HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1/3 the Effort. Tampa vs. Carolina

Old
03-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

vCash: 500

Peg won. **** **** ****

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Datsyuk Prospect

Bogosian wins it....

Datsyuk Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Hello 8th place.

Wolfpuck
McSavior

That was agony.

Jets win

Lords of the SouthBEAST dethroned

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Novacane
LOCK

Not gonna lie. Somewhat glad this team is finally chasing the division lead after holding it for so long. Now they are facing a little adversity.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Wolfpuck
McSavior

The SouthBEAST is ours, by right. They'll bend the knee or we'll destroy them.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

I honestly don't care if we make it as the 8th seed, just really don't want to face the Habs in the first round

w e l o s t b o y s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:05 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
I honestly don't care if we make it as the 8th seed, just really don't want to face the Habs in the first round
I wouldn't worry. We'll probably lose out on the 8th seed on the final day of the season. That's more likely than making the playoffs if recent history is any kind of indication. As long as we keep a revolving door of bottom 6ers as our roster "shake ups" we're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Roboturner913

The good news is, at least nobody is breathing down our necks for the 8th spot. For now. The Islanders are 3 points back but have played 1 more game.

Pitiful performance tonight.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Probably a good thing I missed this one.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Roboturner913

The other good news is, I got my Stanley cup DVD today so my post-work beer and pizza won't go completely to waste.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm just conditioned for this, but this team is on a tipping point.. I'm nervous

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
TheBigKahuna

The journey and battle to obtain and maintain 9th place is well underway!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:18 AM
geehaad

When I talk about the way the game of hockey is played, I always feel the need to first disclaim that I have no delusions of knowing much about the way the game is played. Everything I know about the game is from having spectated and picked up on nuances. It's one reason that I don't like Tripp Tracy as a color guy, because I want more than what he delivers in his analysis.

Anyway, getting back to the attempt to make a fool of myself...

It seems to me that the Hurricanes neutral zone play is their achilles heel. Or perhaps it's better stated that their (in)ability to move the puck through the neutral zone is a quick indicator of whether they are a threat to win a game or not. I also think that this is the first part of their game that disappears in the 3rd period when they attempt to hold onto a lead. I might be able to make a better argument for this inclination if I'd had it for some time, but it more or less occurred to me during this game last night. The Canes just could not seem to move the puck through the neutral zone worth a crap, and they never figured out how to beat Tampa's system.

I don't know how to be any more articulate than that about the subject, but (I think) I know this: it is precisely this area of the game that determines who wins/loses playoff hockey games, so if they have any designs on taking this thing farther than a blowout series loss, they'd better figure it out.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Cares View Post
Maybe I'm just conditioned for this, but this team is on a tipping point.. I'm nervous
Shouldn't be nervous. It should be expected by this point. This team rarely, if ever, makes it easy on themselves.

Would anyone be really surprised to see them falter down the stretch and miss playoffs? Honestly, given the history of this team, I think it'd be more surprising for them to right the ship and cruise into a divisional championship.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Shouldn't be nervous. It should be expected by this point. This team rarely, if ever, makes it easy on themselves.

Would anyone be really surprised to see them falter down the stretch and miss playoffs? Honestly, given the history of this team, I think it'd be more surprising for them to right the ship and cruise into a divisional championship.
I would say that with the way the team is built (i.e. without much concern for their own end), it would be rather remarkable for them to cruise to winning the division with a career backup and basically a career AHLer in net for the duration.

As for the game itself, I might be wrong about this but it seems Muller diagnosed the issues that this team was having with Tampa the wrong way. Early in the broadcast Tripp was going on and on about the way they practiced for Tampa's forecheck. Didn't work, as their forecheck was still effective. The problem that they really had in the first two games, and this one, was getting anything going through the neutral zone. That was the key issue in the Capitals final two periods as well. The book would appear to be out on how to slow the team down, time to come up with something new. It's just like the PP that worked with the strech pass to Jokinen for about a 2 weeks, and everyone caught on and it never worked again.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:17 PM
wallym

Tampa's bottom 6 beat the tar out of our bottom 6.

A lot of good chances for our top 6, just didn't bury them tonight. Hopefully, they pot a few against the Rangers.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
The other good news is, I got my Stanley cup DVD today so my post-work beer and pizza won't go completely to waste.
Gotta ask, what took you so long to get one of those dvd's?

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
caniac315

vCash: 100
So disappointing.....shall we make it a 3-peat with the Rangers?

caniac315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac315 View Post
So disappointing.....shall we make it a 3-peat with the Rangers?
Torts won't give us any credit regardless, so it's a moot point

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
When I talk about the way the game of hockey is played, I always feel the need to first disclaim that I have no delusions of knowing much about the way the game is played. Everything I know about the game is from having spectated and picked up on nuances. It's one reason that I don't like Tripp Tracy as a color guy, because I want more than what he delivers in his analysis.

Anyway, getting back to the attempt to make a fool of myself...

It seems to me that the Hurricanes neutral zone play is their achilles heel. Or perhaps it's better stated that their (in)ability to move the puck through the neutral zone is a quick indicator of whether they are a threat to win a game or not. I also think that this is the first part of their game that disappears in the 3rd period when they attempt to hold onto a lead. I might be able to make a better argument for this inclination if I'd had it for some time, but it more or less occurred to me during this game last night. The Canes just could not seem to move the puck through the neutral zone worth a crap, and they never figured out how to beat Tampa's system.

I don't know how to be any more articulate than that about the subject, but (I think) I know this: it is precisely this area of the game that determines who wins/loses playoff hockey games, so if they have any designs on taking this thing farther than a blowout series loss, they'd better figure it out.

That's all pretty much spot on. Considering the defensemen and top-9 we're bringing to the table, you'd think we would be one of the better teams at getting through the neutral zone with speed. But lately it's pretty clear that the book is out on our breakout system. I really thought it would get better with Joni in the lineup, and it still might, but it's not pretty to watch right now.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Gotta ask, what took you so long to get one of those dvd's?

I already had all the playoff games from that year on a hard drive so I didn't feel like I needed it. But then I saw it on Amazon for 7 bucks and that's pretty much a no-brainer.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That's all pretty much spot on. Considering the defensemen and top-9 we're bringing to the table, you'd think we would be one of the better teams at getting through the neutral zone with speed. But lately it's pretty clear that the book is out on our breakout system. I really thought it would get better with Joni in the lineup, and it still might, but it's not pretty to watch right now.
This team's main strength on offense is its forecheck/cycle game and the forwards creating turnovers in the neutral zone. Those aren't really things that can be negated by the other team's "system," they just need to get back to the basic game plan, do some more dump and chase stuff and mix it up a little bit more. They're too predictable right now.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

I sort of want peg to win the southBEAST, just so we can lol at the southeast championship banner.

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:56 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton H Christ View Post
I sort of want peg to win the southBEAST, just so we can lol at the southeast championship banner.

They didn't take this with them?

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote