HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

European Championship

Old
03-10-2013, 11:45 PM
EbencoyE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
This would be better how? It will actually be worse because no one will care about the games with the lesser teams.
Fans of the lesser teams will. You don't think Germans or the Swiss would pack their arenas for a game against Russia? Imagine if France or Hungary or Slovenia qualifies, the buzz would be huge and the arenas would sell out easily.

Besides, an empty arena in Russia for Russia - Denmark is no different than an empty arena at the EHT for Finland - Czech Republic. At least a Euro Championship would have prestige to it, unlike some pointless friendly tournament that's part of the EHT.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:56 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
made-up competition......? aren't all competitions made up to begin with?

anythings better than the completely uninteresting and pointless EHT.
Poor choice of words.

My point was, the EHT is basicaly treated as exhibition games where coaches try players or line combinations, not something to try to win at all cost. I'd bet that replacing it with another tournament wouldn't change the way national team breaks are used.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:09 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Besides, an empty arena in Russia for Russia - Denmark is no different than an empty arena at the EHT for Finland - Czech Republic. At least a Euro Championship would have prestige to it, unlike some pointless friendly tournament that's part of the EHT.
you used wrong example. Russian EHT games at russian soil are always sold out (or 90%)

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:59 AM
joe89

Quote:
This would be better how? It will actually be worse because no one will care about the games with the lesser teams.
You're only looking at it from our standpoint. There are 12 to 20 other countries that will love to play the four of us and try to make progress.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Jussi
Thank you, Carrie

If they can come up with a format that guarantees the "lesser countries" games against the top countries while also allowing the top countries to face each other enough times to allow better player evaluation (since that's what the EHT is/was meant for, evaluating European based players for a possible WC selection), then I'm all for it.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
You're only looking at it from our standpoint. There are 12 to 20 other countries that will love to play the four of us and try to make progress.
1. Russia
2. Finland
3. Czech Republic
4. Sweden
5. Slovakia
6. Norway
7. Switzerland
8. Germany
9. Latvia
10. Denmark
11. Belarus
12. France
13. Austria
14. Italy
15. Kazakhstan
16. Slovenia
17. Hungary
18. Ukraine
19. Great Britain
20. Poland
21. Netherlands
22. Lithuania
23. Estonia
24. Rumania

This list was posted in the thread, I'm pretty sure vast majority of half of these countries could not care less.

If it would however be like vorky posted a picture off, it could be interesting. 12 countries, some bad, none REALLY bad. All of the games would be at least worthwhile watching on TV. I'd like to see something similar to the world championship then. EC A, B etc and lesser teams have to qualify.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
joe89

Quote:
This list was posted in the thread, I'm pretty sure vast majority of half of these countries could not care less.

If it would however be like vorky posted a picture off, it could be interesting. 12 countries, some bad, none REALLY bad. All of the games would be at least worthwhile watching on TV. I'd like to see something similar to the world championship then. EC A, B etc and lesser teams have to qualify.
I too think that 24 would be a little rich, but 16 or 20 could be fine.

As for interest, I think it's there as long as the games have some sort of meaning. Hungary drew 6000+ for their Olympic qualification games, Ukraine drew 5-6000, Germany had a solid 4500 sellout, Denmark drew 4000-5000. Hungary and Ukraine are 17 and 18 respectively on that list. Getting TV deals shouldn't be a problem either. I think the interest may be higher than many are willing to give them credit for.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:24 PM
EbencoyE

Hungary sells 10,000+ tickets for friendly games. I remember France sold out their arena in Paris (about 12,000 seats I believe) for a friendly against Canada a couple years back too. Countries like Switzerland, Latvia, Slovakia, etc are always a safe bet for having a good sized crowd as well.

An actual competition against the top teams in Europe will surely bring out good crowds. Even Russians/Swedes/Czechs/Finns will come out for the later round games at least.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Hungary sells 10,000+ tickets for friendly games. I remember France sold out their arena in Paris (about 12,000 seats I believe) for a friendly against Canada a couple years back too. Countries like Switzerland, Latvia, Slovakia, etc are always a safe bet for having a good sized crowd as well
Cool, seems all those countries has more hockey interest than Sweden then. Those kinds of numbers would only come here against good competition in the world championship or olympics, or if the tickets were very very cheap.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Dosing

Englund should take this "tillfälle i akt" and pull us out of that boring backscrubbing partaj.

Bring back the nordic trophy please and thank you (:

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:01 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Is it smart to move WC to january/february ? In same time there is handball WC or EC, depends on year.
its one thing to send your star players to a tournament after you have been eliminated from the playoffs and quite another to send them mid-season. Cant see the DEL agree to a world cup in jan/feb.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:04 PM
luki here

Quote:
Hungary sells 10,000+ tickets for friendly games. I remember France sold out their arena in Paris (about 12,000 seats I believe) for a friendly against Canada a couple years back too. Countries like Switzerland, Latvia, Slovakia, etc are always a safe bet for having a good sized crowd as well.

An actual competition against the top teams in Europe will surely bring out good crowds. Even Russians/Swedes/Czechs/Finns will come out for the later round games at least.
link, otherwise sounds very unrealistic.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Eidyia

This won't change anything. It'll still be SWE2/3 vs. FIN2/3. And so on.

Just make it an European (or Nordic) Club competition! I'd watch Helsinki-Stockholm, Turku-Gothenburg and Oulu-Luleå rather than Finland B3 vs. Sweden B3.

Last edited by Eidyia: 03-17-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:33 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
link, otherwise sounds very unrealistic.
You must not follow international hockey very closely, as it is well known how packed and loud and crazy Budapest Sports Arena (which holds over 12,000 people) gets for any Team Hungary match.

Here's a video of when they beat Sweden in a friendly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUh8ErdyZXU

you can see the crowd well at 3:30 when Hungary scores their first goal

Old
12-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Slimmy

Quote:
You must not follow international hockey very closely, as it is well known how packed and loud and crazy Budapest Sports Arena (which holds over 12,000 people) gets for any Team Hungary match.

Here's a video of when they beat Sweden in a friendly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUh8ErdyZXU

you can see the crowd well at 3:30 when Hungary scores their first goal
That's really cool! I had no idea hockey was that popular in Hungary. You can really tell finns and hungarians have the same roots, as far as language goes.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote