HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Drew Stafford to Minnesota

Old
03-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He said top-10 PROTECTED. In other words, a conditional 1st. The condition being that if Minnesota goes in the tank and gets a top-10 pick, the 1st rounder will be for the 2014 draft.
Ah, didn't know there was such a thing, thank you for informing me.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:03 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go to Sleep View Post
Stafford has been scoring well these last few games; raising the value.

I'd trade him for Cullen. Like someone before said, he's capable of some good D and good at faceoffs.
I suspect the Sabres are looking for a younger player than Cullen or a pick. A 36 year old center doest fit with where this team is at the moment. They already have a mediocre mid 30s defensive center.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

You guys can always flip UFA rental players for picks before the deadline.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Knew the Sabres would be wanting a young forward in return, and it's completely understandable why. Unfortunately Granlund, Zucker and Coyle are all pretty much untouchable from the Wild's POV. I think about any other forward prospect could be had though. Wild fan's won't like me saying Larsson could be had but to get a guy like Stafford, sacrifices have to be made. I'd be willing to offer any one of Larsson, Phillips, Haula, or Lucia in a deal to get Stafford.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:46 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He said top-10 PROTECTED. In other words, a conditional 1st. The condition being that if Minnesota goes in the tank and gets a top-10 pick, the 1st rounder will be for the 2014 draft.

Which, again, is why we're bad trading partners. Regier will absolutely want one of Zucker, Coyle, or your 1st rounder AND will not want to take back significant salary--unless you're going to give us one of those pieces. Since it doesn't sound like you're willing to give up one of those pieces, Buffalo taking back at least $3m of players about to be UFAs is a non-starter.

Stafford has size and has demonstrated an ability to score goals in this league. Several teams would be happy to make a deal for him and give up something that Buffalo values.
You're not getting a top 3 prospect + from many teams for Stafford. Pominville, definitely, but not Stafford.

You might be able to get a first and mid level prospect, or something along that lines, but Stafford has been an underperforming winger most of this season. It just is what it is.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:00 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Savard or J.A.-Marchessault + 3rd from CBJ?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Djp

Buffalo has the flexibility to eat half of Stafford's salary. Buffalo would be looking look likely tie conditional compensation based on the teams performance and his performance. Something like a 2013 #1 plus 2014 pick that starts as a 4th but could go up to a 1 st based on goals and points produced.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Knew the Sabres would be wanting a young forward in return, and it's completely understandable why. Unfortunately Granlund, Zucker and Coyle are all pretty much untouchable from the Wild's POV. I think about any other forward prospect could be had though. Wild fan's won't like me saying Larsson could be had but to get a guy like Stafford, sacrifices have to be made. I'd be willing to offer any one of Larsson, Phillips, Haula, or Lucia in a deal to get Stafford.
There was a time I would have dealt a substantial amount for Stafford but not now. He's too streaky and almost appears to have trouble getting motivated. I've watched the Sabres a fair amount this year and keep waiting for him to show me something.

I would be willing to offer something around Gustafson/Phillips but Larsson and Lucia just have too high an upside. As for Haula he's developed so well the past couple of years but I can't quite get a read on him. I'm not sure if he's a potential #2 center or not?

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Kenny G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
To Buff: Scandella, Phillips, 2nd

To Wild: Stafford (Buffalo retains half his salary for this year)

Solid deal.

Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote