HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 02:06 PM
  #976
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
if MG is going after Lagainere and Sustr, and we have a choice of one? who would you choose? a big 6'8 defenseman or big 6'4 center that is top 6 material?
Sustr.

Wisp is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:10 PM
  #977
ZenMaster*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
if MG is going after Lagainere and Sustr, and we have a choice of one? who would you choose? a big 6'8 defenseman or big 6'4 center that is top 6 material?
Sustr would fit the line-up like a glove, a 6'8 RH defenceman. I'm sure this is one of the selling points to Sustr when MG pitched to him, we are sorely lacking this type of player in the pipeline.

ZenMaster* is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:12 PM
  #978
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Big Naissak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton, Canucks.
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Big Naissak
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
if MG is going after Lagainere and Sustr, and we have a choice of one? who would you choose? a big 6'8 defenseman or big 6'4 center that is top 6 material?
Definitely Sustr, can't miss an opportunity to get someone for free that could turn out to be the next myers with more confidence.

Big Naissak is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
  #979
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
**** get both.

keslerburrows is online now  
Old
03-17-2013, 02:17 PM
  #980
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Big Naissak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton, Canucks.
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Big Naissak
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
**** get both.
I would love to be able to hear the pitches made to the players/agents, see how far some teams really go to get the guy.

Big Naissak is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
  #981
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Naissak View Post
I would love to be able to hear the pitches made to the players/agents, see how far some teams really go to get the guy.
Well from what we hear from players that sign (Hamhuis for example) it sounds like Gillis approaches it from an extremely professional manner and tries to win over players with organizational class. It seems to be an effective style even though every once in a while a college senior will over look this and sign with a rival because they gave him a bag of Edmonton Oilers goodies.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 04:49 PM
  #982
just22
meat and taters
 
just22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Ben Hutton's final stat line for his first year of Collegiate hockey:

34 GP, 4G, 11A, 15Pts, 18PIM, +2

Pretty solid, IMO.
Also third in team scoring, 11 points behind the leading scorer with 4 fewer GP... not too shabby.

just22 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
  #983
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 500
Mallet scored today. Kwings lost 9-2. Mallet and Grenier were only -1's, most of the team were -3 and -4s

timw33 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 05:03 PM
  #984
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 250
^ Holy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Well from what we hear from players that sign (Hamhuis for example) it sounds like Gillis approaches it from an extremely professional manner and tries to win over players with organizational class. It seems to be an effective style even though every once in a while a college senior will over look this and sign with a rival because they gave him a bag of Edmonton Oilers goodies.
Yet at the same time no guarantees of ice time or roles or anything. You just have to hope the college guys realize they're likely better off going through some development in the minors, unlike Schultz - who's not worth screwing up your whole salary structure for anyway.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 05:15 PM
  #985
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,962
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Mallet scored today. Kwings lost 9-2. Mallet and Grenier were only -1's, most of the team were -3 and -4s
Who was in goal?

Edit: Kalamazoo's own goalie Joel Martin.

me2 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 06:55 PM
  #986
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
Also third in team scoring, 11 points behind the leading scorer with 4 fewer GP... not too shabby.
Maybe it's been mentioned already, but I recall that Maine was basically the lowest-scoring hockey team in the NCAA this season.

That's from memory; I haven't checked the stat lately. In any case, it's a very low-scoring group so Hutton's stats probably don't reflect his offensive ability on a normally skillful team.

701 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 07:01 PM
  #987
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
^ Holy...



Yet at the same time no guarantees of ice time or roles or anything. You just have to hope the college guys realize they're likely better off going through some development in the minors, unlike Schultz - who's not worth screwing up your whole salary structure for anyway.
Well to be fair, Shultz may in fact have been better suited to go to Edmonton than here.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:56 PM
  #988
TheCanuckInOttawa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: South Korea
Posts: 552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Well to be fair, Shultz may in fact have been better suited to go to Edmonton than here.
I agree with you on this. Even though I was very disappointed when he signed with Oilers, I couldn't blame him.

We all know VAN offered a perfect opportunity for him since he could've come to VAN and filled that open RHD position without much problem. And I'm sure he was very confident with his ability. However, with the way AV treats some players, you never know what will happen.

Even though Oilers is near the bottom of the standing again, he is showing his potential and producing some points with more than 20 ATOI. I'm sure he will get a lot of money at the end of his current contract.

Since his goal was clearly to get a better opportunity to maximize his potential future earning, he made a right choice.

TheCanuckInOttawa is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 10:32 PM
  #989
BuzzBuzz
Registered User
 
BuzzBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 317
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuckInOttawa View Post
I agree with you on this. Even though I was very disappointed when he signed with Oilers, I couldn't blame him.

We all know VAN offered a perfect opportunity for him since he could've come to VAN and filled that open RHD position without much problem. And I'm sure he was very confident with his ability. However, with the way AV treats some players, you never know what will happen.

Even though Oilers is near the bottom of the standing again, he is showing his potential and producing some points with more than 20 ATOI. I'm sure he will get a lot of money at the end of his current contract.

Since his goal was clearly to get a better opportunity to maximize his potential future earning, he made a right choice.
Not to mention playing on a team with with a bunch of guys his age in a city with little to no performance expectations.

BuzzBuzz is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:50 PM
  #990
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,097
vCash: 500
Nebraska-Omaha was eliminated tonight, let's start the week of right with a Sustr signing tomorrow MG.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:51 PM
  #991
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,991
vCash: 500
If he's coming at Free Agency from a Schultz-like perspective, I think it's Philly that gets Sustr. Desperate present and future need for a player like that.


That said, I hope his perspective is more Tanev-like.

Wisp is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 11:59 PM
  #992
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,916
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
If he's coming at Free Agency from a Schultz-like perspective, I think it's Philly that gets Sustr. Desperate present and future need for a player like that.


That said, I hope his perspective is more Tanev-like.
"i trust dave gagner" ??

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
  #993
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Well to be fair, Shultz may in fact have been better suited to go to Edmonton than here.
He may have liked the young core they have there and does fit right in, but is he going to turn out to be a better player for it in the end? I'm not convinced it's better suited for his development...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBuzz View Post
Not to mention playing on a team with with a bunch of guys his age in a city with little to no performance expectations.
I don't know if that's meant to paint him in a good light though. Basically saying he doesn't want to play on a team that has pressure to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Maybe it's been mentioned already, but I recall that Maine was basically the lowest-scoring hockey team in the NCAA this season.

That's from memory; I haven't checked the stat lately. In any case, it's a very low-scoring group so Hutton's stats probably don't reflect his offensive ability on a normally skillful team.
I tend to think the same. The fact that he's 3rd in team scoring as a 20-year old D is very encouraging though at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Who was in goal?

Edit: Kalamazoo's own goalie Joel Martin.
Not good for K-zoo. They're desperately trying to make it to the playoffs.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 12:30 AM
  #994
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
"i trust dave gagner" ??
I'm sure that has a lot to with it, but he has said in interviews he went with the Canucks because they were straight talkers.


Last edited by Wisp: 03-18-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Wisp is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 12:51 AM
  #995
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
For those following the Sustr and Laganiere Sweepstakes:


thefeebster is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 01:19 AM
  #996
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,962
vCash: 50
great vids thanks.

Reasonable wheels and hands, but does Laganiere ever pass? Get puck, get into position to shot - shoot. Or is that just the way the video was edited? I think I saw him looking to pass just once or twice in that entire video, if dumping the puck off to a Dman counts.

Liked Sustr's offense but he doesn't look NHL ready defensively from those small number of highlights.


Last edited by me2: 03-18-2013 at 02:04 AM.
me2 is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 01:35 AM
  #997
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Big Naissak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton, Canucks.
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Big Naissak
Sustr looks a bit awkward but that's to be expected, Laganiere looks freaking awesome and he reminds me a lot of Hossa offensively.

Big Naissak is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 01:36 AM
  #998
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 40,364
vCash: 50
vids are awesome! Thanks Feebster

does anyone know the approximate timetable for these guys signing?

LPH is online now  
Old
03-18-2013, 02:09 AM
  #999
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
great vids thanks.

Reasonable wheels and hands, but does Laganiere ever pass? Get puck, get into position to shot - shoot. Or is that just the way the video was edited? I think I saw one or two passes in that entire video.

Liked Sustr's offense but he doesn't look NHL ready defensively from those small number of highlights.
Laganiere does pass, I may have cut out a few, but still your assessment is right. I would not label him as a playmaking winger or a guy with great passing vision. As I said earlier, he does try to do a lot of things on his own, which is good and bad. Nice to have a guy who can create his own offense but he can try to force things and if they don't work, it leads to rushes the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
vids are awesome! Thanks Feebster

does anyone know the approximate timetable for these guys signing?
Np!

Sustr I think can sign any time now, but Yale is still playing on Mar 23rd for either third place or the finals.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
03-18-2013, 02:23 AM
  #1000
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,962
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Laganiere does pass, I may have cut out a few, but still your assessment is right. I would not label him as a playmaking winger or a guy with great passing vision. As I said earlier, he does try to do a lot of things on his own, which is good and bad. Nice to have a guy who can create his own offense but he can try to force things and if they don't work, it leads to rushes the other way.
I kept watching it and saying "what would David Booth do?" None the less a nice package of physical skills.

me2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.