HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Phx im not worried about they have 8 home games left 12 on road Oilers are 12 home 8 road , Pretty sure we catch them Sharks Im worried about as well as Calgary as their secondaey scoring is good although they have 13 left on road. Dallas is just not a good team.
Good point about Phoenix.

Sharks are really not good. As the season progresses even further, they'll only get more tired. They are also in a tougher conference. I think they are the most catch-able team.

The thing about Calgary is our fate is in our own hands with them, having 3 games left. If they make it above us, then we can look to those games and it's imminently our fault, whereas with Dallas, though they are looking pretty bad, are done playing us.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
We almost need a complete home sweep for tomorrow. All homes teams except Colorado must win for us to increase our chances.

Anaheim vs San Jose
Los Angeles vs Phoenix
Vancouver vs Minnesota
Dallas vs Calgary
Colorado vs Chicago

Old
03-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
Good point about Phoenix.

Sharks are really not good. As the season progresses even further, they'll only get more tired. They are also in a tougher conference. I think they are the most catch-able team.

The thing about Calgary is our fate is in our own hands with them, having 3 games left. If they make it above us, then we can look to those games and it's imminently our fault, whereas with Dallas, though they are looking pretty bad, are done playing us.
The gap with our home away critical we win those 4 extra home games we are right in it .I just have feeling we are all going to be biting our fingers till end of season which is not a bad thing . Phx is also awfull on road they cannot do line matchups to trap like they do at home.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
We almost need a complete home sweep for tomorrow. All homes teams except Colorado must win for us to increase our chances.

Anaheim vs San Jose
Los Angeles vs Phoenix
Vancouver vs Minnesota
Dallas vs Calgary
Colorado vs Chicago
No matter outcome of that one we drop to 11th.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
No matter outcome of that one we drop to 11th.
What if the building collapses and they all die?

Old
03-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Yeah ok lol , worst out come in that game would be Calgary winning in ot or shootout. Then we drop to 12th

Old
03-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Hoogaar23

Anaheim and Chicago will be no brainers to cheer for the rest of the year. They've almost clinched already. Other than those 2, everyone is still too bunched up to hope for one team over another. Only thing I'm hoping for is as few 3 point games as possible.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:31 PM
AM

One down 5 to go.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:57 PM
oilersfan87

My prediction: we finish 10th this year but next year we sneak in as a 7th seed.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:12 AM
MessierII

They are. We need to keep this ball rolling and have an excellent second half.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Jeff Lebowski

I believe that we'll make it. We're only 2 points out of 8th and 4 points out of 1st in our division (well 6 actually after Vancouver & Minnesota play their game in hand tomorrow). I just don't see our chances as slim as some say. I expect that RNH & Eberle will start to return to normal & Yak will continue to improve. I'm expecting us to get on a bit of a roll here now and go into the playoffs firing on all cylinders. Anything can happen after that.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:52 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Win, and you're in.

At the end of the day, that's the way you have to play.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Oil and Avs

vCash: 958
I had zero faith in this team only a weak ago, but if these guys can keep playing the way they are now they've got a shot, there are a bunch of teams trending downwards. The sharks game is a must win wednesday, and after that we just have to beat teams lower in the standings and within a few points especially.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

It's funny how Horcoffs return changed the makeup and dynamics of this team for the better.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:39 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I believe that we'll make it. We're only 2 points out of 8th and 4 points out of 1st in our division (well 6 actually after Vancouver & Minnesota play their game in hand tomorrow). I just don't see our chances as slim as some say. I expect that RNH & Eberle will start to return to normal & Yak will continue to improve. I'm expecting us to get on a bit of a roll here now and go into the playoffs firing on all cylinders. Anything can happen after that.
Problem with that is that all the teams we're chasing right now all have a game in hand (minny, l.a., van, sj), so at least 2 of them will probably win their game or get at least 1 point, which puts us further behind, not to mention the tie-breaker...we have the lowest wins in reg time of all the teams in the hunt, which means we have to get into 8th outright, cant have a tie-breaker.

People are speculating on here that it will take low 50s in points to make it and we have 40 points up for grabs from here on out, which means we have to get probably somewhere around 27-30 points in 20 games and probably will still need help because of the conference schedule to make it...dont get me wrong, i love that they are showing some gumption lately, but realistically, its still a long shot IMO.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:17 AM
gpearson1968

Odds and Ends

Well, with that OTL and the W last night, our odds have improved to 16.5% :

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html

53 pts gets us over the 50% mark to squeek into the playoffs. With 28 pts on the books and 20 games left to play, we need 11 or 12 wins to get there. Doable, but it would require that the boys play better at this stretch then at any point this season.

Cheers,
gpearson1968

Old
03-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Problem with that is that all the teams we're chasing right now all have a game in hand (minny, l.a., van, sj), so at least 2 of them will probably win their game or get at least 1 point, which puts us further behind, not to mention the tie-breaker...we have the lowest wins in reg time of all the teams in the hunt, which means we have to get into 8th outright, cant have a tie-breaker.
People are speculating on here that it will take low 50s in points to make it and we have 40 points up for grabs from here on out, which means we have to get probably somewhere around 27-30 points in 20 games and probably will still need help because of the conference schedule to make it...dont get me wrong, i love that they are showing some gumption lately, but realistically, its still a long shot IMO.
Nope San Jose does

Old
03-18-2013, 09:07 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Would likely give them both 2 points, worst thing for us.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:30 AM
oilers_smyth_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
It's funny how Horcoffs return changed the makeup and dynamics of this team for the better.
Quick, let's buy him out before we get any better!

Old
03-18-2013, 09:57 AM
bombers15

This year we're 11-11-6 after 28 games. Last year we were 13-12-3 and the year before that 11-12-5.

The good news is that with 20 games left in the season, we're at 11-11-6. Last year we were 25-31-6 and the year before that 20-34-8. Both years way out of contention by that point.

It's possible, just not likely. But if they just won a few in a row, all of a sudden we're in a playoff spot.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
This year we're 11-11-6 after 28 games. Last year we were 13-12-3 and the year before that 11-12-5.

The good news is that with 20 games left in the season, we're at 11-11-6. Last year we were 25-31-6 and the year before that 20-34-8. Both years way out of contention by that point.

It's possible, just not likely. But if they just won a few in a row, all of a sudden we're in a playoff spot.
We were also a lot more injured if I recall.

I don't have a lot of faith we make the playoffs. We seem like such a frail bunch, that runs out of confidence quickly, and buckles under pressure. They don't win many 'Must Win' games, and there will be quite a lot of them coming up shortly.

I know Kruegar hasn't been my favorite coach, but from the broader picture, our team being in the thick of things with roughly 20 games left was pretty much all I hoped for when this season started.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post

And we have a game in hand on Det and are only 3 points back of them in 5th. Win that game and your a point back of fifth place...

Quote:
Nope San Jose does
Wouldn't Columbus have the lowest ROW's?

Its crazy that Colorado, last in the conference has more regulation wins than the 8th place Sharks.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
DIBZ

any chance that the Oilers just naturally step up there game and make a playoff push since they are so close?? Over a full 82 game season, I see this club falling out of contention, since we are over half way done, and still have a chance, I can see guys maybe playing with that extra edge a bit more, Seems like Hall has already decided to throw the team on his back, will more follow suit?

Our last playoff push, was hot goaltending, and a team who went above and beyond to make plays to sneak us into the playoffs, I don't see it being out of the question, Any athlete can elevate there game when you are actually playing for something late in the season.

a lifeless team given some drive, can be a scary thing.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

With 20 games left in the season we're still in the playoff hunted, that is something I haven't heard since 2009.

Granted that it's been a lockout-shortened season.

Seeing playoffs for the first time in seven years would be sweet.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Matt19Oilers

I think that a huge key for us to get in would simply be that Chicago and Anaheim continue rolling over everyone.

Since those two teams are basically uncatchable for us (and most of the rest of the west), we could make up some serious ground just based on them winning (and us winning too of course).

Since Detroit, LA and St. Louis have also pulled away from us a bit, if those teams can beat San Jose, Phoenix, Nashville a bunch for us that would help immensely.

But of course, we could just go a big winning streak and not have to worry about any of that. *Easier said than done of course.*

Closed Thread