Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
DP!!!!! I can't believe it! I didn't see any of it but I hope he crushes Rafa tomorrow.
dang, you really hate Nadal lmao

anyways, congrats to DP, did not see that one coming, have to automatically cheer for him because of my Argentinian relatives, but I like Nadal, won't be mad if he loses though, he's done well

Old
03-16-2013, 10:23 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
dang, you really hate Nadal lmao

anyways, congrats to DP, did not see that one coming, have to automatically cheer for him because of my Argentinian relatives, but I like Nadal, won't be mad if he loses though, he's done well
I used to like him but I'm sick of him whining that the courts should be clay and that players should have lots of time between serves. Those things only suit him but he makes it sound like they're for the betterment of the game.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:55 AM
kihei

vCash: 4575
Quote:
I used to like him but I'm sick of him whining that the courts should be clay and that players should have lots of time between serves. Those things only suit him but he makes it sound like they're for the betterment of the game.
...and he beats you-know-who a lot. Gotta be at least a teensy factor in your low opinion of him, no?

Old
03-17-2013, 01:24 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
...and he beats you-know-who a lot. Gotta be at least a teensy factor in your low opinion of him, no?
Honestly, no, in fact I liked him when they were at the peak of their rivalry. I loved the contrast in styles and that they were both such great embassadors of the game. It's not often that 2 people who are 1 and 2 in something also get along. But the whining in the past couple of years has really turned me off.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Roger whines, too. But of course, that's fine with you.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
Of course there is Djokovic who basically agrees with everything Nadal says right after Nadal says it.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:24 PM
kihei

1st set: Maria comes out all guns blazing and wins 8 of the first 9 points, but Caroline comes back impressively to keep things from getting too far out of hand, 2-1, Maria up a break. Both women have played some terrific tennis already, just not at the same time. ...Sharapova is really clobbering the ball and Wozniacki has her hands full getting some of the strokes back...Maria, continuing all set to wail away on just about every single shot, gets the second break for 5-2...Maria goes down 15-40 and then hits four straight bombs for the set, 6-2. She looked great in that set, unbeatable.

2nd set: not surprisingly, Maria starts with a break...now 3-1 as Sharapova continues to hit winners at will...Wozniacki works hard and manages to hold for 3-2, a second break would have been fatal. Maria began overhitting a bit in that game, so there is a tiny glimmer of hope for Caroline....winners 30 to 2 in favour of Sharapova as she goes 4-2...hit-a-winner, make-an-error pattern for Maria in this game but she gets the second break for 5-2. Poor Caroline fights hard, but she just can't gain control of many points...and Maria holds at love for the match. 33 outright winners in 16 games. One of the most dominant performance of the year; in fact, it may be the dominant performance of the year.

Last edited by kihei: 03-17-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 04:11 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Roger also does a lot of work for the players that actually helps low ranked players. Rafa doesn't. And Roger sulks which annoys me greatly but I still think he's a far better sport than Rafa.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:31 PM
kihei

1st set: Quick break for Rafa, now 3-0. So far Juan Martin is not posing much of a problem of any kind...Juan Martin almost goes down a second break, but gets the important hold, 3-1...Del Potro finds the range on his groundstrokes and gets a break, suddenly what looked like a rout has become a match, 3-3 as Del Potro has won 13 of the last 17 points...and now dominating from the baseline Juan Martin gets a second break and will be serving for the set at 5-4. He is a totally different player now than the one who started the match. Amazing....what a great game--Juan Martin goes up 40-love and Rafa claws back to 40-30 with wonderful play from both players; finally in another scintillating point, Del Potro takes the set. From 0-3, 15-40 on his serve, Del Potro completely turned this match around. Now it is up to Rafa to take the momentum back.

2nd set: Nadal looks glum, Del Potro stays red hot and that equals an early break for Juan Martin, 1-0...Nadal picks it up a notch, but still doesn't get the break, 2-0...finally after Juan Martin wins an amazing first point, his concentration dips briefly and Rafa takes advantage for the break, 3-3....and Rafa holds easily as the momentum seems to have shifted once again, 4-3 with what could be a very challenging service game coming up for Del Potro...a tired looking Juan Martin and an energized Nadal lead to a break and now Rafa is serving for the second set at 5-3....Nadal ends a love game with an ace and takes the set, 6-3.

3rd set: Nadal is so incredibly tenacious on big points and so focused when he sees even the tiniest opportunity that I can't imagine Del Potro wresting the match away from him now even though he did just that in the first set....Del Potro looking totally spent saves three breaks points and somehow manages to win an incredible game to hold serve. He had five forehand winners in that game, a couple of them grazing the net, 1-0. Rafa is looking for the kill, though, and appears way fresher....Rafa takes less than a minute and a half to hold, 1-1...Rafa keeps the pressure on with excellent shot making and eventually Juan Martin makes some key unforced errors, 2-1; Rafa now has an iron grip on the match....Juan Martin looks like he might threaten but some tired shots scuttle what was only a glimmer of an opportunity anyway, 3-1....and, with Rafa conserving energy, a love hold for Del Potro brings it to 3-2....powerful and precise love game from Rafa, 4-2...another love hold for 5-3...somehow Del Potro ekes out a hold for 5-4...and Rafa serves it out, a set that really wasn't as close as the score indicates.

Last edited by kihei: 03-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Roger also does a lot of work for the players that actually helps low ranked players. Rafa doesn't. And Roger sulks which annoys me greatly but I still think he's a far better sport than Rafa.

Disagree with the last part. Rafa accepts losses better.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

That second set turned around in a hurry. Delpo was serving for a 4-2 lead, and then Nadal just went ape **** and won 17 of the last 22 points to win it 6-3.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

lol what a horrible shot from Del Potro

Old
03-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Delpo has no inside-out forehand whatsoever.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Well I can honestly say I am very surprised to see Nadal win this tournament. Props to him. I won't pick him to win Miami but I guess you never know.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Well I can honestly say I am very surprised to see Nadal win this tournament. Props to him. I won't pick him to win Miami but I guess you never know.
A) Its not over
B) Nadal isn't playing in Miami

Old
03-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
A) Its not over
B) Nadal isn't playing in Miami
Yeah I got ahead of myself at 0-40.

And, oh yeah.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

New number 4!

Old
03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

AND title #53.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Also surpassed Roger on the all-time ATP 1000 title list with 22.

Roger isn't playing in Miami.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:51 PM
kihei

Win-win situation for both players. Nadal wins with authority on hard courts and ahead of schedule. Del Potro proves that he can play with anyone. Maybe a little better conditioning and mental toughness is all he needs to break into the top four. I think the most impressive thing about this week, in addition to Gulbis' nice run, was Rafa's determination. He just will not let go of a match. Now I wonder how those knees feel....he certainly wasn't favouring them in any match I saw, so that's good news, let's hope.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Do top players get penalized for skipping a 1000 event (unless it's an injury)?

Old
03-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Do top players get penalized for skipping a 1000 event (unless it's an injury)?
Probably, but since it happens all the time it can't be that much.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:08 PM
kihei

Well, I hope David enjoyed his brief stay at #4. Even he must feel like order has been restored to the universe.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
New number 4!
Looking at the rankings whoever won the match would have moved up a spot, as it is DelPo closed the spread between 6 and 7.

And Nadal will be falling back in to 5th just by pulling out of Miami.

Miami qualifiers start today. Only Canadian involved is Dancevic, his match against Kenny De Schepper is third on Court 7, Matches start at 10 am EDT today.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post

Miami qualifiers start today. Only Canadian involved is Dancevic, his match against Kenny De Schepper is third on Court 7, Matches start at 10 am EDT today.
Yup

Quote:
Tennis Canada ‏@Tennis_Canada

Dancevic vs De Schepper in the 1st rd of #SonyOpenTennis qualies tomorrow. Bouchard, Levine, Raonic & Wozniak in the main draw. #CdnTennis
This will be Wozniak's first tournament in a while coming off injury. Hopefully she can pick up where she left off because she was playing well.

The rest of the Canadians are playing the challenger in Rimouski. Pospisil is the defending champ, so he has those points to defend.

Closed Thread