Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
Wonder how that will hold up in a poll on the main boards?

Title: is 30 goals per season=consistent goal scorer?

My money would be on "yes"

Perhaps that might have something to do with all the trade requests year in and year out... Perhaps they see something in Ryan that we don't... Yet we decline most of the proposals too... I'm confused
The main boards are certainly the definitive source of accurate player evaluations.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:00 PM
DaDucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
The main boards are certainly the definitive source of accurate player evaluations.
Not asking them to evaluate bobby.. It's just a simple question: can you call a player who averages 30 goals per season a consistent goal scorer... We don't even need to tell them were talking about bobby... Only referenced the main board because that's all I have to go off of.... But if u need further convincing ask 10 random people u come into contact with and get back to me with the results... Little field study for ya... Please keep the ages of people u ask from 5-65 range

Last edited by DaDucks: 03-17-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

You can play semantics all you want. Bobby spends more time on the side of a milk carton than most Ducks counted on to be a leader on the ice.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wonder how that will hold up in a poll on the main boards?

Title: is 30 goals per season=consistent goal scorer?

My money would be on "yes"

Perhaps that might have something to do with all the trade requests year in and year out... Perhaps they see something in Ryan that we don't... Yet we decline most of the proposals too... I'm confused
I don't think you're arguing the same thing that Skippy is. The results at the end of the season don't make Ryan a consistent player game to game. Bobby has always been incredibly streaky. He'll go a number of games and be invisible, and then he'll have some good games.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
snowave

I like the guy, alot... and have not been one of these 'trade him' people... btw,DaDucks...I've been watching hockey since 1989, (probably before you were born) and a Ducks fan since 2003.

Lets put this another way so maybe I can get my point across ...

Ryan has more chances that he fails to connect on than almost any player I've seen in a long time. You can only use the snakebitten cliche so much. If he connected on only 1/4 of the scoring attempts, then I'd be thrilled. He 'just misses' SO much... and has been that way alot the last couple years. He could/should be so much better.

Throw all the stats you want out there, the bottom line is, I think for a 5.4/yr player, and the periodic talent spurts he shows....he should/needs to be playing at a higher level.... CONSISTENTLY.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Not asking them to evaluate bobby.. It's just a simple question: can you call a player who averages 30 goals per season a consistent goal scorer... We don't even need to tell them were talking about bobby... Only referenced the main board because that's all I have to go off of.... But if u need further convincing ask 10 random people u come into contact with and get back to me with the results... Little field study for ya... Please keep the ages of people u ask from 5-65 range
If that's what you're hanging your hat on, okay. We've all seen him play, and even a fanboy can agree he's good 2 games out of 10. He's not a franchise player and can't carry a line, but yeah, he'll probably end up with 30 goals at the end of most seasons.

It's not surprising that a Ryan fan is asking for his worth to be evaluated on a generic, on-paper basis, rather than by watching him be worthless 80% of the time.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't think you're arguing the same thing that Skippy is. The results at the end of the season don't make Ryan a consistent player game to game. Bobby has always been incredibly streaky. He'll go a number of games and be invisible, and then he'll have some good games.
He knows what I meant. He's just taking the only angle he can.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
You can play semantics all you want. Bobby spends more time on the side of a milk carton than most Ducks counted on to be a leader on the ice.
?

Who's asking him to be a leader on the ice? I don't think that's his roll. I think 95 percent of all NHL players fit your description... he certainly wasn't "lost" last night he almost won the game... either leading the team or on the back of a milk carton? What happened to the middle ground I wonder

Old
03-17-2013, 02:32 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The tone skippy is giving seems over the top negative on bobby... Hence my over the top replies

Ohh god Bobby's good 2 out of ten games according to skippy now

Old
03-17-2013, 02:36 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
He knows what I meant. He's just taking the only angle he can.
I've given you several angles, thought the last one would end the conversation but here we are

Old
03-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Ryan is frustrating. I love the guy. Never have I had an NHL player talk to me as often as he does, but he's a hard to one to evaluate. I think he is misused A LOT, but that can only go so far.

I was very excited to see him doing well at center. He was more engaged and it really seemed to bring out the best in him. I also was excited about seeing him and Getzlaf as a pair because this could be vital if Perry leaves. I hate Selanne on that line. He simply can't handle that role anymore. I'd rather see Palmieri with them. Hell even Beleskey. Ryan's issue IMO is that he doesn't go to the dirty areas enough. He relies all on his skill. Regardless of how he's used though, players with his talent should never go invisible as long as he does. He's as inconsistent as they come.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:42 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
I like the guy, alot... and have not been one of these 'trade him' people... btw,DaDucks...I've been watching hockey since 1989, (probably before you were born) and a Ducks fan since 2003.

Ryan has more chances that he fails to connect on than almost any player I've seen in a long time. You can only use the snakebitten cliche so much. If he connected on only 1/4 of the scoring attempts, then I'd be thrilled. He 'just misses' SO much... and has been that way alot the last couple years. He could/should be so much better.

Throw all the stats you want out there, the bottom line is, I think for a 5.4/yr player, and the periodic talent spurts he shows....he should/needs to be playing at a higher level.... CONSISTENTLY.
I'm 31.. And fan since 93..

I really thought bobby would get some slack this year being that he's the only one on the 2nd line who has consistently put points on the board and been solid defensively

I'm sorry bobby can't spread his points out for u guys.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
I've given you several angles, thought the last one would end the conversation but here we are
You did take more than one angle getting to where you are. You went from Bobby killing it for the past couple weeks (not true), to an argument about consistency as evidenced by 6 points in 3 games (the opposite of what you were arguing), to consistency as measured by consecutive 30-goal seasons.

Literally the only angle you could take and not be technically wrong, even though it was a deliberate misinterpretation. But no, Ryan's not a consistent player. Sorry.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
I'm 31.. And fan since 93..

I really thought bobby would get some slack this year being that he's the only one on the 2nd line who has consistently putt points on the board and been solid defensively

I'm sorry bobby can't spread his points out for u guys.
Not sure how long you've been a member here, but if you were here last year, you should know he's getting a lot more credit than he got last year.

The points are there but anyone who's watched the games this year can and should admit that he is very inconsistent when it comes to game to game play.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
You did take more than one angle getting to where you are. You went from Bobby killing it for the past couple weeks (not true), to an argument about consistency as evidenced by 6 points in 3 games (the opposite of what you were arguing), to consistency as measured by consecutive 30-goal seasons.

Literally the only angle you could take and not be technically wrong, even though it was a deliberate misinterpretation. But no, Ryan's not a consistent player. Sorry.

Ahh thought u might of missed the key to Bobby's consistency could be solved by better line mates.. That's why I brought up his success with the RPG line for 3 games which should still be together if it wasn't for the P being suspended.. That's why I had try a Steer the covo another direction but I guess I should have just stayed on this topic. Look at Bobby's line mates on the 2nd line... Your answer to why he's not consistent could be found there

Old
03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Pointless in 3 to start the year, then a 4-game streak. Pointless in the next 3, then a 4-point game. 2 points in the next 6, then a 7-game point streak. Now pointless in the last 3. Consistent player, mmk.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:58 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
Pointless in 3 to start the year, then a 4-game streak. Pointless in the next 3, then a 4-point game. 2 points in the next 6, then a 7-game point streak. Now pointless in the last 3. Consistent player, mmk.
2nd line
2nd pp

Old
03-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Ahh thought u might of missed the key to Bobby's consistency could be solved by better line mates.. That's why I brought up his success with the RPG line for 3 games which should still be together if it wasn't for the P being suspended.. That's why I had try a Steer the covo another direction but I guess I should have just stayed on this topic. Look at Bobby's line mates on the 2nd line... Your answer to why he's not consistent could be found there
A 7 game point streak, only 3 of which came while he was part of the RPG line. But okay, sure. It's his linemates' fault.

For those of you following along at home, it goes
Killing it!
I mean, scoring lately!
I mean, consistent scorer!
Okay not consistent, but it's not his fault!

What comes next? My guess is: okay it's his fault, but it's unfair to expect more!

Old
03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Ryan's switched off again. Soon enough one of his overcomplicated dangles will work and he'll be great for a game or two.

But we shouldn't bench him. I dunno how a team that's 7-0-3 benches anybody. There's no one better waiting in the wings. This must be the least satisfied fan base of a 20-3 team in the history of fandom. (although that's a pretty narrow category). This happens once never-y so often.
We shouldn`t bench 25 yo. The veteran players should be benched. They are getting weared down even if they look good. We`ll need them into playoffs, if we make it

PS
Beauch looked shaky yesterday imo

Old
03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 478
Quote:
well if the pattern continues he should get one against the sharts.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
We shouldn`t bench 25 yo. The veteran players should be benched. They are getting weared down even if they look good. We`ll need them into playoffs, if we make it

PS
Beauch looked shaky yesterday imo
Yeah I'd give Teemu a game, if he wanted it. He looks totally beat.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:07 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Not sure how long you've been a member here, but if you were here last year, you should know he's getting a lot more credit than he got last year.

The points are there but anyone who's watched the games this year can and should admit that he is very inconsistent when it comes to game to game play.

Ohh I remember last year very well.
I remember bobby getting 4x the flak than getzlaf should of had...

Your right about being a really nice person. I've met him a few times and great part of why I defend him every chance I get.. The definitive factor for bobby being my fav player was his positive attitude and reaction to going down to the 2nd line. His comment was in the ballpark of "I'm happy to help the team anyway I can"

The guy would have much better numbers = future money for staying with RPG the last few years

Old
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
DaDucks

Quote:
A 7 game point streak, only 3 of which came while he was part of the RPG line. But okay, sure. It's his linemates' fault.

For those of you following along at home, it goes
Killing it!
I mean, scoring lately!
I mean, consistent scorer!
Okay not consistent, but it's not his fault!

What comes next? My guess is: okay it's his fault, but it's unfair to expect more!
No captain stat boy... I haven't waiverd off thinking bobby is a consistent scorer... Just trying to piece it together for u non believers..

Old
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post

You should start getting worried when he never gets any chances. goal scorers go through periods like this, then soon enough he'll rip off about 7 goals in 5 games. last night was a good example, had a great chance, but bad ice caused the puck to bounce around. Also he sometimes has a bad habit of not moving his feet, which is why it was a good idea to play him at center and he was doing a good job there.

It also doesn't help trying to force him and Selanne together, it just doesn't ever work. IMO Ryan plays better with the kids than he does with the older players

Old
03-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
No captain stat boy... I haven't waiverd off thinking bobby is a consistent scorer... Just trying to piece it together for u non believers..
Aaaaand, just so we're clear, you made the argument about 30 goals year-to-year = consistency, but I'm "captain stat boy."

I think you could have gotten rid of either captain or boy. It's a little weird and redundant to use both. Examples: 1) okay, Captain Stats. 2) okay, Stat Boy. See?

Closed Thread