HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ye Old Yule Tidings

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 07:47 PM
OYLer

vCash: 500
Ye Old Yule Tidings

Casey Stengel often reflected: “Most games are lost, not won.” When players commit too many errors, games get lost fast. Of course, when teammates miss too many opportunities, games just can’t be won either. Yes it’s that old sporting reality at its YingYang worst: When a team just can’t get up enough to win, because their losing ways keep dragging the players down, then befuddlement puzzles more the contradiction. The faster the wheels-within-the-wheels spin the more quickly out of control they go. A steady vision, a strong stomach, and a light but firm hand needs to take control, stay the focus, quell the nausea, and level out that gyroscope gone cockeyed.

This duality that simultaneously conjoins, mistake riddled performance with playmaking that exhibits no finish, should cause some real concern. But when this combined pattern of poor play goes on display, too frequently, for too long, then things get to be downright troubling. Failure, building on itself over time, can further confound that contradiction that slumps, do in fact, begin to feed on themselves. And so wimpy point shots careen off of the opponents' shinpads and results in odd man rushes against, where goals get given up! More misdeeds get compounded by yet more missed deeds—if you will.

Then when the cruel fates throws-up those nasty bounces and heartburn sets in, it’s no wonder that some diehard Copper faithful starts-in to singing dem Blues: “If it wasn’t for bad luck, we’d have no luck at all!”

However, like opportunities lost, errors can be identified as either random or systemic in nature. Too many missed cues, means the director is not getting the job done. When catcalls replace the curtain calls and all the bad actors get boxed—change is definitely way passed due. They say the better teams make their own good breaks, plus there’s always that madding Catch 22, ‘ya gotta be lucky, to be good, and be good, to be lucky.’ Logic dictates that a long string of bad luck can’t last forever. Still the Oilers continue to commit the same mistakes, defying even the long odds. Add-in the players’ seeming inability to convert opportunity into success and even positive chance prediction becomes defiled by unforced silly errors. Perhaps there is too much player try getting over-coached?

In combination, this double whammy of missed and mis-deeds, conspires to reduce the team’s confidence, just as these shortcomings diminish the team’s capacity for fault tolerance. Scoring 3 while giving up 2 still ends in 1 win. Losing twice in a row 0 – 3 to that same C-team just punctuates the problem, as those who are paying the freight boo for their money’s worth! Perhaps a lateral movement could realign a shift in coaching responsibilities? When GM’s retake the reigns the horses sometimes begin pulling in the same direction. That power has been noticeably present in CowTown.

When viewed graphically over time, for too long now, confused lines have descended towards failure resisting even random improvement. And yes, good intentions do often line that crocked descending fairway towards hockey’s Hades, where foursomes group-up to make individual club footing about more tolerable. After all, misery does love company—right? Then one begins to wonder, if for some the hook & draw executed on some luxurious golf links, might have even more appeal, then those painfully demanding springtime playoff rinks?

Poetically Alexander Pope opined, "To err is human; to forgive, divine." So in the spirit of the season, we (the better half plus me) extend to one and all, our best wishes. May you have a happy Holiday Season and enjoy a prosperous and happy New Year. But this long time fan continues to hope that, ‘if to err continues to be human; then to correct, just a little, might do just fine.’

Last edited by OYLer: 12-21-2003 at 09:48 PM.
Old
12-21-2003, 10:08 PM
OYLer

Now deemed fit enough to read!

Please note it is never a good idea to try and read my somewhat complicated prose until I have edited out most of the errors. This usually means I have to post and come back to fix the errors I miss initially. I would apologize for having to post with errors but my self-editing skills leave a great deal to be desired!

I write for the fun and pleasure of it, and as a way too excercise that smallish muscle between my ears. I've now decide this piece has sweated enough fun from my critical cranium.

Old
12-23-2003, 07:26 AM
oilflash

Excellent post OYLer, always fun to read a piece that is a little different and makes you think a bit.

Wishing you and everyone else on the board has an excellent Xmas and a splendid new year.

Also hoping that Santa leaves the Oil a playoff spot (even 8th will do) under the bench--along with a good draft pick!

Closed Thread