HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Discussion: The Goalie Market

Old
03-17-2013, 09:58 PM
jayball75

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Seriously? He is a free agent on July 1st. He is a pending free agent, as in, he is scheduled to become a free agent. Unless he signs first. Which he hasn`t. Which is why he`s on the list.
Wow!!! Another case of fatal attraction. Somebody's a jimmy Howard fan. Don't worry everybody else knew what you're talking about.

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball75 View Post
Wow!!! Another case of fatal attraction. Somebody's a jimmy Howard fan.
I'm not a Jimmy Howard fan but I read the Detroit Papers and know that a deal Is close at hand and that he should be signing soon.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:04 PM
jayball75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
I'm not a Jimmy Howard fan but I read the Detroit Papers and know that a deal Is close at hand and that he should be signing soon.
But he hasn't signed yet right? That's what the op meant.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:05 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
OP, you forgot about Rick DiPietro

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Gotta love those unprovoked rude comments. They scream weirdo just waiting to argue instead of discuss their opinion. You hurt his feelings BIGTIME.
There's lots of possibilities out there and just because there's a rumor Howard stays in Detroit doesn't mean it's true. He has been good but hasn't proved anything in the SCP. So there's a chance they go in a different direction between the pipes. IMO he will stay but you never kniw
He did'nt hurt my feeling But you dont say that Detroit will be looking for Goaltending When they already just about have there Goaltender locked up with Howard and your delusional If you think that Detroit Is thinking about looking In another direction other then Howard they would'nt be offering him a 7 year deal worth $35 Million If that were true.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
jayball75

Quote:
He did'nt hurt my feeling But you dont say that Detroit will be looking for Goaltending When they already just about have there Goaltender locked up with Howard and your delusional If you think that Detroit Is thinking about looking In another direction other then Howard they would'nt be offering him a 7 year deal worth $35 Million If that were true.
Ok we get it. He's DEFINITLEY getting resigned because you read it. I did say he'd sign there but it could be a possibility given his playoff success. So I guess I'm delusional.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Ok we get it. He's DEFINITLEY getting resigned because you read it. I did say he'd sign there but it could be a possibility given his playoff success. So I guess I'm delusional.
I said your delusional because you said that Detroit might be looking at other Goaltendes other then Howard and that's obviously not the case here And yeah I tend to believe the deal when the source that I'm reading Is In contact with Ken Holland on a daily basis And he says that a deal Is quite close::

Old
03-17-2013, 10:29 PM
SLarmer28

According to CapGeek:

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...G&fa_type_id=2

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Vander Teemuchuk

Quote:
Must be nice to have time to follow all 30 team pages. If you have nothing to contribute other than flaming other posters, perhaps you should refrain and not hijack the thread please. As of right now, Howard is a pending free agent. That's why he's on the list.
Amen. Thanks for starting the topic Zeus.

I was a bit concerned about getting Pav's backup out in the market this summer. But with all these starters and start-ready Gs laying around. Hmmmm. Should be some extra pressure on back ups and we could get a pretty good goalie for relatively cheap. I hope Inigo montoya wasn't planning on getting a riase this summer. lol

Vander Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:12 PM
jayball75

Quote:

I said your delusional because you said that Detroit might be looking at other Goaltendes other then Howard and that's obviously not the case here And yeah I tend to believe the deal when the source that I'm reading Is In contact with Ken Holland on a daily basis And he says that a deal Is quite close::
Ok you win. I hope he does sign there and your sources comments come true. But until he signs he's still a pending free agent.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:26 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Just to add, for completeness, not because anyone would neccessarily be interested, but Leland Irving will almost certainly be a group VI UFA this summer as he wont reach 28 games.

Same goes for Jeff Frazee (NJD), who is probably more attractive to teams than irving.

Ditto for Jussi Rynnas (TOR), Alex Stalock (SJ), Danny Taylor (CGY) - who seems to have passed irving in calgary's depth chart.

Richard Bachmann (DAL) is at 21 games (with at least 30mins played) so far, so he needs 7 more to stay restricted. That could come close.

Ben Bishop (OTT) is at 27 games and will almost certainly make it to 28 games and stay RFA.

03-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Ho Borvat

Quality goalies are really just not traded often... Halak.. Luongo.. Last ones to come to mind.

A couple signings (Smith, Bryzgalov).

Teams like stability so you really dont see a lot of startin goalies change hands...

Ho Borvat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Ok you win. I hope he does sign there and your sources comments come true. But until he signs he's still a pending free agent.
Okay If you say so, But In reality he does'nt officially become a pending free agent until after the season Is over and before free agency starts.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Djp

Quote:
Buffalo (probably only trading Miller because Enroth is ready, will likely give him the chance)
Buffalo WILL trade Miller by next year trade deadline. Miller has zero chance of resigning with Buffalo. He has states such that he would like to be closer to his wife out west in California.

When Buffalo trades him they expect to get a goalie back or they acquire one in a different trade prior to dealing Miller.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:04 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Okay If you say so, But In reality he does'nt officially become a pending free agent until after the season Is over and before free agency starts.
No, you don`t understand what "pending" means. Right now, he is a pending free agent. Meaning that after this current season, he is a free agent. Its a term used around here and other hockey discussion regularly. After the season over, he is no longer pending, he is a free agent. Its not that difficult to understand.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:06 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Just to add, for completeness, not because anyone would neccessarily be interested, but Leland Irving will almost certainly be a group VI UFA this summer as he wont reach 28 games.

Same goes for Jeff Frazee (NJD), who is probably more attractive to teams than irving.

Ditto for Jussi Rynnas (TOR), Alex Stalock (SJ), Danny Taylor (CGY) - who seems to have passed irving in calgary's depth chart.

Richard Bachmann (DAL) is at 21 games (with at least 30mins played) so far, so he needs 7 more to stay restricted. That could come close.

Ben Bishop (OTT) is at 27 games and will almost certainly make it to 28 games and stay RFA.
Thanks for adding the info. I was trying to keep it to starters, but its nice to know about young guys who could squeak in somewhere as backups/future starters. I think Bachmann and Rynnas could be really good goalies in a few years. And Bishop already is.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:39 AM
jayball75

Quote:
No, you don`t understand what "pending" means. Right now, he is a pending free agent. Meaning that after this current season, he is a free agent. Its a term used around here and other hockey discussion regularly. After the season over, he is no longer pending, he is a free agent. Its not that difficult to understand.
He probably needs to read the definition of pending from his source he's reading from to understand Or maybe a dictionary!

Old
03-18-2013, 04:35 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Luongo for cheap.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:01 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Oversaturated market and overpriced. Once the draft comes around I expect trade prices to come down, but other than ottawa who has 3 NHL goalies, i dont think anyone is in a real rush to move their pieces and will try to hold out until they get what they want.
Well, OP didn't mention Bernier, but LA may have a tough time re-signing him this summer. As of now they have just under $15M in cap room next year with only 13 players on the roster. If Bernier wants a raise, LA may not be able to manage. Especially if another team thinks he is ready to start and is willing to pay $3M or so.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:28 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

Kiprusoff was listed on the OP - but to my understanding he has after this season still one year to go in his contract. The season 2013-14 pays him $1.5M though the cap hit will remain as $5,83M.

Link: Gapgeek - list of UFA's in summer 2012 (goaltenders)

Of names on the list Smith gathers most interest, followed by Khudobin, Howard and Backstrom.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:52 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_finn View Post
Kiprusoff was listed on the OP - but to my understanding he has after this season still one year to go in his contract. The season 2013-14 pays him $1.5M though the cap hit will remain as $5,83M.
Sounds like a Nabokov replacement if he isn't re-signed.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Elliott for anything if Allen keeps it up. I could see us waiting till the summer and if Allen pulls a Cam Ward, then Halak could be on the block.
Uh, yeah Halak would be on the Block for sure if Allen pulls a 2006 Ward

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
There seems to be an unusually high amount of goalies available now, or this summer via free agency. As of right now, the following are all either rumored to be available, or upcoming unrestricted free agents and are all starting goalies, or potential starting goalies. And there may be more that I am unaware of or am forgetting.

One of Luongo or Schneider
Ryan Miller
Ilya Bryzgalov (probably after a buy out this summer)
Miikka Kiprusoff
Nicklas Backstrom
Tim Thomas
Mike Smith
Jim Howard
Evgeni Nabokov
Ben Bishop
Jonas Hiller (if they feel Fasth can be a number one next year)
Michael Neuvirith (if he asks for a big raise, Holtby seems to be the number one in Washington)

Teams who may be actively looking for a starting goalie (including ones who may lose their goalie as free agents) are:

Minnesota (if Backstrom isn't re-signed)
Phoenix (if Smith isn't re-signed)
Detroit (Howard)
NY Islanders (Nabokov)
Philadelphia (Bryz buy out?)
Tampa Bay
Calgary (only if Ramo doesn't want to come over to the NHL I think)
Toronto (although their goalies have been pretty good up until recently)
Florida (Markstrom isn't ready, Theodore is a UFA and possibly done as a starter)
Buffalo (probably only trading Miller because Enroth is ready, will likely give him the chance)
New Jersey (young backup to Brodeur who can be a starter in a couple years)

To me, it seems that there are more goalies available than teams who need one, unless I'm not aware of a team searching for a starting goalie. Does the number of available goalies now and over the summer affect the value that teams will be willing to pay a goalie as a free agent or in trade? Opinions? Thoughts? Did I leave anyone out?
If someone paid enough, I could see Rangers adding Martin Biron to the list.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Seriously? He is a free agent on July 1st. He is a pending free agent, as in, he is scheduled to become a free agent. Unless he signs first. Which he hasn`t. Which is why he`s on the list.
well played sir well played.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
If someone paid enough, I could see Rangers adding Martin Biron to the list.
I remember in 2009 when Biron's agent thought he could get $4 million a season to be a starter... and he ended up signing for only $1.4 million with the Islanders as a backup.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote