HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 08:50 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
He's a third line centre on our team like Lu is a backup on our team, clearly both are much better than that.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1378335

Toronto fans are even talking about buying him out if he's stuck in a 3C role at $5.5m. I like the guy but not at $5.5m, we'd just end up where TO is with him right now. People talking about Toronto picking $1.5m-$2m to turn him into a $3.5-4m" player think about this: if they did deal him with $2m off they still have to replace him and have the $2m.

ie if TO eats $2m of Grabovski then signs a cheaper worse $3m replacement, they get a worse player for an effective $5m cap hit.

Old
Derp Kassian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
As a gap filler I'd consider it. We need something, anything, to fill in until Kesler gets sorted and MG can find a proper 3C.
There's like 2 weeks until the trade deadline.. Don't see MG wasting assets for a fill in.

Old
Whale

Every time I browse this thread I lose more and more faith in democracy, could you imagine if even half of the proposals here actually happened? This team would fall apart in pretty short order.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
There's like 2 weeks until the trade deadline.. Don't see MG wasting assets for a fill in.
only 9 games

Old
03-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Again, I ask you....does AV want him here. I have my strong doubts. Again I put up the Ballard example. If AV doesn't like you, you're not playing or on an extremely short leash. Few players are going to thrive that way.
When AV feels his job is in jeopardy he knows he doesn't have time to play favourites. He dumped on Wellwood during the regular season but when push came to shove come playoff time had Wellwood playing an increased role. If Schroeder and Ebbett weren't so small and physically unimposing I would be more concerned about Wellwood's role. As is, Wellwood would give Vigneault the best chance to win and that's why he would play IMO.

Hopefully Luongo is used to upgrade the centre ice position so that we don't have to look at marginal talents, which also happen to be better than anything we have in the 3 and 4 slot.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1378335

Toronto fans are even talking about buying him out if he's stuck in a 3C role at $5.5m. I like the guy but not at $5.5m, we'd just end up where TO is with him right now. People talking about Toronto picking $1.5m-$2m to turn him into a $3.5-4m" player think about this: if they did deal him with $2m off they still have to replace him and have the $2m.

ie if TO eats $2m of Grabovski then signs a cheaper worse $3m replacement, they get a worse player for an effective $5m cap hit.
toronto fans are talking about buying him out because randy carlyle gave them some kool-aid and they drank it and then he rolled onto his back and **** himself because that's the level of coaching hes providing the team right now

god, for everyone who hates av: it could be randy carlyle

Old
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
toronto fans are talking about buying him out because randy carlyle gave them some kool-aid and they drank it and then he rolled onto his back and **** himself because that's the level of coaching hes providing the team right now

god, for everyone who hates av: it could be randy carlyle
Same thing is going to happen here under AV.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Verviticus

there isn't anybody on the canucks that's being given the grabovski treatment. booth isn't viewed fairly this year (like last year's raymond) but he isn't as good as grabovski is either

thankfully, AV isn't Completely Pants On Head ********

Old
03-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
Every time I browse this thread I lose more and more faith in democracy, could you imagine if even half of the proposals here actually happened? This team would fall apart in pretty short order.
no, cause we would just auto sign every free agent!

Old
03-17-2013, 09:20 PM
blendini

Quote:

Well, with no trades, the team surely will fall apart.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Except for proposals by that Nuckles37 guy. He knows his stuff.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
03-17-2013, 10:12 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I wouldn't even be surprised if Nonis is willing to swallow a portion of the contract to get Luongo. Burke is the one that handed out that deal and with the emergence of Kadri it makes Grabo more expendable.
If the Leafs are willing to eat 1.5M in salary to get Lu, you have to do it IMO.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:26 PM
keslerburrows

If a GM was to "eat" some salary of the player they are trading away... Would it be annually or just for the season the player is traded? Or do they have a choice?

Old
03-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
If a GM was to "eat" some salary of the player they are trading away... Would it be annually or just for the season the player is traded? Or do they have a choice?
If a team retains part of a contract, it's for the entire contract, not for just certain years.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

I think it's not realistic at all for teams to trade for luongo and retain salary from the player they'd be trading.

Doesn't make sense for another team to essentially pay luongo Crosby money for them to only get stuck paying extra on the cap if he retires early.

Unreasonable request IMO.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:54 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
If a team retains part of a contract, it's for the entire contract, not for just certain years.
Thanks. I'd definitely do Lou for Grabo if TO eat 1.5M of his contract.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I think it's not realistic at all for teams to trade for luongo and retain salary from the player they'd be trading.

Doesn't make sense for another team to essentially pay luongo Crosby money for them to only get stuck paying extra on the cap if he retires early.

If Toronto is absorbing $1.5mil of Grabovski's cap hit they're essentially investing $6.8mil of cap space in Luongo. We payed Luongo $6.75mil when the cap was close to $40mil...

Luongo is a more valuable player than Grabo. Eating a portion of the struggling forwards salary makes up for the disparity in their respective value's.

They surely won't want to do it. Though I'm not sure they want to pay him $5.5mil either.

If the Leafs continue to score goals, give up 4 goals against per game and are in the thick of the playoff race come the deadline, this is something I could see Nonis look at. Building from the net out after all is his mantra.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

lol if toronto offered grabs -1.5m vancouver would take that and run so, so far

Closed Thread