HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Bruins Round II - FIGHT

Old
03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
sexyllama

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmxHockey View Post
Dude didn't have one bad play in all ends of the ice! Solid.
Yeah, Martin has been above average to incredible on the defensive side of things. His line to the defender and removing/freezing the puck holder has been fun to watch.

If this team commits to the Defensive zone like this in the Playoffs then we might have a chance.

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
fragmag

What a game!

+ the first line was amazing, always had them on their heels
+ the 4th line looked pretty damn good today
+ Vitale, finally!!!
+ Vokoun, great job out there, he kept the puck in front of him all day

And a special +++ for the defense. Consistently handled the B's forecheck and kept the puck moving out of our zone. All this with 5 D, no Depres and no Letang. Hell of a job.

No -'s for this game from me. Yeah there is a lot I could nit pick, but this was such a solid effort against one of the best teams in the NHL. And they did it without Geno.

Can't wait for the Caps Tuesday.

fragmag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
plaidchuck

Missed the game, just checked the highlights.

+Our lord and saviour Joe Vitale
+Vokoun
+their luck on that wraparound attempt

-injuries starting to chip away at the lineup

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:32 PM
pensfansince88

+vokoun (lots of credit goes to the defense but he still played great. restored my faith in him a bit)
+defense (they have been so good lately. not sure what changed but i like it)
+1st line (they seem to be on the same page nearly every shift)
+martin (amazing how good he has been this season. i think i should retire my avatar with something else)

-letang hurt again. i hope it's something minor
-2nd line. it's amazing how important geno is for neal to be visible. at least neal is awesome when we have geno though.

pensfansince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Hah -- we should ask CV. I think the good Chancellor has been working on the algorithm himself.

Sooon.... very soon.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Jacob

I think we can establish that Mark Eaton is back in game shape, however, it seemed like every good shift the Bruins had was when he was on the ice. His lack of foot speed makes those 50/50 pucks in the corners seem more like 10/90 pucks.

Not thrilled with Adams' inability to win battles along the boards in the D-zone either. He can't even seem to get pucks up and out when he has time and space, let alone under pressure.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:56 PM
bathroomSTAAL
Tylenol and beer

Vokoun definitely stepped it up today but he still makes me nervous as ****. He's just so slow to recover. There was that point shot that he went down on about 5 seconds too early, and then we had to hold our breath while he scrambled to get back up.

And say what you want about Fleury, but that wraparound attempt probably hits the middle of his pad rather than skidding 6 feet down the goal line. He moves side to side so well.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:57 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I think we can establish that Mark Eaton is back in game shape, however, it seemed like every good shift the Bruins had was when he was on the ice. His lack of foot speed makes those 50/50 pucks in the corners seem more like 10/90 pucks.

Not thrilled with Adams' inability to win battles along the boards in the D-zone either. He can't even seem to get pucks up and out when he has time and space, let alone under pressure.
He's so slow that Dupuis scored 25 goals without Crosby in the time it took him to get to a loose puck in the corner in the 2nd period.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:59 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

+ kunitz

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:04 PM
bathroomSTAAL
Tylenol and beer

+ 1st in the East, 2nd in the league in goal differential, 1st in the league in regulation/OT wins

We are a spoiled bunch of sons of *****es.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
SteelPenguin
#LetsGoPens

Great win against the Bruins!

+ Vokoun, lot of good saves.
+ Sid 1+0.
+ 1st line. What a dominating!
+ Martin. He has been amazing.
+ Joe Victory.
+ Our defense.
+ 9 in a row!

- Letang's injury.
- Marchand
- Boring game

SteelPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Jacob

Just noticed Martin played over 30 minutes and was a +2. Nice.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This is my main problem with Adams as well. I don't care about his lack of offense at all. This season, I've seen far too many times where Adams has the puck on his stick either in the center of the ice or on the wall in the defensive zone, and he just fails to get it past the blue line. It's happened more than a few times on the PK as well, and that should be his bread and butter.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:11 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

Gill & Scuderi didn't win a lot foot races on the boards either. The truth is if the other team has the puck they have the advantage. They have the positioning & they know where they are going with it.

We need guys like Eaton & Adams to collapse around the net, know their zones, & block shots. I don't care how long the Bruins had the puck in our zone. A couple years ago in the playoffs against the Habs we had the puck the vast majority of those games & lost.

Puck possession doesn't always equal scoring.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Terrapin

+ Very good effort all around. Despite both teams seeming a bit sluggish (after back to back), we did what we needed to against a great team.

+ Sid, TV, Martin, Vitale. Almost everyone played well.

- Eaton. Wasn't terrible, but looked his age today. A step slow.

- Letang's injury. I will not get into a heated argument again about this like last night. All I'll say is this, Jags, a few others and I argued at length about this teams lack of response to cheap shots, questionable hits, etc, and how it may lead to future injuries to our stars. Not 14 hours later, Letang is injured by a cheap ass slash. Sid takes an elbow to the face off a faceoff. Neal gets punched by Lucic. Nothing. I'm not calling to have Big Mac flown in for the 2nd period of todays game. Not calling for someone to sucker punch Marchard. But at the very very least, the rest of todays game should have been very difficult on him. It wasn't. Nobody even breathed on him.

I agree, getting 2 pts against these guys was big. Engo couldn't have done much even if he wanted to since we were down to 5 D. But where was Glass, Cooke, Adams, etc? Not even one hit on that dude? Gimme a break.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
+ Very good effort all around. Despite both teams seeming a bit sluggish (after back to back), we did what we needed to against a great team.

+ Sid, TV, Martin, Vitale. Almost everyone played well.

- Eaton. Wasn't terrible, but looked his age today. A step slow.

- Letang's injury. I will not get into a heated argument again about this like last night. All I'll say is this, Jags, a few others and I argued at length about this teams lack of response to cheap shots, questionable hits, etc, and how it may lead to future injuries to our stars. Not 14 hours later, Letang is injured by a cheap ass slash. Sid takes an elbow to the face off a faceoff. Neal gets punched by Lucic. Nothing. I'm not calling to have Big Mac flown in for the 2nd period of todays game. Not calling for someone to sucker punch Marchard. But at the very very least, the rest of todays game should have been very difficult on him. It wasn't. Nobody even breathed on him.

I agree, getting 2 pts against these guys was big. Engo couldn't have done much even if he wanted to since we were down to 5 D. But where was Glass, Cooke, Adams, etc? Not even one hit on that dude? Gimme a break.
I don't even think Letang got injured due to something Marchand did... it's not a hand/wrist injury, and it's not a skate cut, nothing Marchand did caused this...?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Gill & Scuderi didn't win a lot foot races on the boards either. The truth is if the other team has the puck they have the advantage. They have the positioning & they know where they are going with it.

We need guys like Eaton & Adams to collapse around the net, know their zones, & block shots. I don't care how long the Bruins had the puck in our zone. A couple years ago in the playoffs against the Habs we had the puck the vast majority of those games & lost.

Puck possession doesn't always equal scoring.
Well I basically disagree with everything you said.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Love that we are winning games 2-1 and 3-2 and 2-0, and more importantly, I love that we are beating teams that are pushing back. It used to be we'd either rout the other team or they'd push back just a little and we'd fold up. Now we're fighting and coming out on top; THAT'S exactly what you need a team to get used to going into the playoffs.

... But you know, the big game win streak with about 20 games to go in the season... seems a little familiar. Is this where Bylsma stops coaching defensive play and just tries to shinny hockey a Cup, because it'll work as well as it did last year? No peaking and getting complacent.

I tell you though, with a little bit of work Sutter could be a better offensive player. Dude has some nifty moves when he gets loose.

Last edited by Jill Sandwich: 03-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Great effort from everyone tonight. Kennedy was pretty good, Glass almost had a scoring chance I think.

Nice to TV with a solid start. Dupuis couldn't handle the puck tonight, but made a nice pass on the first goal.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
Great effort from everyone tonight. Kennedy was pretty good, Glass almost had a scoring chance I think.

Nice to TV with a solid start. Dupuis couldn't handle the puck tonight, but made a nice pass on the first goal.
He actually made sure Vitale's goal was really in the net.

Frederick Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:17 PM
plaidchuck

Well one things for sure if the caps can't even be competitive the next game against the Pens having these injuries, I will then consider them to be truly pathetic this year.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:52 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengu View Post
Great win against the Bruins!

- Boring game
Boring game?!?! I thought it was a good playoff atmosphere. Really good game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Well one things for sure if the caps can't even be competitive the next game against the Pens having these injuries, I will then consider them to be truly pathetic this year.
This is the NHL. No game is easy. Teams can sometimes disappear (see New York Rangers game), but the Caps will be looking to take us out. We have a target on us until our streak is beat. Look at Chicago. Teams were playing them (Columbus even) like they were playing for a Cup. It was great. Same will go for us.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

The question is, is there any pride in that lockeroom? Given who the leadership is, it's a tough call. They could come out angry and ready to play or they could get steam rolled. I'd say NY is more likely to play us tough during a slump than Washington.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:06 PM
titaniumexpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
- I know this isn't the first game this year that it's appeared, but get rid of the schmuck with the airhorn in the stands. This is not D.C., and we are not the Caps. Please and thank you.
This times 1000. Nerve wracking 3rd period . Hate NBC games but the ability to dvr the game and fast forward through the "analysis..." is a huge +.

titaniumexpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:14 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Well I basically disagree with everything you said.
It's alright to be wrong sometimes.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote