HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Datsyuk WANT to play with Abdelkader?

Old
03-17-2013, 11:37 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

vCash: 500
Does Datsyuk WANT to play with Abdelkader?

I pose it as a question because I don't have a link to a printed source, but I've now heard this mentioned on tv twice. Once by NHLN and once by CBC. Both said that Datsyuk made a request to Babcock, with all the injuries, to keep Abdelkader on his line because Abs provides what Dats wants, and keeps it simple. If true, this sure makes a lot of those comments about Dats suffering/wanting to return to Russia/'surely upset and angry' seem quite silly.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Hammettf2b
Wings

vCash: 50
Heard this too from the commentators on NHLN against the Nucks

Hammettf2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
WesNichols14

I heard them say that on CBC last night as well. something about how he goes to the dirty areas and keeps pushing.

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Flowah

I'd love to know for sure. I'd scale back my criticism of Babcock if he was just giving Datsyuk what he wanted.

But that really doesn't make his leaving for Russia a silly idea. That's been around for way longer than Abby's been on his line.

Personally, I feel like people took the "piano" comment and just ran with it. As though Datsyuk was going to say anything other than good things about a teammate. If Datsyuk just wanted a guy who could win board battles and get him the puck, I can think of at least 3 forwards who do it better than Abby...

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Roy S

Ken and Mickey also have mentioned the same thing the last several games. Maybe trying to guess what Datsyuk is thinking and playing amateur psychologist simply by watching him play on TV isn't a fool proof method to accurately gauge what his real thoughts are?

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:05 AM
silkyjohnson50

Please remind me of when Datsyuk has ever said anything negative about one of his linemates or teammates?? It's never happened and it won't.

"Do you like playing with _______ ?"

What do you expect him to say?

I will say one thing, I am glad Babcock kept Abdelkader there instead of Cleary. Abdelkader has no vision or offensive sense at all, but at least he actually wins some board battles and doesn't turn the puck over in such in opportune times.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:24 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

He likes playing with big body players that create space, win board battles, set picks and drive the net. That is basically what Abdelkader does. So it would make sense he likes it. We could find him an upgrade on it, but with Bert out I am not sure who that is other than Abdelkader, despite how much people hate him right now.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:31 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
He likes playing with big body players that create space, win board battles, set picks and drive the net. That is basically what Abdelkader does. So it would make sense he likes it. We could find him an upgrade on it, but with Bert out I am not sure who that is other than Abdelkader, despite how much people hate him right now.
The hate has calmed a lot lately since Franzen replaced Cleary. And rightfully so.

It was just beyond ridiculous when both Cleary and Abdelkader were his wingers and Tatar was playing so well. Then Franzen came back and he simply went to Z's line leaving Datsyuk with both Cleary and Abs.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:24 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
But that really doesn't make his leaving for Russia a silly idea. That's been around for way longer than Abby's been on his line.
No, it doesn't make his leaving for Russia a silly idea, you're right. It makes his leaving for Russia, partly because he's playing with Abdelkader, a silly idea. Personally, I think it's most likely that next season is Datsyuk's last in North America, and I've thought that for a couple years or so. But I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with his linemates this season.

Quote:
Personally, I feel like people took the "piano" comment and just ran with it. As though Datsyuk was going to say anything other than good things about a teammate. If Datsyuk just wanted a guy who could win board battles and get him the puck, I can think of at least 3 forwards who do it better than Abby...

Happy to be proven wrong though.
Not sure what the piano comment is, but I think Datsyuk saying nice things about a teammate and reports that he requested Abdelkader play on his line are two separate things.

Last edited by jaster: 03-18-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old
03-18-2013, 01:28 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Please remind me of when Datsyuk has ever said anything negative about one of his linemates or teammates?? It's never happened and it won't.

"Do you like playing with _______ ?"

What do you expect him to say?

I will say one thing, I am glad Babcock kept Abdelkader there instead of Cleary. Abdelkader has no vision or offensive sense at all, but at least he actually wins some board battles and doesn't turn the puck over in such in opportune times.
Was that question posed to Datsyuk about Abdelkader? I didn't hear that, but maybe I missed it. And if it wasn't, then the idea that Datsyuk wouldn't say anything bad about a teammate isn't really pertinent. The way I heard it reported, the first time a couple days ago, it wasn't assumed based on a question to Datsyuk about whether he liked Abdelkader or not, and it was specifically framed that Datsyuk requested Abdelkader on his line.

Last edited by jaster: 03-18-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old
03-18-2013, 01:42 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Semi-related, just a funny Datsyuk quip from tonight....

Quote:
“It’s my partners who work hard to make everything that happened,'' Datsyuk said. “Abby, he just go and fight through injury. Looks like he don’t need a stick now anymore to score.”

Old
03-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Tomas W

Well, he need someone to bank his shots off. Joke aside. Abdelkader is strong at the board wresling and maybe also at the front of the goal wrestling. So I guess that would be hes role in that line. Hard to tell if that suits Datsuyk or not, but it's a way to play the game.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:26 AM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Well he wasn't scoring WITH a stick!

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:48 AM
Henkka

Quote:
I pose it as a question because I don't have a link to a printed source, but I've now heard this mentioned on tv twice. Once by NHLN and once by CBC. Both said that Datsyuk made a request to Babcock, with all the injuries, to keep Abdelkader on his line because Abs provides what Dats wants, and keeps it simple. If true, this sure makes a lot of those comments about Dats suffering/wanting to return to Russia/'surely upset and angry' seem quite silly.
No. This board knows everything better. Babcock should be fired that he listens his players.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:30 AM
ricky0034

some sort of stockholm syndrome perhaps

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:04 AM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Lol.

He "doesn't need a stick to score anymore."

So Abby is the new Chuck Norris of hockey

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:19 AM
JPE123

Abby is a decent 4th liner. He works hard every shift. The problem was when they had Cleary and Abby with Pav. No skill at all. Two grinders and no offense. At least we're down to one

JPE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:11 AM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
No, they never said Datsyuk made a request to Babcock.

They said Babcock said Datsyuk wants to play with Abdelkader. And I think it's Babcock covering his ass

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:04 AM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

Once I heard the commentators on HNIC say this it made total sense to me. I said much of this on the Game day thread but I'll repeat it here...

I don't think that if this was soley Babcock's decision that he would have kept Abdelkader on this line this long. He is not that patient. We have seen him juggle lines quickly in the past. In fact, too fast for my liking. Babcock has a lot of trust in Datsyuk, just as he trusts the other team leaders. So yes I think that this is Datsyuk's choice.

Also HNIC said that Datsyuk likes Abby because he drives to the net. He liked Bertuzzi because he drove to the net. Abby is plays the same role as Bert (just with a LOT less skill) on this line. When Zetterberg was on Datsyuk's line Z never drove to the net, he hung back waiting for Datsyuk's pass. Maybe THAT is what Datsyuk is tired of, not the fact that there is an aggressive 4th liner on his line.

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
RedWingsNow*

What a load.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Trizz

vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
some sort of stockholm syndrome perhaps

Trizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
No, they never said Datsyuk made a request to Babcock.

They said Babcock said Datsyuk wants to play with Abdelkader. And I think it's Babcock covering his ass
If Babcock was covering his ass... he would be also jepoardising the harmony of the dressing room... causing he said/he said arguemtns between players and coaches. Your theory here is too farfetched...

Old
03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
If Babcock was covering his ass... he would be also jepoardising the harmony of the dressing room... causing he said/he said arguemtns between players and coaches. Your theory here is too farfetched...
Right.

Babcock looked at all the players on the team and said "Give me abdelkader."

Talk about farfetched.

What likely happened is that Babcock asks Pavel -- after two weeks of the nonsense -- "Pav, what do you think of playing with Abdelkader."

What's Pavel going to say... "He sucks coach"

I think it's a damn shame that it takes CBC to ask Babcock about his dumbass line combinations.

Local media should have been asking coach about this dumbass line from day 1.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post

Local media should have been asking coach about this dumbass line from day 1.
I agree with you there... local media just are not in depth enough...

But still, I kinda think that Datsyuk had a part in the decision...

Old
03-18-2013, 09:45 AM
icKx
Subtle interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygraves View Post
I don't think that if this was soley Babcock's decision that he would have kept Abdelkader on this line this long. He is not that patient. We have seen him juggle lines quickly in the past. In fact, too fast for my liking. Babcock has a lot of trust in Datsyuk, just as he trusts the other team leaders. So yes I think that this is Datsyuk's choice.
Was it trust in Datsyuk that kept Abby centering the second line in the '11 Phoenix series even though it was completely inept in the offensive zone?

No, Babcock likes his muckers and has a tendency to come up with some really boneheaded lines. He's constantly criticized for his line-up decisions.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote