HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 7: "GMs who should be posters"

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 01:32 AM
Distinct

vCash: 500
An MPS Eller shutdown line would be pretty awesome

Old
03-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
that is this management's MO though, trade actual NHL players for magic beans, wash, repeat

i hold no hope of this trend stopping this trade deadline or off-season... i fully expect us to trade smid to "make room" for some prospect of raw rookie who TOTALLY isn't ready and hasn't proven a damn thing
This scares the hell out of me. If Tambo trades Smid, Hemskey or Gagner for picks and prospects and then signs over the hill UFAs we are done for another 5 years.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:59 AM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
An MPS Eller shutdown line would be pretty awesome
They would compliment each other nicely for sure. I'm doubting Montreal would trade him, but he's the first player I'd ask for if I'm Tambellini. Although, they've been targeting Tinordi since the 2010 draft (Oil Change S1 E1 with the draft jersey labels and the rumored Penner deal) which is a little worrying. I'd hope they could get more than Tinordi for Ladi. I like that Tinordi is big and very physical but at the same time Fistric is the same kind of player and we have an abundance of LH defenseman. All of this depends on if the rumor is true or not, of course.

I'm making a bold prediction that Smid will be dealt on deadline day. Too many teams are interested in this kind of player.. the value teams will be offering might be too good to pass up. Not to mention, 4.0-4.5M is going to be expensive when J. Schultz, Gagner, Yakupov, and Nugent-Hopkins are going to be in for big contracts. Can we afford a team that has at least 10M committed to 2 defenseman (Smid and J. Schultz) and about 28M to 5 forwards? (Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Gagner) Don't forget guys like Paajarvi, Klefbom, Dubnyk, 1st round pick this year etc... I'd hate to see him leave but it's going to be tough to keep the core and the borderline core players.

If the offers aren't worth it, sign him and deal with the cap later.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Paralyzer008

If Tambo deals Smid...holy man will I be angry.

If it's for a first rounder, I'll have mixed reactions, happy that we got a great future but sad we will have a D soft as butter.

Tambellini has always surprised a bit when it comes to trade. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Schultz got moved to be honest, maybe to St. Louis.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:08 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
They would compliment each other nicely for sure. I'm doubting Montreal would trade him, but he's the first player I'd ask for if I'm Tambellini. Although, they've been targeting Tinordi since the 2010 draft (Oil Change S1 E1 with the draft jersey labels and the rumored Penner deal) which is a little worrying. I'd hope they could get more than Tinordi for Ladi. I like that Tinordi is big and very physical but at the same time Fistric is the same kind of player and we have an abundance of LH defenseman. All of this depends on if the rumor is true or not, of course.

I'm making a bold prediction that Smid will be dealt on deadline day. Too many teams are interested in this kind of player.. the value teams will be offering might be too good to pass up. Not to mention, 4.0-4.5M is going to be expensive when J. Schultz, Gagner, Yakupov, and Nugent-Hopkins are going to be in for big contracts. Can we afford a team that has at least 10M committed to 2 defenseman (Smid and J. Schultz) and about 28M to 5 forwards? (Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Yak, Gagner) Don't forget guys like Paajarvi, Klefbom, Dubnyk, 1st round pick this year etc... I'd hate to see him leave but it's going to be tough to keep the core and the borderline core players.

If the offers aren't worth it, sign him and deal with the cap later.
If we're in playoff contention Smid won't be dealt. It would send the wrong message to the room. We're better off pushing for a playoff spot this year and letting him walk then taking a b level prospect and a late 1st for him.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:08 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Mtl wants Smid too according to RDS. The article was in French but they mentioned Tinordi. Not sure if they were saying they were show casing Tinordi or if it meant they wanted to see what they had in Tinordi before making a move
I'd have to think it was the latter. I'm sick of the Oilers moving NHL players for prospects, and I'm firmly in the "keep Smid" camp, but if there's a chance the Habs are willing to give up Tinordi for him, I think you've got to take it.

It seems very unlikely though.

03-18-2013, 02:39 AM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If we're in playoff contention Smid won't be dealt. It would send the wrong message to the room. We're better off pushing for a playoff spot this year and letting him walk then taking a b level prospect and a late 1st for him.
Tambellini's put himself in such a bad spot already he'll be criticized no matter what he does if we lose Smid. We could be in playoff contention, keep Smid, miss the playoffs and let Smid walk = Bad Management. We could trade him while we're in a playoff spot then miss the playoffs = we tank on purpose.

Although, I seriously doubt Smid would walk honestly. If we trade him and he heads to UFA I still think we'd be in contention to sign him back. Although it would be more expensive. He does love Edmonton, he loves his teammates, and he's already stated before that he does not want to be traded. I doubt much has changed since the 2011 deadline when the Smid to Nashville rumors were going around and he spoke about it after it passed.

If there is anyone in this league that would tell their GM, "hey if you want to trade me for an asset I'm willing to sign back in the summer," it's Smid. For the record, I'm not holding my breath on it. I'm just saying it's a slim option.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:47 AM
TheNumber4

I really want Boyle from NYR. His hitting, size, and the potential to put up points would be great for the Oilers. He's having a bad year in New York and seems to have fallen out of favour with fans. Possibility they might let him go.

I'd do:
Belanger + 2ND for him. Would you guys do it?

Old
03-18-2013, 02:53 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post
I really want Boyle from NYR. His hitting, size, and the potential to put up points would be great for the Oilers. He's having a bad year in New York and seems to have fallen out of favour with fans. Possibility they might let him go.

I'd do:
Yes, but I don't think Tambo would give higher than a 3rd.
I also think we could probably get Boyle for Belanger and a 3rd at this point.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber4 View Post

I'd do:
Yes, but NYR has no reason to. It's a lateral move but Boyle brings more for Torts' team. Boyle is someone I want the Oilers to get also, but I think it would have to be an off-season move. Don't think the Rangers are going to trade him though. He's improved since he was in Torts' doghouse.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:02 AM
TheNumber4

Don't think a 3rd and Belanger would be enough to pry Boyle from the Rangers. I went with the 2ND to show a little bit of an overpayment to get the deal done. I think the Oilers need to start getting in win now mode and giving up some higher picks to get what they need would be a good move in that direction.

Old
03-18-2013, 05:49 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Florida are supposedly sellers.

Kopecky would look good on that line.

ive been thinking this.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
if florida is selling and we are within playoff range i make a deal for Brian Campbell, give them Musil/Gernat/Marincin + teemu or some other *promising prospect. If that team isnt making the playoffs they do not want to pay 7m for brian campbell. he has 2 years left and would alieve some of the offensive dependancy of J.Schultz. also gives us another offensive dman in case whitney walks.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
If Tambo deals Smid...holy man will I be angry.

If it's for a first rounder, I'll have mixed reactions, happy that we got a great future but sad we will have a D soft as butter.

Tambellini has always surprised a bit when it comes to trade. I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Schultz got moved to be honest, maybe to St. Louis.
If Tambellini deals Smid for draft picks I'll be angry. We don't need less NHL experience, we need more. If some team is willing to give us a quality NHL asset for Smid, I would want Tambellini to make the trade if it helps the team. If not, I'd rather take my chances and see if Smid re-signs in the offseason (I bet he will.)

Old
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
if florida is selling and we are within playoff range i make a deal for Brian Campbell, give them Musil/Gernat/Marincin + teemu or some other *promising prospect. If that team isnt making the playoffs they do not want to pay 7m for brian campbell. he has 2 years left and would alieve some of the offensive dependancy of J.Schultz. also gives us another offensive dman in case whitney walks.
I don't think Campbell is an option. He didn't want to leave Chicago, but Tallon convinced him. I do think Campbell would waive his NTC, but I have to think it's either to a contender or another city where he has it easy when it comes to fan pressure.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Maxpac

Sorry guys, Eller is NOT for sale. He's been the best forward on a team that's competing for 1st place in the eastern conference. I doubt Bergevin would give Oilers more than picks, our 1st is probably available. Can't believe you guys wouldn't jump at the opportunity to get Tnordi, whom I doubt is available in the 1st place.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Hoogaar23

How about Fleischmann from Florida? Only 28 years old, 6'1" LW. 2 more years left at $4.5 per. He put up 61 points last year (27 goals).

I honestly have never watched much of him, so really don't remember how he plays, just going by stats - but on paper looks like he would be a great addition to our top 9

Paajarvi - Gagner - Yakupov
Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Fleischmann - RNH - Eberle

Old
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'd have to think it was the latter. I'm sick of the Oilers moving NHL players for prospects, and I'm firmly in the "keep Smid" camp, but if there's a chance the Habs are willing to give up Tinordi for him, I think you've got to take it.

It seems very unlikely though.
not picking on you misfit, just randomly picked one of the tinordi for smid posts

i can't *believe* people are talking like this would be a good deal for us.... this is crazy talk! trading one of the only reliable top-4 guys we have for a guy one year out of junior, who has played a grand total of 1 NHL game? this makes us better how exactly? who replaces smid's minutes? nobody, thats who

crazy talk

Old
03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
not picking on you misfit, just randomly picked one of the tinordi for smid posts

i can't *believe* people are talking like this would be a good deal for us.... this is crazy talk! trading one of the only reliable top-4 guys we have for a guy one year out of junior, who has played a grand total of 1 NHL game? this makes us better how exactly? who replaces smid's minutes? nobody, thats who

crazy talk
What if the alternative is paying him 5mil a year?

Old
03-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Hoogaar23

I would certainly love adding Tinordi, but certainly not for Smid. Like jadeddog says, he's pretty much our only reliable top 4 guy.

Maybe something around Belanger+Peckham or something like that? Honestly have no idea what the Habs' needs are, but giving away Smid would essentially be telling the fans "we don't feel like trying to make the playoffs this year"

Old
03-18-2013, 09:40 AM
jadeddog

the time for trading actual NHLers for prospects and picks is over, the time to start finding NHL players in now.... i am SO SICK AND TIRED of putting up with the 3-5 years of growing pains that young players take, only to trade them when they are ready to start being good veteran players... i know this management team is incompetent and and in love with youth (for some strange reason), but even *they* can't be so stupid to continue throwing away NHL players for promises and hope.... right?

Old
03-18-2013, 09:42 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
I would certainly love adding Tinordi, but certainly not for Smid. Like jadeddog says, he's pretty much our only reliable top 4 guy.

Maybe something around Belanger+Peckham or something like that? Honestly have no idea what the Habs' needs are, but giving away Smid would essentially be telling the fans "we don't feel like trying to make the playoffs this year"
it would also say "we don't much feel like trying for the playoffs next year" as well... who replaces smids minutes? what UFA is going to sign here? (cause THAT always works out well for edmonton right?)

this is CRAZY TALK, pure and simple

Old
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
the only way it is justified to trade smid is if we are getting a top 2 dman under 30 back, mayeb not in the same trade but it has to be done before smid is expendable, he is way to valuable.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
the time for trading actual NHLers for prospects and picks is over, the time to start finding NHL players in now.... i am SO SICK AND TIRED of putting up with the 3-5 years of growing pains that young players take, only to trade them when they are ready to start being good veteran players... i know this management team is incompetent and and in love with youth (for some strange reason), but even *they* can't be so stupid to continue throwing away NHL players for promises and hope.... right?
It's going to be tough this time of year to trade a UFA for an actual NHLer. Teams that want him don't want to create a hole within their team.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Fourier

Quote:
As I see it the vets that could be traded are Hemsky, Gagner, Smid, Belanger, Whitney and Jones.

Personally, I remain unconvinced that Gagner is the long term #2 but I still think that unless an unreal deal came alnog you sign him to the best deal you can get. I'd like to see a 4-5 year front loaded deal myself.

In Whitney's case, I don't know if you could get much other than picks. If the Oilers feel he has turned a corner a short term deal at significantly reduced dollars could make sense. If he wants dollars and term he is probaly gone.

Belanger may well get traded. He has had a better year on the dot and has been ok defensively but he really is a blackhole offensively. No player he plays with scores, ever! I liked the signing at the time and still think it was the right move but it may be time to move him along.

I doubt they deal Jones but his injury has thrown a bit of a wrench into his future in Edmonton. The team has a lot of wingers so who knows.

Hemsky is the one significant asset that I would trade for picks and prospects. I doubt Hemsky remains an Oiler beyond next year. I just don't see him wanting to be a third line player which is what he will soon be with Yakupov and Ebelre ahead of him on the depth chart.

I think you could get a mid level 1st for him and there are a lot of players in the 10-20 range in this year's draft that could be impact players down the line. Of course if you could get a solid roster player who would be with the team going forward you do it but I don't think teams trade you those players for one year of Hemsky. Trading him for a 5/6 deman who will be gone in two years is a waste of an opportunity.

For me they need to sign Smid. That should be a top priority. Stucture the contract intelligently and even if the numbers are a bit high you are ok.

This year they do have to go hard for FA that can help the team.

Closed Thread