HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price doesn't steal games

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
icerocket

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
I thought it was obvious that it was sarcastic. My point was that anytime Price had competition for the #1 spot, he lost it so what did the habs do ..they went and got two players (Auld and Budaj) who would never challenge Price.
Oh come on. It doesn't make any sense to have two #1 goalies. Price is clearly capable of being a starter so the team only needs a backup.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Oh come on. It doesn't make any sense to have two #1 goalies. Price is clearly capable of being a starter so the team only needs a backup.
My post is in reference to the original poster who said that Price has earned everything and did it with positive attitude.

E=ch squared posted interesting facts about Price's career and then I just wanted to add that Price actually did NOT win the #1 job in Montreal. Huet beat him to it and then Halak beat him to it. Both were then shipped out to "force" Price to be the #1 spot. Habs management went and got Auld ..a player who THEY were scared to put in front of the net.

I agree that Price is a starter but I hope you get my point. If you want to argue about who we should of got then that's another debate all together ..at that point, I will happily point out that we should of got someone who wouldn't make us cringe everytime he's in nets ... Biron for example or somebody of similar value (not necessarly Quebecois).

Old
03-17-2013, 04:46 PM
icerocket

Quote:
My post is in reference to the original poster who said that Price has earned everything and did it with positive attitude.

E=ch squared posted interesting facts about Price's career and then I just wanted to add that Price actually did NOT win the #1 job in Montreal. Huet beat him to it and then Halak beat him to it. Both were then shipped out to "force" Price to be the #1 spot. Habs management went and got Auld ..a player who THEY were scared to put in front of the net.

I agree that Price is a starter but I hope you get my point. If you want to argue about who we should of got then that's another debate all together ..at that point, I will happily point out that we should of got someone who wouldn't make us cringe everytime he's in nets ... Biron for example or somebody of similar value (not necessarly Quebecois).
Auld did a decent job and so is Budaj currently. So what's the problem?

Old
03-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Auld did a decent job and so is Budaj currently. So what's the problem?
Well like I said, I was just pointing out the fact that Price never did actually win the #1 job in Montreal. He was handed the #1 spot on three occasions. The first time, he lost to Huet, the second time he lost to Halak and the third time, they went and got someone who wouldn't compete with him.

For choice of backups, yes I would say they did a decent job but we had opportunities to get a much better backup and I sincerely believe Habs mangement didn't want to get anybody who would even put doubt into people's mind who the #1 is in Montreal. For example, they would be scared to sign Biron since if he goes on a winning streak, the fans would demand Biron to start.

I think it's wrong to manage a team in that way ..where you have absolutely no internal competition. Another poster pointed in this thread that we have nothing in Hamilton and nothing in our depth chart regarding goal tending. If Price were to go down, we are done and I agree with him. Why are we in this "fear" of getting people of quality in that position? Although this was all with the old management and maybe the new management will change things.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
hersky77

Quote:
Well like I said, I was just pointing out the fact that Price never did actually win the #1 job in Montreal. He was handed the #1 spot on three occasions. The first time, he lost to Huet, the second time he lost to Halak and the third time, they went and got someone who wouldn't compete with him.

For choice of backups, yes I would say they did a decent job but we had opportunities to get a much better backup and I sincerely believe Habs mangement didn't want to get anybody who would even put doubt into people's mind who the #1 is in Montreal. For example, they would be scared to sign Biron since if he goes on a winning streak, the fans would demand Biron to start.

I think it's wrong to manage a team in that way ..where you have absolutely no internal competition. Another poster pointed in this thread that we have nothing in Hamilton and nothing in our depth chart regarding goal tending. If Price were to go down, we are done and I agree with him. Why are we in this "fear" of getting people of quality in that position? Although this was all with the old management and maybe the new management will change things.
You're argument becomes moot right there, Price actually stole the job from Huet so you're argument looses all validity right there.

What in the world does this guy have to do, He has won 15 games the most in the nhl, 4th in shutouts, yes his gaa and sv% might not be that high because of 3 bad games, but he keeps on winning and that is all that matters in the sport of hockey.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Convince people...

But what do YOU think? Not clueless analysts from outside Montreal, but YOU. Has Price been dominant THIS season ? Is he the main reason we're #1 in the east ?
Clueless because they don't agree with you? I would take the opinion Kevin Weekes analysis over some anonymous poster with an ax to grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The only thing Price hasn't proven is he hasn't had much playoff success in the NHL, which honestly isn't shocking given the way this team has been run. In the meantime he's

Won at every level below, he's been put in the frying pan at an age most goalies are still in junior, he's played 60+ game seasons and put up numbers that put him in the top 10, he's dealt with cold streaks, lineup changes, being run endlessly, expected to carry the team to squeaker victories with the slimmest of leads (JM's specialty.) He's had to compete for the starting job at the very highest level when Halak was here, and then he's been expected to carry the team pretty much by himself with guys like Auld and Budaj behind him. (No knock on Budaj, but he's not exactly competing for the #1 job here, credit to Price.) Through it all he's shown nothing but a positive attitude and a stellar work ethic.

What the hell more can you ask of a young goaltender. He's barely at the age most guys establish themselves in the NHL and we're all saying he's unproven... he's just entering his prime. With new management it looks like he may well get some decent chances to show what he can do in the playoffs. In the meantime, jees, in my book they guy's actually accomplished quite a lot. Seems to give the team a chance to win pretty much every night this year.
Trust me it will never be enough. The Price haters are ideologues. Price represents the frustrations everyone experiences in their own futile existence. There is so much envy, jealousy in the statements, see below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Given the #1 spot in the AHL for the Calder Cup run over Halak who had been top goalie in the AHL during that season.

Given the #1 spot after 20-30 games at the NHL level.

Given the #1 spot time and time again. Coaching staff kept going back to Price that year Halak was amazing to the point where Halak and Price both played half the season.

And how quickly we forget the staring at the D, everyone talking about Price's bad work ethic early on, his arms raised in the arm a la Roy, the cigarettes, partying, etc.

All of this is behind us, and he's matured and that's all good. But you are re-writing history here. The bolded part didn't happen, it's just blatant fabrication.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
You're argument becomes moot right there, Price actually stole the job from Huet so you're argument looses all validity right there.

What in the world does this guy have to do, He has won 15 games the most in the nhl, 4th in shutouts, yes his gaa and sv% might not be that high because of 3 bad games, but he keeps on winning and that is all that matters in the sport of hockey.
you mean when they traded huet at the deadline and went with price/halak?

he didn't steal it, it was handed to him.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post

Yes Huet started more games than Price in 2007-2008 and then Gainey trades him for a 2nd rounder at the deadline ...incredible stuff! Who trades their #1A or #1B goalie at the deadline for a 2nd round pick when you are trying to make a run at the playoffs.... incredible stuff.

His team keeps winning and he's part of the team. We are asking for consistency and domination. We are asking for him to be what most fans here call a top 5 goalie in the league.

Like I said, I'm not a hater. I think Price is a GOOD goalie but he's not great. He's a top 15 goalie in the league but again that's good, not great?

What does he have to do? Steal some games when the team is not playing well (like yesterday), stop giving up bad goals (like he has for few weeks now) and STEP UP in the playoffs (we'll see this year).

Old
03-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Yes Huet started more games than Price in 2007-2008 and then Gainey trades him for a 2nd rounder at the deadline ...incredible stuff! Who trades their #1A or #1B goalie at the deadline for a 2nd round pick when you are trying to make a run at the playoffs.... incredible stuff.

His team keeps winning and he's part of the team. We are asking for consistency and domination. We are asking for him to be what most fans here call a top 5 goalie in the league.

Like I said, I'm not a hater. I think Price is a GOOD goalie but he's not great. He's a top 15 goalie in the league but again that's good, not great?

What does he have to do? Steal some games when the team is not playing well (like yesterday), stop giving up bad goals (like he has for few weeks now) and STEP UP in the playoffs (we'll see this year).
and it was the same year price played like **** in the playoffs, and so did halak against philly. it would have been nice to have a veteran in huet.

halak is the only guy here who worked for anything, and I still remember after halak carried the team, when huet went down, into playoff contention-- only to play huet against the leafs and lose.

halak consistently got treated like a 2nd class citizen no matter how he played.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
and it was the same year price played like **** in the playoffs, and so did halak against philly. it would have been nice to have a veteran in huet.

halak is the only guy here who worked for anything, and I still remember after halak carried the team when huet went down into playoff contention only to play huet against the leafs to lose.

halak consistently got treated like a 2nd class citizen no matter how he played.
Don't forget Halak being the BEST goalie in the AHL ..Gainey signs Price to ELC and makes him start in the AHL playoffs instead of Halak.

You don't do that to a player who was leading his team the entire year.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
TalkingHead

Quote:
Don't forget Halak being the BEST goalie in the AHL ..Gainey signs Price to ELC and makes him start in the AHL playoffs instead of Halak.

You don't do that to a player who was leading his team the entire year.
Halak wasn't the best goalie in the AHL that year, LaBarbera was better.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post

halak is the only guy here who worked for anything, and I still remember after halak carried the team, when huet went down, into playoff contention-- only to play huet against the leafs and lose.

And now he's backup again to another rookie. When will the injustice end...

Old
03-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Yes take a shot at Halak ..

This debate is not Price vs Halak. This debate is about Price's career and goal tending ability today and lately an internal debate is how Price was handed the #1 job and never won it.

Arguments like Price is doing better than Halak now

or

Rinne sucks so Price is worth 6.5 M $ this year

are not valid arguments.

Go tell your employer "well i'm not doing as bad as that guy that is working in the corner so compared to him, i'm incredible, give me a raise"

Old
03-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Pura Vida

Quote:

This debate is not Price vs Halak. This debate is about Price's career and goal tending ability today and lately an internal debate is how Price was handed the #1 job and never won it.

or

are not valid arguments.

Go tell your employer "well i'm not doing as bad as that guy that is working in the corner so compared to him, i'm incredible, give me a raise"
Just out of curiosity... Which goalies would you take as the habs number 1 over price including contract age and past success? This isn't meant to be condesending, I'm legitimately curious.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Just out of curiosity... Which goalies would you take as the habs number 1 over price including contract age and past success? This isn't meant to be condesending, I'm legitimately curious.
Your talking about today?

Old
03-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Nedved

Quote:
halak doesn't deserve to start...he's struggling in st. louis, and even elliot has looked better. that doesn't take away what halak did here.

halak needs to earn it and, when he gets a chance, hopefully he plays up to par but he's been **** this year, and last. is he done? maybe, maybe not.

looking at halak's stats, he wasn't even terrible last year, just that elliot was better.

And it looks like bernier has stolen quick's job, even though they won the cup. these are teams who go with who's playing best, not who has the potential to play better.

Last edited by Nedved: 03-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Pura Vida

Quote:
Your talking about today?
Yah today onwards including contracts past success and so on. There are some obvious candidates like lunqvist. I'm just curious who is on your list

Old
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
PricePkPatch*

I will just link this post from the GDT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727
its revenge weekend in Boston, and they are on the warpath... They are also very determined and were exceptionally crisp today. pittsburgh is going to get freight trained tommorrow. you have been warned!!!!
BUSTED

Old
03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:

or

are not valid arguments.

I was just seconding how Halak is still 'treated like a 2nd class citizen' aka backup.

In terms of being 'handed' starting job, this is the case for most goalies. Huet was 'handed' the starting job when Theodore was traded just like Price was 'handed' the starting job when Huet was traded.

Keeping both would have resulted in the mess the Nucks are currently facing. Habs decided to go with the 23 year old big positional goalie over the 25 year old small reflex goalie when both were up for re-sign. Being shortsighted in such a decision would be deadly. Nucks will keep Schneider over Luongo despite Luongo being better now.

Price gave up 7 and 6 goals in a couple games. This would kill any goalie's 'stats'. With the shortened season, any good or bad game will heavily skew stats. For example, a 35 save shutout next game would inflate his save% to .918. He has had an bad stretch after being lights out for the first 3/4 of the season, no denying that. But before questioning his entire career, how about giving him a chance to bounce back?

Old
03-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
I was just seconding how Halak is still 'treated like a 2nd class citizen' aka backup.

In terms of being 'handed' starting job, this is the case for most goalies. Huet was 'handed' the starting job when Theodore was traded just like Price was 'handed' the starting job when Huet was traded.

Keeping both would have resulted in the mess the Nucks are currently facing. Habs decided to go with the 23 year old big positional goalie over the 25 year old small reflex goalie when both were up for re-sign. Being shortsighted in such a decision would be deadly. Nucks will keep Schneider over Luongo despite Luongo being better now.

Price gave up 7 and 6 goals in a couple games. This would kill any goalie's 'stats'. With the shortened season, any good or bad game will heavily skew stats. For example, a 35 save shutout next game would inflate his save% to .918. He has had an bad stretch after being lights out for the first 3/4 of the season, no denying that. But before questioning his entire career, how about giving him a chance to bounce back?
Huet beat Theodore to the job. He didn't get it handed. Theodore was so bad but management kept trying to get him going until Julien is like screw it, I need to go with Huet to have a chance at the playoffs. Gainey then fired him and said Theodore is starting (even though Huet was already slated to start). Theodore didn't do well that even Gainey was forced to go back to Huet.

Huet did win the job. Don't get it wrong.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Traitor8

Quote:

Another thing, where did we question his career?

I've consistently said he's good but not great.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

or

are not valid arguments.

This isn't a normal job. The organization takes into consideration much more than current performance when deciding long term. Tons and tons of young players will get ice-time handed to them when the organization thinks it's a good long-term decision.

People getting hotheaded over this issue must have a huge problem letting some things go.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:54 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Clueless because they don't agree with you?
Because they don't watch every game and like to go with the flow, or against the flow if they want to be controversial. A lot of them don't say what they truly think and many of them have an agenda.

Quote:
I would take the opinion Kevin Weekes analysis over some anonymous poster with an ax to grind.
Good for you.

Quote:
Trust me it will never be enough. The Price haters are ideologues. Price represents the frustrations everyone experiences in their own futile existence. There is so much envy, jealousy in the statements, see below....
I was merely correcting another poster who was making **** up.

Holy crap, you people...

Old
03-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Muminek

FFS people

Old
03-17-2013, 06:05 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminek View Post