HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
Why is Warriner waxing poetic about Trocheck getting the points lead? I can't stand Warriner. He's like the anti-homer, he seems to dislike the Spits, always favoring the opposition.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Good riddance to that clown!

And shame on Boughner for letting it happen. What's sad is that is wasn't the first time this crap has happened and there was no message sent.
He jumped into the bench at Saginaw for one suspension, he had a second suspension for an instigator I believe, throw in the suspension by the Spits for some indiscretions off the ice and he topped it off today. You wonder why people think the Spits lack maturity and leadership? Look no further than Emerson Clark.

Old
03-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
He jumped into the bench at Saginaw for one suspension, he had a second suspension for an instigator I believe, throw in the suspension by the Spits for some indiscretions off the ice and he topped it off today. You wonder why people think the Spits lack maturity and leadership? Look no further than Emerson Clark.
But it's only a matter of time before we hear how "important" he is to the dressing room and how "valuable" he is on the ice and how he "protects" our skilled players...

Old
03-17-2013, 03:58 PM
massey

Quote:
But it's only a matter of time before we hear how "important" he is to the dressing room and how "valuable" he is on the ice and how he "protects" our skilled players...
Sorry missed it.What did he do.thanks

Old
03-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Sorry missed it.What did he do.thanks
Went after a Plymouth guy towards the end and got a 2,5,10,GM package.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:40 PM
OHLTG

The Clark stuff doesn't surprise me, but doesn't amuse me, either. I figured he'd go out with a bang, but at least pick someone who's willing. Noeson of all people?? I would have been happy if his fight with Sills was the ending...great tilt, got the win, got the crowd into it.

Libbs - I've said the value when talking about Bilcke. What Clark did today was idiotic and I won't deny that. It was as bad as Bowen essentially begging Malysa to go.

The game started off alright - about what we expected. Close, some physical play, and both teams caring. As it went on, though, Windsor's desire dropped and the rough stuff started. I thought it'd spill over once Ho-Sang was hit awkwardly into the boards, but nothing serious came of that (other than Heard telling Percy something about "I'll $%%$ you up!").

I'm not sure what happened with Bowen/Rychel/Malysa. Was it Malysa that hit Ho-Sang originally? Bowen did everything he could to get Malysa to go, including punch, face-wash, stalking, etc. Rychel asked him off a draw later and got turned down.

On the other side of the coin...

Props to Trocheck for winning the scoring title. The Whalers' bench went crazy when he scored, and I had no idea what was happening. Credit where it's due.

On the same note, after the game, Bilcke went over to congratulate him, too. A few of the guys were hugging by the benches. Serious respect, if nothing else.

It's certainly going to be weird not being at the rink for the next few months. Very bittersweet seeing how it all ended.

From the look/sound of it, Koko is not returning. He was one of the players given a "star" at the end of the game, along with Aleardi and Clark. Though, they didn't say thank you to him for his time in Windsor, so...

Old
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
big papa

According to Jim Parker on twitter @winstarparker Aleardi signed a tryout with Springfield, Vail will join Hamilton while Khokhlachev will join Providence Tuesday and Ebert will join Onatario Reign of the ECHL tuesday.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Ottomatic

Good news on Aleardi - kid is good enough to play pro somewhere.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:41 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
The funny thing is that stuff has the exact opposite effect. If anything when Clark goes after a guy like Noesen that puts a huge target on the back of guys like Rychel, Vail, Ho-Sang etc..

Old
03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Good news on Aleardi - kid is good enough to play pro somewhere.
Agree was just telling m friend at the game i could see Him getting signed to a tryout but and AHL team if not at least and ECHL team, Hopefully playing in the ECHL will give Ebert a wake up call i mean to be assigned to and ECHL team instead if the Kings AHL team not to mention he was already picked last overall

Old
03-17-2013, 06:11 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Went after a Plymouth guy towards the end and got a 2,5,10,GM package.
Nothing but a very selfish player. He'll probably get a tryout in an Oshawa beer league and cheap shot the referee........Gone but not forgotten.. Wonder if he's any relation to Jeff Kugel? He was a charmer back in the day....

Old
03-17-2013, 06:13 PM
RayzorIsDull

Grades for players

Johnson C+ Didn't progress as people thought, still a 2nd half player didn't really do much for the first 34

Rychel B- Nice year back to back 40 goal season, still lacks desire to backcheck

Clark F Didn't bring anything to this team, lacked maturity and leadership

Aleardi A He was a gift to the Spits at the deadline and a nice gift at that. Wish he was back next year but he did his job with Windsor

Khokhlachev A similar to comments with Aleardi. If they had Khokhlachev all year they probably would still be playing hockey

Bilcke D+ Doesn't bring a lot to the table. Didn't score a single goal, doesn't skate that well and fits in the mold of too many muckers and grinders and not enough skill

Verbeek C+ Not a bad season, needs to show more touch around the night and keep his head screwed on straight and stay focused

Studnicka D Needs to bring more to the table another mucker and grinder who doesn't have much upside as a top 6

Giftopolous B+ Provided a boost, some grinding capabilities and consistency should be a valuable OA

Ho-Sang B+ toughest one to grade because he showed some skill the Hall comparisons were quite poor imo. Has a terrific shot but rarely uses it, needs to use teammates more. Still a productive year as a 16 year old not sold on him being a centerpiece player

Vail C+ Didn't make the strides people thought. Was a good teammate moving back to D but before that went through a slump of 3g in 27 games when he was actually at forward

Marchese D Soft, won't go to dirty areas, won't back check. He's a poacher

Defense

Murphy D- Good offense capabilities, extremely poor in his own zone though one of the worst players in his own zone I can remember

Sieloff B- A rock in his own zone, dependable needs to get healthy

Ebert C+ Looked solid when the team didn't have injuries, played the full 68 games and showed durability but too many minutes caught up to him

Bateman C- Bad before Christmas, seemed to turn the corner the last month or so still a lot of work to do

Sanvido C- Not a bad rookie year, still question his agility and skating abilities

McNaughton F Not a good OHL defenseman

Bowen INC
Koekkoekk INC
Percy INC

Goaltending
Pavelka C- Average/below average OHL goalie. Some good games but fell apart in December up to the end of the year

DeKort C- Didn't play well enough, organization didn't do him many favors though

Coaching F
General Manager F

Those 2 might be harsh but certainly deserving, inconsistency has plagued the team the past 2 years. Rychel waited too long to address the issues. Coaching needs a shake up

Old
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Didn't score a single goal
Not true. He scored in Barrie, but, for some reason, they gave the goal to someone else (I want to say Studnicka). Even the players on the ice said Ty had scored, but they wouldn't change it back. We've never figured out why.

Quote:
Didn't make the strides people thought. Was a good teammate moving back to D but before that went through a slump of 3g in 27 games when he was actually at forward
Vail had more points than last year, and was on D for probably 15 games? Tough to improve a whole lot, either offensively or defensively, when you're in a situation like that.

Quote:
DeKort C- Didn't play well enough, organization didn't do him many favors though
Well enough for whom? Stats prove he did well for a rookie.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:27 PM
WhalerBlue

I have a few questions about your team going forward. I do not know all of your draft picks for this years draft so go easy on me.
1. Are your three 93's good enough and have enough leadership that you expect them to be your OA's next year?
2. Do you expect that you will be trading away draft picks or moving up in the draft via trade(s)?
3. Which area(s) of your game need the most improvement and how do you fix the problem (short and long term)?
4. Do you expect any changes in the coaching? Not specifically Bob Boughner, but others.
5. How many picks do you have in this years European draft?

I only ask because it would seem that this might be a serious rebuilding that is about to take place in about 90 days.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
I have a few questions about your team going forward. I do not know all of your draft picks for this years draft so go easy on me.
1. Are your three 93's good enough and have enough leadership that you expect them to be your OA's next year?
2. Do you expect that you will be trading away draft picks or moving up in the draft via trade(s)?
3. Which area(s) of your game need the most improvement and how do you fix the problem (short and long term)?
4. Do you expect any changes in the coaching? Not specifically Bob Boughner, but others.
5. How many picks do you have in this years European draft?

I only ask because it would seem that this might be a serious rebuilding that is about to take place in about 90 days.
1. 93's are Khokhlachev, Percy, Giftopolous, Pavelka. The only one back as an OA will be Giftopolous. Khokhlachev will be in the AHL, Pavelka the notion of him returning has to be stopped he won't return. The organization said they will be looking for OA's so that should tell you something.

2. Business as usual no 1st rounder but they do have a 2,3, and 4.

3. Every area needs to be addressed and can be improved on imo.

4. Boughner said no but assistant Bob Jones still needs to have a contract extension done so maybe he looks around.

5. Windsor will have 2 top 20 import selections to help things.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
hockeyboy4

so it looks like windsor is going to have the 15th pick in the import draft and the 18th is that correct?

Old
03-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
so it looks like windsor is going to have the 15th pick in the import draft and the 18th is that correct?
The OHL picks 2nd right?

That would mean Windsor would have the 12th and 21st.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Spitzman

Isn't it 11 and 20?

Old
03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitzman View Post
Isn't it 11 and 20?
It all depends on where the OHL picks (I'm not sure) but there is a difference of 9 spots between our pick and the Niagara pick.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
hockeyboy4

ohl picked 3rd last year wouldn't that mean ohl picks 1st this year?

Old
03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Not true. He scored in Barrie, but, for some reason, they gave the goal to someone else (I want to say Studnicka). Even the players on the ice said Ty had scored, but they wouldn't change it back. We've never figured out why.

Vail had more points than last year, and was on D for probably 15 games? Tough to improve a whole lot, either offensively or defensively, when you're in a situation like that.

Well enough for whom? Stats prove he did well for a rookie.
He scored 0 goals, you can talk about him getting one but he didn't. It isn't any different than Sanvido in Sarnia earlier this year but he has 0 as well.

Aren't you the same guy who criticized me for only looking at points? Vail played better last year imo. He has a real good shot and utilized it a lot last year. He didn't utilize it as much this year and that's not good.

Well enough to get drafted in his draft eligible year. You wanted his stats compared to other 1st year guys, guys around the same age.

Fotinos 3.26gaa .897 sv%
Graham 2.59gaa .922 sv%
Moran 4.26gaa .872 sv% (16 year old)
Blair 5.08gaa .868 sv%
Giugovaz 3.81gaa .896 sv%
Ndjelkovic spectacular stats speak for themself
DeKort 4.34gaa .883 sv%

Fotinos, Graham, Ndjelkovic are all clearly ahead of DeKort. You have to give the edge to Giugovaz as well. DeKort is better than Blair, maybe Moran but he was 16 this year and had a better gaa compared to DeKort. I like DeKort but he wasn't good this year.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
He scored 0 goals, you can talk about him getting one but he didn't. It isn't any different than Sanvido in Sarnia earlier this year but he has 0 as well.

Aren't you the same guy who criticized me for only looking at points? Vail played better last year imo. He has a real good shot and utilized it a lot last year. He didn't utilize it as much this year and that's not good.

Well enough to get drafted in his draft eligible year. You wanted his stats compared to other 1st year guys, guys around the same age.

Fotinos 3.26gaa .897 sv%
Graham 2.59gaa .922 sv%
Moran 4.26gaa .872 sv% (16 year old)
Blair 5.08gaa .868 sv%
Giugovaz 3.81gaa .896 sv%
Ndjelkovic spectacular stats speak for themself
DeKort 4.34gaa .883 sv%

Fotinos, Graham, Ndjelkovic are all clearly ahead of DeKort. You have to give the edge to Giugovaz as well. DeKort is better than Blair, maybe Moran but he was 16 this year and had a better gaa compared to DeKort. I like DeKort but he wasn't good this year.
To give a little perspective re DeKort,in Windsor"s 1st 34 games his GAA was 3.23,with the team missing 8 man games to injury,while in in the last half his ave was over 4.70 with the team missing 119 games due to injury including 2 of the best D
for significant amounts of time,huge factor re his higher numbers,which is the real DeKort,an injury free team playing tight because they cant score,or a higher scoring team who cant defend well enough because of ravaged group
No doubt at times he and Pavelka should have played better but there extenuating
circumstances

Old
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
krazy kanuck

I'm at Rexall tonight watching the Oilers / Preds. Interesting to watch Hall go up against Ellis (both wearing #4). Hall can do what he dd in junior at this level. Ellis can't. What used to be his plus skill sets are just average here, and his lack of size is noticeable.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
To give a little perspective re DeKort,in Windsor"s 1st 34 games his GAA was 3.23,with the team missing 8 man games to injury,while in in the last half his ave was over 4.70 with the team missing 119 games due to injury including 2 of the best D
for significant amounts of time,huge factor re his higher numbers,which is the real DeKort,an injury free team playing tight because they cant score,or a higher scoring team who cant defend well enough because of ravaged group
No doubt at times he and Pavelka should have played better but there extenuating
circumstances
I guess we will see if the scouts can see through that. They are knowledgeable people and if they were impressed he should still get drafted. Not sure he was good enough to get drafted though.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Ottomatic

Does the import picks go to non-playoff teams first? Because we end up with the 4th OHL pick, which would be 11th. But we end up with more points than Erie, Ottawa, Petes, Mississauga and Kingston.

It's also crappy that import picks can't be traded now - so we can't try and move up, but I guess it also means a team couldn't leap frog us line London did last year. I don't understand this rule though, because some teams can't afford to bring players over, but could trade their pick for some return, now they have to pass if they don't want to use their pick.

Closed Thread