HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Datsyuk is the best 2 way player in the world

Old
03-17-2013, 02:38 PM
19Yzerman19

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
I think the praise that Pav gets in the annual Player's Polls speaks enough about how great he is.
yeah but what do actual NHL really know about the talent of PD, hf posters are way more knowledgable on the matter of who is great and who is feared among his peers and who is only ho-hum.

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Syckle78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I'm going to guess you're under 20?

Lemieux was the most skilled player of all time, while Lafleur and Bure were about as exciting as they come.
Entertainment is entirely subjective. Can't be right or wrong ranking entertainment value. Yzerman is my favorite player of all time without question better than Datsyuk. Datsyuk however is more entertaining.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shoalzie

Quote:
I'm going to guess you're under 20?

Lemieux was the most skilled player of all time, while Lafleur and Bure were about as exciting as they come.

I'm not going to bag on Lemieux because he's an all-time great but what helped make him dominate was his size and reach. A smaller player with skills is more amazing because they don't have physical advantages like bigger players. Gretzky was amazing because of his slight build and not having great speed.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Datsyuk thread on main boards? Uh oh here comes...

Saku11 to put him down
fly4apuckguy to put him down
a group of Blackhawks fans to tell us we aren't very good anymore, and that they have Toews

get your shields up my brethren!
Oh yes, Datsyuk is soooooo persecuted and never gets the credit he deserves. It's funny how fans live in their little bubble when it comes to their own players.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
One of the most criminally underrated players in any sport. In my eyes, he's right there with guys like Crosby, hockey is a 2-way game. People are too enamored by offense when guys like Datysuk are arguably, impacting the game way more in a tighter system.
Hockey is also an offensive game, where the team that scores the most goals wins, and Sidney Crosby is MILES ahead of Datsyuk offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Oh yes, Datsyuk is soooooo persecuted and never gets the credit he deserves. It's funny how fans live in their little bubble when it comes to their own players.
Exactly. Datsyuk is probably HFBoards most beloved player and he gets his fair share of love throughout the hockey world. Just watch CBC last night. For two periods, Vancouver was taking most of the play to Detroit and, yet, it was "The Pavel Datsyuk Show". Almost every stop in play was followed by an analysis of Datsyuk's play. "What a backcheck", "what a pivot", "look at the way he looks at the play from the bench... like an eagle"....

If anything, it's his teammate Zetterberg who's underrated.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:40 PM
WarriorofTime

Was.

These days, Toews has surpassed him.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Mickey Mouse

Quote:
Hockey is also an offensive game, where the team that scores the most goals wins, and Sidney Crosby is MILES ahead of Datsyuk offensively.
But that's not what this thread is about

Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Hockey is also a defensive game, where the team that allows the least amount of goals wins, and Pavel Datsyuk is MILES ahead of the player who shall not be named defensively,

Old
03-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
I get it. There is a lot of love on HF for him. I don't always go in those threads, myself. I don't need to always be told he is good, I watch 99.99% of Wings games. But if you don't want to read about it, just don't go in the thread. I don't live in a bubble. I watch as much games around the NHL as I can. I am just going to go out on a limb and say probably more than the average posters on here. Have had Centre Ice for a decade or so, and typically will watch hockey from 7pm-1am EST most nights. If Wings are playing they get my attention, but otherwise I try to watch at least a bit of everyone else, too. So anyway. Keep on flaming/ bashing, I'll be here.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:46 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
But that's not what this thread is about
I responded to his individual post, that stated that Datsyuk's 30 points and elite-level defensive play was somehow better than Crosby's 48 points and very good defense defensive play.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:47 PM
WarriorofTime

Datsyuk never really got his due in the mainstream media (Wings focus was always on Yzerman and then Lidstrom.. and a ton of other players get more attention nationally). But I would on HFBoards he definitely gets his due and is maybe even slightly overrated (you would think he put ups 97 points every year instead of having done it twice).

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Hockey is also a defensive game, where the team that allows the least amount of goals wins, and Pavel Datsyuk is MILES ahead of the player who shall not be named defensively,
sorry, i don't see "miles ahead" defensively when watching the 2. datsyuk has an edge defensively no doubt. if the other guy were a floater i would give you "miles ahead". but saying "miles ahead", without anything to back it up, reeks of a transparent agenda to prop up datsyuk. the offensive comparison is supported by some cold hard facts though...

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Fuelled by Passion

Datsyuk is the best player in the world easily

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
sorry, i don't see "miles ahead" defensively when watching the 2. datsyuk has an edge defensively no doubt. if the other guy were a floater i would give you "miles ahead". but saying "miles ahead", without anything to back it up, reeks of a transparent agenda to prop up datsyuk. the offensive comparison is supported by some cold hard facts though...
Datsyuk plays in the west. Put him in the East without a human backboard on his line and it's not such a big difference. Besides that the player who shall not be named is not a good defensive player. The gap is rather large. Maybe not a mile but at least a couple city blocks.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
He won 3 straight Selke's.

I know that the game vs the Canucks was the first Red Wings game you've ever watched, but everyone else in the hockey world knows how good Datsyuk is.

He's easily been a top 3 defensive forward for the past 5 years, probably would've been #1 in all of them if not for injuries.
Exactly! Sometimes you really need to resist the urge to hit the submit new thread button. Okay, maybe a lot of times if you're Puck.

03-17-2013, 03:03 PM
StringerBell

Crosby is a two way player too, and he is unquestionably better than Datsyuk. The conversation for #2 however most certainly begins with Datsyuk, although it doesn't necessarily end with him.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:03 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

Datsyuk is not a first ballot HOF'er stop it.

first of all his first four playoff appearances were absolutely putrid, he was given the label as a playoff choker until he showed improvement in the 07 playoffs. He has been a key player on one cup winning team.

he has 4 amazing years on his resume, and 4 very good years so far, and now maybe a 5th.

Hall of famer? quite possibly, first ballot? no.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Wow, talk about exaggerating things.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rogalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
He is the most complete player in the world. His defensive game is underrated, hope he wins another Selke. People compare him to Fedorov, hes a step above. If its true that he plans on going back to Russia to play after next year (according to CBC) that will put a huge hole on the wings roster and the sport will really miss him.
Goodness...Ive seen this in so many threads its kinda pissing me off - the sport wont miss him...he will still play hockey in Russia. The man is not dying...

Rogalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MFSorcerer*

Quote:

You must be talking about Ovechkin. Because Sid's defensive game is way closer to PD than PD's offensive game is close to Sid's.

MFSorcerer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:06 PM
MFSorcerer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post
Datsyuk is the best player in the world easily

You overrated him. Easily.

MFSorcerer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFSorcerer View Post
You must be talking about Ovechkin. Because Sid's defensive game is way closer to PD than PD's offensive game is close to Sid's.
Exactly.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Crosby is a two way player too, and he is unquestionably better than Datsyuk. The conversation for #2 however most certainly begins with Datsyuk, although it doesn't necessarily end with him.
Well put.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Mickey Mouse

The best way to see HF's honest opinion on this thread is to Ignore Pen's and Wings fans' posts and just read the rest

Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Datsyuk is not a first ballot HOF'er stop it.

first of all his first four playoff appearances were absolutely putrid, he was given the label as a playoff choker until he showed improvement in the 07 playoffs. He has been a key player on one cup winning team.

he has 4 amazing years on his resume, and 4 very good years so far, and now maybe a 5th.

Hall of famer? quite possibly, first ballot? no.
I would be willing to bet he gets in first ballot. He's the type of player the voters love. Media loves him, no character issues, top three players on successful teams, individual awards, high peak offensive seasons, and highlight reel for days.

Should he be? Who knows, determining the difference between first ballot and not is guess work. Most people thought Shanahan would be and Sundin wouldn't be and we seem how that turned out.