HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 09:35 AM
dansk55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Wow, You are a bit optimistic I think.I say 4 straight if;
1)Plymouth is on their game
2)Our one D man stinks up the arena still,

We do have a chance for a few wins if;
1) D man play some D instead of nothing but offence,
2)JP steals one or 2 games
I like to think they can win one or two. Not sure how Jocko knows how to handle Plymouth...think he just tosses it out and hopes for the best on most nights.
A few of our D men repeat mistakes. If the coaches don't correct it, and reward them with more icetime, why would they think they are doing something wrong and why would u expect a different outcome.
You need fluid defencemen, but think about who is playing and the situation. Need to evaluate and match them. The coaches need to coach their respective areas not have a micro managed system. If not, why are they there.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:27 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
I like to think they can win one or two. Not sure how Jocko knows how to handle Plymouth...think he just tosses it out and hopes for the best on most nights.
A few of our D men repeat mistakes. If the coaches don't correct it, and reward them with more icetime, why would they think they are doing something wrong and why would u expect a different outcome.
You need fluid defencemen, but think about who is playing and the situation. Need to evaluate and match them. The coaches need to coach their respective areas not have a micro managed system. If not, why are they there.
Well put

I have noticed the forwards are getting tired of dropping back on D to cover DeAngelo.If he would make his move then drop back after his offensive rush, the forwards would cover but he tends to stay in the offensive zone instead of allowing the forwards to do their jobs.Last home game,Duiniuck made a nice rush and instead of hanging back on the blueline,DeAngelo tried to join in and almost got caught with 5 Sting in the Offensive end.Too me that is more selfish than anything.Tough to watch

Old
03-17-2013, 12:17 PM
lazyboy

This Plymouth series has 4 games written all over it. The Whalers are just to big and talented and loaded up front and can bring some nastiness to their game. They also have the edge on D and in coaching, leaving us with JP to win it all for us. Stranger things have happened but I'd be shocked if the Sting are even able to make this into a long series. Then again I've been counting them out all year so props to the team and coaching staff for having brought them this far this year given the adversity.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:37 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Most pessimistic fan base in the entire OHL. Wow

Old
03-18-2013, 08:25 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Char...deserves it, the opportunity to play for something bigger. Hind sight is 20-20...another example of Jocko not being able to evaluate talent, and he is the head scout...
So, what are our chances against the whalers... i am think at least 2 wins for us... a bit optimistic, but potential is there, if a few players are packing their bags already.
Last time I will make a comment on this trade, but at the time it was the right move. If Hottot didn't give up and stop caring, we wouldn't be talking about it. As for evaluating talent, not everybody works out. Did he do a bad job on Sarault or Basso? The 2012 draft could be one of their better drafts in recent memory.

@Dean - not being pessimistic, being realistic. Plymouth IMO is the best team in the OHL. I don't really see a weakness. They will only lose 2 to 3 games all playoffs on their way to the OHL Title. The only chance we have to win is JP and the ref's calling penalties on Plymouth.

Now being an optimist, this team is looking good going forward. Next year they will still be in tough making the playoffs, but in 2 to 3 years this will be a dominant team if most of the guys develop like they should.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
dansk55

[QUOTE=BoxerMax;61878103]Last time I will make a comment on this trade, but at the time it was the right move. If Hottot didn't give up and stop caring, we wouldn't be talking about it. As for evaluating talent, not everybody works out. Did he do a bad job on Sarault or Basso? The 2012 draft could be one of their better drafts in recent memory.
---
As for Hottot, I think Jocko chose to ignore the warning signs in hopes he would come around. He played with intensity and skill when HE wanted to, not when the team needed him. Perhaps he did not respond to JB's style of coaching and shut down.

Do you think Jocko knew what he had when he traded for Charlie? JB had Sarault pegged as a third line checker in training camp so my guess, is, like Kingston, had no idea of Sarault's potential. Just lucked out.
Much to Charlie's credit, thanks to hard work and dedication, Sarault has blossomed into a durable, superior player, and an underrated star in this league.

As for Basso, he gives me fits, like Tony D. Great feet and hands, but makes some bad decisions. When he plays like he did in the Subway Cup, he is a very good player.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
massey

[QUOTE=dansk55;61879481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Last time I will make a comment on this trade, but at the time it was the right move. If Hottot didn't give up and stop caring, we wouldn't be talking about it. As for evaluating talent, not everybody works out. Did he do a bad job on Sarault or Basso? The 2012 draft could be one of their better drafts in recent memory.
---
As for Hottot, I think Jocko chose to ignore the warning signs in hopes he would come around. He played with intensity and skill when HE wanted to, not when the team needed him. Perhaps he did not respond to JB's style of coaching and shut down.

Do you think Jocko knew what he had when he traded for Charlie? JB had Sarault pegged as a third line checker in training camp so my guess, is, like Kingston, had no idea of Sarault's potential. Just lucked out.
Much to Charlie's credit, thanks to hard work and dedication, Sarault has blossomed into a durable, superior player, and an underrated star in this league.

As for Basso, he gives me fits, like Tony D. Great feet and hands, but makes some bad decisions. When he plays like he did in the Subway Cup, he is a very good player.
Well spoken Dansk,My first signs of Hottot was last years playoffs and then he verified his willingness during the preseason.He stood around waiting for someone to get him the puck during pre season instead of leading by example as an overager and an asst captain.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:35 PM
getrdone71

Quote:

Hey Massey when I read your comments you blame every single lose on one player and constantly say we will win or loose games due to what style of game he has.I personally think this is a team sport and every game we lose is reflected on some way on how the team played. Go back to the game against Saginaw if boucher score on the power play on that OPEN Net we are 2 goals up. Do we blame him for not being able to hit the net all the time NO we don't cause if he could score on every shot he would have over 200 goals.
Also when looking at your year end report you can't understand why Nemechek doesn't see more ice time and hope next year he will see more. Personally after watching him play limited time you have to wonder why we would waste the import pick next year to have a kid sit in the stands and there is a reason to that if you watch him play.He is a nice kid and all but not. Talented enough for the OHL.

Back to what matters is hope the boys can come out flying this weekend and create an upset with the Whalers which will be hard to do but,but anything can happen we have played the #1team in the OHL very well this entire year.

Sorry for any mistakes in writing as I am doing good hid on my playbook and it sucks. Lol

Old
03-18-2013, 01:05 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by getrdone71 View Post
Hey Massey when I read your comments you blame every single lose on one player and constantly say we will win or loose games due to what style of game he has.I personally think this is a team sport and every game we lose is reflected on some way on how the team played. Go back to the game against Saginaw if boucher score on the power play on that OPEN Net we are 2 goals up. Do we blame him for not being able to hit the net all the time NO we don't cause if he could score on every shot he would have over 200 goals.
Also when looking at your year end report you can't understand why Nemechek doesn't see more ice time and hope next year he will see more. Personally after watching him play limited time you have to wonder why we would waste the import pick next year to have a kid sit in the stands and there is a reason to that if you watch him play.He is a nice kid and all but not. Talented enough for the OHL.

Back to what matters is hope the boys can come out flying this weekend and create an upset with the Whalers which will be hard to do but,but anything can happen we have played the #1team in the OHL very well this entire year.

Sorry for any mistakes in writing as I am doing good hid on my playbook and it sucks. Lol
Firstly,I have never blamed him for ALL the loses the team has.Yes it is a team sport but Also a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.I am very critical of his style of play in the games when it becomes a liability for the team.Again his best games came after being benched.I will gladly ask you to go to the game archives on the OHL website and review the games about our D man.Home and away.I have.I didnt miss a home game.Then you decide. Dont even go there with Boucher as this player worked hard for this team both Offensively and DEFENSIVELY for the Sting.More than others can say.As for Nemecek,How can you make a decision if he hasnt played.Give the kid a break,as a matter of fact,any kids that sit as many games as he has,cant be properly assessed.i agree if you dont want to play them then dont waste an import pick

Old
03-18-2013, 02:59 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Firstly,I have never blamed him for ALL the loses the team has.Yes it is a team sport but Also a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.I am very critical of his style of play in the games when it becomes a liability for the team.Again his best games came after being benched.I will gladly ask you to go to the game archives on the OHL website and review the games about our D man.Home and away.I have.I didnt miss a home game.Then you decide. Dont even go there with Boucher as this player worked hard for this team both Offensively and DEFENSIVELY for the Sting.More than others can say.As for Nemecek,How can you make a decision if he hasnt played.Give the kid a break,as a matter of fact,any kids that sit as many games as he has,cant be properly assessed.i agree if you dont want to play them then dont waste an import pick
As for Nemecek, why would he come back? How can you be benched for like 20 straight games and then be expected to play at par wth everyone else. You are right, why bring a kid over and sit him. Waste of money and his time. Personally I think Jocko must have a hardon for the kid. Chapman, Taziki and few others make mistakes, night after night, and they don't ride. IMO, i must say he has played well considering the amount of icetime.
I am sure Igor has another russian in mind, so i doubt Nemecke will be back.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
As for Nemecek, why would he come back? How can you be benched for like 20 straight games and then be expected to play at par wth everyone else. You are right, why bring a kid over and sit him. Waste of money and his time. Personally I think Jocko must have a hardon for the kid. Chapman, Taziki and few others make mistakes, night after night, and they don't ride. IMO, i must say he has played well considering the amount of icetime.
I am sure Igor has another russian in mind, so i doubt Nemecke will be back.
You are correct, very little chance on Nemecek being back next year. As for him being a healthy scratch for awhile and not going home, might have been something in his contract. He seems like a good kid, but not enough skill for the OHL right now.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
getrdone71

Quote:
Too be honest I watch all the home games and been to alot of away games and your right after he was benched he did have a little more fire under him. BUT he has never changed his way of play always will be a high risk player at all times to be honest that is when he is effective. You need a puck handling D to carry it and that is what he brings. Is he always perfect and never screws up (never) should he limit his times and identify when to carry the puck up and when to dump it? (definatly) but that will come in time in the next couple of years this young kid will be solid force on our D.(IMHO)
my comment about bouch was he also is a high risk player that will shoot from anywhere on the ice (i love this about the kid) but last year defence wasnt his #1 priority but he has work on it and has become one of the best players on this team and through out the OHL.

With Nemchek, my opinion is that a import pick should be an impact player when he comes over immediatly (IMO) but also he is very young (1995) if he was a normal draft pick i have no issue with him as he will get better and he has started to realize that the is a big kid(6'4) and can use that to his advantage he would do well in then year or so. But to keep an import pick for a project i just dont see that (sorry).

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 03-18-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by getrdone71 View Post
Too be honest I watch all the home games and been to alot of away games and your right after he was benched he did have a little more fire under him. BUT he has never changed his way of play always will be a high risk player at all times to be honest that is when he is effective. You need a puck handling D to carry it and that is what he brings. Is he always perfect and never screws up (never) should he limit his times and identify when to carry the puck up and when to dump it? (definatly) but that will come in time in the next couple of years this young kid will be solid force on our D.(IMHO)
my comment about bouch was he also is a high risk player that will shoot from anywhere on the ice (i love this about the kid) but last year defence wasnt his #1 priority but he has work on it and has become one of the best players on this team and through out the OHL.

With Nemchek, my opinion is that a import pick should be an impact player when he comes over immediatly (IMO) but also he is very young (1995) if he was a normal draft pick i have no issue with him as he will get better and he has started to realize that the is a big kid(6'4) and can use that to his advantage he would do well in then year or so. But to keep an import pick for a project i just dont see that (sorry).
I will be the first one to tell you that we need a D man that can move the puck Offensively.No one is a bigger fan of Scott Niedermayers,Paul Coffey or even Bobby Orr than me.He played his best games after being benched because he was making better decisions when to carry the puck and when to move or pass it.He also skated as hard back to his D position as he did when on the offence.This is what is lacking now,not coming back hard and when coming back,at least pick up that trailing opposition.He is also not picking a man up in his own end.The opposition are standing around the net area untouched.Appears to me laziness or cockiness??.Could be wrong.It is also starting to show on some of the other players.They are tired of it also.I will be the first to say this kid could be one of the most talented players on D in the OHL in years to come as soon as he start to apply his talent.Habits are hard to break and now is the time to start.Without a JP in net this would have been much worst for sure.I hope to be here next year writing how awesum of a season he has had.Thanks for a hard fought season Sting and good luck in the playoffs

Old
03-18-2013, 08:42 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
You are correct, very little chance on Nemecek being back next year. As for him being a healthy scratch for awhile and not going home, might have been something in his contract. He seems like a good kid, but not enough skill for the OHL right now.
Agreed,He was either very dedicated to the Sting or something else kept him here.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:03 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I love DeAngelo. He's the most talented offensive defenseman in this league. Sure, he makes terrible mistakes but that's the type of defenseman he is. Does Sarnia, Sarault and Boucher do as well without DeAngelo in the lineup this season? Doubt it. His mistakes are glaring but there are things he can do offensively that few players can. Reeling him back a step (like Basso was) will be Jocko's biggest challenge but to hate on this kid game after game is ridiculous.

DeAngelo finishes 3rd in OHL D scoring as a 17-year-old...now that's damn impressive. His weaknesses can be worked on (AND YES, they can...). Maturity will come with this kid and when that happens he'll have another gear.

It's growing tiring of a few posters absolutely hating on DeAngelo. Every player makes mistakes.

On another note, Sarnia had some pretty solid performances from some of their 2012 draftees this season outside of the OHL in Ryan Vendramin (34 GNML GP - 47G-93P)
and Cam Ashley (55 MnJHL GP - 34G-31A-65P, 8th in Minnesota Scoring). Promising...

Old
03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I love DeAngelo. He's the most talented offensive defenseman in this league. Sure, he makes terrible mistakes but that's the type of defenseman he is. Does Sarnia, Sarault and Boucher do as well without DeAngelo in the lineup this season? Doubt it. His mistakes are glaring but there are things he can do offensively that few players can. Reeling him back a step (like Basso was) will be Jocko's biggest challenge but to hate on this kid game after game is ridiculous.

DeAngelo finishes 3rd in OHL D scoring as a 17-year-old...now that's damn impressive. His weaknesses can be worked on (AND YES, they can...). Maturity will come with this kid and when that happens he'll have another gear.

It's growing tiring of a few posters absolutely hating on DeAngelo. Every player makes mistakes.

On another note, Sarnia had some pretty solid performances from some of their 2012 draftees this season outside of the OHL in Ryan Vendramin (34 GNML GP - 47G-93P)
and Cam Ashley (55 MnJHL GP - 34G-31A-65P, 8th in Minnesota Scoring). Promising...
Great post Dean. The only issue I have with DeAngelo is his attitude. Hopefully that will get better as he gets older, but as for his play, he is very talented.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:47 AM
getrdone71

Quote:

Thanks Dean I couldn't say it better myself. Excellent post and always enjoy reading your posts and your twitter comments. Keep up the good work

Old
03-19-2013, 11:20 AM
massey

Quote:

No where was the freakin word HATE been mentioned.Only by YOU.
DeAngelo,loaded with talent,u bet,read my posts
Makes mistakes,Absolutely,get your head out of the sand,needs to reduce those
Can he improve on them,Absolutely
Attitude problem,Absolutely but can change NOW
Offensive skills,one of the best in the league
Defensive skills,not so great,only when he wants
Young but can improve but only if he changes his ways.
No where in my posts does it say it was his fault every game
Read my posts,POTENTIALLY could be one of the best defenceman in the OHL
Again where the hell do you see hate here.
I pay my 1600.00 plus for my season tickets,Yes I am going to be a bit critical of some players making numerous mistakes over and over and over again in my posts.Again where do i say I hate the young kids.Enjoy watching them progress,some will make it some wont.Love the guys who give you 110% regardless of there abilities.

DeAngelo's play being key to Boucher and Sarault success,IMO thats a huge overstatement.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:13 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:

Who are you referring to here? Regardless, using terms like "stinking" makes it clear you are hating on him (FYI, "hating" is a verb and doesn't necessarily mean you "HATE" him...just criticizing him)

Quote:
No where was the freakin word HATE been mentioned.Only by YOU.
DeAngelo,loaded with talent,u bet,read my posts
Makes mistakes,Absolutely,get your head out of the sand,needs to reduce those
Can he improve on them,Absolutely
Attitude problem,Absolutely but can change NOW
Offensive skills,one of the best in the league
Defensive skills,not so great,only when he wants
Young but can improve but only if he changes his ways.
No where in my posts does it say it was his fault every game
Read my posts,POTENTIALLY could be one of the best defenceman in the OHL
Again where the hell do you see hate here.
I pay my 1600.00 plus for my season tickets,Yes I am going to be a bit critical of some players making numerous mistakes over and over and over again in my posts.Again where do i say I hate the young kids.Enjoy watching them progress,some will make it some wont.Love the guys who give you 110% regardless of there abilities.

DeAngelo's play being key to Boucher and Sarault success,IMO thats a huge overstatement.

Forgive me, I can't make sense of some of these sentences but my point was that it's tiring post after post after post after post (get the point?) to come here and see guys ripping on all the faults these kids have. Sure, you occasionally mention DeAngelo's skill but 90% of the time it is criticism. How about pointing out when he makes a great play or fantastic pass?

Maybe it's just me, but coming on these boards to read countless negative posts about a team, coach and/or specific players (over and over) is depressing. How about pointing out the positives the coach, team or players do? The negativity surrounds this franchise and if you don't think the players feel it then you are wrong.

Quote:
An overstatement? Really? When 36% of Sarault's points and 30% of Boucher's points come via the powerplay and 52% of DeAngelo's points come with the man advantage then I would say that DeAngelo was key to their success. Also, a huge reason the Sarnia Sting finished 2nd on the powerplay (out of 1st by 0.1% efficiency) in the OHL. So yes, I would say DeAngelo and his ability to operate the PP contributed nicely to Boucher's league leading 21 PPG's and Sarault's league leading 33 PPAs.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
As i understand it, Renaud was not a projected by the OHL rankings as second rounder. How'd that work out? So this kid is a 3 rounder so... our first pick?

Never saw 2nd rounder either. We had him ranked at #137 overall.

As for the Elgin team, I like a few of their guys including Carroll. I expect third round at worst. We shall find out soon enough. Not a very good draft this year.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edwards View Post
Never saw 2nd rounder either. We had him ranked at #137 overall.

As for the Elgin team, I like a few of their guys including Carroll. I expect third round at worst. We shall find out soon enough. Not a very good draft this year.
Noah Carroll is Elgin's best dman from my perspective.

I wonder if Sarnia considers Adam Craievich(local boy) with there first round pick? He should be gone, early second round if he makes it past the first. The only thing holding him back are his feet potentially. His shot is lethal.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Noah Carroll is Elgin's best dman from my perspective.

I wonder if Sarnia considers Adam Craievich(local boy) with there first round pick? He should be gone, early second round if he makes it past the first. The only thing holding him back are his feet potentially. His shot is lethal.
I wondered that myself until they finished with the 9th Overall pick without another pick until #41. When they were leading the division I thought it would be a nice little story line to see him go to Sarnia late 1st.

Not a knock on the kid, because he's very talented, I've watched him play for two years at the minor midget level, but I believe it would be a mistake to pass on the players who would be there at #9 to draft local. Too much work needs to be done on his game. One of the best shots in the draft, he has a lot of upside. With the way this draft projects I think a very talented player will fall into Sarnia's lap at #9, then just hope one of the talented top 40 sleepers falls to them at #41.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
I wondered that myself until they finished with the 9th Overall pick without another pick until #41. When they were leading the division I thought it would be a nice little story line to see him go to Sarnia late 1st.

Not a knock on the kid, because he's very talented, I've watched him play for two years at the minor midget level, but I believe it would be a mistake to pass on the players who would be there at #9 to draft local. Too much work needs to be done on his game. One of the best shots in the draft, he has a lot of upside. With the way this draft projects I think a very talented player will fall into Sarnia's lap at #9, then just hope one of the talented top 40 sleepers falls to them at #41.
Your right #9 is way too early for him. I was thinking there pick was #17 but that was months ago when Gally was around. My mistake. No way he goes in the Top 10.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:08 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Your right #9 is way too early for him. I was thinking there pick was #17 but that was months ago when Gally was around. My mistake. No way he goes in the Top 10.
I think Sting take Dennis Yan...Igor's boy look for them together at Comp centre
Kinda wish i was fortunate enuff to see these midget kids play...

Old
03-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Quote:
I think Sting take Dennis Yan...Igor's boy look for them together at Comp centre
Kinda wish i was fortunate enuff to see these midget kids play...
I was told Yan is no longer eigible. I didn't get a chance to confirm but it was from a good source.

Closed Thread