HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Latendresse watch thread

Old
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I would have no problem giving him another year of the same contract (2 mil with about half of that being performance bonuses)

If he can't get his fitness together after 2 years, then its time to break ties.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I would have no problem giving him another year of the same contract (2 mil with about half of that being performance bonuses)

If he can't get his fitness together after 2 years, then its time to break ties.
I don't think I risk it with Lats again potentially wasting a top 6 spot on a guy who hasn't worked his first year. I'm talking about this year, when we can get someone in UFA better than him.

Spezza
Turris
Michalek
(Ufa)
Silfverberg
Zibanejad
Alfredsson

Is how I see the top 6ish from here onwards.

Regardless, Lats is doing fine for the role he was brought in here to do. Be a secondary scorer to complement the 2nd line. On a top line with Turris as the center, Lats is gonna struggle like crazy. Even with Smith.

With Spezza gone not only does it add to Turris' workload but also with Michalek gone it makes Lats the go-to scorer and that ain't gun work at all especially with lack of creativity from his center(s).

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:54 AM
MoreGore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I don't think I risk it with Lats again potentially wasting a top 6 spot on a guy who hasn't worked his first year. I'm talking about this year, when we can get someone in UFA better than him.

Spezza
Turris
Michalek
(Ufa)
Silfverberg
Zibanejad
Alfredsson

Is how I see the top 6ish from here onwards.

Regardless, Lats is doing fine for the role he was brought in here to do. Be a secondary scorer to complement the 2nd line. On a top line with Turris as the center, Lats is gonna struggle like crazy. Even with Smith.

With Spezza gone not only does it add to Turris' workload but also with Michalek gone it makes Lats the go-to scorer and that ain't gun work at all especially with lack of creativity from his center(s).
I think he should be given another contract, at least from my perspective. Inside managment and the dressing room is another issue of course.

He is the type of player a team like Ottawa could use, big, goes to the crease and has the hands to do damage offensively.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

The Sens are getting closer to being legit challenger so the time for reclamation projects or stop gap measures are rapidly coming to a close.

Based on the current roster (incl. players on IR) there is one open spot available in the forward group and that is in the top six.

While Lats may be filling in that position now, I believe Murray has to make a deal/signing that provides a better alternative for Spezza.

IMO there is no purpose in signing Lats to play anywhere other than top six, and considering the Sens will have ~16 players vying for 7 spots in the bottom six there really is no need.

Of course a trade or two could reduce that number, but I can't see Lats playing a 4th line role or replacing Greening or Dizzy in the shutdown role.

But this is just my thinking.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 03-15-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post

So point production = looking good?

He had a bunch of chances in Winnipeg, and the two games against Florida. The goals or points haven't been there but he has looked good.

Let's point a the guy who barely played in the past 3 years and forget the fact that our scoring leader did not score in 21 games or that our best goal scorer is still a defenseman that hasn't played in a month.....
Where did I say he looked good because he scored?

I dont think you were watching the games you are talking about. He didnt look good in any of those games. He didnt produce, he wasnt engaging on the physical side of things, and he looked slow... really slow.

Just because he had a few weak attempts on net doesnt mean he played great.

I dont even see how you came to the conclusion that he looked good before the boston game.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

I would give him another contract if he keeps playing the way he has since he has been back from injury. Noticeable improvement. A bit more hustle, using the body and really nice hands. We don't exactly have a prospect waiting in the wings to take his spot with his ability next year. Would rather have Michalek and Latendresse on the left side than other options from within (unless we're moving Silfverberg over...but I imagine he's taking Alfie's spot).

Latendresse - Spezza - ??? (Perry, Ryder, Semin)
Michalek - Turris - Silfverberg
Greening - Zibanejad - Noesen/Stone
Kassian/Stone - Smith - Neil

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I would give him another contract if he keeps playing the way he has since he has been back from injury. Noticeable improvement. A bit more hustle, using the body and really nice hands. We don't exactly have a prospect waiting in the wings to take his spot with his ability next year. Would rather have Michalek and Latendresse on the left side than other options from within (unless we're moving Silfverberg over...but I imagine he's taking Alfie's spot).

Latendresse - Spezza - ??? (Perry, Ryder, Semin)
Michalek - Turris - Silfverberg
Greening - Zibanejad - Noesen/Stone
Kassian/Stone - Smith - Neil
I believe Alfie will be back next season, which is why I don't see Lats being here.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 03-15-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 05:43 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
The Sens are getting closer to being legit challenger so the time for reclamation projects or stop gap measures are rapidly coming to a close.

While Lats may be filling in that position now, I believe Murray has to make a deal/signing that provides a better alternative for Spezza.
We still will only be in year 3 of the 3 year rebuild next year unless the plan has changed, which it very will might have. I think reclamation projects still fit the plan.

Lats isn't a stop gap either. If he returns to that form he showed his good year in Minny, he is a player teams cream their pants over, as well as being exactly what we need.

Only Puempel, Zib, and possibly Silf have the goal scoring instincts Lats has in our pipeline.

Hes only 25(?) as well so he could possibly be here up to a decade if both parties wanted.

I just don't have faith in Ottawa getting one of the big fish this off-season. Its not impossible, but im not getting my hopes up, and wont be surprised if we strike out with Semin, Perry, etc.

Lats should be second priority...I agree in that facet, but I still would like him back.

Hopefully he matures a little more, and realizes theres no "off-season" in professional sports. It takes about 11-11.5 months of work to be the best.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
We still will only be in year 3 of the 3 year rebuild next year unless the plan has changed, which it very will might have. I think reclamation projects still fit the plan.

Lats isn't a stop gap either. If he returns to that form he showed his good year in Minny, he is a player teams cream their pants over, as well as being exactly what we need.

Only Puempel, Zib, and possibly Silf have the goal scoring instincts Lats has in our pipeline.

Hes only 25(?) as well so he could possibly be here up to a decade if both parties wanted.

I just don't have faith in Ottawa getting one of the big fish this off-season. Its not impossible, but im not getting my hopes up, and wont be surprised if we strike out with Semin, Perry, etc.

Lats should be second priority...I agree in that facet, but I still would like him back.

Hopefully he matures a little more, and realizes theres no "off-season" in professional sports. It takes about 11-11.5 months of work to be the best.
All good points, however the Sens showed interest in Nash after year one of the rebuild, so after a year where many of the kids are showing real promise, I think Murray will definitely be in there bidding.

That said, I agree Lats deserves the chance to show what he can bring over the last half of the season.

While he has looked OK since his return, it is worth noting MacLean has been implementing a trap which does slow the pace of the game.

Once Karlsson, Michalek and Spezza are back in the line-up, MacLean will revert to the up-tempo, puck possession, 200 foot game, a game that doesn't play to Lats strengths.

IMO for Lats to be back, he doesn't have to produce great numbers, but he does have to find a way to up the pace of his game.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
All good points, however the Sens showed interest in Nash after year one of the rebuild, so after a year where many of the kids are showing real promise, I think Murray will definitely be in there bidding.

That said, I agree Lats deserves the chance to show what he can bring over the last half of the season.

While he has looked OK since his return, it is worth noting MacLean has been implementing a trap which does slow the pace of the game.

Once Karlsson, Michalek and Spezza are back in the line-up, MacLean will revert to the up-tempo, puck possession, 200 foot game, a game that doesn't play to Lats strengths.

IMO for Lats to be back, he doesn't have to produce great numbers, but he does have to find a way to up the pace of his game.
They pretty much had him out there the whole PP in overtime along with Turris. I hope Lats gets his confidence back but really I expect more of him from now on.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Didn't Lats hit the post in OT last night? I think he's looked pretty good since coming back.

2 points in 3 games (1G 1A) +2, 7 shots and averaging 18 mins. Throwing the body pretty well for a guy just getting off whiplash.

Last edited by Cujomi: 03-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:17 PM
IranCondraAffair

He's at what...4 points in 10 games now if he doesn't get any more points today? He's finally heating up and we'll have 19 more games to see where he's at. If he continues to stay hot and ends up with...say...18-20 points in 29 games, I think a similar contract to last season is in order.

He's not really taking away a spot from a young guy if he's injured a lot. It's only really an issue if it causes a player to be lost on waivers. Next season we're going to likely lose Alfredsson. The season after that, we could potentially lose Michalek. I'm not saying that Latendresse is part of a core, but he's almost the same age as Gryba, so the idea that he wouldn't be a long term solution is silly.

He plays a different game that almost anyone else on our roster, and it shows. He's a bit of a cherry picker but he's the best player on our team for redirecting shots and he throws the body on the forecheck like nobody's business. If we lost Alfredsson next season there is no reason NOT to re-sign Latendresse. We'll have enough roster spots to accomodate the players we want.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:42 PM
mcnorth

Whether he fits into the 'style' of the team or not, I think there's plenty of room for a guy like Lats who has some offensive skill and is a big body. You can work with that - if you want him with Spezza you maybe put someone like Condra on the line who can take care of the D end of things, you know? I think he's fine and am already daydreamng about him shovelling in Spezza and EK's rebounds for 25 or 30 next season.

mcnorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
He's at what...4 points in 10 games now if he doesn't get any more points today? He's finally heating up and we'll have 19 more games to see where he's at. If he continues to stay hot and ends up with...say...18-20 points in 29 games, I think a similar contract to last season is in order.

He's not really taking away a spot from a young guy if he's injured a lot. It's only really an issue if it causes a player to be lost on waivers. Next season we're going to likely lose Alfredsson. The season after that, we could potentially lose Michalek. I'm not saying that Latendresse is part of a core, but he's almost the same age as Gryba, so the idea that he wouldn't be a long term solution is silly.

He plays a different game that almost anyone else on our roster, and it shows. He's a bit of a cherry picker but he's the best player on our team for redirecting shots and he throws the body on the forecheck like nobody's business. If we lost Alfredsson next season there is no reason NOT to re-sign Latendresse. We'll have enough roster spots to accomodate the players we want.
He also makes space for other guys just by drawing attention and causing a ruckus.

I agree with your thinking about a similar contract next year so long as he keeps bringing it. But something tells me that if he does keep up this play he may end up snagging a 2yr deal or something. Don't know why, but I see Murray doing that.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

2 goals in 3 games, no?

Not bad..

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:59 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
He also makes space for other guys just by drawing attention and causing a ruckus.

I agree with your thinking about a similar contract next year so long as he keeps bringing it. But something tells me that if he does keep up this play he may end up snagging a 2yr deal or something. Don't know why, but I see Murray doing that.
You pose an interesting conundrum, but let's make it worse.

Imagine if Latendresse, after some respectable numbers, decides he wants to be part of the Sens future and asks for a 3 year commitment? He likes Ottawa, his family situation is good, and the team likes him. Should the Senators make a mid-term commitment to Lats with only a partial season of success. For this example, we'll imagine that Alfredsson is gone and waivers for prospects is not an issue for at least one season,.

Obviously, given his injury history it's a risk. But is it a deal breaker?

2 years at 2 million (with incentives) isn't an outrageous price and I think Murray would make the commitment....but 3 years? He's still young. He's played a lot of NHL games for his age, despite injuries.

This is all some pretty big conjecture at this point however. We'll need to see him put up a lot more points before it becomes an issue. I don't think he'll be asking for anything long term if he can't even put up 15 points. However it's something to consider.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
2 goals in 3 games, no?

Not bad..
Blew that last one right by Pavelec.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Looked real good today.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
You pose an interesting conundrum, but let's make it worse.

Imagine if Latendresse, after some respectable numbers, decides he wants to be part of the Sens future and asks for a 3 year commitment? He likes Ottawa, his family situation is good, and the team likes him. Should the Senators make a mid-term commitment to Lats with only a partial season of success. For this example, we'll imagine that Alfredsson is gone and waivers for prospects is not an issue for at least one season,.

Obviously, given his injury history it's a risk. But is it a deal breaker?

2 years at 2 million (with incentives) isn't an outrageous price and I think Murray would make the commitment....but 3 years? He's still young. He's played a lot of NHL games for his age, despite injuries.

This is all some pretty big conjecture at this point however. We'll need to see him put up a lot more points before it becomes an issue. I don't think he'll be asking for anything long term if he can't even put up 15 points. However it's something to consider.
I hear you. It's a really tough call to make. He's 25, so only just nearing the "prime years," but he's also too young to be certain if he's injury prone or just unlucky so far.

It gets tougher because, if he plays well until season's end, we'll be interested, but then so will other teams. He'll then have that added ability to say that other teams may want him for a longer term.

But yes, long term conjecture. Personally I wouldn't have a problem making a 2 year gamble if he's consistent (and healthy), but 3 would be a real hard sell.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:28 PM
SensontheRush
Rik Rondra

I honestly don't see why we would let him walk.

Kids are looking for a place in the lineup? They can earn it then.

SensontheRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:39 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Let's re-sign him for another year. Absolutely nothing to lose unless he expects a long contract, which I doubt. He seems to enjoy being in Ottawa.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

And great to see one of Murray's trademark gambles pay off. It's too early to call it an unquestionable success, but so far so good.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Gil Gunderson

He had his best game as a Sen today.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:52 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Let's re-sign him for another year. Absolutely nothing to lose unless he expects a long contract, which I doubt. He seems to enjoy being in Ottawa.
honestly who else is going to be interested? The whole point of this contract was so he could:
a) prove he could stay healthy
b) prove he could return to montreal/minnesota form
c) be close to his kid, but not actually in montreal where he was run out of town

well, he hasnt proven he can stay healthy. the past few games have been good, but he's still nowhere close to his original level. And ottawa hasnt moved any further away from montreal, and no teams have moved closer to montreal.

I expect guy to re-up on a similar contract (under 2m, 1yr). And try this whole thing again next year.

03-17-2013, 07:57 PM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

^ That sounds quite reasonable. My only thinking is that if he proves it to us this year, he proves it to the rest of the league, too. But he does seem to enjoy it here, and I don't see a Lats sweepstakes scenario playing out anytime soon.