HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kichton rejects contract, likely to re-enter NHL draft (Drafted by WPG 190th overall)

Old
03-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Fan101

vCash: 500
Considering there are three solid prospects in front of him, Mayfield, Reinhart and Donovan plus other potential waiver pickups etc. the guy and his agent probably feel he has a better shot elsewhere. It does make the draft more of a free market. He will be 21 in three months so he is overage in a league with 16 yr olds.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Wagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I think it is more likely to be a money issue...Isles offering close to the league minimum, Kichton seeking closer to the deal that Donavan got.

I don't think it is just about the Isles' prospect pool...he is taking a risk on re-entering the draft.

Kichton may have taken the minimum last year when he could have spent this year in the AHL instead of juniors. Now, he would rather take his chance on being drafted higher and getting paid more.
Another fact. Kichton had to request an invite to camp last summer, he was not originally invited. Not sure why they drafted him he did what he was supposed to .

League minimum? Other teams are paying higher for less players

Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Take it as you will from BD Gallof:

Quote:
Told Kitchon really a $$ issue. Will be interesting how bears out #isles
https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/313301262923866114

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
seafoam

This just pisses me off. You'll sign Jason Clark, but you won't reward the leading point getting defenseman in the WHL for the past THREE years?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
This just pisses me off. You'll sign Jason Clark, but you won't reward the leading point getting defenseman in the WHL for the past THREE years?
Seems like Garth has a little MM in him, hard to admit mistakes. I guarantee you he pushed for drafting Clark and signed him in the hopes to prove he made the right pick....and maybe he didnt really want Kitchon and was pushed into it and is using every excuse to prove he'll fail. But you are right how does Clark get a contract and this kid cant.

I still think if they offer him a reasonable deal, commensurate with someone who dominated the league again, he'll sign. Question is, can Garth swallow his pride?

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Renbarg

I'm not sure its about swallowing pride, its about $.

Kitchon was drafted in the 5th round as a 19 year old. Those guys don't usually get high ELCs. Its a negotiation though, it aint over.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:27 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post

Kitchon was drafted in the 5th round as a 19 year old. Those guys don't usually get high ELCs. Its a negotiation though, it aint over.
I hope you are right. I have a feeling deHaan may never overcome his health issues. Kitchon would be a nice fall back.

Although having a wealth of defensive prospects is great for this franchise. We may actually have too many in a few seasons, but that's a problem worth having.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
seafoam

Quote:

Mike Halmo was undrafted and signed a pretty big ELC, Garth must know something we don't if he isn't willing to give Kichton the contract that his statistics suggests.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Mike Halmo was undrafted and signed a pretty big ELC, Garth must know something we don't if he isn't willing to give Kichton the contract that his statistics suggests.
You missed the point. This is a negotiation! Garth & co. are going to point to what other 5th rounders signed, and what other drafted 19 year olds signed. Kitchon and his representation are obviously going to point to someone who put up huge statistics and signed a nice ELC. There is a gap there, that's all it is. Same thing happened with Hamonic when he wanted to get paid like a 1st rounder, it went all the way down to the wire.

That doesn't mean Snow isn't willing to pay him much higher than what he is offering him now, it just means they haven't agreed to a contract yet.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
kuwo

Well, Habs just signed Darren Dietz, who was picked 11 spots after Kichton in 2011 and apparently has been one of the best WHL dmen this season. I wonder what the terms of his ELC are and whether those will be used as a basis for negotiation by one side or the other...

Last edited by kuwo: 03-17-2013 at 01:06 PM.
kuwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
Seems like Garth has a little MM in him, hard to admit mistakes. I guarantee you he pushed for drafting Clark and signed him in the hopes to prove he made the right pick....and maybe he didnt really want Kitchon and was pushed into it and is using every excuse to prove he'll fail. But you are right how does Clark get a contract and this kid cant.

I still think if they offer him a reasonable deal, commensurate with someone who dominated the league again, he'll sign. Question is, can Garth swallow his pride?
Kichton has produced the last 2 years as he should being 20 years plus in age playing vs 16 year olds. I'm not that impressed, but who does he deserve a contract over? Mayfield? Pedan? Pelech? Maybe just maybe he wanted 1st round money which he doesn't deserve. DO you think he should be paid as a rookie like Tavares was?

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
JTforPres2012

Find it very hard to believe that the Isles of all teams would let a promising prospect go. We've been rebuilding for 6 years!!!!

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:59 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
Kichton has produced the last 2 years as he should being 20 years plus in age playing vs 16 year olds. I'm not that impressed, but who does he deserve a contract over? Mayfield? Pedan? Pelech? Maybe just maybe he wanted 1st round money which he doesn't deserve. DO you think he should be paid as a rookie like Tavares was?
Good post and I fully agree with you. An overager dominating kids is not something I would throw first rounder money at.

I'd much rather see Mayfield or Pelech get an ELC over him. Jason Clark over Kichton is mindboggling though.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:07 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Good post and I fully agree with you. An overager dominating kids is not something I would throw first rounder money at.

I'd much rather see Mayfield or Pelech get an ELC over him. Jason Clark over Kichton is mindboggling though.
Perhaps I can add a little context to this. Yes Kichton is 20 years old this season. He put up identical numbers as an 18 and 19 year old kid as well. This is not a sudden emergence as an overage player.

Also, the group he works with in Spokane, are decent players but they aren't exactly chock full of talent. Kichton has made every player on the ice better for the last 3 seasons. Again..... He led ALL WHL Defenceman in scoring AND +/- FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

Its not really an A over B type of thing yet. If Jason Clark gets offered $1 (and accepts) and Kitchon gets offered $1.5 (and decline), how does that show that the Islanders value Clark > Kichton.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Perhaps I can add a little context to this. Yes Kichton is 20 years old this season. He put up identical numbers as an 18 and 19 year old kid as well. This is not a sudden emergence as an overage player.

Also, the group he works with in Spokane, are decent players but they aren't exactly chock full of talent. Kichton has made every player on the ice better for the last 3 seasons. Again..... He led ALL WHL Defenceman in scoring AND +/- FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS.
I don't care about his numbers. I've watched a bunch of Spokane games and think he's remarkably mediocre on the defensive side of things. I don't see his upside being above a #4, not unlike Spurgeon. I'm not against them signing him, but it shouldn't be for a max ELC contract. Islanders took a chance on him and now he's getting greedy. I'm not a fan of that.

Quote:
Its not really an A over B type of thing yet. If Jason Clark gets offered $1 (and accepts) and Kitchon gets offered $1.5 (and decline), how does that show that the Islanders value Clark > Kichton.
Jason Clark should have never been offered an ELC in the first place. His hip surgeries should have squashed it. The Islanders offering him a contract before Kitchon shows that they value him more.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Wagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I think it is more likely to be a money issue...Isles offering close to the league minimum, Kichton seeking closer to the deal that Donavan got.

I don't think it is just about the Isles' prospect pool...he is taking a risk on re-entering the draft.

Kichton may have taken the minimum last year when he could have spent this year in the AHL instead of juniors. Now, he would rather take his chance on being drafted higher and getting paid more.
Quote:
I don't care about his numbers. I've watched a bunch of Spokane games and think he's remarkably mediocre on the defensive side of things. I don't see his upside being above a #4, not unlike Spurgeon. I'm not against them signing him, but it shouldn't be for a max ELC contract. Islanders took a chance on him and now he's getting greedy. I'm not a fan of that.

Jason Clark should have never been offered an ELC in the first place. His hip surgeries should have squashed it. The Islanders offering him a contract before Kitchon shows that they value him more.

I agree numbers aren't everything, however the consistency says something on an average team, the last 3 years playing against all teams top lines and still maintaining a good career plus minus and contributing offensively . The contract should be fair market value as this kid is not a fifth rounder

Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

No, he probably shouldn't have been offered a contract but what you are saying doesn't make sense. Do the Islanders value Clark more because he was signed before Reinhart?

Old
03-17-2013, 06:11 PM
macleod50

Quote:
No, he probably shouldn't have been offered a contract but what you are saying doesn't make sense. Do the Islanders value Clark more because he was signed before Reinhart?
Yep, comparing a 2012 first round pick potential top pair defenseman's contract situation to a 2011 fifth and 2010 third rounder. indeed.

Kichton saying "The only thing I want on my birthday....A contract! #isles" on Twitter on June 18th. The Islanders sign Clark on July 17th. Read between the lines a bit. If I was Kichton I would take that as a slap in the face.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
Fact. Spurgeon was told that hockey was not in his future he should go to school, therefore not signed,I think he logs 20-25 for the wild

Fact. Kichton offered low ball offer in summer, which still stands today he is not in islanders plans. Only options trade him for something or go back in draft.

All these kids want to do is hockey.

There is no way nyi will burn up a year of elc to bring Kichton up to Bridgeport . It's all about money hence their reputation! and record!

Garth offered 5th round money and he's right to do so. Its a starting offer. I'm sure Garth will raise it up a little. This is all posturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Take it as you will from BD Gallof:

https://twitter.com/BDGallof/status/313301262923866114
Look below Bunk at what I wrote yesterday. He's got his 3 years, its all a matter of the green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
He's an entry level contract, so chuck him a little more $$$ and call it a day. He's going to get the max entry-level 3 years deal (??), so this is about money.

03-17-2013, 10:04 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
Why? It's not like the team has issues with signing prospects. Maybe they don't think he's worth what he wants.

This is a team, BTW, that gave Brock Nelson an OBSCENE amount of money on an ELC to leave UND early.
And they'd better be ready to do it again for Lee and Mayfield. (... and they had better get them signed)

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:06 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Draft him again & low ball him again.

LOVE this idea. Seriously.

I don't like that 20 year olds can negotiate too much for not even playing an NHL game. NHL teams should hold their rights for longer. The NHL should develop a pay-slotting system so wherever you are drafted you basically get paid a certain amount even if you "outplay" your draft position. Prove it at the NHL level and you will get paid later.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:07 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
How many prospects does this make now? If Snow is building a young core why aren't they lining up to jump in?
Believe me...I will NEVER defend anything wang does, but how are Gregoire and Kessel doing since we didn't sign them?

Old
03-17-2013, 10:11 PM
periferal

Quote:
No, but you're missing the point. Clark should have NEVER been signed at all. Not with all the young players we do have to sign over the next few years. I'd rather sign a street FA than Clark.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:19 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Garth offered 5th round money and he's right to do so. Its a starting offer. I'm sure Garth will raise it up a little. This is all posturing.

Look below Bunk at what I wrote yesterday. He's got his 3 years, its all a matter of the green.
Just to think this one out loud...

So you burn a draft pick on a guy from college who could split on you after his junior year. You do this hoping he turns into something special.

Then you get lucky and the guy does.

And there you are, going back to him with a 5th round pick money offer? Doesn't that seem, at a minimum, like bad planning? You hope he becomes something good, but when he does you don't have a plan to deal with it? I get how there could be burnt feelings with Nino and others who paid their dues if some primadonna from the college system passes them up, but they drafted this guy... from college... knowing and hoping they might have to have this hard decision... and then they don't do their part and make a better than 5th rounder contract offer?

Am I out of my mind to suggest that's stupid? And it isn't just "stupid" by itself, but a "Oh crud, you mean he actually panned out????!?" kind of stupid.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote