HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Roszival

Old
08-01-2006, 02:09 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Yet another prediction of mine has come to fruition.
I think that you will be hardpressed to find anyone who did not predict that Rozsival would be back. Wanting him back is a different story that expecting for him to be back.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:09 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Let's not exaggerate here....Roszival is a fairly solid NHLer with some good flashes and some lapses..You don't replace him with a LIFFITON who may never be an NHLer, not to mention there at least three Pack D-men that are/were better (Pock, Baranks, Girardi)
Liffiton did not look out of place in that one game where he played.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2006041113 Liffiton can be strudwicks replacement. we need more size, at least players who use it on defense but they gotta be able to skate.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Fletch

You don't replace Rozsival with Liffiton...

I agree Larry. But do you replace Rozsival with Ward and Olozinsh of last season with Liffiton? That's a different story. I don't think many in here believed that Rozsival wouldn't be signed. If the Rangers offered him 3 years, $5.7MM as a starting point, it showed that they had interest. There still may be an ultimate plan that means the current roster is still not yet set. At worst, this is the current roster. If the right deal comes along, there still could be some movement. Of course, it's tough to guarantee that deal comes along.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I agree Larry. But do you replace Rozsival with Ward and Olozinsh of last season with Liffiton? That's a different story. I don't think many in here believed that Rozsival wouldn't be signed. If the Rangers offered him 3 years, $5.7MM as a starting point, it showed that they had interest. There still may be an ultimate plan that means the current roster is still not yet set. At worst, this is the current roster. If the right deal comes along, there still could be some movement. Of course, it's tough to guarantee that deal comes along.
I don't even think Liffiton is of minute consideration right now, not with the signings of Roszival, Ward, Rachunek, and Martin Richter..Not to mention better players like Pock and Girardi..

ANd I agree that there could still be movement (in and out of town), bringing in either a forward or a D-man (VISHNEVSKI??? LEETCH????)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:20 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Being that we have better defenseman this season if Rozy goes to the box frequently he should be benched! I have had enough of his pansy a$$ playing style.
Rozy is not the worst.

Kasparaitis 97PIM in 67 games = 1.5 PIM per game
Malik 78/74 = 1.1 pim/g
Rozsival 90/82 = 1.1 pim/g
Strudwick 66/65 = 1.0 pim/g
Poti 70/73 = .96 pim/g
Tyutin 58/77 = .75 pim/g

Ward (Canes) 62/71 = .87 pim/g

Strudwick is the worst since he played much less time, but he's gone. Next is Kaspar. You wouldn't like bench Kasparaitis, would you?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:21 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Terrible

UGH.

This is a HORRIBLE signing. We brought back our most "consistent" defender. And by "consistent" I mean most consistent in taking dumb hooking, slashing, and obstruction penalties, and penalties when we were already down a man. Rozsival easily took the most penalties when already shorthanded in the league. It's not even an argument. On top of that, he played soft, he had tons of defensive lapses that were saved by Marek Malik, and generated almost no offense while playing with Jagr for almost all of his shifts. There is no way that this is a good signing. This to me means that Leetch doesn't want to come back, and they're not able to get Vishnevsky.

We're screwed. I thought we'd take a step forward by getting Leetch or Vishnevsky and add an offensive presence or a physical defensive presence from the blueline, and neither or happened. Instead, we've resigned an instant pass to the penalty box good for 2 bad penalties a game and a turn over in the defensive zone.

Incredible, honestly, I want to punch Slats in the face for this one.

The Amity Affliction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:22 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

One more thing

Not to mention all of the times we've been scored on while we're on the man advantage because of Roseyballs bumbling with the puck at the point and turning it over for a breakaway.

The Amity Affliction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Richie Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
Although a number of my compatriots may disagree with me, I think this is a good signing for the Rangers and that his extremely high +/- and high ice time suggest he does contribute to this team in a possitive manner.
i would be +36 if i played with jagr

Richie Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:30 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Rozy is not the worst.

You wouldn't like bench Kasparaitis, would you?
You cannot compare Kasper's penalties to Rozsival's. Rozsival had nearly the same penalty amount, but virtually every one of them was for hooking or holding. Personally, I do not mind a mean penalty now and again. Plus, NO ONE took nearly as many penalties to put the team down two men as Rozsival. As stated, Rozsival gets beaten to the outside more often than a mule. In the past, he compensated by using his stick. Now, his lack of defensive abilities does not allow the hook to help him out.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:33 PM
94now

Quote:
If the Rangers offered him 3 years, $5.7MM as a starting point, it showed that they had interest.
It would be insulting to offer Rozsival less than Rachunek got. After all he has proven being a success story regardless of what people who can't forget the playoffs think.

THE SOONER ROZY AND OZO HATERS WILL FORGET THE PLAYOFFS THE BETTER VISION THEY WOULD DEMONSTRATE.

Rozsival is here to stay as long as Jarg is wearing blue. He is his D. Personal servant. Period. All the goals you want from offencive D JJ will score for him.

Old
08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
shoothepuck

Rozsival/Malik were a good combo. A 1 year deal isn't that hard to deal with, and he becomes the new Poti, if he keeps up his lazy penalties.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
You cannot compare Kasper's penalties to Rozsival's. Rozsival had nearly the same penalty amount, but virtually every one of them was for hooking or holding.
Kaspar was penalized mostly for same thing. His hits last season were clean with rare exceptions. As far as two men down I do not share the same recollections. Do you have any stats?

Old
08-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Levitate

Quote:

THE SOONER ROZY AND OZO HATERS WILL FORGET THE PLAYOFFS THE BETTER VISION THEY WOULD DEMONSTRATE.
Has nothing to do with the playoffs. Rozsival had a good stretch in the middle of the season that was bookended by some rather mediocre play. He's not horrible, but he's not great. He's not super on defense (regardless of his +/-...again it's not that he's horrible, but he's not great), he's not physical, he's not an offensive defenseman...

If he can play like he did in the middle of last season, then good deal. If he doesn't, then it's a rather "meh" situation.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Fletch

Rozsival had a career year...

I'm not sure it's insulting to offer a guy, who up until last year had played better, more money. Maybe I just don't believe that all contracts need to be based on a player's last season, without attention to what had been done previously.

I personally am not a Rozsival hater (Ozo's another story). I was pro-Rozsival when he was signed (my only negative being that I wouldn't like to have had one spot open in camp) - but I took off the +/- blinders to analyze his game a bit further throughout the season and there were a lot of deficiencies in his game and instead of getting better, he got worse. I would feel a lot better if Rozsival was on a second or third pair, where I believe he belongs.

Old
08-01-2006, 02:50 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
If he can play like he did in the middle of last season, then good deal.
Exactly. I think this is the approach Rangers is sticking to with every player on the roster. We should see good results of last year or even better this way. Don't forget Rozy still haven't had a breakout season. He might be due.

Old
08-01-2006, 02:52 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The thing that really bugs me about Rozsival's penalty minutes is how many times he took a second minor while the Rangers were already a man down. Has he learned his lesson? Or do we take him off the penalty kill? Doesn't seem likely considering how Renney kept him paired with Malik all year. Or is it possible that he makes Malik-Ward a PK pairing? Because Malik, Kasparaitis, Ward and Tyutin are all better penalty killers than Rozsival. Don't know about Rachunek.

NYR94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Exactly. I think this is the approach Rangers is sticking to with every player on the roster. We should see good results of last year or even better this way. Don't forget Rozy still haven't had a breakout season. He might be due.
what if last year was his breakout year and he gets hurt. Remember he had knee injuries in the past and the Rangers were pretty healthy despite alot of the Rangers played in the olympics, this year this is just the allstar game, I hope the rangers dont become the Kings or Flyers and have alot of injuries early on.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I'm with Fletch on this one.

I'm not a fan of Roszzival, but I don't hate him either.

If he's used in the right role, he's a good optionon the blueline.

And if it doesn't work out, in a year you walk away.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fletch

kaspar...

had a major and a game misconduct - right there you can knock off 15 minutes to present more of an apples to apples comparison. The rest is subjective without going through each penalty on the TV. Kaspar was penalized for weak calls because of reputation, but that's meaningless because a weak penalty is just as bad as a lazy penalty as it yields the same result. I'd venture to guess that Kaspar had a few more roughing penalties, maybe a elbow here and there, as compared to Rozsival. I'd also venture to guess he had a few more coincidental minors, thus he put his team down a man even more. I'd further venture to guess than Rozsival put his team down two men more often too, but that's also just a guess, but there is no stat. Part of it had to do with the law of averages, and Rozsival was on the ice for more PK minutes than Kaspar; couple that with a propensity for penalties, as Rozsival did lead his team in minors, one can infer that he did put his man down two men more often than others (again, it's an inference without the hard facts).

Old
08-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Fletch

What's a breakout season, 94?

last season was his best in terms of points, minutes, penalties, shots and +/-.

Old
08-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
I personally am not a Rozsival hater (Ozo's another story). I was pro-Rozsival when he was signed (my only negative being that I wouldn't like to have had one spot open in camp) - but I took off the +/- blinders to analyze his game a bit further throughout the season and there were a lot of deficiencies in his game and instead of getting better, he got worse. I would feel a lot better if Rozsival was on a second or third pair, where I believe he belongs.
I feel the same way, Fletch. I'm no Roszival fan but he's competent..Sometimes I hated him for his flaws and other times he made me eat my words with his solid play... For the most part, like Malik, I agree he might fare best NOT going against the other team's top weapons...Maybe with a healthy Kaspar, an improving Tyutin, a solid Ward, the rachunek that some think we have and maybe even another D-man being brought in, that is possible..We shall see

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Fletch

One thing I did like...

was he did try - when he gave away the puck, there was a second effort, and he was afraid to put his body in front of the shooter. Again, in a different role, I'd really like Rozsival.

Old
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
what if last year was his breakout year and he gets hurt. Remember he had knee injuries in the past .
Not trying being a doctor here, but when player is deemed to be injury prone, it usually implies muscular injuries. Joint injuries play its role as far as full recovery after surgery is concerned, but it is not much of the problem beyond that.
In baseball Beltran might be considered injury prone (hamstring) while Jeter (dislocated shoulder) is not. Bure and Klucek haven't recovered after joint injuries. Rozy is well beyond such concern at this time.

Old
08-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Fletch

I've never thought of Rozy...

as injury prone (although if I remember correctly, the guy has missed a good deal of time in his short NHL career), but once you get your first knee injury, you very often are more susceptible to future knee injuries and very often that knee tends to weaken/wear more than the other. I can't say if Rozy's are good, bad or indifferent, or if there's an immediate problem, but knee injuries often happen more than the initial injury (and his was pretty serious if I remember correctly).

Old
08-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Block More Shots

Not bad at all...only a year and he's a good serviceable defenseman.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote