HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Post Game & 3 Stars : 3/16 DET @ VAN

View Poll Results: 3 Stars
Zetterberg 50 81.97%
Howard 45 73.77%
Datsyuk 57 93.44%
Kindl 5 8.20%
Abdelkader 10 16.39%
Franzen 0 0%
White 0 0%
Burrows 2 3.28%
Cleary 3 4.92%
Kronwall 2 3.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Those are 4 massive points after a few stinkers. We have to continue finding ways to win on the road to make it.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Datsyuk
Howard
Zetterberg.

HM: Kindl/Abby

Z was working really hard tonight. Watch him along the boards, just protecting and possessing the puck. Good stuff.

Datsyuk, same old same old. Takeaways galore, setups all over the place, and last but not least, manages to give Abby two goals. He literally did not have a say in the matter. Datsyuk didn't put it on his stick, he put it on his body.

Howie. Completely solid game all around. Made some huge saves. Good for him. He's an absolutely dependable goalie every night. Some nights are better than others, but so very few regular season Osgood meltdowns. I like the kid.

Kindl. +4, I think he got a point or two as well. Just another smart game by him. What can you say? When he's out there, the Wings are scoring and the other team is not. And unlike some others, he actually has some input on that, he puts up some points.

Abby. Hey, I give him credit for driving to the net. If that's what he's gotta do, then he's doing it. He is still the singled worst offensively minded player on the team other than Howard/Quincey.

I'm also giving a shoutout for my favorite grinder, Miller. He made one really terrific play to Zetterberg and another really good one to keep the puck in and get it to an open Wing. He took his period and a half of being on the top line and made some stuff happen, as he usually does. And as I always point out, for dirt cheap. Did some good work on the PK as well. I think he was out there for part of the 5 on 3. Shows you how much trust he gets. Out of all the grinders, he's the one I would least like to give up. He's so cheap and he's better than most of the ones we have anyway. Lock that kid up. I bet he'd surprise us if he was given some more point production responsibility.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:42 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
They have a weird dynamic going. All this fun stuff by Luongo on twitter and how they're reacting to the goalie 'controversy'. They remind me so much of the Sharks with Nabokov.
definitely

very good comparison to SJ and nabokov

i almost always try to avoid speculation about mentality of players, because i don't know them at all, but vancouver seems to me to be a mentally weak team. they really seem to play less hard when they fall behind.

i also think several years failure to win (by a team expected to win) creates a sort of cloud over a team which sometimes/often causes the players to think about their lack of success and to react to adversity more with worry and doubt instead of greater determination.

similar to the idea that goalies should have a short memory, so they don't focus on goals they should have stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
We beat a good team after blowing games against ****** teams. If we had beat those ****** teams we would be looking prettaaaay good. Now were just another fish in a large fish bowl.
and these last 2 games were back to back.

this was a very important win. during 3rd period vs edmonton, i was close to giving up hope for the playoffs, but datsyuk and zetterberg started to play better and they came back and won that game. and the same happened in this game.

playoffs depend on datsyuk and zetterberg, imo. and goaltending

also good to win 2 consecutive road games.

Last edited by nik jr: 03-17-2013 at 01:38 AM.
nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:53 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Those are 4 massive points after a few stinkers. We have to continue finding ways to win on the road to make it.
As bad as the Wings have been, they're doing just enough to keep their head above water.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:58 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
1. Dats
2. Howard
3. Zetta

The anti-star is Kronwall. Brutal yet again. Abdelkator scored twice (15 games in, he finally learned what it takes to play with Dats), but almost cost us two goals against, if it weren't for Howard.
Why Kronwall? The 1st goal was all Lashoff.
Quote:
They are indeed. BTW the Jacket are 6-0-4 in their last 10, so they are red hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
As bad as the Wings have been, they're doing just enough to keep their head above water.
It might be like that till the very end, but right now we have just a little bit of room.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:28 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

HM to Quincey. Why? Each time he isn't on the team, they play better. When he was injured, they went on a bit of a tear. He went down against Edmonton, they won in OT. Conspiracy theory? I think not!

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:38 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Didn't watch the game due to some St. Patty's days "ginger ales", but I was amazed when I checked the boxscore and saw Abdelkader score twice. Words cannot adequately describe how hard I laughed when I saw his two "goals". Good on Datsyuk to learn to not try and pass it to his stick, but rather just bounce it off his skates so he has less of a chance to **** it up.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:45 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
HM to Quincey. Why? Each time he isn't on the team, they play better. When he was injured, they went on a bit of a tear. He went down against Edmonton, they won in OT. Conspiracy theory? I think not!
Interesting

Datsyuk
Z
Kindl

HM Abdelkader

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:58 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
definitely

very good comparison to SJ and nabokov

i almost always try to avoid speculation about mentality of players, because i don't know them at all, but vancouver seems to me to be a mentally weak team. they really seem to play less hard when they fall behind.

i also think several years failure to win (by a team expected to win) creates a sort of cloud over a team which sometimes/often causes the players to think about their lack of success and to react to adversity more with worry and doubt instead of greater determination.
Possibly.. same thing seems to be happening with Washington right now. Well it has been happening for a longer period of time but not it's showing up.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
OMG, I called it! Cleary on after hours! LOL

I fell asleep before After Hours came on...I was wondering who was going to be the guest. Is it worth YouTubing?

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:04 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
They also blew a lead against Columbus the first time he went down.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

Yeah, I was also thinking that after their REALLY fast start (thanks, Lashoff!!), once the Wings pulled ahead it just seemed like the Canucks lost the will to compete. Bobbie Lu doesn't appear to be a very mentally tough goalie, and their team follows suit.

I will say that as much as I don't like aspects about their team, their puck possession (when they are into the game) is really something to watch when the Sedin line is on the ice. Reminds me of the Wings back when they could do that.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:49 AM
JPE123

I really liked both kindl and ericcson last night. Smith is also really maturing. Kronner had a tough night again. Pavs is just in beast mode and z was good. Miller stepped up to his role on top 6 line. Lots to like last nite

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Harnessed in Slums

1. Pavs
2. Z
3. Jimmeh

Where my Jimmy Howard haters at?

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
1. Pavs
2. Z
3. Jimmeh

Where my Jimmy Howard haters at?
Haters? Or just "not worth $5M for 6-7 years"-ers? Cause there's quite a few of us here.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Haters? Or just "not worth $5M for 6-7 years"-ers? Cause there's quite a few of us here.
More along the lines of the 'we need a better goalie thread'.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:35 PM
SoupGuru

How is it possible to score two goals in the game, play in the tough areas with an injured foot, only to get **** on by supposed fans of your team?

For God's sake, Gator had a fantastic game.

SoupGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
How is it possible to score two goals in the game, play in the tough areas with an injured foot, only to get **** on by supposed fans of your team?

I think some people are deathly afraid of having to be wrong. I don't think Abdelkader is very good nor do I think he should ever play on a top line. But if he scores 2 goals off of body parts and helps the team win, I'm excited.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:

I think it's because we aren't true Red Wings fans. And probably not true hockey fans either, as we are clearly unable to appreciate the subtle nuances that make Abby a one of a kind talent not just on this team, but in the league. I used to think that Schilling had the bloody sock heroics down pat, but I stand corrected now.

Well, that... or he just sucks being anywhere above a 4th liner. Hooray for skating to the front of the net (something that over half of the league's forwards routinely do) and being the human version of the backboard in Pavel's driveway as he banked in a few shots. And he threw a few checks, which was nice to see- kinda thought he forgot how to do that.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
I think some people are deathly afraid of having to be wrong.
No reason to be scared of being wrong on this one.

Quote:
I don't think Abdelkader is very good nor do I think he should ever play on a top line.
And that's why.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
No reason to be scared of being wrong on this one.

And that's why.
There's also no reason to be condescending and make a mockery when Abdelkader actually does do something positive. People act like if Abdelkader scores a few goals it'll make Holland or Babcock leave him there forever. Which is extremely irrational.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
There's also no reason to be condescending and make a mockery when Abdelkader actually does do something positive. People act like if Abdelkader scores a few goals it'll make Holland or Babcock leave him there forever. Which is extremely irrational.
You say that's irrational thinking. I'd like to think that's irrational thinking. But many of Babs lineup decisions, and Holland's roster decisions, have come across as being less than rational lately...

Cleary and Abs loitered in the top 6 far longer than most of us thought was possible given their incredible lack of production. Is it possible that Kenny and Babs don't want to appear to be wrong, so any offensive output from those 2, no matter how little (and it's little) and how rare (funny-Adam-Sandler-movie rare), was used as reasoning to keep them on scoring lines?

Old
03-17-2013, 02:58 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
I voted Abdelkader third star...

And I'm pretty vocal about how stupid that pairing is.

One good game with a couple fluke goals doesn't change my mind.

I think just having Franzen as a $4M decoy gives defensemen something else on the ice they have to respect.
Just imagine if you had Tatar on right wing instead of Abs.

Last edited by RedWingsNow*: 03-17-2013 at 05:04 PM.
RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
SoupGuru

Quote:
I think it's because we aren't true Red Wings fans. And probably not true hockey fans either, as we are clearly unable to appreciate the subtle nuances that make Abby a one of a kind talent not just on this team, but in the league. I used to think that Schilling had the bloody sock heroics down pat, but I stand corrected now.

Well, that... or he just sucks being anywhere above a 4th liner. Hooray for skating to the front of the net (something that over half of the league's forwards routinely do) and being the human version of the backboard in Pavel's driveway as he banked in a few shots. And he threw a few checks, which was nice to see- kinda thought he forgot how to do that.
So he deserves zero credit for the game he put together?

SoupGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
So he deserves zero credit for the game he put together?
No, he deserves credit for being willing to use his strength to go to the net. He finally played a physical game and actually knocked a few guys down (I was probably happier to see that than the human backboard goals he scored). I don't mind that he scored, but I do hope that Kenny and Babs don't look at the scoresheet from that one game and think that's any sort of justification to have him in the future plans as being an offensive player.

I just think he's got the hands and hockey IQ of a 4th liner, so he can't go back down the lineup fast enough for my liking. Just hoping that he consistently plays with the physical edge he showed last night, b/c he seems to have lost that agitator ability that he used do show.