HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Info: Part XIII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 07:25 AM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Chanelling my inner-Mayor, as I recall there was a baseball team nicknamed the "Hitless Wonders", We now have the hockey equivalent.

Substitute names and positions where appropriate and you have this season's story

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...cago_White_Sox

Last edited by EspenK: 03-17-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 07:59 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
According to Capgeek.com, it's after next year. Doesn't seem right to me - I thought it was this year also. Can anyone clarify?
He signed his ELC in July 09, Its gotta be this year, since it wasn't last year. I'm sure he'll be qualified, but I wonder if maybe they hold off on real serious talks deeper into the offsason if the rest of season plays out like this first half has.

A few people on defense are likely going away as trade bait or otherwise, I would think.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Chanelling my inner-Mayor, as I recall there was a baseball team nicknamed the "Hitless Wonders", We now have the hockey equivalent.

Substitute names and positions where appropriate and you have this season's story

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...cago_White_Sox
Interesting comparison. The Hitless Wonders were, in many ways, the ultimate small-ball team. They were last in hits, but around average in OBP (leading the league in walks by a decent amount). Last in slugging, but first by a comfortable margin in sacrifice hits. The end result is that, offensively speaking, they were right around the average. In terms of pitching, they were among the best (but not the best). Also of note was that they led the league in fewest walks and fewest HBP. In terms of fielding, awfully good but not great.

What it really comes down to was simple: luck. Without question, Chicago was not the best team in the American League that year. Cleveland was. Cleveland led the league in nearly every single category in every facet of the game, and the things they didn't lead the league in, they were a stone's throw from the lead. Chicago was 2nd in the league in most pitching categories; Cleveland led in almost everything. Chicago was near the bottom of every offensive category; Cleveland was first. Chicago was second in most fielding numbers, Cleveland was first.

Cleveland allowed 21 more runs on the season than Chicago did, but scored 93 more. It stands to reason that Cleveland would have a better record. But Chicago got lucky. On a projected record of 90-61, they were actually 93-58. And Cleveland, who projected to 98-55, was actually 89-64. Chicago won the AL not only because they had a bit of fortune on their side, but because Cleveland did not. This is based on the Pythagorean projections developed by Bill James.

Now, the reason I transition this way is because there's a similar projection for hockey that involves goals for and goals against. Because of the shootout counting as a goal for, and because of empty netters, it skews one way across the board. I'm still trying to adjust for it. But in the meantime, my magic numbers spreadsheet actually keeps constant track of every team's Pythagorean projection. So the question of, "Is Columbus unusually lucky?" is certainly a good one to ask. But the answer at this point is "no", at least not to any real extent. Teams that are unusually lucky right now are New Jersey, Montreal, Boston, Winnipeg, Chicago, Nashville, Anaheim, and San Jose. Teams that are unusually unlucky are Washington and Tampa Bay, Tampa to an almost unbelievable extent.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Hockey n Heels was a good time. Dorse, Wiz, Hinote all represented CBJ and answered questions from the crowd.

A lot was said about team identity, leadership group, no "C", etc. Hinote said when he was a player, the only CBJ team to confound opponents was the inaugural team. After that, the theory was shut down Nash: beat the CBJ. He did mention that Mase's run was the only other time there was more than Nasher to worry about when playing the Jackets. Now, he hears teams are dreading facing our team... hard to develop a strategy when facing this bunch.

Game officials did a Q and A, and one of the questions they took was about goalie interfence. Interesting in the game with the no-call when a Coyote landed on Bob. The other speaker was the OSU women's hockey coach.

Cool program, hope they continue it.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:52 AM
EspenK

I was trying to keep it brief. But thanks for the full Mayor.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:01 PM
gocbj

Who are these people above 219 in the press box level

There are about 5 - 7 people who sit in one of the media boxes (or whatever they are). It is the last box...right above 219 and right below a giant Nationwide Insurance banner/sign. I'd like to know who they are because they never stand for the National Anthem. Perhaps the local Communist party?

Old
03-17-2013, 01:36 PM
davidbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
There are about 5 - 7 people who sit in one of the media boxes (or whatever they are). It is the last box...right above 219 and right below a giant Nationwide Insurance banner/sign. I'd like to know who they are because they never stand for the National Anthem. Perhaps the local Communist party?
gee this sounds like a fun game

hockey is a pretty international game and Columbus is not without foreign contingents. but let's notice who's not engaging in a voluntary activity and single them out

Old
03-17-2013, 01:48 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
gee this sounds like a fun game

hockey is a pretty international game and Columbus is not without foreign contingents. but let's notice who's not engaging in a voluntary activity and single them out
Its a matter of respect. i think it is a legitimate question.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:17 PM
davidbklyn

Quote:
Its a matter of respect. i think it is a legitimate question.
I don't agree. The last thing I want to read on HF is a discussion trying to identify who isn't standing for the national anthem.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:19 PM
major major

Quote:
I don't like your post. Whatever you think of them sitting, we really have no idea if they are good people, good patriots in another way, or just ***holes.
I'd say more, but let's keep our boards apolitical.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
It's the TV/Radio tech crew. And there sitting through the national anthem has more to do with them being paid to operate a smooth broadcast, not their hate of freedom.

03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
For true freedom haters, see Samkow and his lack of USA flag displayed under his HF information

Old
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Hockey n Heels was a good time. Dorse, Wiz, Hinote all represented CBJ and answered questions from the crowd.

A lot was said about team identity, leadership group, no "C", etc. Hinote said when he was a player, the only CBJ team to confound opponents was the inaugural team. After that, the theory was shut down Nash: beat the CBJ. He did mention that Mase's run was the only other time there was more than Nasher to worry about when playing the Jackets. Now, he hears teams are dreading facing our team... hard to develop a strategy when facing this bunch.

Game officials did a Q and A, and one of the questions they took was about goalie interfence. Interesting in the game with the no-call when a Coyote landed on Bob. The other speaker was the OSU women's hockey coach.

Cool program, hope they continue it.
For us poor west coasters, can you provide more detail?

03-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Quote:
why are you looking at them & not the flag?

Old
03-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

If you want to talk patriotic, I'm pretty sure the mountain man who lives down the street from me with his gawdily displayed flag on the front of his house that is next to his broken down van that never moves is a pretty patriotic guy.

I love America as much as the next guy but his flag is an eyesore in the neighborhood. I bet he would stand for the anthem even though I'm pretty sure he's dragging down the property values on my street.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:08 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Ordered my Anisimov's t-shirt today, he's got to start producing more now

Old
03-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
It's the TV/Radio tech crew. And there sitting through the national anthem has more to do with them being paid to operate a smooth broadcast, not their hate of freedom.
Yeah, been there, done that. You try to be as respectful as possible, but understand that if you completely drop what you're doing the broadcast doesn't go out.

I spent the national anthem during the 97 world series hanging out of the press box at Jacobs Field while another guy held my ankles. The XLR cable on our crowd mic had come undone, and I got it re-attached just as the anthem finished so that we could get the roar of the crowd and the sound of the B52's flying overhead.

In the midst of that, I will admit to not having my hand over my heart.

We were under the arena for the Tunnel of Pride last night, and was impressed that despite being under the arena, not being able to see anything, from the Security Guards to the Ice Crew, to notable Columbus Media celebrities, everyone was at attention while Leo was singing.

Last edited by Skraut: 03-17-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 06:25 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

And please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm trying to teach my kids), if we have a color/honor guard, we stand toward THAT American flag. If we don't, we stand toward the highest American flag in the building.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
And please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm trying to teach my kids), if we have a color/honor guard, we stand toward THAT American flag. If we don't, we stand toward the highest American flag in the building.
That Is what I was told and what I always do

Old
03-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I was trying to keep it brief. But thanks for the full Mayor.
I've spent a good chunk of the day tearing apart and analyzing, then re-analyzing, the luck component of the standings. I finally hit a breakthrough of sorts, once I realized I wasn't adjusting for a major factor.

The two luckiest teams in the NHL by a fair margin are Boston and Anaheim. Oddly enough, Florida shows up as having positive luck, meaning that they're even worse than their record would indicate. The two unluckiest are Tampa Bay and...Los Angeles.

A combination of both Anaheim and Los Angeles normalizing in the last 20 games would be pretty detrimental to the pick acquired from the Kings.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:43 PM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

anyone think we should do a CBJ board bracket challenge for March Madness?

Old
03-17-2013, 06:45 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ All The Way View Post
anyone think we should do a CBJ board bracket challenge for March Madness?
Sure, why not?

Old
03-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Ask and ye shall receive. Sorry Lee I had to do it. You'll know what I mean when ya click...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=999

Old
03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
For us poor west coasters, can you provide more detail?
Here's a more complete account, not written by me. Pretty much sums up the evening.

http://www.theunionblue.com/2013/03/...key-and-heels/

Old
03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Yes, that is correct, you stand toward the color guard. If you notice, the players always face the color guard when there is one, otherwise they face the flag hanging in the rafters.

Closed Thread