HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The good thing if we make the playoffs

Old
03-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Islander Prophet

vCash: 500
The good thing if we make the playoffs

Yes, it's starting to look like we might have a chance!!!

THIS IS THE YEAR BABY I CAN FEEL IT

but anyways, the good thing if we do end up making the playoffs (I'm guessing we would be around 6-8th spot) is that the home ice advantage the other team will have won't make much of difference since we are playing so good on the road. I know it's early, but it's still cool to know that we might have a decent shot at winning the series even though we are like 7th seed just because the home ice advantage will be cancelled (if not reversed)..

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:07 AM
YearlyLottery

I agree it does look like we have a chance. I would think that we are better than the Leafs this year and with them on a 5 game losing streak we should be able to jump them.

The only team I'm not confident playing first round are the Bruins. But if we make the playoffs I could care less.

YearlyLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:17 AM
StrongIslanders90

playoffs are a different animal...we will most likley be going against a #1-2 seed who has been there before.....Most ofour guys have never played a playoff game in th NHL....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Sparksrus3

I am getting my islander towels out from the Buffalo series in 07. They still wave like the day I got them

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
The Isles collapsed last night to a Panthers lineup that is on life support, I just don't see the Isles making the playoffs, especially without Strait.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OpAck

Isles need the points now. 20 games remaining...and the final 8 games are going to be quite a challenge. @Boston, Rangers, Panthers (technically the easier of the games)...then the final 5 games on the road (@TOR, @WPG, @CAR, @PHI, @BUF). You've got to figure, "Well, the Isles have played well on the road, compared to at home". BUT, 4 of these 5 teams could very well be in the playoff race and it could be quite the playoff game atmosphere in those buildings...you never know what could happen. Isles have points in 6 of their last 7 games (5-1-1), so it's definitely a good trend.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:18 AM
jdr016

People will use making the playoffs as a measuring stick for a successful season. But, truth is, this team has already shown improvement with a handful of intriguing prospects on the way. So, in my opinion, the team is moving in the right direction. My two major concerns are...

-- Key players that are aging. (Nabakov, Streit, Visnovsky) Even if we resign them, how many more years could they really give us?

-- Key players not developing their games. (Okposo, Bailey) Two top 10 picks that were rushed and are getting outplayed by fourth and fifth round picks!

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:23 AM
LAIslanderFan

When you've been an Islander fan (and a Jet fan) as long as I have, you tend to be a skeptic. I'm not getting my hopes up until they start printing playoff tickets.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:24 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
People will use making the playoffs as a measuring stick for a successful season. But, truth is, this team has already shown improvement with a handful of intriguing prospects on the way. So, in my opinion, the team is moving in the right direction. My two major concerns are...

-- Key players that are aging. (Nabakov, Streit, Visnovsky) Even if we resign them, how many more years could they really give us?

-- Key players not developing their games. (Okposo, Bailey) Two top 10 picks that were rushed and are getting outplayed by fourth and fifth round picks!
Agreed with the progress. We just need to learn to have a killer instinct. Unfortunately that won't happen under Fred Flinstone's watch.

Personally I don't care where they were drafted. Cizikas is impressing me more than our higher picks by far. Hey Nino, watch Casey and learn how to play the game right.

Hopefully Okposo will get his head out of his rear and play like we've seen in the past.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:51 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
I am getting my islander towels out from the Buffalo series in 07. They still wave like the day I got them
I thought those were all thrown at the referees who were awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The Isles collapsed last night to a Panthers lineup that is on life support, I just don't see the Isles making the playoffs, especially without Strait.
While it's bad that they did let in 3 goals against verses the Panthers, it is important to note that they did come back and win. They dominated the game for most of it, and learning how to overcome adversity is part of the growing process.

The playoff experience/atmosphere of just being in the hunt or actually getting in will do this team wonders. It will be the first time they see what it takes and means to be a playoff team. It's definitely a different beast and it should motivate the guys to play better during the regular season.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:18 PM
scott99

IF (the biggest little word in the English language) they make the playoffs, just getting a couple of games in the Coliseum, and getting a couple games in the playoffs for Tavares, Moulson, Hamonic, Cizikas and all the other young Islanders would mean so much for those kids, win or lose.

I also think it would mean a lot towards getting Nabokov and Visnofsky to resigning with the team. Just being in the playoff chase is big, getting in would be huge. Would help in recruiting free agents as well, showing them we are heading in the right direction.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
The bad news- Jack Capuano gets a 10 yr extension

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:27 PM
RMimagery

ITS A RACE FOR THE 6TH SEED!

With the 3 elite teams in the east established, it's clear that the 6 seed is by far the most desirable finish for the rest of the conference.

Montreal, Pittsburgh and Boston will finish with the 3 best records but Winnipeg or Carolina will win their division and be the 3 seed.

Even though we played Montreal well this year (2 wins), I'd much rather face the Jets or the Canes. Whoever comes in 5th will have to face one of the big 3.

I know you can't target it and we just want to get in, but the 6th seed has us with a decent chance to actually win a round for the first time in forever.

edit: this is normally the case but it's exaggerated this year. with the rangers having problems, ottawa's injuries (though still playing very well), devil's slump, shortened season: there hasn't been this large a discrepancy that we've seen.

Last edited by RMimagery: 03-17-2013 at 01:10 PM.
RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:29 PM
bigd

Quote:
If we do somehow sneak into the playoffs Strait may be ready to play by then.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Jinx thread, mark it down.

Isles will now go on a 5 game losing streak.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Islander Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
ITS A RACE FOR THE 6TH SEED!

With the 3 elite teams in the east established, it's clear that the 6 seed is by far the most desirable finish for the rest of the conference.

Montreal, Pittsburgh and Boston will finish with the 3 best records but Winnipeg or Carolina will win their division and be the 3 seed.

Even though we played Montreal well this year (2 wins), I'd much rather face the Jets or the Canes. Whoever comes in 5th will have to face one of the big 3.

I know you can't target it and we just want to get in, but the 6th seed has us with a decent chance to actually win a round for the first time in forever.

edit: this is normally the case but it's exaggerated this year. with the rangers having problems, ottawa's injuries (though still playing very well), devil's slump, shortened season: there hasn't been this large a discrepancy that we've seen.
yes I was thinking the same thing. The 6th seed is better than the 5th seed this year without a doubt. Playing either WPG/CAR will be much easier than MTL/BOS. Although I wouldn't mind playing MTL in a series, playing Boston would probably be the hardest matchup for us. The good news is that I think finishing 6th right now is very much within reach as I see Ottawa finishing 5th but the 6th spot is wide open (I think both Toronto and New Jersey will come back slowly)

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:52 PM
eastonhockey22*

They're only ahead of most teams by 2-4 points with about twenty games left in the season. There's plenty of time to blow it... which they most likely will. Its nice to hope but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high with almost half of a season to go and a brutal schedule coming up.

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post

I'd like to add, "Keeping players/prospects in the AHL and not rushing them (this year, at least)"

Quote:
Every team poops the bed every now and then.
Yes, even the elite teams...

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:21 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Isles need the points now. 20 games remaining...and the final 8 games are going to be quite a challenge. @Boston, Rangers, Panthers (technically the easier of the games)...then the final 5 games on the road (@TOR, @WPG, @CAR, @PHI, @BUF). You've got to figure, "Well, the Isles have played well on the road, compared to at home". BUT, 4 of these 5 teams could very well be in the playoff race and it could be quite the playoff game atmosphere in those buildings...you never know what could happen. Isles have points in 6 of their last 7 games (5-1-1), so it's definitely a good trend.
It's actually points in 7 out of the last 8 (5-1-2), a very good run. The only loss on a back to back game vs the Pens. 11-8-1 remaining should get us in. 12-7-1 could snag the 6th seed.

Speaking of back to backs - The Isles have one on April 2nd vs the Jets (The Devils the night before) and not another one until the final game of the year - against Buffalo on Friday, April 26th.

That's not bad, but you know that last game is going to have a lot of meaning (hopefully) and it sucks to have it be on limited rest. Hopefully Buffalo will be out of it and it won't be a playoff game for them.

edit: wanted to check the Sabres schedule and see if they also have us on a BTB...nope. Their prior game is on Monday, so they'll have 4 days of rest.

Last edited by RMimagery: 03-17-2013 at 07:29 PM.
RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:01 PM
19NYSports91

Why did you have to make a thread on this? Every time someone brings up the playoffs they do horrible.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Why did you have to make a thread on this? Every time someone brings up the playoffs they do horrible.
Don't worry. It's the roster, not the posters.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Poliz24

I think it would be great to show a playoff appearance to many UFAs, with nabby and vis saying that they like it here maybe it can help show that LI isn't a bad place to live and with brooklyn on the horizon the playoff appearance can really show that we aren't the doormat of the league anymore.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:28 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
Playing either WPG/CAR will be much easier than MTL/BOS.
how do you figure that?
they are 0-4 against winnipeg and carolina.
they are 2-2 against montreal and boston.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
They're only ahead of most teams by 2-4 points with about twenty games left in the season. There's plenty of time to blow it... which they most likely will. Its nice to hope but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high with almost half of a season to go and a brutal schedule coming up.
I agree. No expectations is by far the best way to go.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:04 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I agree. No expectations is by far the best way to go.
No expectations, no disappointments

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote