HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Discussion: The Goalie Market

Old
03-17-2013, 06:15 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Discussion: The Goalie Market

There seems to be an unusually high amount of goalies available now, or this summer via free agency. As of right now, the following are all either rumored to be available, or upcoming unrestricted free agents and are all starting goalies, or potential starting goalies. And there may be more that I am unaware of or am forgetting.

One of Luongo or Schneider
Ryan Miller
Ilya Bryzgalov (probably after a buy out this summer)
Miikka Kiprusoff
Nicklas Backstrom
Tim Thomas
Mike Smith
Jim Howard
Evgeni Nabokov
Ben Bishop
Jonas Hiller (if they feel Fasth can be a number one next year)
Michael Neuvirith (if he asks for a big raise, Holtby seems to be the number one in Washington)

Teams who may be actively looking for a starting goalie (including ones who may lose their goalie as free agents) are:

Minnesota (if Backstrom isn't re-signed)
Phoenix (if Smith isn't re-signed)
Detroit (Howard)
NY Islanders (Nabokov)
Philadelphia (Bryz buy out?)
Tampa Bay
Calgary (only if Ramo doesn't want to come over to the NHL I think)
Toronto (although their goalies have been pretty good up until recently)
Florida (Markstrom isn't ready, Theodore is a UFA and possibly done as a starter)
Buffalo (probably only trading Miller because Enroth is ready, will likely give him the chance)
New Jersey (young backup to Brodeur who can be a starter in a couple years)

To me, it seems that there are more goalies available than teams who need one, unless I'm not aware of a team searching for a starting goalie. Does the number of available goalies now and over the summer affect the value that teams will be willing to pay a goalie as a free agent or in trade? Opinions? Thoughts? Did I leave anyone out?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Oversaturated market and overpriced. Once the draft comes around I expect trade prices to come down, but other than ottawa who has 3 NHL goalies, i dont think anyone is in a real rush to move their pieces and will try to hold out until they get what they want.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Jimmy Howards availibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
There seems to be an unusually high amount of goalies available now, or this summer via free agency. As of right now, the following are all either rumored to be available, or upcoming unrestricted free agents and are all starting goalies, or potential starting goalies. And there may be more that I am unaware of or am forgetting.

One of Luongo or Schneider
Ryan Miller
Ilya Bryzgalov (probably after a buy out this summer)
Miikka Kiprusoff
Nicklas Backstrom
Tim Thomas
Mike Smith
Jim Howard
Evgeni Nabokov
Ben Bishop
Jonas Hiller (if they feel Fasth can be a number one next year)
Michael Neuvirith (if he asks for a big raise, Holtby seems to be the number one in Washington)

Teams who may be actively looking for a starting goalie (including ones who may lose their goalie as free agents) are:

Minnesota (if Backstrom isn't re-signed)
Phoenix (if Smith isn't re-signed)
Detroit (Howard)
NY Islanders (Nabokov)
Philadelphia (Bryz buy out?)
Tampa Bay
Calgary (only if Ramo doesn't want to come over to the NHL I think)
Toronto (although their goalies have been pretty good up until recently)
Florida (Markstrom isn't ready, Theodore is a UFA and possibly done as a starter)
Buffalo (probably only trading Miller because Enroth is ready, will likely give him the chance)
New Jersey (young backup to Brodeur who can be a starter in a couple years)

To me, it seems that there are more goalies available than teams who need one, unless I'm not aware of a team searching for a starting goalie. Does the number of available goalies now and over the summer affect the value that teams will be willing to pay a goalie as a free agent or in trade? Opinions? Thoughts? Did I leave anyone out?
If you would pay attention to other post here you would know that Jimmy Howard Is'nt available he Is about to be resigned by Detroit with most likely a 7 year deal worth $35 Million, His deal Is pretty much done Ken Holland now Is trying to lock up both Brunner and Filppula as well.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
CREW99AW

Newsday reports that Nabby's rep and Snow, are gonna start extension talks.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:50 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
If you would pay attention to other post here you would know that Jimmy Howard Is'nt available he Is about to be resigned by Detroit with most likely a 7 year deal worth $35 Million, His deal Is pretty much done Ken Holland now Is trying to lock up both Brunner and Filppula as well.
So you expect everyone to read every thread before starting a discussion? Good to know, and I think everyone expected that anyway, but no need to be rude about it. Also, I did put Detroit beside Howard's name, suggesting that he will most likely be staying there.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:52 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Elliott for anything if Allen keeps it up. I could see us waiting till the summer and if Allen pulls a Cam Ward, then Halak could be on the block.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Newsday reports that Nabby's rep and Snow, are gonna start extension talks.
I did hear that one. I think the point is being missed though. Even if every team I listed re-signs their respective upcoming free agents (I'd be shocked if Minnesota let Backstrom go, Miller is actually traded by Buffalo, etc), the number of teams needing a goalie still outnumbers the teams that are looking for one. Am I right in assuming the goalie market is almost nil?

Old
03-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
So you expect everyone to read every thread before starting a discussion? Good to know, and I think everyone expected that anyway, but no need to be rude about it. Also, I did put Detroit beside Howard's name, suggesting that he will most likely be staying there.
Yes If your going to make a post on potential free agents try doing a little home work before you post, It make you look more credible you have been on here longer then me and yet I know way more about potential free agents then you do because I follow the teams page.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:18 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Yes If your going to make a post on potential free agents try doing a little home work before you post, It make you look more credible you have been on here longer then me and yet I know way more about potential free agents then you do because I follow the teams page.
Must be nice to have time to follow all 30 team pages. If you have nothing to contribute other than flaming other posters, perhaps you should refrain and not hijack the thread please. As of right now, Howard is a pending free agent. That's why he's on the list.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Must be nice to have time to follow all 30 team pages. If you have nothing to contribute other than flaming other posters, perhaps you should refrain and not hijack the thread please. As of right now, Howard is a pending free agent. That's why he's on the list.
You're wrong. Howard Isn't a pending free agent until July 1st. Howard will be resigned before the end of this month

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-17-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: too much
Old
03-17-2013, 08:24 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I did hear that one. I think the point is being missed though. Even if every team I listed re-signs their respective upcoming free agents (I'd be shocked if Minnesota let Backstrom go, Miller is actually traded by Buffalo, etc), the number of teams needing a goalie still outnumbers the teams that are looking for one. Am I right in assuming the goalie market is almost nil?
It's a buyers market, with so many goalies available in trade or about to become ufas.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:27 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Your wrong Howard Is'nt a pending free agent until July 1st Howard will be resigned before the end of this month
Seriously? He is a free agent on July 1st. He is a pending free agent, as in, he is scheduled to become a free agent. Unless he signs first. Which he hasn`t. Which is why he`s on the list.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-17-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: no + quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:31 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
If I were an Islanders, Devils or Flames, I'd be hoping that my GM is looking very seriously at J. Bernier as an option to take over the starting spot once my old goalie retires or walks away.

Last edited by JayKing: 03-17-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling
JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
If I were an Islanders, Devils or Flames, I'd be hoping that my GM is looking very seriously at J. Bernier as an option to take over the starting spit once my old goalie retires or walks away.
He makes tons of sense for the Devils. I`m pretty sure Calgary is banking on Kari Ramo. And he's been very good in the KHL and has always looked like he had tons of potential, so they might be right.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Seriously? He is a free agent on July 1st. He is a pending free agent, as in, he is scheduled to become a free agent. Unless he signs first. Which he hasn`t. Which is why he`s on the list.
Bottom line Is his deal Is done they're just waiting for him to sign It, So he's not available nor was he going to be available.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-17-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:42 PM
palindrom

Another question: if we aren't taking into account the market, how many of these "avaible" goalie did increase their value since last summer?

Probably only Lehner, Bernier and Bishop did.

Also to add on your list of possibly available goalie : Steve Mason. I doubt Colombus will give him a qualifying offer next summer and could become a UFA.

as a 25yo UFA goalie with 220 games experience, and a Vezina nomination, i am sure a team would be interested to give him a shoot on a cheap contract.

Also with Allen doing well, maybe one of Elliot /Halak could be available. (Or both)

Budaj will be UFA as well, he did well for Montreal as a backup.

Last edited by palindrom: 03-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:43 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Bottom line Is his deal Is done they're just waiting for him to sign It, So he's not available nor was he going to be available.
No. Bottom line is that I listed upcoming UFA goalies who haven't re-signed. But thanks for contributing.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:48 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Another question: if we aren't taking into account the market, how many of these "avaible" goalie did increase their value since last summer?
Do you mean which are better? Because technically, if we don't consider the market, there are no values, ha ha.

I'd say Bernier has played well enough to raise his value. Bishop as well. Smith was a Vezina finalist last year, and probably had an all time trade value, but he's playing well again and will get paid this summer. Jimmy Howard has showed he can stay consistent from year to year, so that couldn't hurt his value. The rest have either peaked or are past their prime, or in Schneider's case, haven't performed as well as expected, so their value would be at best the same as last year. Some significantly worse.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
tsujimoto74

Miller rumor was started by the same idiot that's been predicting Miller for Kane trades for like a year and a half now. Hasn't yet been a lick of truth to any of it and legitimate hockey sources have said as much.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
No. Bottom line is that I listed upcoming UFA goalies who haven't re-signed. But thanks for contributing.
Sorry not trying to be rude, Just stating the facts of what I read and saw That a deal with Howard Is Imminit and close at hand

Old
03-17-2013, 09:22 PM
DesertDawg

Bruce Garrioch thinks that Mike Smith can fetch $6Mil. Does anybody else think that? I say $4Mil tops and with his play of late, that # should go down.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Bruce Garrioch thinks that Mike Smith can fetch $6Mil. Does anybody else think that? I say $4Mil tops and with his play of late, that # should go down.
I agree with you $4 Mil fo Mike Smith seems like a fair price, I dont see Smith getting $6 Mil sorry he's decent he's not great he really was'nt that good in his few years with Tampa Bay he had a solid playoff run last year with the Yotes and was solid when needed to be.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
As an Ottawa native, I can assure you that on his best days, Garrioch is full of hot air and ham sandwiches.

Take anything he says with a grain of salt.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:41 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
As an Ottawa native, I can assure you that on his best days, Garrioch is full of hot air and ham sandwiches.

Take anything he says with a grain of salt.
I can't believe that Spector (Lyle) responded with..."though $6 million per would be market value for a goalie of his caliber"

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:46 PM
jayball75

Quote:
Gotta love those unprovoked rude comments. They scream weirdo just waiting to argue instead of discuss their opinion. You hurt his feelings BIGTIME.
There's lots of possibilities out there and just because there's a rumor Howard stays in Detroit doesn't mean it's true. He has been good but hasn't proved anything in the SCP. So there's a chance they go in a different direction between the pipes. IMO he will stay but you never kniw

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote