HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
John Bender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Maybe the Canucks are healthy come playoff time and for once their opponent is dealing with injuries to their best players?

Kesler makes the PP. I expect it to get back on track once he's in the lineup.

And another top 6 centre would radically change the look up front. Especially after Kesler's return.

The pieces are mostly in place. Finding another good centre is really all Gillis needs to do. That should be possible with the assets he has to deal. I don't expect Schneider and Luongo to be here after the deadline - that chip needs to be played and I think it finally will.
There's a lot of "if" and "hope" in your post. I am all out of hope. The fact that a Hart Trophy winner and an Art Ross winner and a "future" NOrris winner can't get generate one goal in 32 power play chances leads me to believe that it's not just Kesler's absence that's the problem. The problem runs deeper - into the coaching ranks, and with respect to the fact the team has no player capable of running a PP.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Samzilla

Quote:
It's time for Kyle Wellwood. Gillis could likely get him for next to nothing and when given top 6 linemates last season he outscored Ryan Kesler. If AV would prefer to just roll with what we have, he should be fired on the spot.

We need to start winning some faceoffs. Get Wellwood back already.
Winnipeg's fighting for a playoff spot. Why would they give up Wellwood?

Old
03-17-2013, 12:09 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Winnipeg's fighting for a playoff spot. Why would they give up Wellwood?
Because we are so desperate to make the playoffs we feel that other teams will give up their effort in making them for us.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Rosko Thorn

I want to start with this disclaimer: *I know this will never happen* but it's sunday and I'm bored.

To Philly

Edler
Schneider
Schroeder
2nd

To Van

Couturier
B. Schenn
L. Schenn
Bryzgalov

We buyout Bryz and one of ballard/booth and trade the other (or trade both if we find any takers)

make a couple signings.

when everyone is heathy we have:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Mason Raymond ($3.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)
Tom Sestito ($0.666m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Cam Barker ($0.850m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Jose Theodore ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,703,833; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,396,167

we get bigger and younger, we lose offense on the backend but gain stability down the middle.

We still have some money left over for some raises next year (or deadline help if needed)

flame away!

Old
03-17-2013, 12:24 PM
blendini

Now that it looks like Booth is gone, the Nucks could include a contract like Grabo's (Luongo for Grabo/Franson) and then buy out Booth. I always like Wellwood - great in the playoffs and fabulous at faceoffs.

Sedins Kes
Raymond Grabo Burrows
Higgins Wellwood Hansen
Pinni Lappy Kass
Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Ballard Franson

Schneids
Trade B prospect or pick for a backup

Old
03-17-2013, 12:56 PM
kthsn

Roy doesn't look like he'll stay in DAL after this season.

DAL has a weak d-core especially on the left side. I think it's a matter of time til we see a Ballard/Kconn/Picks/Corrado for Roy trade.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Roy doesn't look like he'll stay in DAL after this season.

DAL has a weak d-core especially on the left side. I think it's a matter of time til we see a Ballard/Kconn/Picks/Corrado for Roy trade.
I don't think Ballard has any value - beyond that which is negative.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:00 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I would be very hesitant to deal picks/prospects for rentals. This team isn't a piece or two away from winning the Stanley Cup. This team is a piece or two away from POSSIBLY winning a playoff round. Dealing picks/prospects for rentals is how you become the Calgary Flames. Last year was the year to load up, and instead we took away from our team at the deadline. This year I think the best move would be either to sell pending UFA's (Raymond, Higgins, etc.) and try to get another first round pick or a decent prospect, or make a big splash for a player who will be added to our CORE for more than just one month.

03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
kthsn

Gillis likely deals his 3rd/4th rounders this TDL. Losing a prospect like KConn isn't a big deal.

As for Ballard's value - I still believe some GMs value him as a capable #4/5 (especially if he's being sat this season because of an impending trade).

Looking at the West there should only be 1-2 sellers and maybe 2 more in the East. It's definitely a seller's market for defensemen.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamskull View Post
I want to start with this disclaimer: *I know this will never happen* but it's sunday and I'm bored.

To Philly

Edler
Schneider
Schroeder
2nd

To Van

Couturier
B. Schenn
L. Schenn
Bryzgalov

We buyout Bryz and one of ballard/booth and trade the other (or trade both if we find any takers)

make a couple signings.

flame away!
Come on now. As knowledgable Canuck fans, both you and I know that Edler, Schnieder, Schroeder and 2nd (maybe uped to a 1st) may get us Bryzgalov, but there is no way that the Flyers are going to include any of Couturier or the Schenns.

Actually, not a bad trade suggestion but I think we will have enough prospects and roster players without needing to make any further trades or UFA signings. Good post.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:10 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I would be very hesitant to deal picks/prospects for rentals. This team isn't a piece or two away from winning the Stanley Cup. This team is a piece or two away from POSSIBLY winning a playoff round. Dealing picks/prospects for rentals is how you become the Calgary Flames. Last year was the year to load up, and instead we took away from our team at the deadline. This year I think the best move would be either to sell pending UFA's (Raymond, Higgins, etc.) and try to get another first round pick or a decent prospect, or make a big splash for a player who will be added to our CORE for more than just one month.
I agree, after all the Luongo discussions I never thought I'd say that

Old
03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
John Bender

Quote:
.............and trade Luongo for futures.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
.............and trade Luongo for futures.
I would trade whichever goalie got us the best return.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:20 PM
John Bender

Quote:
I would trade whichever goalie got us the best return.
Schneider is cheaper and younger. Luongo is prone to meltdowns - even if you think the same of Schneider, the organization is FAR better off removing Luongo, unless Schneider garners some massive return, which I don't see.

Au Revoir Lu.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:22 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Yup...so this is what it feels like to be a Flames fan.

I would like to keep Raymond and Higgins. In the offseason trade/buyout Booth and Ballard.

Trade Luongo to Philly for one of their young guns (Couturier preferably) and go hard after Perry. If Perry wants to head out east, then look for a trade/offersheet for a RW (maybe the Blues can't afford to keep all their youngesters). This HAS to get addressed this off season. Fire AV and replace with Cooper, Boucher or Eakins

Next Season:

Sedins - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Perry
Higgins - Couturier - Hansen
Weise - Lappy - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Cheap vet - Tanev

Schneider
cheap backup

And you have Kassian who can move up the lineup depending on play/injuries. And Schroder and Jensen in Chicago for depth. On defense, we can resign Barker as a 7th dman and have Andersson and Price in Chicago for depth.

Last edited by ItsAllPartOfThePlan: 03-17-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 02:00 PM
keslerburrows

I don't think it'll be long before we see Gillis make a deal.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I don't think it'll be long before we see Gillis make a deal.
We need something to kick this team in the butt. Burrows, Hansen, and last night Lapierre, seem to be the only players bothering to put some effort in recently. I don't know if it's a trade, a staff change, a pep talk, a team meeting or a freaking fortune teller that'll fix this, but something needs to be done.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:

To Philly

Edler
Schneider
Schroeder
2nd

To Van

Couturier
B. Schenn
L. Schenn
Bryzgalov

make a couple signings.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Mason Raymond ($3.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)
Tom Sestito ($0.666m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Cam Barker ($0.850m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Jose Theodore ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,703,833; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,396,167

we get bigger and younger, we lose offense on the backend but gain stability down the middle.

We still have some money left over for some raises next year (or deadline help if needed)

flame away!
You think Gillis will go to our owner and say, hey I want you 2 buy out this 100000000000 year deal for 10000000000000000000000000000000000$

Thanks

Old
03-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Rosko Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
You think Gillis will go to our owner and say, hey I want you 2 buy out this 100000000000 year deal for 10000000000000000000000000000000000$

Thanks
haha, figured if it could get us some key pieces anything could happen

Old
03-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Trelane

Quote:

To Philly

Edler
Schneider
Schroeder
2nd

To Van

Couturier
B. Schenn
L. Schenn
Bryzgalov

make a couple signings.

flame away!
You're right... this will never happen. The value is probably there but there are ample reasons why something like this would never go down:

-no way Philly gives up two young/promising centres who already get top 9 minutes for a diminutive AHLer with limited prospect of being a permanent big leaguer. Their centre depth would become a bigger black-hole than the one we currently have.

-Edler is part of the core, one of AV’s guys, and it’s likely the Sedins would not be pleased to see him go. Unless there is a comparably skilled D man coming back, it would mean saying good-bye--for a long, long time--to management’s stated goal of 200 points from the blueline. Bieksa is way too inconsistent and Hamhuis’ increase in production has coincided with decline in own-zone play. Garrison’s offensive instincts are limited and unlikely to yield a 40 point campaign.

-Philly ownership has ample resources to handle their own buyouts, moreover ours may already be stressed. Booth has moved to the top of the list and Ballard is as strong candidate as ever. You propose to add a 3rd, while retaining Luango’s contract and the ever diminishing bang-for-buck it carries. If I’m ownership I may swallow one, particular if I had a hand in Lou’s deal, but no way am I paying for 2, including one not of my making.

Interesting times coming up. Anxious to see if MG can get anything at all for Booth and Ballard or if it will come to buyout(s). Luango is the biggest concern. Not because no one wants him but because MG stands to lose mucho credibility if he takes back tokens. Ironic that “Detroit model” was his mantra from the beginning and now he faces his greatest test precisely because he departed from it by spending so much on goalies.

We are now a 2nd tier team. A contender in the same way that anyone making the playoffs is, but a long-shot when compared to the Hawks, Pens, and Bruins. MG should move accordingly and not sacrifice picks or trade youth for vets.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:38 PM
1Luongo1

Send a message via MSN to 1Luongo1 Send a message via Yahoo to 1Luongo1
With the new CBA, some of the advantages that wealthy teams had were taken away, however, a significant new one has been opened, and, I have yet to see it exploited.

I'm talking about the ability to pay salaries and have the other team absorb the cap hit. If we truly are one of the wealthy teams, I say we should take advantage of it.

Here's who I identify as teams that wont spend to the cap:

Florida
NY Islanders
Tampa Bay
Phoenix
Columbus
Nashville
Dallas

With the exception of Phoenix, none of these teams will be in our division/conference anymore. Why can't we make deals with these teams exploiting the new rules? Here's one that I would suggest:

To Vancouver:

Bryan Campbell
Mike Weaver
Alex Kovalev
Marcel Goc

Florida absorbs half the cap hit for these players for the duration of their contracts. This brings their combined cap hit from 11.4M to 5.7M.

To Florida:

Keith Ballard
Roberto Luongo
2nd round pick

Vancouver pays for half the salaries of the players for the duration of the contracts.

As a result, we upgrade our defence, add a right-sided dman and a 3rd line centre. The addition of Campbell also allows us to deal Edler for more forward help.

The combined cap hit for Vancouver goes from 9.5M (Lu and Ballard) to 5.7M, giving us more space.

Florida lowers their payroll by $7M, the 2 players counting as a 9.5M cap hit plus the $5.7M for absorbing Van players meaning they have a cap hit of $15.2M and a payroll hit of $4.75M.

This works perfectly for both teams. This sort of deal may or may not be realistic, but its used for the purposes of illustrating the concept.

However, if the Canucks did this deal, they could then deal Edler to add some more offensive firepower.

I could even see a deal with the Islanders in a similar manner. Maybe something around Moulson and Visnovsky.

Seems to me like this is a great way to use the CBA to our advantage.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
It's time for Kyle Wellwood. Gillis could likely get him for next to nothing and when given top 6 linemates last season he outscored Ryan Kesler. If AV would prefer to just roll with what we have, he should be fired on the spot.

We need to start winning some faceoffs. Get Wellwood back already.
Give me a break. Wellwood is garbage. Softer than a pillow. Doesn't care about a defensive role and is just plain lazy.

That first Leaf goal was a great example of how useless he is.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Luongo1 View Post
With the new CBA, some of the advantages that wealthy teams had were taken away, however, a significant new one has been opened, and, I have yet to see it exploited.

I'm talking about the ability to pay salaries and have the other team absorb the cap hit. If we truly are one of the wealthy teams, I say we should take advantage of it.

Here's who I identify as teams that wont spend to the cap:

Florida
NY Islanders
Tampa Bay
Phoenix
Columbus
Nashville
Dallas

With the exception of Phoenix, none of these teams will be in our division/conference anymore. Why can't we make deals with these teams exploiting the new rules? Here's one that I would suggest:

To Vancouver:

Bryan Campbell
Mike Weaver
Alex Kovalev
Marcel Goc

Florida absorbs half the cap hit for these players for the duration of their contracts. This brings their combined cap hit from 11.4M to 5.7M.

To Florida:

Keith Ballard
Roberto Luongo
2nd round pick

Vancouver pays for half the salaries of the players for the duration of the contracts.

As a result, we upgrade our defence, add a right-sided dman and a 3rd line centre. The addition of Campbell also allows us to deal Edler for more forward help.

The combined cap hit for Vancouver goes from 9.5M (Lu and Ballard) to 5.7M, giving us more space.

Florida lowers their payroll by $7M, the 2 players counting as a 9.5M cap hit plus the $5.7M for absorbing Van players meaning they have a cap hit of $15.2M and a payroll hit of $4.75M.

This works perfectly for both teams. This sort of deal may or may not be realistic, but its used for the purposes of illustrating the concept.

However, if the Canucks did this deal, they could then deal Edler to add some more offensive firepower.

I could even see a deal with the Islanders in a similar manner. Maybe something around Moulson and Visnovsky.

Seems to me like this is a great way to use the CBA to our advantage.
What's the point of each team absorbing half the cap hits of the players they are sending each way? You realize when you take on half the cap hit of a player you are trading away that also includes you sending the actual cash expenditure to that team, right?

Old
03-17-2013, 04:03 PM
1Luongo1

Send a message via MSN to 1Luongo1 Send a message via Yahoo to 1Luongo1
Quote:
What's the point of each team absorbing half the cap hits of the players they are sending each way? You realize when you take on half the cap hit of a player you are trading away that also includes you sending the actual cash expenditure to that team, right?
I did not know that. My understanding is that you have the option to absorb salary, cap hit or both.

What I suggest is that the Canucks absorb salaries while the Panthers absorb cap hits.

Now, if what you say is correct, then what I've brought up doesn't work.

Anyone else have any idea of if you have to absorb both cap hit and salary or if you have the option to choose one?

Old
03-17-2013, 04:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Luongo1 View Post
I did not know that. My understanding is that you have the option to absorb salary, cap hit or both.

What I suggest is that the Canucks absorb salaries while the Panthers absorb cap hits.

Now, if what you say is correct, then what I've brought up doesn't work.

Anyone else have any idea of if you have to absorb both cap hit and salary or if you have the option to choose one?
There is no option, it's both.

Closed Thread