HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Well Schneider's having a subpar season too, but if we could trade him for a C who's NOT having a subpar season then perhaps it makes more sense to move him than it does Luongo for an overpaid 3C who's having a subpar season.
In what world is Grabo a 3rd line centre? He's been in the top 30 for two seasons for crying out loud.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
So you wouldn't trust Luongo's word?

It is Aqualini's money. If he's prepared to take a slow rolling hit to make his team better the GM should do it.
No I wouldn't trust a player's word in this. When a player is a FREE AGENT and another teams comes around offering him $7M+ per season, while our original nudge nudge hush hush agreement was to pay him $4M per season, what do you think he's going to do? Again, the proposal makes no sense at all from any perspective. Do you really think Frank Aquilini will be happy about paying $22M for nothing?

03-17-2013, 07:08 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
5.5m for a 3rd line centre > 5.2m for a backup goalie.

Grabo is a good player having a sub par season, much like Lu.
That is true for this year. For the next 4 years future years you'd be crying. If Grabovski was good enough to consider bumping Kesler from an offensive role to a defensive 1st line counter role or 2RW I'd do it. He isn't.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
In what world is Grabo a 3rd line centre? He's been in the top 30 for two seasons for crying out loud.
Just using the classification that you gave him, so I guess in your world?

Quote:
5.5m for a 3rd line centre > 5.2m for a backup goalie.

Grabo is a good player having a sub par season, much like Lu.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
That is true for this year. For the next 4 years future years you'd be crying.
No, not me. I love Grabo as a player and understand the value of being strong down the middle. Well worth the investment.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

Wellwood has the same amount of goals as Jordan Schroeder this season, and only 2 more assists. What makes you think he would be any better than Schroeder? I would rather call Schroeder up and play him in the role you'd give Wellwood, than give up assets for Kyle Wellwood. I don't see how he's an upgrade at all.
Because he's significantly better in the faceoff circle, better defensively and more apt to produce offense than Schroeder. When Wellwood played centre last season he put up 50 points - he averaged 18 goals a year as the Canucks 3rd line centre. He just didn't rack up any assists when paired with Steve Bernier and Tanner Glass.

Schroeder may get there one day, but as of right now, he isn't ready to centre a 3rd line on a playoff team. Wellwood on the other hand has gone head to head with decent players and stayed afloat. Something the team desperately needs right now.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Just using the classification that you gave him, so I guess in your world?
He's a third line centre on our team like Lu is a backup on our team, clearly both are much better than that.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Because he's significantly better in the faceoff circle, better defensively and more apt to produce offense than Schroeder. When Wellwood played centre last season he put up 50 points - he averaged 18 goals a year as the Canucks 3rd line centre. He just didn't rack up any assists when paired with Steve Bernier and Tanner Glass.

Schroeder may get there one day, but as of right now, he isn't ready to centre a 3rd line on a playoff team. Wellwood on the other hand has gone head to head with decent players and stayed afloat. Something the team desperately needs right now.
Then why isn't he doing it this year?

Old
03-17-2013, 07:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
He's a third line centre on our team like Lu is a backup on our team, clearly both are much better than that.
So I guess in our world, and in yours, he's a 3C?

Old
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:
You're arguing semantics to your own arguments detriment.

Grabovski would give the Canucks another offensively talented, left-handed draw at centre, albeit overpaid. Would his addition make the team better today? Yes, it he could be traded for the right price. Unfortunately, his price-tag would impede the teams ability to retain depth after this season.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Yes, you're right. I still think trading a backup goalie for a guy that is going to play in the playoffs is a good idea.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
KeninsFan
"Unintentional" Tank

Toronto can retain a portion of his salary.

Grabovski @ 3.5M - 4.5M is excellent value.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
No, not me. I love Grabo as a player and understand the value of being strong down the middle. Well worth the investment.
I wouldn't even be surprised if Nonis is willing to swallow a portion of the contract to get Luongo. Burke is the one that handed out that deal and with the emergence of Kadri it makes Grabo more expendable.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
FWIW, I agree with your point of view. He's not putting up #s but they have him on the wing and we know how poor he is there. In SJ and here, he put up decent #'s and defensively his save % was high - he's not physical of course (which is problematic in the po) but he doesn't cough up the puck or lose his check.

Why AV doesn't like him I don't know...
All he was doing yesterday is coughing up the puck. Has no compete level and is slow.

He has 7 points in 25 games.

Kesler had 7 points in 7 games.

But of course DTS doesn't want that comparison from this year.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:27 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

Quote:
I wouldn't even be surprised if Nonis is willing to swallow a portion of the contract to get Luongo. Burke is the one that handed out that deal and with the emergence of Kadri it makes Grabo more expendable.

At $4m I'm interested but TO isn't.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Then why isn't he doing it this year?
Because he's playing out of position, on the wing, in the bottom 6 of a poor offensive team. This is still the same player that produced like a 1st/2nd liner last year.

Look what he's done in the middle of the ice. He's been a productive forward that doesn't get scored against very often. I don't know if there was a top 9 player in the NHL on for less goals against per minute than Wellwood during his tenure in Vancouver. Teams just couldn't score when he was on the ice.

Wellwood usually wins around 55% of his draws - Schroeder isn't even at 45%. That faceoff ability alone is a huge advantage to have in the lineup.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Because he's playing out of position, on the wing, in the bottom 6 of a poor offensive team. This is still the same player that produced like a 1st/2nd liner last year.

Look what he's done in the middle of the ice. He's been a productive forward that doesn't get scored against very often. I don't know if there was a top 9 player in the NHL on for less goals against per minute than Wellwood during his tenure in Vancouver. Teams just couldn't score when he was on the ice.

Wellwood usually wins around 55% of his draws - Schroeder isn't even at 45%. That faceoff ability alone is a huge advantage to have in the lineup.
Hmmm kinda like Schroeder playing on the FOURTH LINE with Sestito and Weise, on a poor offensive team? The Jets and Canucks have scored the exact same amount of goals this season, so as bad offensively as the Jets are, so are we.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

If Wellwood would be had for free he'd at least be an improvement. Emergency gap filler until bigger moves are made.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
All he was doing yesterday is coughing up the puck. Has no compete level and is slow.

He has 7 points in 25 games.

Kesler had 7 points in 7 games.

But of course DTS doesn't want that comparison from this year.
And Kesler was on for as many even strength goals against as Wellwood too. What do you think of that comparison?

I take it you didn't see Wellwood's setup for the tap-in goal? He was doing more than just coughing up the puck.

It's amazing to me that people think this guy is a poor defensive player. I guess some just can't wrap their head around how a small, slow, soft player can defend adequately.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Hmmm kinda like Schroeder playing on the FOURTH LINE with Sestito and Weise, on a poor offensive team? The Jets and Canucks have scored the exact same amount of goals this season, so as bad offensively as the Jets are, so are we.
Yeah, except Wellwood was more productive in the NHL last season than Schroeder was in the AHL. You have to take into account these players body of work over the last few years to better judge what they're capable of.

Wellwood is the better player right now and has shown capable of elevating his play when it matters most.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:14 PM
jammyrft

are you guys actually telling yourselfs Wellwood is any sort of solution...

Kyle Wellwood folks...Wellwood

Is this the sort of desperation it's gotten to? If MG's trade deadline is Kyle Wellwood I will go ballistic.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

this would be the most ridiculous steal ever

Old
03-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Grabovski's contract sucks and he is laughably overrated, no thanks.
actually, the opposite of everything you said! like, all of it! (except grabovski, he's still important)

Old
03-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

Again, I ask you....does AV want him here. I have my strong doubts. Again I put up the Ballard example. If AV doesn't like you, you're not playing or on an extremely short leash. Few players are going to thrive that way.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
are you guys actually telling yourselfs Wellwood is any sort of solution...

Kyle Wellwood folks...Wellwood

Is this the sort of desperation it's gotten to? If MG's trade deadline is Kyle Wellwood I will go ballistic.
As a gap filler I'd consider it. We need something, anything, to fill in until Kesler gets sorted and MG can find a proper 3C.

Closed Thread