HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Datsyuk is the best 2 way player in the world

Old
03-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Wow, talk about exaggerating things.
That's like your opinion, man. Unless of course you want to offer some actual argument unlike your usual drive by 'he's overrated' posts in every Datsyuk related thread on hf.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Semantics

Datsyuk is right up there with Toews, Malkin, Karlsson, Stamkos. At any given time any of them could be the 2nd best player in the world, it's that close. Amazing player.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
deve

Vancouver Olympic quater-final was last time healthy Crosby and healthy Datsyuk faced each other and was heavily line-matched against each other. They pretty much neutralized each other.
Crosby 0 points and +/- 0 (only canadian line that didn't score in that game)
Datsyuk 0 points and +/- +1 (only russian line that was +/- positive)

deve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
That's like your opinion, man. Unless of course you want to offer some actual argument unlike your usual drive by 'he's overrated' posts in every Datsyuk related thread on hf.
Again. I've posted that in like 2 threads. Datsyuk is excellent defensively, but to use that to prove that he's the best player in the world, I don't buy it.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Again. I've posted that in like 2 threads. Datsyuk is excellent defensively, but to use that to prove that he's the best player in the world, I don't buy it.
If he is excellent defensively then I didn't exaggerate. Don't see why you said I did.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
If he is excellent defensively then I didn't exaggerate. Don't see why you said I did.
Because you said he's MILES ahead of the guy... which he is not. If you haven't noticed, that guy is playing very well defensively too. Case in point, end of the game today... or the game winning goal against the Leafs.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Crosby is a two way player too, and he is unquestionably better than Datsyuk. The conversation for #2 however most certainly begins with Datsyuk, although it doesn't necessarily end with him.
...The phrasing of this post...

If you're saying "Sidney Crosby is a better player than Pavel Datsyuk," yes, and Datsyuk could arguably sit at #2.

If you're saying "Sidney Crosby is a better two-way forward than Pavel Datsyuk," hahahahahahahahahahahahahahano.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:22 PM
deve

BTW it's not fair to campare offensive and deffensive games of players playing for completely different coaches.
You wanna see Crosby offensive numbers on Babcock's system. Look no further than 2010 Olympics. It's way more difficult to rack up points if you are forced to play against opposition 1st lines and on the ice less than 20mins.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM
MFSorcerer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deve View Post
BTW it's not fair to campare offensive and deffensive games of players playing for completely different coaches.
You wanna see Crosby offensive numbers on Babcock's system. Look no further than 2010 Olympics. It's way more difficult to rack up points if you are forced to play against opposition 1st lines and on the ice less than 20mins.

Sid was second on his team for scoring in the Olympics. He has 1min 22 seconds more TOI this season that PD.

You could argue that PD's defensive game would be hurt under the Pens run-and-gun style offensive minded style.

MFSorcerer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Syckle78

I don't want to make excuses, I really don't. But look at Datsyuk's line mates. One, Dan Cleary, is a human failbot who's best skill is randomly falling down. The other, Justin abdelkader, is a human backboard without any discernable skill. The guy has three goals in his last fifty games or so. I've empty netter and two where Datsyuk shot the puck in off his useless body.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Datsyuk plays in the west. Put him in the East without a human backboard on his line and it's not such a big difference. Besides that the player who shall not be named is not a good defensive player. The gap is rather large. Maybe not a mile but at least a couple city blocks.
There is a huge difference between the two, Crosby has played with plenty of terrible line-mates yet his worst ppg season is better than Datsyuks best. And lol at Crosby not being a good defensive player.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Datsyuk is not a first ballot HOF'er stop it.

first of all his first four playoff appearances were absolutely putrid, he was given the label as a playoff choker until he showed improvement in the 07 playoffs. He has been a key player on one cup winning team.

he has 4 amazing years on his resume, and 4 very good years so far, and now maybe a 5th.

Hall of famer? quite possibly, first ballot? no.
Boy, it's a good thing HOF entry isn't solely based on numbers, now isn't it?

Old
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

vCash: 50
People really think Datsyuk is a better 2-way player than Sid?

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
I don't want to make excuses, I really don't. But look at Datsyuk's line mates. One, Dan Cleary, is a human failbot who's best skill is randomly falling down. The other, Justin abdelkader, is a human backboard without any discernable skill. The guy has three goals in his last fifty games or so. I've empty netter and two where Datsyuk shot the puck in off his useless body.
That's probably the worst argument to use right now. Crosby's played with Andy Hilbert, Colby Armstrong, Chris Kunitz, Pascal Dupuis, Mark Recchi and Bill Guerin in his career.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
People really think Datsyuk is a better 2-way player than Sid?
Do you really think Sid would be a lock for the Art Ross if he was playing with Abby/Cleary AND picking up after their mistakes?

Old
03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
That's probably the worst argument to use right now. Crosby's played with Andy Hilbert, Colby Armstrong, Chris Kunitz, Pascal Dupuis, Mark Recchi and Bill Guerin in his career.
What does that have to do with this year and the point disparity? Sorry I guess I should of thrown in hauling around a broken down bertuzzi and holmstrom for no reason?

Old
03-17-2013, 03:37 PM
DanZ

Quote:
I don't think you understand how useless Justin Abdelkader is... all of those players are better linemates than him

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:41 PM
MFSorcerer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Do you really think Sid would be a lock for the Art Ross if he was playing with Abby/Cleary AND picking up after their mistakes?

Because PD has racked up so many Art Ross trophies in the past when he had better linemates...

MFSorcerer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:42 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Crosby has played with sub par regular line mates his entire career apart from the 3 months with Hossa and this years iteration of Chris Kunitz

The whole 'best two way forward' thing is such a wierd saying. Crosby is a 2-way forward, and he's a better forward than Datsyuk, so yes, I would say my interpretation of it says Crosby is the best 2-way forward in the game. Some people seem to confuse 2-way forward with 'who has the best defensive game that can also score a minimum number of points, as if once you score a certain amount, offense is no longer wieghted into the 2-way forward claim. If the question is, who's better at defence? I'd agree, that'd go to the guy who has won 3 Selkes.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:46 PM
deve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFSorcerer View Post
Sid was second on his team for scoring in the Olympics.
he was among 4 teammates who had 7 points and 1p behind Toews. So it's clear to me that he didn't put anything incredible like he does under Bylsma's system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFSorcerer View Post
He has 1min 22 seconds more TOI this season that PD.
and this difference is PP time.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:49 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
he was among 4 teammates who had 7 points and 1p behind Toews. So it's clear to me that he didn't put anything incredible like he does under Bylsma's system.

You do realize you're basing this on a 7 game tournament, right?

But geesh, Crosby would be lucky to score 25 points a season playing for Detroit Inguess, since he'd be playing under the offensively oppressive Babcock and big bad West...

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:

You know that Crosby has played under other coaches right and produced under all of them? Also PP time, lol, Crosby leads the league in ES points.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post

But geesh, Crosby would be lucky to score 25 points a season playing for Detroit Inguess, since he'd be playing under the offensively oppressive Babcock and big bad West...
Why resort to juvenile exaggerations? No one is saying Crosby wouldn't lead the league in response were reversed. Just that the gap between the two wouldn't be as large, sheesh.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
You really think there is a way to overrate Datsyuk?
No of course not, you can not possibly overrate Pavel Datsyuk. It's not metaphysically possible. He's a pink flashy unicorn flying around in a parallel universe immune to all scrutiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
"look at the way he looks at the play from the bench... like an eagle"....
Oh man that's a good one...

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:59 PM
deve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post

Well this is only sample of Crosby playing under Babcock's system.
Detroit system is not oppressive to offense but it's very different from vertical Bylsma's hockey. And yes west teams are more defense oriented.