HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 07:02 AM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
I dont understand why there arent more Staz talks. Hes good when he has wingers, but unless you plan on making him a winger...hes stuck with Jones or some other mediocre players.

I know everyone thinks that the FO is waiting to see if ROR produces and if he does Staz might be traded, if ROR doesnt, HE will be traded next deadline...
It's not just that. Keeping Stastny gives you better leverage in trying to extend O'Reilly's contract at a decent price, and vice versa. If we trade either one of these guys before having an extension already in place with the other, then we are setting ourselves up to get bent over a barrel again and having to pay even more to keep the other one.

Also having the three strong centers can help make all our other forwards look like stronger trading pieces. OK, it's not working so great at the moment. But you could argue that Palushaj, Mitchell, McGinn, etc. all look way better now than when we acquired them, and some portion of that is likely attributable to our center depth. When we want to make trades, that gives us more bargaining power, because we can sell guys for more than we acquired them for.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Valanche

Hunwick & Jones traded.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Actually think Mitchell & Kobasew should stick around. McLeod I'm pretty much over.. Kobasew is a perfect 4th line winger, and Mitchell is effective in just about any role in the bottom six. Pj's drives me nuts lol, how is this kid not injured yet?

I will say this... That roster would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch. I really hate seeing any of Zannon, O'Byrne or Hunwick on the ice at any time while watching games.

At least with Elliott, and any other young guys you know their learning and developing.
What, why? He's a perfect 4th liner, and he's almost becoming one of those career Avalanche types. He'll never command that much money, everyone loves him, he's good defensively, and underrated on the PK. Provides a lot of energy and emotion. Chips in goals and points. Skates well, hits and fights everyone. You're not going to find a better 4th liner in his role.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:50 AM
tucker3434

I'd love to see a big trade that addresses these gaping holes in our lineup but I don't see it happening at the deadline. Stastny will stick around until oreillys future is locked up. Most of the other guys of value won't be moved. The biggest thing I could see would be Elliot/Barrie + for something. We could have a fire sale on depth players but most of those guys would bring a 3rd rounder at best.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
What, why? He's a perfect 4th liner, and he's almost becoming one of those career Avalanche types. He'll never command that much money, everyone loves him, he's good defensively, and underrated on the PK. Provides a lot of energy and emotion. Chips in goals and points. Skates well, hits and fights everyone. You're not going to find a better 4th liner in his role.
Agreed wholeheartedly, people take guys like him for granted when in reality they aren't that easy to replace.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly, people take guys like him for granted when in reality they aren't that easy to replace.
I disagree. McLeod can bring energy, but I've seen so many times where the play just dies when he gets the puck and does something stupid with it. He is very bad at receiving a pass as well.
I think we should trade him if there is enough interest. I mean, I have nothing against the guy, but I wouldn't say he is difficult to replace. At all.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
I disagree. McLeod can bring energy, but I've seen so many times where the play just dies when he gets the puck and does something stupid with it. He is very bad at receiving a pass as well.
I think we should trade him if there is enough interest. I mean, I have nothing against the guy, but I wouldn't say he is difficult to replace. At all.
And who exactly have you in mind as his replacement? He's playing his role admirably well which is something that can't be said about the vast majority of our roster.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
He's a 4th liner! What are your expectations for a 4th liner in terms of receiving passes and handling the puck?

The Avs don't need to go into fire sale trade everyone mode. He's a big part of this team on pretty much every level except for point production, which he also chips in with.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
chewey
dmitri

Expectation?

Trading this:

for this:

Reality with Sherman?

Trading this:

for this:

Old
03-17-2013, 01:57 PM
cgf

Quote:
I'm tired of seeing Highlander getting his ass kicked at the exact perfect time to hand momentum to the other team while breaking ours. If he'd just let Bordy handle the fighting duties I'd be cool with keeping him around, but Bordy's presence has made Highlander's timing on fights even worse because he feels like he needs to take any fight that's offered so that people don't forget about him.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I'm tired of seeing Highlander getting his ass kicked at the exact perfect time to hand momentum to the other team while breaking ours. If he'd just let Bordy handle the fighting duties I'd be cool with keeping him around, but Bordy's presence has made Highlander's timing on fights even worse because he feels like he needs to take any fight that's offered so that people don't forget about him.
I don't think any of this is really true, especially the last part. He's not getting his ass kicked every fight, and he's not giving momentum to the other team, and he's fighting less with Bordy on the team. They're in different weight classes anyway, Bordy's not gonna fight the guys McLeod does.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Freudian
Regress to meanness

I never bought into fighting providing much momentum either way, especially the type of fights McLeod tends to be involved with. I do agree he has a weird sense of timing when he fights, but I don't think it matters one way or the other. Besides, he's pretty much fought to draws for the last three years. Rarely win big or lose big.

Avs have a tendency to give up deflating goals without any fighting involved (just look at the first periods of the last three games).

McLeod is a good fourth liner and has cut down on the silly penalties and is on a decent contract. There is no reason to flip him for a third round pick who has a 30% chance to turn into a NHL player in five years time.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

He's definitely been solid this year. I was all for getting rid of him after he returned from the eye injury a few years back during Duchene's rookie season. Dude went from being a net-crasher who didn't embarrass himself on the 2nd line to someone who fell down more often than Aaron Palushaj. And a big guy who can't stay on his skates is kind of useless.

But this year he's delivering hits all over the place and generally making life hell for the opposition whenever he's out there. And unlike that weasel Clutterbuck, he's willing to answer the bell when he doesn't have a linesman protecting him.

I also don't buy into the notion that the play "dies" on his stick. We know, and he knows that he's not this phenomenal puck-possession forward. He's usually smart enough to chip it down low and fight for it along the boards. I wish he'd crash the net more like he used to, but for the most part he's been good in a 4th line role, and hell, he's been okay in a 3rd line role too. He is obviously replaceable, but I don't see what in hell you're going to get that's a gigantic upgrade on him at the same price.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Yeah I am excepting minor moves, but I could also see a major trade happen out of nowhere.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
cgf

The last Wild game was a perfect example of how terrible his fight timing is, we were controlling the play throughout the first period. We're ratcheting up the pressure on them and then he gets into a fight that gives them a little breathing room to come back, re-adjust and get themselves into the game. Would that have happened either way? Can't really know, but he handed them the opportunity to do it right then and there.

All this doesn't mean I think it's imperative we move him or Kobasew, like it is that we move at least one of Zanon, Hunwick and O'Byrne, but if Sherman were to pull the trigger I wouldn't be disappointed at all, I trust his trades enough where if Sherm flips a low grade NHLer for another one, I'm expect us to come out on the other side of that trade. Like the Winnik/Gali trade, the O'Byrne and Hannan trades, I'd be cool with it.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
He's definitely been solid this year. I was all for getting rid of him after he returned from the eye injury a few years back during Duchene's rookie season. Dude went from being a net-crasher who didn't embarrass himself on the 2nd line to someone who fell down more often than Aaron Palushaj. And a big guy who can't stay on his skates is kind of useless.

But this year he's delivering hits all over the place and generally making life hell for the opposition whenever he's out there. And unlike that weasel Clutterbuck, he's willing to answer the bell when he doesn't have a linesman protecting him.

I also don't buy into the notion that the play "dies" on his stick. We know, and he knows that he's not this phenomenal puck-possession forward. He's usually smart enough to chip it down low and fight for it along the boards. I wish he'd crash the net more like he used to, but for the most part he's been good in a 4th line role, and hell, he's been okay in a 3rd line role too. He is obviously replaceable, but I don't see what in hell you're going to get that's a gigantic upgrade on him at the same price.
Yea he's actually very good at battling for the puck, and getting it to pop free at the right time when he's got the right body positioning. He wins almost all of those battles. He just doesn't have the talent or creativity to do much after that except wrap it around for a shot on net, but those are going to go in from time to time, or pop out for a good rebound chance.

You don't want a 4th line like his handling the puck, and skating up ice with it anyway. If any line on the team should be dumping and chasing, it's the 4th, and him and Bordy do a pretty decent job at cycling. They've put together a lot of good shifts this year that may not have resulted in goals, but energized the bench, and that's exactly what you want out of your 4th line.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I personally like Kobasew a little more than McLeod with Bordy around, since when has McLeod been a good PKer? Kobasew actually has some ability to score goals, and kills penalties. But that's if I had to choose between one or the other.

Honestly when it comes down to it, I'd like to keep both McLeod & Kobasew for the fourth line wings flanking Mitchell.

That line at times this year has had to be our third line, and they were able to pin opposing teams second lines (Even 1st lines a few times) in their own end, even being able to score occasionally.

I get peoples argument that Pj's will be a cheaper fourth line RW, but that kid really needs to learn how to stay on his skates. My guess is in all actuality they will let Kobasew go, and keep PJs. But I don't have to agree with that...

My opinion on that will change if Pjs learns how to kill penalties. Kobasew is the better utility player right now IMO.

We also have Olver as well...

Olver
PJ
McLeod
Bordy
Kobasew

That's 5 4th line wingers for maybe 3 spots if you include having a extra forward. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses...

Old
03-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I cant see us doing anything major unless we end up moving our 2014 1st.

A Package of our 2014 1st + Aittokallio could be enticing to a team that needs Goaltending soon.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:30 PM
the_fan

If Avs trade for somebody my money is on him putting up good numbers rest of this season and getting a season ending injury next year.

Last edited by the_fan: 03-17-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 05:40 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post

for some reason this reminds me of Hunwick

Old
03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
for some reason this reminds me of Hunwick
does that mean colby cohen is a ferrari ?

Old
03-17-2013, 07:20 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
does that mean colby cohen is a ferrari ?
Cohen is a ferrari with hyundai engine

Old
03-17-2013, 07:33 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I cant see us doing anything major unless we end up moving our 2014 1st.

A Package of our 2014 1st + Aittokallio could be enticing to a team that needs Goaltending soon.
And by soon, you mean 5-7 years.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
And by soon, you mean 5-7 years.
No? Aittokallio will be NHL ready in 2 years.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Zandar

Don't mind moving Cody & Chuck as they have Brad & Paul down in LE who could use the experience and might add a little more scoring.

Closed Thread