HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This year: Advantage for Habs to win it all

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 02:38 PM
  #1
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
This year: Advantage for Habs to win it all

We are a smaller team with many key components 5'10" or less. (Pleks, Gionta, DD, Gallagher). More importantly, 9 of our 13 forwards are under 200 pounds (only Max, Lars, Moen, and Borque are more). Even our defense is unusually smallish compared to the league.

I believe the longer the season, the more injuries these smaller bodies get, which ultimately hurts our chances. And if not injured, certainly worn down. You have to admit, an 82 game season is not really to our advantage, but more to the advantage of the bigger teams in the league. The constant wear and tear on a smaller body has to take a greater toll over more time and games.

Thus, take advantage of the 48 game season and win baby, win!

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:42 PM
  #2
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?
 
dynastyREredux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
The fact that the schedule is more condensed offsets a lot of that. How much of it is hard to say,.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:53 PM
  #3
hardcorehabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
It's funny because its not our small players who are injured right now.

hardcorehabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
  #4
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 500
I don't think all the pieces are in place yet to go all the way. The shorter schedule helps but the benefits will quickly erode in the playoffs.

I'm not overly concerned about our small forwards durability over the long haul. All of them have proven to be consistent and not injury prone. They cycle well and are quick to pucks.

My concern lies with the lack of size on D. We've been very effective moving the puck out of our zone so far, but over a long series I could see our guys getting worn down by aggressive checking and the later hits that they allow in the playoffs. Subban and Markov eat big minutes, but I don't think Markov can keep it up over long series without risking injury. It's nice to give rookies a look but the deeper we go in the playoffs we'll find ourselves needing a a guy to step up and give us 18-20 hard minutes... I don't think that guy is in our system yet, and if we don't get him, that will be our downfall.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
  #5
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,189
vCash: 50
By the end of the season, if Galchenyuk is able to put in 15mins + and be able to fully exploit his potential, we have very serious chances of winning the cup.

There is not a team except Chicago who has three lines as dangerous as ours if Galchenyuk and Eller become what we all wish they can accomplish.

Our D squad is simply amazing, I don't think there's a team out there who has the level of competence and skill we currently hold.

Only the future will tell but if we keep on getting better and better we might just be celebrating our 25th cup in a few months.


I don't think our lack of size is an issue because as long as other teams will base their gameplan solely on toughness we will be able to edge out wins.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:21 PM
  #6
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
By the end of the season, if Galchenyuk is able to put in 15mins + and be able to fully exploit his potential, we have very serious chances of winning the cup.

There is not a team except Chicago who has three lines as dangerous as ours if Galchenyuk and Eller become what we all wish they can accomplish.

Our D squad is simply amazing, I don't think there's a team out there who has the level of competence and skill we currently hold.

Only the future will tell but if we keep on getting better and better we might just be celebrating our 25th cup in a few months.


I don't think our lack of size is an issue because as long as other teams will base their gameplan solely on toughness we will be able to edge out wins.
Bruins, Pens, and Blackhawks stand in our way

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:25 PM
  #7
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
The fact that the schedule is more condensed offsets a lot of that. How much of it is hard to say,.
this year is a total crap shoot , it would not be a surprise if we see a Kings type 8th seed do some damage this year

enjoy the ride

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:50 PM
  #8
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
this year is a total crap shoot , it would not be a surprise if we see a Kings type 8th seed do some damage this year

enjoy the ride
I agree with you for something for once

The normal NHL season is over 100 games for the SC Champions. This season's max games would be 48+28=76 games which is less than a regular season. It's an oddity for which there is but one precedent (1994-95).

Teams which get "hot" despite some deficiencies may be able to overcome their shortcomings which might not be the case over a traditional season. Or not

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:50 PM
  #9
McNuts
Registered User
 
McNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,824
vCash: 500
Smaller bodies don't get tired faster.

/thread.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
  #10
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Smaller bodies don't get tired faster.

/thread.
They get hurt easier when a 6'4, 220 lbs person smashes into them.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:00 PM
  #11
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I don't think all the pieces are in place yet to go all the way. The shorter schedule helps but the benefits will quickly erode in the playoffs.

I'm not overly concerned about our small forwards durability over the long haul. All of them have proven to be consistent and not injury prone. They cycle well and are quick to pucks.

My concern lies with the lack of size on D. We've been very effective moving the puck out of our zone so far, but over a long series I could see our guys getting worn down by aggressive checking and the later hits that they allow in the playoffs. Subban and Markov eat big minutes, but I don't think Markov can keep it up over long series without risking injury. It's nice to give rookies a look but the deeper we go in the playoffs we'll find ourselves needing a a guy to step up and give us 18-20 hard minutes... I don't think that guy is in our system yet, and if we don't get him, that will be our downfall.
Agree completely. So much depends on our D, and as talented as they are, they'll be the first to go down in a long, tiring playoff run. A lot depends on Diaz coming back and staying healthy, and then there are the X-Factors like Tinordi and/or a trade in the next two weeks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
this year is a total crap shoot , it would not be a surprise if we see a Kings type 8th seed do some damage this year

enjoy the ride
100% right. Every year sees an underdog jump up and a sure-thing disappear, but this season feels like the card deck has been reshuffled and the league rebooted. The underdog Habs and Ducks are already at the top, meanwhile old favourites like the Caps, Flyers and even the Canucks seem to be going nowhere. Who's a reasonable underdog right now - St Louis? Detroit? Winnipeg?

We could take any team in the EC, depending on our health.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:00 PM
  #12
ti-vite
Registered User
 
ti-vite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,076
vCash: 500
We would need some help, and like all cup contenders, click at the right time. A 'soft' first round team for the habs and say have the bruins match up against Philly or Rags that can explode any time would be good. Keep wear and tear to a minimum.

Regardless, I love watching goldy locks Therrien coach this team, love the energy and style, love the Subban, the Price is Right, depths, go habs go!

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:13 PM
  #13
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,080
vCash: 500
Stop exaggerating. Plekanec is 5'11!

(he is though)

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:15 PM
  #14
McNuts
Registered User
 
McNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They get hurt easier when a 6'4, 220 lbs person smashes into them.
Except small players are injured less often than big players.

Most players injured right now in the NHL are over 200 pounds.

Hence, this thread's premise is wrong and the entire conversation is pointless.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
  #15
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,293
vCash: 500
I don't think there's any correlation between player size and the number of injuries they suffer. When talking injuries most people reference schedule and days off.

Looking at the schedule there are 5 times (Including Today/Tomorrow) where we have 2 days between games left. Compare that to the Bruins who have only have one 2-day break left. Haven't checked other teams, but being rested going into the playoffs could be huge.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:53 PM
  #16
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorehabs View Post
It's funny because its not our small players who are injured right now.
Prust- 195
Ryder- 198
Diaz- 193?
Borque-215

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:11 PM
  #17
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
I loved the guy as a player, but there's a certain level of irony in the OP of this thread having a Turner Stevenson avatar.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:41 PM
  #18
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Stop exaggerating. Plekanec is 5'11!

(he is though)
Hockeydb lists him as 5'10. I think he is more like 5'9"

Am I allowed to link good trusting sites?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
  #19
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I loved the guy as a player, but there's a certain level of irony in the OP of this thread having a Turner Stevenson avatar.
A bit confused because I don't exactly see the connection. Turner is one of my all-time fave Habs and yes, I do like the physical players who excite me with big hits......but what does this have to do with this thread?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:48 PM
  #20
rockjngo
Registered User
 
rockjngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Hockeydb lists him as 5'10. I think he is more like 5'9"

Am I allowed to link good trusting sites?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385
I didn't believe it when they listed him 5'11", honestly he looks smaller than Crosby and Crosby is 5'11". I think Plek is between 5"9.5 and 5"10". I can assure you that Plek is taller than Gionta when they stood next to each other.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:59 PM
  #21
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Hockeydb lists him as 5'10. I think he is more like 5'9"

Am I allowed to link good trusting sites?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56385
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I didn't believe it when they listed him 5'11", honestly he looks smaller than Crosby and Crosby is 5'11". I think Plek is between 5"9.5 and 5"10". I can assure you that Plek is taller than Gionta when they stood next to each other.
I've always known his height listed as 5'11, but I agree that he really doesn't look it. I'm curious now, lets dig up pictures of players standing together.

EDIT: found pic 1, pic 2, pic 3, pic 4, pic 5, pic 6, pic 7, pic 8, pic 9

Yeah, I'd say 5'10 is fair.


Last edited by Dekar: 03-17-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:04 PM
  #22
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I agree with you for something for once

The normal NHL season is over 100 games for the SC Champions. This season's max games would be 48+28=76 games which is less than a regular season. It's an oddity for which there is but one precedent (1994-95).

Teams which get "hot" despite some deficiencies may be able to overcome their shortcomings which might not be the case over a traditional season. Or not
holy smokes u made my day , u agree

typically at the 50 game mark in an 82 game schedule , we start to see separation
where the lucky teams start to drop off a bit , overachievers get back to normal
and the injured start getting healthy and teams start to improve

this year there is no time for slumps , Buffalo may in a regular season may make late run but now they are done at the 28 game mark , too many 3 point games to make up any difference

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:14 PM
  #23
JSBach
Registered User
 
JSBach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
If we do win the Cup, I won't be looking forward to the "Shortened season; doesn't count" or "Worst championship team of all time" threads.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
  #24
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
I don't agree that being smaller necessarily means you are more likely to get injured. But I do agree that the shorter schedule is going to benefit the Habs, mainly because our team has so many rookies and inexperienced NHLers that a longer campaign would've maybe taken a larger toll on them.

With all the young players in the lineup, I think they will more easily be able to sustain a high pace of NHL hockey while facing tougher opponents because the won't have to do it for a period of time as long as a usual NHL season.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
  #25
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBach View Post
If we do win the Cup, I won't be looking forward to the "Shortened season; doesn't count" or "Worst championship team of all time" threads.
Or my city getting burned to the ground by rioters.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.