HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Is there anyone worth tanking for

Old
03-17-2013, 02:49 PM
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.

vCash: 500
Tanking for the sake of a top draft pick reeks of a lack of integrity. We may suck right now but if we threw the rest of the season just to pick early, I'd be ashamed to be associated with the franchise. It doesn't seem like a typical Trotz/Poile move anyway.

mollymcdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Yes there are players worth tanking for, look at how well Edmonton has done with their high draft picks. And Atlanta/Winnipeg, and Columbus, and the Islanders, and the Maple Leafs.

The only way I would fire Trotz after this year is if we do tank. Our last game is against Columbus, if it is some how a battle of last place I want our guys to absolutely crush Columbus and pick 2nd. Losing is a culture that is hard to break.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Smog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I don't care whether this teams wins 10 in a row or loses 10 in a row, I just don't want to finish the 9 or 10 seed.
I concur.

Smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymcdeath View Post
Tanking for the sake of a top draft pick reeks of a lack of integrity. We may suck right now but if we threw the rest of the season just to pick early, I'd be ashamed to be associated with the franchise. It doesn't seem like a typical Trotz/Poile move anyway.
No one has advocated losing on purpose.

However, Erat is still on the first power play unit and we're playing a first d-pairing of Bartley\Weber. That's not tanking on purpose, but it may as well be.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I have to agree that if the Preds are going to have a throw away season it is this one. Shortened season. The lockout didn't seem to hurt the momentum made by the team in terms of growing the fan base and corporate support. It's less likely that a bad 48 game season will do anything to hurt that growth than it is a bad 82 game season would, IMO.

When getting people in the door and in the seats was a huge concern simply making the playoffs was a good thing. Now, I'd rather not see the team play above its head only to be knocked out in the first or second round. If this is truly a bad team give me the draft position associated with being a bad team.

03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah, this has been like a trial and error season anyway. I just wish Watson, Beck and Latta were a part of it, or at least 1 of the 3

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Having a bad year this season doesn't trigger some intense rebuild. I think a high draft pick combined with a good free agency(desperately need a top 4 dman, badly need a top 3 forward) could be the way to do it the way the Flyers did it in 07.

Look at all of the "elite" teams in the league. They all have a stud defenseman, yes, but they also all have that face of the franchise forward as well. Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Bergeron...a pick even in the top 6 or 7 could guarantee getting that. The nice thing about it is that most of them...Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan...all have a great defensive game to go along with the offense. There shouldn't be an issue with stepping right into Trotz's system.
too many of the top 15 have names end with a "V" or starting with one. Nurse just screams Poile and Trotz.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Plus if we have a high draft pick it gives me a reason to look forward to watching the draft. Strange territory, I know

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
hockey diva

How about the owners find some balls and fire Poile and Trotz. I'm sick of overpaying for other team's leftovers. The trades we made for Gill, AK, and Guastad, how those working out. We gave up 1st and 2 nd round picks for these guys. We have nothing to rebuild with.

Last edited by hockey diva: 03-17-2013 at 04:44 PM.
hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Well, part of building a contender is using the draft, and if the team tanks we'll have a high draft pick. You know Poile isn't going to be fired since he will likely retire soon enough. Trotz is here as long as Poile is here.

Let's not turn this into another Trotz/Poile debate. We can have that discussion somewhere else.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Hoe about we fire Poile and Trotz and build a legit contender instead this crap we have now?
Yeah we could get Brian Burke and Ron Wilson!!!!!!!!!!

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
too many of the top 15 have names end with a "V" or starting with one. Nurse just screams Poile and Trotz.
That's BS. The only Russian is Nicushcin, and as skilled as he is, yes, I would avoid him.

Barkov is Finnish with Russian heritage.

Even outside of the "big" names, there's some really nice goal scoring prospects--Shinkaruk, Erne, Duclair.

But with Nurse and Jones likely to go top ten, and 5-7 high end forward prospects, landing 8-11 would likely still get us a very good player, if we didn't blow the pick.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Yeah we could get Brian Burke and Ron Wilson!!!!!!!!!!
No. How about let Fenton the assistant take over. And for coaching how about an assistant from a powerhouse team like Pittsburgh or Detroit? Teams with a winning culture.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:51 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Guys, I was serious when I said we don't need to get into coaching/GM discussions in this thread. That was not why it was created. There are other threads in which you can discuss that topic.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:55 PM
hockey diva

Point taken. I just hope Poile doesn't give the first away for more scraps.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
That's BS. The only Russian is Nicushcin, and as skilled as he is, yes, I would avoid him.

Barkov is Finnish with Russian heritage.

Even outside of the "big" names, there's some really nice goal scoring prospects--Shinkaruk, Erne, Duclair.

But with Nurse and Jones likely to go top ten, and 5-7 high end forward prospects, landing 8-11 would likely still get us a very good player, if we didn't blow the pick.
I'm seeing Nicushcin, Zadorov, Zykov, and Barkov. Poile said the team is done with Russians after the Radulov debacle. Now he did go back on that last year when he brought him back but I doubt Polie takes that chance with a top 10 or 5 pick.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
I'm seeing Nicushcin, Zadorov, Zykov, and Barkov. Poile said the team is done with Russians after the Radulov debacle. Now he did go back on that last year when he brought him back but I doubt Polie takes that chance with a top 10 or 5 pick.
Zykov is already in N.A. and Barkov is Finnish.

Barkov is my top choice if we're in that 3-5 range.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Byrddog

Imagine all the starts line up, Nash has kittens, Kentucky wins the NCAA basketball crown, And the Preds get the Number one Pick do they take Jones or trade down to get another pick in top 5 and a later pick or does DP take the Dman?????

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:34 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I have to agree that if the Preds are going to have a throw away season it is this one. Shortened season. The lockout didn't seem to hurt the momentum made by the team in terms of growing the fan base and corporate support. It's less likely that a bad 48 game season will do anything to hurt that growth than it is a bad 82 game season would, IMO.

When getting people in the door and in the seats was a huge concern simply making the playoffs was a good thing. Now, I'd rather not see the team play above its head only to be knocked out in the first or second round. If this is truly a bad team give me the draft position associated with being a bad team.

exactly how I feel. Although I bet Poile/Trotz will continue to try to polish a turd when they have the chance.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Zykov is already in N.A. and Barkov is Finnish.

Barkov is my top choice if we're in that 3-5 range.
I still worry about the "Russian Factor" even with Barkov

Old
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Why? Has Barkov done something to earn it, or is it just a hunch?

Old
03-17-2013, 07:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I still worry about the "Russian Factor" even with Barkov
So, he's a risk because he has Russian relatives? He's a Finn that has played for Finland, grew up in Finland, speaks Finnish. He's as Russian as I am German.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I actually mentioned Barkov to a friend of mine and his immediate reaction was "I don't want anyone with an -ov name". Barkov is 100% NOT A RUSSIAN. He has no more flight risk than any of European player.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Right now Nashville is in the Shinkaruk range if they don't make the playoffs.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:13 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Having a bad year this season doesn't trigger some intense rebuild. I think a high draft pick combined with a good free agency(desperately need a top 4 dman, badly need a top 3 forward) could be the way to do it the way the Flyers did it in 07.

Look at all of the "elite" teams in the league. They all have a stud defenseman, yes, but they also all have that face of the franchise forward as well. Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Bergeron...a pick even in the top 6 or 7 could guarantee getting that. The nice thing about it is that most of them...Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan...all have a great defensive game to go along with the offense. There shouldn't be an issue with stepping right into Trotz's system.
A top 7 pick will never guarantee a face of the franchise player never really has. Are the chances better yes but never a guarantee when you look at how many top 5s have bombed.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote