HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Roszival

Old
08-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Speedtrials

vCash: 500
I am thrilled the contract is only for a year, if he has a bad year you let him walk. Plus he can be another stopgap for a year, to let our younger d prospects get better in the minors, and juniors.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Captain11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
I am thrilled the contract is only for a year, if he has a bad year you let him walk. Plus he can be another stopgap for a year, to let our younger d prospects get better in the minors, and juniors.
i agree 100%. and i would bet that if he falters, we could see a young dman up soon.

great signing for 1 year.

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I'm with Fletch on this one.

I'm not a fan of Roszzival, but I don't hate him either.

If he's used in the right role, he's a good optionon the blueline.

And if it doesn't work out, in a year you walk away.
No way he is a HOF, but he fits nicely with Jarg, compliments him with predictable and comfortable passes and has great chemistry with Malik. He might be nothing much without Jagr, but as I sad many times before there is no sense to evaluate him without Jarg dominance since he is not going to be used as like that. Instead of fixing something that is not broken (Malik-Rozy) the second pair must have been improved. Ward is there for that.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It appears the CP report was wrong

Quote:
The Rangers kept defenseman Michal Rozsival, agreeing to terms with the free agent on a two-year deal Tuesday worth $4.2 million

The 27-year-old defenseman will earn $1.9 million next season and $2.3 million the following year
http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/08/278278.html

2 years/$4.2 million.$2.1 million cap hit

Last edited by RangerBoy: 08-01-2006 at 03:49 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:36 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Kaspar was penalized mostly for same thing. His hits last season were clean with rare exceptions. As far as two men down I do not share the same recollections. Do you have any stats?
Please see Fletch's post regarding this. He states it rather well.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:37 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Kaspar had a major and a game misconduct - right there you can knock off 15 minutes to present more of an apples to apples comparison.
I remember that now. Good point, Fletch. However, hooking that is being blamed for here is irrelevant to PK. Holding, tripping, cross-checking is. He might do that not having any other tools at his disposal when heavier Malik for some reasons failed to clear the slot. He was not that bad on PK, but there are better ones, like Ward that should be there next year.

Old
08-01-2006, 03:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I remember that now. Good point, Fletch. However, hooking that is being blamed for here is irrelevant to PK. Holding, tripping, cross-checking is. He might do that not having any other tools at his disposal when heavier Malik for some reasons failed to clear the slot. He was not that bad on PK, but there are better ones, like Ward that should be there next year.
Hooking is not irrelevant when the hooking penalty puts your team down two men. And that seemed to happen to MR too much.

08-01-2006, 03:40 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Those who hoped he's getting traded any time soon will have to wait. May be forever.

Old
08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
True Blue

Quote:
No way he is a HOF, but he fits nicely with Jarg, compliments him with predictable and comfortable passes and has great chemistry with Malik.
I could have been the defenseman and had Jagr feel comfortable. Considering the fact that Straka was most often the one who carried the puck out of the zone, how the "predictable and comfortable passes" logic applies, I have no idea.

I do not like Rozsival, but I do not hate him. At his utmost best, he is a #4 defenseman. Most of the time, he plays a game that would befit a 3rd pairing defenseman. As such, I believe that he was very easily replaced from Hartford. Now he clogs up the roster for another two years. Actually, that can be said about everyone except Rachunek. I would have liked to believe that someone like a Baranka and/or Liffiton could have stepped up in two years, but now they will not have the chance.

And why exactly am I supposed to forget the playoffs? The playoffs exposed Rozsival for what he truly was. Without Malik covering up for his mistakes and without Jagr controlling the puck in the other end of the ice, Rozsival was exposed for the mediocre defenseman he truly is. On the biggest stage, Rozsival collapsed and showd just how dependent upon other players he truly is.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Damn...not a big fan of this signing. A 1-year deal would've been nice but 2 years might not be good. He's not horrible or anything but there's no point in keeping him in NY another 2 years. I'm hoping he gets dealt after this season...might be better for other teams financially because there would only be 1 year left on his contract.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:54 PM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

MSG now reporting 2.1/year also
http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_ne...ers&league=nhl

NYR957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:58 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Don't like the two year deal. Right now they have Malik, Kasparaitis, Rozsival and Ward under contract. If the reports are true that the Rangers are looking to lock up Tyutin long-term, then you add him into the mix as well. That means that you enter next season likely with six defensemen under contract.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Fletch

it's tough to argue these points because so much is subjective, but as I remember, Rozsival's penalties were mostly of the lazy variety and very often were the result of him getting beat to the outside (Malik too as a matter of fact). When Malik failed to clear the slot, which was often, he (Malik) typically rebounded with his long reach to get the puck back for the clearing - without Rozsival being affected. Regardless, 40-something minors seems like a lot, with much of it having to do with him playing more minutes. As for chemistry with Jagr - it's tough to measure because last season, everyone had chemistry with Jagr. Poti was a +16 - he didn't play as much with Jags as Rozsival, but he played some and with a nice degree of success. I wouldn't say throw any monkey out there, but this team probably would benefit from a guy like Leetch paired with Malik (although they're both left defensemen so it wouldn't work, but I'm trying to make a point), and having a guy like Rozsival on the second or third pairing, I believe, would be a better overall situation for the Rangers.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Ugh. I was getting hopeful that it wasn't too bad when I read that it was one year. Now it's two and we're back to my original dislike.

I can see how maybe they'd want Staal/Sauer to have a year in the A after this year in Juniors, but what about Baranka, Girardi, et. al.?

At least the numbers aren't that big relative to what other guys got on the open market. Maybe we can trade him to someone based on his superior +/-?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

How much cap space do we have left now?

NYR957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

2 years is still short term gentlemen. And it's not like there will never be injuries.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I will be happy with this deal if he cuts his penalty minutes by around 20 minutes. Should be a reasonable request.

Or at least make some of them "hard" penalties, IE roughing or something of the sort.

It does frustrate me that it appears that we'll have 6 d-men next year under contract. I think this also means that Pock is not in the team's plans.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
polako

I really have mixed feelings about the deal.

On the one hand, I believe that he is worth the money he is receiving (whether he should be receiving that check from a different team is another matter). He was, figuratively and statistically, NYR's #1 defenseman last year.

On the other hand, as has been previously mentioned, skill-wise he's no much better that a #3 or 4. I do believe that there exist other players in the NYR pipeline, players who would come cheaper, who could succeed on the NYR blueline. They wouldn't have to play against top opposition either, like Roz did, since I feel that the blueline has been upgraded by the signings of Ward and Rachunek, and the natural development of Tyutin.

Overall, I appreciate what he contributed to last year's team, but I was kind of hoping to see Pock or Staal or even Liffiton/Baranka get a serious look for a starter's gig.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:19 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

2 years 4.2? looks like Rozsival got paid for his outstanding +/- last season. I think the league as a whole puts too much emphasis on that stat.

Personally i dont mind having him back, he logs minutes, but hes got to stay out of the bloody box. I wouldnt mind seeing him in the 2nd pairing or in a more limited role, but why would you pay a d-guy 2.1 a year for that? I WOULD want to retain his services for sure if there wasnt a few solid prospects behind him, which is why im bummed about the contract a bit. But hey, trades can go down.

NEGATIVES:
Im not thrilled with the contract, isnt as good as his +/-, people seem to forget he had an injury free season, pretty much his first in NHL. He was bailed out plenty of times by Maliks quick stick in front. Minimal body work, no mean streak AT ALL. He took a ton of untimely penalties and he couldnt hit the net with his "booming shot" for ****. He also batted a puck into his own net one game (i forget who, maybe st. louis or philly) ill never forget that bonehead play. Where the hell was he in the postseason when the Rangers needed him most...

POSITIVES:
Hes 27. He can become trade bait for a larger fish. He gelled well with the team last year and fit right in quickly. He got the puck out of the zone for the most part, but with help. Decent passer. He stuck to the game plan and took his role with minutes and ran with it as far as the surface is concerned. On occasion impressed me with some decent defensive plays.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-01-2006 at 04:24 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
2 years 4.2? looks like Rozsival got paid for his outstanding +/- last season. I think the league as a whole puts too much emphasis on that stat.

Personally i dont mind having him back, he logs minutes, but hes got to stay out of the bloody box. I wouldnt mind seeing him in the 2nd pairing or in a more limited role, but why would you pay a d-guy 2.1 a year for that? I WOULD want to retain his services for sure if there wasnt a few solid prospects behind him, which is why im bummed about the contract a bit. But hey, trades can go down.

NEGATIVES:
Im not thrilled with the contract, isnt as good as his +/-, people seem to forget he had an injury free season, pretty much his first in NHL. He was bailed out plenty of times by Maliks quick stick in front. Minimal body work, no mean streak AT ALL. He took a ton of untimely penalties and he couldnt hit the net with his "booming shot" for ****. He also batted a puck into his own net one game (i forget who, maybe st. louis or philly) ill never forget that bonehead play. Where the hell was he in the postseason when the Rangers needed him most...

POSITIVES:
Hes 27. He can become trade bait for a larger fish. He gelled well with the team last year and fit right in quickly. He got the puck out of the zone for the most part, but with help. Decent passer. He stuck to the game plan and took his role with minutes and ran with it as far as the surface is concerned. On occasion impressed me with some decent defensive plays.
Excellent assessment. He'd be fine 1)for less money, 2)as a #4 D and 3)if he wasn't blocking prospects. As it is, I'm not happy.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Fletch

Hockey...

conversely, why would you pay Kaspar $3.3MM for him to play a second pair?

I think Rozsival will be the fourth highest paid defenseman on the Rangers (fifth if Ozo is included), but in any event, salary shouldn't always dictate role (unless the salary was just signed, then it's inevitable until they prove otherwise). The problem is, I'm not sure I'd want to see Ward get 20+ minutes per night, and I'm not sure I'd want to see Tyutin playing with someone other than Kaspar.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:41 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Everyone is too hard on him. He's a great player and is going to be a bargain again this year. Great sign.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
DarthSather99

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/9581256

funny..the header says 1 yr but the content 2yr

Quote:
The 27-year-old defenseman will earn $1.9 million next season and $2.3 million the following year.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Everyone is too hard on him. He's a great player and is going to be a bargain again this year. Great sign.
A great player? An overstatement, methinks.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Taz

Quote:
Rozy is not the worst.

Kasparaitis 97PIM in 67 games = 1.5 PIM per game
Malik 78/74 = 1.1 pim/g
Rozsival 90/82 = 1.1 pim/g
Strudwick 66/65 = 1.0 pim/g
Poti 70/73 = .96 pim/g
Tyutin 58/77 = .75 pim/g

Ward (Canes) 62/71 = .87 pim/g

Strudwick is the worst since he played much less time, but he's gone. Next is Kaspar. You wouldn't like bench Kasparaitis, would you?

Yea Strudwick had high PIM but he also had what 8 fighting majors? to Rozsivals 0

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote