HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Deadline set todayfor Russians to sign transfer agreement.

Old
07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Blowfish

vCash: 500
Deadline set todayfor Russians to sign transfer agreement.

Deadline set for Mon. for Russians to sign transfer agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYONE WITH SOME INFORMATION ON THIS?http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_463742.html
Don't know if the Bruins have any intention of signing Zinovjev or not, but we should know later today if it becomes a viable option or not.

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 06:55 PM
HOF

I've been looking around a lot and can't find anything else about todays deadline.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
I knew deadline 15th August

08-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Slitty

Its Tuesday in both North America and Russia mate. Refer to the discussion on the Penguins board for almost certain discreditation of the said deadline. It has been largely unconfirmed both in North America and especially Russia, and has passed without a word being spoken on either side.

The IIHF deadline is August the 15th.

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Its Tuesday in both North America and Russia mate. Refer to the discussion on the Penguins board for almost certain discreditation of the said deadline. It has been largely unconfirmed both in North America and especially Russia, and has passed without a word being spoken on either side.

The IIHF deadline is August the 15th.
The alleged July 31 deadline has nothing to do with the IIHF deadline. NHL assistant commisioner Bill Daly was quoted in one newspaper as saying the NHL would proceed without an agreement if Russia wouldn't sign on by yesterday.

So there's two possibilities here:

(1) Bill Daly actually said it.
(2) Bill Daly didn't actually say it.

If Bill Daly actually said it, then it might have been a bluff to put pressure on the Russian hockey federation, or maybe they actually have plans to proceed without agreement but haven't said anything publicly about it yet.

If Bill Daly didn't actually say it, then Karen Price of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review put an outright fabrication in her report. Which could happen, I suppose, but usually if hockey reporters are going to outright fabricate something, they don't name an actual person as the source. They attribute it to an "NHL executive" or something. Because if you say Bill Daly said blah-blah and Bill Daly said nothing of the sort, you run the risk that Bill Daly will catch wind of it and publicly discredit you (or worse).

With the Penguins ownership and arena situation you can be sure that somebody from the NHL has been following Pittsburgh newspapers over the past few days. The July 31 deadline was also referred to in articles in TSN Ice-chips, on Sportsnet, in the Edmonton Journal (in discussing Mikhnov's situation) and in several Pittsburgh papers (because of Malkin's situation). The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette referred to the expired deadline again today.

I find it strange that the NHL has not issued some kind of statement to clarify the situation. But it would be especially strange if the reported July 31 deadline was a fabrication and the NHL didn't do anything to contradict it.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Paxton Fettel

bleh

conclusion : no one knows

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
The alleged July 31 deadline has nothing to do with the IIHF deadline. NHL assistant commisioner Bill Daly was quoted in one newspaper as saying the NHL would proceed without an agreement if Russia wouldn't sign on by yesterday.

So there's two possibilities here:

(1) Bill Daly actually said it.
(2) Bill Daly didn't actually say it.

If Bill Daly actually said it, then it might have been a bluff to put pressure on the Russian hockey federation, or maybe they actually have plans to proceed without agreement but haven't said anything publicly about it yet.

If Bill Daly didn't actually say it, then Karen Price of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review put an outright fabrication in her report. Which could happen, I suppose, but usually if hockey reporters are going to outright fabricate something, they don't name an actual person as the source. They attribute it to an "NHL executive" or something. Because if you say Bill Daly said blah-blah and Bill Daly said nothing of the sort, you run the risk that Bill Daly will catch wind of it and publicly discredit you (or worse).

With the Penguins ownership and arena situation you can be sure that somebody from the NHL has been following Pittsburgh newspapers over the past few days. The July 31 deadline was also referred to in articles in TSN Ice-chips, on Sportsnet, in the Edmonton Journal (in discussing Mikhnov's situation) and in several Pittsburgh papers (because of Malkin's situation). The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette referred to the expired deadline again today.

I find it strange that the NHL has not issued some kind of statement to clarify the situation. But it would be especially strange if the reported July 31 deadline was a fabrication and the NHL didn't do anything to contradict it.
Or OTOH she could have recycled an old quote.

I looked at the story and it did not actually specify a date (note the Monday in brackets meaning it was added) nor did it indicate when Daly supposedly made this comment.

During the lockout Stan "Fake" Fischler pulled this stunt and got caught out. When it was brought to the attention of the editor his column was deleted from the on-line edition.

See:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=fischler

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 08-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Or OTOH she could have recycled an old quote.

I looked at the story and it did not actually specify a date (note the Monday in brackets meaning it was added) nor did it indicate when Daly supposedly made this comment.

During the lockout Stan "Fake" Fischler pulled this stunt and got caught out. When it was brought to the attention of the editor his column was deleted from the on-line edition.

See:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=fischler
Sure, there's the possibility that the reporter did something cheesy to make the quote say something she wanted to say. Is it likely? I don't see why she'd have bothered. What's in it for her? There's a high probability of getting caught if it's fabricated, and there's no apparent benefit to her at all.

It could have happened like you suggest... but I personally suspect that she probably respects her profession (or at least, enjoys getting paid) enough to not do something that dumb.

And if she did fabricate something, why wouldn't the NHL have disputed her story or corrected it?

To me it is much more logical to assume she was told what she said she was told, and to question whether the NHL really means it. I mean, heaven forbid that a party would leak something false to a reporter in hopes of putting pressure on someone... I mean, that hardly ever happens, right?

Old
08-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
Sure, there's the possibility that the reporter did something cheesy to make the quote say something she wanted to say. Is it likely? I don't see why she'd have bothered. What's in it for her? There's a high probability of getting caught if it's fabricated, and there's no apparent benefit to her at all.

It could have happened like you suggest... but I personally suspect that she probably respects her profession (or at least, enjoys getting paid) enough to not do something that dumb.

And if she did fabricate something, why wouldn't the NHL have disputed her story or corrected it?

To me it is much more logical to assume she was told what she said she was told, and to question whether the NHL really means it. I mean, heaven forbid that a party would leak something false to a reporter in hopes of putting pressure on someone... I mean, that hardly ever happens, right?
Why would Fischler do it?

She's a reporter - she had a deadline and no story? Who knows.

I find it telling there are no actual dates attached.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Slitty

All I can tell you is that Tretiak is still officially on vacation as he was when this "deadline" was apparently issued. What sense it makes to issue such a deadline when there is nobody around to sign the agreement, I'll leave to your discretion. This is in addition to an IIHF issued August 15th deadline, as well as the RHF announcing that Tertiak will be meeting with Fetisov and every RSL team in order to determine their official position in the near future. Additionally, why would a PHL commitie then meet after the said deadline to discuss the transfer agreement among other things?

If this deadline that came and went without a single peep from either the NHL or the RHF was legit, I am trully confused to what point and purpose it was issued.

Last edited by Slitty: 08-01-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 04:39 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
If this deadline that came and went without a single peep from either the NHL or the RFH was legit, I am trully confused to what point and purpose it was issued.

Me too.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 02:47 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

With the big thread on the Penguins forum about Tretiak announcing that the talks are finished and there will be no transfer agreement, it seems as though maybe the deadline wasn't fictional after-all.