HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stefan Elliott

Old
03-17-2013, 03:22 AM
landesberg
p stastny

vCash: 500
Stefan Elliott

What's up with the kid? He looked great last season, albeit raw, but you could at least see the tools and potential he possesses. He finished with 13pts in 39 NHL games last season, but he had the majority of those points fairly early on.

This season he looks nothing like the guy he was last season. I mean Elliott always struggled with the physicality, but at least last season he'd have some poise and actually look dangerous in the offensive zone with great mobility and his wicked wrister. In his short callup this season, he didn't look great at all.

He's at 8pts in 38 games with LE. What's up with him? I mean I know he's been battling an injury of some sort, but that can't be the sole reason for his dropoff?

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:32 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by landesberg View Post
What's up with the kid? He looked great last season, albeit raw, but you could at least see the tools and potential he possesses. He finished with 13pts in 39 NHL games last season, but he had the majority of those points fairly early on.

This season he looks nothing like the guy he was last season. I mean Elliott always struggled with the physicality, but at least last season he'd have some poise and actually look dangerous in the offensive zone with great mobility and his wicked wrister. In his short callup this season, he didn't look great at all.

He's at 8pts in 38 games with LE. What's up with him? I mean I know he's been battling an injury of some sort, but that can't be the sole reason for his dropoff?
It was a pretty serious knee injury, then he played all of one game before getting called up to the NHL. It was clear that while he showed more puck skill in one game than Greg Zanon has ever shown in his entire life, his confidence was shot. That's probably plaguing him a bit as he tries to reacclimate back to the AHL.

I'm not worried, he'll probably take a little longer to develop than Barrie, but he has a skillset that'll make him an NHL-caliber puckmoving defender. It just remains to be seen if he'll be a star or just a depth guy. But this year has had some setbacks for him that's for sure. Then again, a LOT of players in this organization had setbacks unless their names were Matt Duchene or P.A. Parenteau.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:38 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

I hope he can get his game back. When we traded Shattenkirk, I remember a few of our fans saying that Elliott and Barrie were the reason we could trade Shattenkirk. He was good a moving the puck well but looked timid. I remember his first goal was an absolute wicked wrister on Brodeur.

Last edited by Puckstop40: 03-17-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:47 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
He'll bounce back, I really want to see him, Tyson and Gaunce get a chance under a competent coach and Chyneworth doesn't look too good to me, I think it's pretty telling that Gaunce was playing great last year and now he's struggling mightily.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Drij

you lost me at "He looked great last season"...

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I don't see a lack of confidence in himself, I see a lack of confidence in his partners. He has had to play in a more defensive role this year because he's been paired with the godawful players on both the Avs and Monsters.

Meanwhile Barrie got Pck and Hejda.

He'll be a force in a couple years, no doubt about that. Dat shot.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
I hope he can get his game back. When we traded Shattenkirk, I remember a few of our fans saying that Elliott and Barrie was the reason we could trade Shattenkirk. He was good a moving the puck well but looked timid. I remember his first goal was an absolute wicked wrister on Brodeur.
The Avs are a weird team. Usually you trade the prospect instead of the player who's already ready but they moved the more sure thing (Shattenkirk).

It would be like the Oilers trading Schultz because they have Klefbom or the Leafs trading Gardiner last year because they have Morgan Reilly (maybe Reilly will be better but he hasn't even played an NHL game yet).

Anyways, offensive dmen need to be developed properly, I'm not sure we have the coaching assets to turn Elliott into that 50 pt dman but we'll see.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
The Avs are a weird team. Usually you trade the prospect instead of the player who's already ready but they moved the more sure thing (Shattenkirk).

It would be like the Oilers trading Schultz because they have Klefbom or the Leafs trading Gardiner last year because they have Morgan Reilly (maybe Reilly will be better but he hasn't even played an NHL game yet).

Anyways, offensive dmen need to be developed properly, I'm not sure we have the coaching assets to turn Elliott into that 50 pt dman but we'll see.
Or the Kings trading JJ because they have Voynov.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
landesberg
p stastny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
you lost me at "He looked great last season"...
He wasn't our worst defenceman last season and he looked good for an undersized rookie defenseman. The fact that he showed that he could compete and produce a little bit so early in his development is a great season to me.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Foppa2118

He looked good for his first few games, but then the opposition found out about his great wrister, and his skating and kinda shut him down.

This year he was a little better defensively, but still wasn't able to generate offense the way he did his first few games.

He's a got some work to do, but at least he showed some improvement defensively. Now he's just got to figure out what works offensively in the NHL to generate chances for himself and others.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Zandar

As has been mentioned briefly before...two major things have happened this year.

He had been playing with a lot of the weaker Ds in LE or at least the more offensive of them which required him to change his style some to cover up for his partners' lack of defensive abilities. If you are playing with borderline AHL talent then you are not going to try and skate the puck yourself. Lately, He's seen time with Pock, Gaunce and more defensive oriented players which has helped.

The other major item is the lack of pure talent at forward. This has caused LE to be less of a run and gun and more of a dump/chase/grind approach. Elliott does not make a living off dumping the puck. When the system requires you to play much different than you have success doing...you are going to see some struggles. Wasn't until recently he started seeing more PP ice time and with the better players. Elliott needs a team that can allow him to become the 4th forward not the PMD who dumps it in for the Malones, DVGs, and company to go fish out. When he has someone like O'Reilly dishing him the puck when he pinches in...we will see him do some serious damage. Right now he has whatever LE player who is on a PTO.

Zandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:13 PM
iceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I don't see a lack of confidence in himself, I see a lack of confidence in his partners. He has had to play in a more defensive role this year because he's been paired with the godawful players on both the Avs and Monsters.

Meanwhile Barrie got Pck and Hejda.

He'll be a force in a couple years, no doubt about that. Dat shot.
Man, that's the most popular excuse for our favorite players' struggles, isn't it??

EJ not playing as expected? Blame Hunwick, Hejda, Wilson, whoever...

Stastny? Blame Jones...

Elliott? Blame someone else...

iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:21 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He'll bounce back, I really want to see him, Tyson and Gaunce get a chance under a competent coach and Chyneworth doesn't look too good to me, I think it's pretty telling that Gaunce was playing great last year and now he's struggling mightily.
Gaunce = Bust. I doubt he's still in the Avs system next season.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
Man, that's the most popular excuse for our favorite players' struggles, isn't it??

Stastny? Blame Jones...

I hope you're ok going to work tomorrow and having to complete your job to its full potential when your team has been replaced with the Janitor, Lunch Lady and an 80 year old with Alzheimers.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
iceberg

Quote:
I hope you're ok going to work tomorrow and having to complete your job to its full potential when your team has been replaced with the Janitor, Lunch Lady and an 80 year old with Alzheimers.
I can't judge Elliott since i don't get to see LEM games... but it just seen odd to put the blame on others, when he was producing less than the Janitor, the Lunch Lady and the 80 year old with Alzheimer.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
I can't judge Elliott since i don't get to see LEM games... but it just seen odd to put the blame on others, when he was producing less than the Janitor, the Lunch Lady and the 80 year old with Alzheimer.
He is an offensive guy that is getting secondary players to work with. Why isn't EJ producing, he's clearly talented enough to. He's playing with Sullivan and Stollery in LEM iirc, guys definitely not suited to cover him. He played with Zanon up here, do I need to say more?

If Elliott can't take chances offensively then he won't produce a lot because it is his creativity that makes him so dynamic.

When he makes the NHL, it will be in dramatic fashion imo.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:04 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
He is an offensive guy that is getting secondary players to work with. Why isn't EJ producing, he's clearly talented enough to. He's playing with Sullivan and Stollery in LEM iirc, guys definitely not suited to cover him. He played with Zanon up here, do I need to say more?

If Elliott can't take chances offensively then he won't produce a lot because it is his creativity that makes him so dynamic.

Getting Siemens back next year will help them both IMO. This is one reason I would love to bring in Smid...

Smid could work with EJ or on our second pairing with one of Elliott or Barrie.

Smid
Siemens
Hejda

Down the left side would be a HUGE improvement in defense first guys for our RH offensive defenders.

Everyone developed...

Smid/Siemens - EJ

Smid/Siemens - Elliott/Barrie

Hejda - Elliott/Barrie

Our defense should turn over HUGE in the next year or two.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Lonewolfe2015

I fully expect Smid to get five mil from a desperate team, which will certainly not be us.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:10 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I fully expect Smid to get five mil from a desperate team, which will certainly not be us.
If that happens, then no... I wouldn't want it to be us. I'd be fine with 4M per for 4 years though. Similar contract to what Garrison got, but Smid should get a little less because he does not bring as much offensive upside.

I think the offensive guys are getting over priced a bit more than guys like Smid in free-agency.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Gaunce = Bust. I doubt he's still in the Avs system next season.
Gaunce is 22. Way too soon to give up on him. Probably get one more season to develop before they decide what to do with him.

Zandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:26 PM
iceberg

Quote:

Stollery and Sullivan look like decent AHL defensemen, Stollery is having a pretty solid season actually.

Saying that he is having a bad year because of his partners seems like an easy way to justify Elliott's shortcomings. Especially since he is the guy suposed to carry the play.

He is suposed to be the kind of player that will make his partner look better.

But he is young and is figuring things out. I believe he will rebound.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:32 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Stollery and Sullivan look like decent AHL defensemen, Stollery is having a pretty solid season actually.

Saying that he is having a bad year because of his partners seems like an easy way to justify Elliott's shortcomings. Especially since he is the guy suposed to carry the play.

He is suposed to be the kind of player that will make his partner look better.

But he is young and is figuring things out. I believe he will rebound.
Stollery is playing better as of late but to start the season he was pretty bad. Sullivan was absolutely TERRIBLE this season, the guy is a bad hockey player.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Elliot is still rebounding from that injury, he looks a little skittish.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:11 PM
boz
Altitude Fan

I can't see Elliott and Barrie both together with the Avs in the long term.

I'd be more inclined to trade him if the right deal came along. Whilst the Siemens/Elliott pairing is quite interesting with their history i think it's bit of a reach to think the timing will work out to make it a reality...eg Cohen/Shattenkirk

boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:08 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Stastny? Blame Jones...

Certain players are more dependant on their linemates. A playmaker like Stastny who doesn't create a lot of scoring chances on his own like Crosby needs a good sniper, and a D like EJ who has a lot of talent and phsysical tools but may not have the on ice vision required to create plays on his own, are guys that rely heavily on who they play with.

You could put Forsberg, or Bourque with anyone and they'd have success, but not everyone can be that kind of player.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote