as getting a competent centre?

P.S. I'd take a chance on Myers if the price was right, but get a centre first and foremost!!!!!!!!
On the contrary - a top-4 D should be our #1 priority.

To the person who proposed getting Brended Smith out of Detroit - Quincey just went down for likely a month or so, detroit can't move out more D but would likely be interested in adding.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:08 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan10 View Post
Chuck any word what is happening in san jose (clowe, murray, coture )

Last one was a pipe dream
Well allegedly both Clowe and Murray are very available but the concern from the parties interested is their rather lack luster play as of late and whether or not that is going to be a future indication of play quality or if a simple change of scenery is necessary. The market is heating up, but teams are still hesitant to make any dramatic shifts as the races are still so close.

Couture is a pipe dream.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:19 PM
dimi78

I think I might be the only one who thinks this team doesn't need to do much other than an upgrade of Bozak on the top line.

I know many people want Perry as a potential UFA signing even trade Kessel for him. I have no issue if Perry becomes a Leaf via the UFA route, just don't want to trade for him even a one for one Kessel, Perry trade doesn't make sense to me cause it's a side ways trade that doesn't improve the glaring need up the middle. Sign Perry and then and only then do I contemplate trading Kessel for a top line center.

The Leafs have a really good nucleus of young players coming into there own, soon enough Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner, Rielly will be big time players to join the likes of Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, JVR. The missing piece is to add another top level center to go with Kadri as a 1-2 punch up the middle.

Add that and all there's to do is some PATIENCE AND TEAM CONTINUITY that isn't in the make up of Leaf Nation and fill the role players, depth players to surround that core. Most if not all of the depth/role players is filled already right down to the AHL.

A keen eye on the goaltending will be something that's always a concern from every team year in year out if they're wise regardless of who's in net cause it could fall from grace faster than most believe. It's the toughest position in hockey to fill and the most important. There's not many Broduer's in the history of the game goaltenders that stay at a high level for a long time so I'm always concern with goaltending.

I'm fine with Reimer and Scrivens moving forward but like I said for me goaltending is always a concern even if the Leafs had Carey Price in net.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:19 PM
thepatient

Either pick up a #2 dman and a true shutdown centre (not Grabo), or sell all players without futures. I'll be so pissed if we end up out of the playoffs and out of the top 5

Old
03-17-2013, 02:22 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I think I might be the only one who thinks this team doesn't need to do much other than an upgrade of Bozak on the top line.

I know many people want Perry as a potential UFA signing even trade Kessel for him. I have no issue if Perry becomes a Leaf via the UFA route, just don't want to trade for him even a one for one Kessel, Perry trade doesn't make sense to me cause it's a side ways trade that doesn't improve the glaring need up the middle. Sign Perry and then and only then do I contemplate trading Kessel for a top line center.

The Leafs have a really good nucleus of young players coming into there own, soon enough Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner, Rielly will be big time players to join the likes of Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, JVR. The missing piece is to add another top level center to go with Kadri as a 1-2 punch up the middle.

Add that and all there's to do is some PATIENCE AND TEAM CONTINUITY that isn't in the make up of Leaf Nation and fill the role players, depth players to surround that core. Most if not all of the depth/role players is filled already right down to the AHL.

A keen eye on the goaltending will be something that's always a concern from every team year in year out if they're wise regardless of who's in net cause it could fall from grace faster than most believe. It's the toughest position in hockey to fill and the most important. There's not many Broduer's in the history of the game goaltenders that stay at a high level for a long time so I'm always concern with goaltending.

I'm fine with Reimer and Scrivens moving forward but like I said for me goaltending is always a concern even if the Leafs had Carey Price in net.

We lead the league in giveaways, we have 3 defensemen in the top 20. 3 of our D are a combined -29. So yes, no offense, but I believe you might be the only one who prioritizes #1C as our only need.

Our D is porous at best right now.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Kingstonian84*

I'm watching the Bruins-Penguins game right now and Krejci just got hurt really badly. It's a knee, and although I don't wish injury on anyone, it looks like he could be out long term. No doubt the Bruins will look at adding a C to replace him before the deadline if he's out long term. Grabo would be a perfect replacement. What could we get from Boston in return for him?[/QUOTE]

- Nathan Horton is a UFA this summer, I would do a Grabo/Horton swap straight up. Horton gives us that badly needed top 6 size/grit, not to mention a bomb of a shot, yea I know he COULD walk July 1st but big deal, even if he does we save $5.5M on Grabo and could use it to upgrade in other areas.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Duffman955

Wouldn't mind a Horton/Grabo swap at all.

But we still need to address our most important issue, which is DEFENSE

Defense wins championships

Old
03-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Wouldn't mind a Horton/Grabo swap at all.

But we still need to address our most important issue, which is DEFENSE

Defense wins championships
Great offense is Great defense

Closed Thread