HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The good thing if we make the playoffs

Old
03-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Islanders1932

vCash: 500
Playoffs would be huge for this team. The experience alone would be very valuable to our players and its a step in the right direction. This team has already shown growth (finally) and this would just be great. Plus, if this team can make the playoffs with this lineup, they will have confidence that they can do it again next year. Also, I would have to imagine that Wang would want to start to build this team up for the Brooklyn move. He will want a good team heading into that season to grow the business. You need a good team going into a new building and that needs to start now. Moving into a new building with a cup contender would do great things for this team.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Playoffs would be huge for this team. The experience alone would be very valuable to our players and its a step in the right direction. This team has already shown growth (finally) and this would just be great. Plus, if this team can make the playoffs with this lineup, they will have confidence that they can do it again next year. Also, I would have to imagine that Wang would want to start to build this team up for the Brooklyn move. He will want a good team heading into that season to grow the business. You need a good team going into a new building and that needs to start now. Moving into a new building with a cup contender would do great things for this team.
Agreed 100%. Playtime (playing for a top pick) is over.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
Agreed 100%. Playtime (playing for a top pick) is over.
Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!

Oh and YES!!!!!

03-17-2013, 11:50 PM
LeapOnOver

I really can't count on the Isles making the playoffs. It's going to be a tight race and even a team like Philly could pull it together. It's going to take a 7-1 run type of effort and I don't remember the last time the Isles could put a real win streak together. They had an ok one this season but doing it twice is going to be hard to come by.

If they do make it I seem them being ousted in the first round no matter who they face BUT the experience will be invaluable and I will take the ousting!

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:08 AM
ichabod13

i wouldnt bet the ranch on them ( not "us" or "we" ) making the post season. i would enjoy the hell out of it if they did though.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I don't care what seed we get as long as we are in it. In the playoffs anything can happen and quick goals followed by clutch goal tending can lead to wins. We wouldn't be the first 8th seed team to make noise.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

I need to see it to believe it. The Islanders haven't made the playoffs yet. If they do make the playoffs Boston or Pittsburgh would destroy them. If they somehow played the Flyers they would be destroyed as well. After that I think the Islanders could be competitive vs. Canadiens, Senators, Canes, Rangers, Devils, Jets or anyone else.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Flamingo

If you get Tavares within 2 wins of a playoff berth, he'll carry you there. That kid is clutch. The more pressure, the better.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:39 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
If you get Tavares within 2 wins of a playoff berth, he'll carry you there. That kid is clutch. The more pressure, the better.
To even be in that position, Tavares is going to have to carry this team anyway.

I'm with you though, I wouldn't bet against him if we are that close. He'll go into super beast mode and get it done.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
The bad news- Jack Capuano gets a 10 yr extension
Funny.
Previous poster nailed the good which is signing our own free agents. Vets prefer a winner. Same as other free agents however I Really want to tank this year because this draft is loaded. A top ten pick is gold.

Then next year no excuses but I just cant root to lose

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:41 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I really can't count on the Isles making the playoffs. It's going to be a tight race and even a team like Philly could pull it together. It's going to take a 7-1 run type of effort and I don't remember the last time the Isles could put a real win streak together. They had an ok one this season but doing it twice is going to be hard to come by.

If they do make it I seem them being ousted in the first round no matter who they face BUT the experience will be invaluable and I will take the ousting!
Do you remember the current streak of 5-1-2? 7-1 would be nice but it's no where near that extreme to make the playoffs. The Isles have a game in hand vs seeds 5 through 8 and most teams below us.

11-7-2 should get in (and is doable!). 12-6-2 or similar may get the coveted 6th seed (see my earlier post).

RMimagery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:52 PM
steveat

We must be doing something right?

We made it to the top 16 in the power rankings ...YaY...lets hope we stay.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

If we win next game, we would have jumped over a major hurdle. That ominous .500 and stay power. Everytime we hit it...bam..we lose 3 in a row..then back up the ladder again.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:18 AM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearlyLottery View Post
I agree it does look like we have a chance. I would think that we are better than the Leafs this year and with them on a 5 game losing streak we should be able to jump them.

The only team I'm not confident playing first round are the Bruins. But if we make the playoffs I could care less.
Usually when top seeds are upset in the first round they are not a great defensive team, this year in the East both Pittsburgh and Carolina have pretty shoddy defensive #s compared to the top seeds out West allowing 80 goals so far. I think both are definitely beatable and would be surprised if one is not gone in the first round, MAF is a pretty lousy goaltender and Carolina is simply not there yet though I think they will win that division. Boston is definitely the team I would not want followed by Ottawa but its unlikely they finish top 3. I think Montreal eventually is taken over by Boston.

BMOK33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:46 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post

This. You make winners by making them realize how to HATE losing.

And by handcuffing Wang and Snow in a room at this guy's shack.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:23 PM
19NYSports91

Told you so.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards