HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky Signs 2-year Extension ($4.75M/year + NMC)

Old
03-17-2013, 09:24 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
resign nabby and viz by trade deadline. otherwise deal them all (dont set the prices too high either). seems like the obvious move.
How is that obvious?

We are fighting for a playoff spot!

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
IMO Nabby's done. He's not even half the player he was with the Sharks. besides if Thomas does return to action we have a solid #1

Not a fan of Boyes. JT and Matty need a true playmaker.

I seriously doubt Viz stays. especially with his kid's health issues

I'd keep Streit though

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Amorican

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
IMO Nabby's done. He's not even half the player he was with the Sharks. besides if Thomas does return to action we have a solid #1

Not a fan of Boyes. JT and Matty need a true playmaker.

I seriously doubt Viz stays. especially with his kid's health issues

I'd keep Streit though

Nabokov is an NHL goalie. You keep him if you can. 1 year or 2 year, no brainer.

Boyes comes down to numbers, and I don't mean salary. You have players NHL ready next year. These are basically 2nd/3rd line players. There is no true 1st line winger to go with JT/Moulson at this point.

If you re-sign Boyes, that's a roster spot for an NHL ready player. Let's face it, Nino WOULD produce next to JT.

Amorican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:40 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
I would be ecstatic if Garth resigned Nabby and Vis, and even Streit. Vis has played great since he has got here, Nabby has been overworked this year and it's showing, but he still has some left in the tank. The Isles need a true backup goaltender so Nabby can get the rest he needs at this point in his career.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Yeah, **** all the fans that were upset that the guy we traded for wouldn't report.

Ummm, what???
Haters gonna hate. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:28 PM
bvon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorican View Post
Nabokov is an NHL goalie. You keep him if you can. 1 year or 2 year, no brainer.

Boyes comes down to numbers, and I don't mean salary. You have players NHL ready next year. These are basically 2nd/3rd line players. There is no true 1st line winger to go with JT/Moulson at this point.

If you re-sign Boyes, that's a roster spot for an NHL ready player. Let's face it, Nino WOULD produce next to JT.
I'd like to upgrade over Boyes, but I do think he'd be a nice fit as a second line forward if Nino progresses to the point where he can produce on JT's line, and I believe he can.

Also, OT, but awesome avatar! One of my favorite albums and one my favorite bands!

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Can people stop with the Tim Thomas will play here nonsense?

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTintedVisor View Post
Can people stop with the Tim Thomas will play here nonsense?
I'll give 3:1 odds he does.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Jester9881

I don't think Nino would work out well on that top line.... not unless he's replacing Matt Moulson.

I don't get why everyone is in such a rush to get rid of some players. The people that want to get rid of, or demote Boyes..... I hope you weren't the same crowd that killed Snow for not re-signing PaP. Don't know if you've noticed..... but we have one of the best top lines in the NHL.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I don't think Nino would work out well on that top line.... not unless he's replacing Matt Moulson.

I don't get why everyone is in such a rush to get rid of some players. The people that want to get rid of, or demote Boyes..... I hope you weren't the same crowd that killed Snow for not re-signing PaP. Don't know if you've noticed..... but we have one of the best top lines in the NHL.
You know newer is better ALWAYS
Newer prospect, new FA, new guy we traded for...always!

Little by little with the maturation of JT, Hammy and Moulson (with his skill set in-front of and around the net), folks have a little less to complain about around here, so they must get rid of guys that have only been around for 25 games or so. Best top line doesn't mean anything (ever to these people) its never good enough. Oh well.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:38 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTintedVisor View Post
How is that obvious?

We are fighting for a playoff spot!
as long as marty reasoner has a spot on our (healthy) roster we arent gonna get all that far. Might as well build a better franchise for 2013/14. sell while they still have value.

edit: i do wanna resign vis and nabby. But if they dont have a contract by the trade deadline then...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:48 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post

-23 combined for a first line is far shy from "best top lines" in the NHL. Can they score? Sure. Can they play the two way game? Heck no.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Islanderfan17

Don't understand anyone who thinks Nabby hasn't done a good job, you guys would cringe at our record without this guy. I would argue that he has been more important than even JT this season.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:31 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbren92 View Post
I really don't think thats it. Long Island is a great place to live. Look at Martinek who kept his house here even when he wasn't with us
THis is the third time I've heard this. You folks are reading WAY too much into Martinek keeping his house here. It's not definitely because he wants to "retire" on LI. Granted, it's a nice place to live but the back end is that there is no more room to build and houses are at a premium so the value will go up and renting he can make lots of money. So it's not necessarily because he wants to live the rest of his life on LI. That is a gigantic assumption. It's more likely he wants to hold on to the asset and that's it.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:22 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Don't understand anyone who thinks Nabby hasn't done a good job, you guys would cringe at our record without this guy. I would argue that he has been more important than even JT this season.
He is so not a #1 goalie. Our back ups have not won a game and that's Nabby's fault!!!!
Our defense is maybe the best in the league and that explains how he wins games! Nabby must be traded so we get can DP back up here and Poulin more starts.
I swear i have no idea what people are thinking, and saying the UFA market is "flooded" with goalies is a huge oversight. Here they are and there ages...where is this great market for a #1?? Howard stays in Detroit most likely, Backstrom is 35 (whopping 2 years younger then Nabby). The only 2 guys i would want is Bernier or Khuodobin! and even those 2 are somewhat unproven.

Player Pos Team Age Cap Hit Expiry
Backstrom, Niklas » G MIN 35 $6,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Thomas, Tim » G NYI 38 $5,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Khabibulin, Nikolai » G EDM 40 $3,750,000 2013 (UFA)
Nabokov, Evgeni » G NYI 37 $2,750,000 2013 (UFA)
Howard, Jimmy » G DET 28 $2,250,000 2013 (UFA)
Smith, Mike » G PHX 30 $2,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Mason, Chris » G NAS 36 $1,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Theodore, Jose » G FLA 36 $1,500,000 2013 (UFA)
Garon, Mathieu » G TBL 35 $1,300,000 2013 (UFA)
Labarbera, Jason » G PHX 33 $1,250,000 2013 (UFA)
Emery, Ray » G CHI 30 $1,150,000 2013 (UFA)
Budaj, Peter » G MTL 30 $1,150,000 2013 (UFA)
Nilstorp, Cristopher » G DAL 29 $1,000,000 2013 (UFA)
Boucher, Brian » G PHI 36 $950,000 2013 (UFA)
Leighton, Michael » G PHI 31 $900,000 2013 (UFA)
Khudobin, Anton » G BOS 26 $875,000 2013 (UFA)
Karlsson, Henrik » G CHI 29 $862,500 2013 (UFA)
Ellis, Dan » G CAR 32 $800,000 2013 (UFA)
Danis, Yann » G EDM 31 $800,000 2013 (UFA)
McElhinney, Curtis » G CLB 29 $750,000 2013 (UFA)
Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff » G ANA 28 $612,500 2013 (UFA)
Montoya, Al » G WIN 28 $601,000 2013 (UFA)
Johnson, Chad » G PHX 26 $600,000 2013 (UFA)
Lawson, Nathan » G OTT 29 $600,000 2013 (UFA)
Dekanich, Mark » G WIN 26 $600,000 2013 (UFA)
Desjardins, Cedrick » G TBL 27 $600,000 2013 (UFA)
Greiss, Thomas » G SJS 27 $587,500 2013 (UFA)
Grumet-Morris, Dov » G FLA 31 $550,000 2013 (UFA)
Leggio, David » G BUF 28 $550,000 2013 (UFA)
MacDonald, Joey » G CGY 33 $550,000 2013 (UFA)
Pearce, Jordan » G DET 26 $525,000 2013 (UFA)
Richards, Alec » G CHI 25 $525,000 2013 (UFA)
Hutton, Carter » G CHI 27 $525,000 2013 (UFA)
McKenna, Mike » G STL 29 $525,000 2013 (UFA)
Sabourin, Dany » G WAS 32 $525,000 2013 (UFA)
Thiessen, Brad » G PIT 26 $525,000 2013 (UFA)

Last edited by MattMartin: 03-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:14 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
THis is the third time I've heard this. You folks are reading WAY too much into Martinek keeping his house here. It's not definitely because he wants to "retire" on LI. Granted, it's a nice place to live but the back end is that there is no more room to build and houses are at a premium so the value will go up and renting he can make lots of money. So it's not necessarily because he wants to live the rest of his life on LI. That is a gigantic assumption. It's more likely he wants to hold on to the asset and that's it.
Yeah, it's purely an asset thing. I mean the schools being great, the crime low, the comparative beauty, the quiet streets, cultural diversity, amazing food and proximity to the greatest city on earth aside, it's really nothing worthwhile but a real estate venture. I mean look at the taxes and the Buttafuoco's?

Old
03-18-2013, 06:29 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yeah, it's purely an asset thing. I mean the schools being great, the crime low, the comparative beauty, the quiet streets, cultural diversity, amazing food and proximity to the greatest city on earth aside, it's really nothing worthwhile but a real estate venture. I mean look at the taxes and the Buttafuoco's?
Look at the taxes and you get your answer. Quiet streets are slowly disappearing. The middle class can't afford to live there because the taxes are too high and the salaries never caught up with inflation. I think you probably have a golden spoon in your mouth to be talking that way, which is why you may think Radek wants to stay. He can afford it. The point is LI is doing it's best to kick the middle class out so the rich can take care of the poor. What are you a north forker or something lmao!!!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I think Nabby's played well for the isles this season. The times he's been roughed up were when Cappy overworked him, having little trust in his backup.

My only concern is that Nabby will want a multi yr extension. I don't want him getting more then a 1-2 yr deal. Any longer then that, Snow should look elsewhere.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Look at the taxes and you get your answer. Quiet streets are slowly disappearing. The middle class can't afford to live there because the taxes are too high and the salaries never caught up with inflation. I think you probably have a golden spoon in your mouth to be talking that way, which is why you may think Radek wants to stay. He can afford it. The point is LI is doing it's best to kick the middle class out so the rich can take care of the poor. What are you a north forker or something lmao!!!
For the record, he lives in Los Angeles.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
resign nabby and viz by trade deadline. otherwise deal them all (dont set the prices too high either). seems like the obvious move.
A GM working in a 'realistic' manner has determined who of his UFAs he wants to keep and has them signed by the trade deadline. If not, bodies move.

This isn't necessarily how Garth has functioned in recent years - quite the contrary actually.

From the outside looking in, the resigning of each of Nabakov, Streit and Visnovsky would be seen as a good thing.

If Nabby is resigned, then one has to wonder what the Thomas contract ultimately means going forward, especially with Dipi contractually still in the picture and with two young goalies who were supposed to be the promising future in goal (and this season has given little indication of any such thing).

As for Streit and Visnovsky, there's no doubt that each can shoot from the blueline and each has playmaking skills that are accompanied by an ability and tendency to rush the puck, albeit at an average speed.

In general though, neither is close to being a defensive beast and neither is winning many strength-based battles against opponents. In addition, having these two PP beasts hasn't necessarily led to a better PP. Statistically, ours may be the best it's been for years, but a frequently crisp and dangerous man advantage has not been taking place all that often. I thoroughly expected more blueline QBing and well, dominance when these two guys are out there.

Also, having these two in the line-up leaves precious little space for what is really necessary: two or three Seabrook/Carle style Dmen. We know we're moving on with Hamonic and MacDonald going forward. Strait is in the picture. We know that Carkner is contractually hanging around (and looked downright awful in the handful of games he played) and of course, there's Hickey, Finley and Donovan, the latter of which needs to be given a shot at some point. Then of course, one has to see if de Haan can come back and get back into the fray.

Basically, if you ask me, Visnovsky and Streit are simply too one-dimensional and too similar to both be hanging around. I don't know how successful the team can be in the standings over 82 games if it boasts two Dmen with 10-30-40 and -20 stats.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:37 AM
kasper11

Quote:
I think it depends on what the return is. With the Isles fighting for a possible playoff spot, I wouldn't move Vis for a 2nd round pick. But if we could get a 1st and a decent roster player? You have to think about that.

I don't see Nabokov bringing back anything that would make it worthwhile to trade him. Goalie market is saturated, and any contender that traded for him would be doing so purely for insurance. Doubt anyone will give up much just to have a vet backup for the playoffs.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Quote:
In Sweden I have to pay 50%~ of my wage in taxes. Do not talk about taxes, they do not exist in USA.

OnT: To be honest, I think that both Vis and Nabby are going to resign. 1 year for each of them, let our prospects develop one more year in the minors.

Last edited by Wanderson: 03-18-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Strummergas

If this team is fighting for a playoff spot at the deadline, there's simply no way that they can move these players. Even if they don't make the playoffs in the end, at least they would've tried and it would let the guys on the roster know that the organization IS looking for them to take the next step in their development (how the organization helps them take that step in the off season is another debate).

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Basically, if you ask me, Visnovsky and Streit are simply too one-dimensional and too similar to both be hanging around. I don't know how successful the team can be in the standings over 82 games if it boasts two Dmen with 10-30-40 and -20 stats.
I don't agree or disagree. How's that?!

Visnovsky's much better defensively than I thought he would be. Neither Vis or Streit are great defensively though but neither are poor defensively either. Individually, the Isles have an "okay" defense group. But nobody great.

This is a team filled with guys who "don't make us worse" but nobody who "makes us better"

This is a team that CANNOT GET players who make us better - historically, that doesn't happen, especially not under Wang or Snow. This is quite the quagmire!

Funny how many of us were disappointed (myself included) on the Paul Martin and Christian Erhoff non-signings, but those would have been too vastly overpaid players, not much better (if at all) than Streit or Visnovsky, and not likely to make the Isles better. So I don't see how the Isles can let these guys get away, not if they're hoping to improve next year. We cannot realistically expect Donovan/deHaan/Mayfield/Reinhart to step into a defense group WITHOUT Streit/Vis and seriously help this team? That's ridiculous.

So while the Vis/Striet group are somewhat limited, they are far better than the alternative, which is NOTHING (or Wishart/Ness) or rookies.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:53 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

I disagree. Obviously if you have players on two different pairings at -20 you are screwed, but if you pair Vis and Streit each with a solid stay at home dman you would have a solid top-4 (neither should be on a top pair, but the Isles aren't going to be bringing in two legit top pair dmen this offseason).

If we could go into next year with

Vis-Hamonic
Streit-new dman
AMac-Strait

With Carkner as the #7, I think that would be a very solid defense. Of course, we know it is unlikely that the Isles add a good player, but that doesn't mean you get rid of Streit or Visnovsky.

Most likely, if both re-signed, I think we would be looking at:

Vis-Hamonic
Streit-Strait
AMac-Carkner

With Donovan or De Haan coming up with the first injury. I think this d would be ok (not great, but ok) if we could bring in a coach who would get our forwards to help out on D.

Funny thing about our d this year...the top-6 have not played a single game together. Carkner got hurt before Vis came, and Strait went down a few games after.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote