HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Detroit new arena update; breaking ground before end of 2014

Old
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
RedWinger10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
I haven't been following this very closely, but are public funds expected to be used for this (other than the usual tax breaks)? If not, then it seems like a potentially great project for downtown Detroit, especially with the mixed-use aspect of it.
A lot of the information I have read states that the funding will come from both public and private funding. There are some that state one or the other. Most likely the arena will have some sort of involvement in public funds which sounds like a bad deal for the city of Detroit but the arena is looking like it will be built on the edge of the well developed downtown area and the crippled inner city area which should encourage rapid development around the area from local businesses as well as an inlet for outside interests looking to get into the area. This new arena could be better for the city of Detroit than some may think.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Well it could be a positive modern twist to the style of the city, no?
Glass, steel and Gehry are all last century.

A brick box is the new modern.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Wingsfan2965*

For the love of God don't make it something boring and typical.

This... This right here:

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Brodie
to the hall

...is an 80,000 seat track and field stadium that's fine in an ultramodern Asian capital but would be an architectural albatross in a largely cohesive brick and mortar Midwestern downtown district?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

I think Nationwide Arena is a good example of a new arena that is modern but fits into the context of its environment.

03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
yeah, the uppermost seats are the most expensive to build and bring in the least revenue. The only purpose they serve is to give an opportunity for lower-income fans and make ticket prices seem lower on average. Unfortunately, these are also the tickets most likely to get scooped up by scalpers to resell at an inflated value.

18,500 should be what they aim for IMO.
Do you realize that teams make money off of scalpers now? Not sure why this is a bad thing.

Azkals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
...is an 80,000 seat track and field stadium that's fine in an ultramodern Asian capital but would be an architectural albatross in a largely cohesive brick and mortar Midwestern downtown district?
Yeah. I was referring to the 80,000 seats and the fact that it was for track and field... Not the design and architecture... Yep.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I can't believe it would be energy-efficient to have that many windows in an NHL-sized hockey arena.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

When will the sketches be released?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:49 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I can't believe it would be energy-efficient to have that many windows in an NHL-sized hockey arena.
IIRC Pittsburgh's new arena has exterior glass, yet got some of the highest energy saving ratings possible for the building.

Double/triple pane glass, and lots of other interior efficient infrastructure. Including type of light bulbs, etc.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:19 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Do you realize that teams make money off of scalpers now? Not sure why this is a bad thing.
i'm just saying what's the point of building an extra 2000 cheap seats. They cost far more than the rest of the seats and bring in the least revenue. The only benefit is making cheaper seats available for 'the common fan', but that doesnt even happen, as i've seen firsthand in montreal where even bad seats habitually sell for 50bucks or more.

the 19000 or 20000 seat arena just doesnt make sense anymore.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Wingsfan2965*

If the cost to build the arena to seat those extra 2000 will never be regained during the lease then it makes sense... But if they're eventually gonna turn it into a profit then it makes sense.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:16 PM
schulzte

Building a smaller arena in this case is short-sighted. Hockey needs more fans, not less. People become fans of hockey by attending games, not by watching on TV. Those extra 2,000 nosebleed seats may not generate much arena revenue, but they will sell more jerseys and nourish a larger fan base as a whole. Clearly the Wings can sell 20,000 when they are winning; and not every market can count on that. The new arena capacity should absolutely reflect that. I also think the NCAA would love to have 20-21,000 seats to fill for Frozen Fours, a Women's Basketball Final Four, and Men's Basketball Regionals in Detroit.

schulzte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:34 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i'm just saying what's the point of building an extra 2000 cheap seats. They cost far more than the rest of the seats and bring in the least revenue. The only benefit is making cheaper seats available for 'the common fan', but that doesnt even happen, as i've seen firsthand in montreal where even bad seats habitually sell for 50bucks or more.

the 19000 or 20000 seat arena just doesnt make sense anymore.
Tell that to Montreal and Chicago.

Hell, I still think Montreal's arena should hold 60,000 indoor. Same to Toronto.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:38 PM
schulzte

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Tell that to Montreal and Chicago.

Hell, I still think Montreal's arena should hold 60,000 indoor. Same to Toronto.
I'll bet 7 or 8 years ago people were saying the United Center was too big. I think the Blackhawks are glad they have 20,000 seats now.

Last edited by schulzte: 03-15-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 10:26 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Any thoughts on how the Detroit emergency city manager fiasco might potentially impact this?

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
schulzte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Any thoughts on how the Detroit emergency city manager fiasco might potentially impact this?
It will probably speed things up. Detroit will now have a decent financial manager, mayor, and governor on the same page. The Red Wings may now get to deal with competent people, instead of the city council. The city council was worse than a joke and doing nothing but hindering development in the city, but now they are almost toothless. All they will do now is file nuisance lawsuits and restraining orders that will help no one.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 03-17-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: no self-promotion please, see Partner Program details
Old
03-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Brodie
to the hall

On the contrary, it probably eliminates any kind of city money that might have materialized. The EFM law is already incredibly controversial, having been struck down via referendum and then re-enacted by a lame duck legislature, with a new clause preventing another ballot measure. The application to Detroit is especially controversial, and the manager they've appointed is already having his personal finances skewered. If he turns around and hands money the city doesn't have over to Mike Illitch, the state GOP will have a lot to answer for at the polls next year.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:03 PM
RedWinger10

As for the design, it should be pretty spectacular. The architectural design firm hired to design it is the same one that designed the new Dallas cowboys stadium. It should be appealing to the eye as well as technological.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Brodie
to the hall

Illitch is known to think Nationwide is the nicest arena in the league, so don't expect ultramodern

Old
03-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Clowe Me

Would the Pistons move there, as well? And if not, what are the odds of them being sold and moved?

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:05 PM
danishh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Would the Pistons move there, as well? And if not, what are the odds of them being sold and moved?
I would bet no, at least in the next decade. That looked to be the plan when illitch was in on the pistons sale, but it is hard to imagine gores abandoning his arena and becoming a secondary tenant in illitch's new rink.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Yeah. I was referring to the 80,000 seats and the fact that it was for track and field... Not the design and architecture... Yep.
The point he was making would still stand. It'd still look terrible because that stadiums has that as an outside. You'd have to build that around the inner building to get that and it'd ruin the idea behind why they built that shell. It'd be too extravagant as well and look out of place.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
schulzte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
On the contrary, it probably eliminates any kind of city money that might have materialized. The EFM law is already incredibly controversial, having been struck down via referendum and then re-enacted by a lame duck legislature, with a new clause preventing another ballot measure. The application to Detroit is especially controversial, and the manager they've appointed is already having his personal finances skewered. If he turns around and hands money the city doesn't have over to Mike Illitch, the state GOP will have a lot to answer for at the polls next year.
The reviews on the city manager's past performance working for Chrysler and the District of Columbia have been good. His introductory press conference was solid. Some folks in the city of Detroit as well as the City Council are against the EM, but the smart money and people in this state agree its a good and overdue move. Things need to change immediately in that city to avoid bankruptcy. As far as the money piece, the GOP legislature and Downtown Development Authority already have a piece of funding worked out, about $12.8 million annually. That and the Olympia contribution should make it work.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...s_transit.html

Old
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Would the Pistons move there, as well?

Doubtful..although I'm sure some people would rather they reside downtown

Quote:
And if not, what are the odds of them being sold and moved?

Zero.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote