HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This year: Advantage for Habs to win it all

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
  #26
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBach View Post
If we do win the Cup, I won't be looking forward to the "Shortened season; doesn't count" or "Worst championship team of all time" threads.
But i'm looking forward to a lot of "25" threads.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:35 PM
  #27
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,316
vCash: 500
I'm just happy to see progression. I didn't expect us to be close to this good right now i figured we were another year or two away so it's great to see us playing well.

Yes, we need to get bigger. Every team has weaknesses and ours is size. I still don't like having Gionta, Gomez, Gallagher and DD as a group playing upfront for us.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:37 PM
  #28
JSBach
Registered User
 
JSBach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
But i'm looking forward to a lot of "25" threads.
Those would be nice.

Come to think of it, the last time one of the big three markets (Leafs, Rangers, Habs) won the Cup was in '94, long before HF. I wonder what it would be like on here.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:40 PM
  #29
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Except small players are injured less often than big players.

Most players injured right now in the NHL are over 200 pounds.

Hence, this thread's premise is wrong and the entire conversation is pointless.
Thanks. /thread

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:01 PM
  #30
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
A bit confused because I don't exactly see the connection. Turner is one of my all-time fave Habs and yes, I do like the physical players who excite me with big hits......but what does this have to do with this thread?
The supporting idea of your argument is that small players break down more quickly than big players. Despite being a big lad, Turner Stevenson is a perfect example of a guy who rarely made it healthy through a full season and broke down prematurely in his career due to the wear and tear of injuries (back, groin, knee, ankle, etc.).

Things like playing style, awareness, skating ability, fitness and good luck are all more relevant to the durability discussion than size is.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:23 PM
  #31
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Except small players are injured less often than big players.

Most players injured right now in the NHL are over 200 pounds.

Hence, this thread's premise is wrong and the entire conversation is pointless.
Well 453 out of 764 are 200 and more.
That is 59%...
But it does not mean that smaller players are more injury prone.
Prust is not that big and was rarely injured. Jarvis was an ironman but was not so big.

Question is really pertinent as we have depth to roll three offensive lines and this is significant in PO as the team will be more tight in defense.

Injuries will have a great impact in PO (as usual) for the team that will win the cup.
During last PO, Kings had 16 skaters that played all 20 games.
All their 6 D-men played all the games.
Previous year, Bruins had 16 skaters playing 23 out of 25 games.

One thing for sure, having a balanced team allows us to have less players overused and risking injuries.


Last edited by 25get: 03-18-2013 at 04:30 AM. Reason: typo
25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
  #32
Out East
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Except small players are injured less often than big players.

Most players injured right now in the NHL are over 200 pounds.

Hence, this thread's premise is wrong and the entire conversation is pointless.
Exactly. It's amazing how people can base a whole worldview on an assumed false premise...

Out East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
  #33
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
The supporting idea of your argument is that small players break down more quickly than big players. Despite being a big lad, Turner Stevenson is a perfect example of a guy who rarely made it healthy through a full season and broke down prematurely in his career due to the wear and tear of injuries (back, groin, knee, ankle, etc.).

Things like playing style, awareness, skating ability, fitness and good luck are all more relevant to the durability discussion than size is.
Oh, okay. Excellent rebuttal. Thanks.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:29 PM
  #34
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I've always known his height listed as 5'11, but I agree that he really doesn't look it. I'm curious now, lets dig up pictures of players standing together.

EDIT: found pic 1, pic 2, pic 3, pic 4, pic 5, pic 6, pic 7, pic 8, pic 9

Yeah, I'd say 5'10 is fair.
:

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:33 AM
  #35
DLR1970
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Not sure there's any advantage this year. Should a team get hot for say the last 5, 6 games of the regular season, then that's the kind of team that could roll into the playoffs guns blazing. I'm just enjoying the good play and the ride. I expected Montreal to contend for a playoff spot in the 7-8 seed range. Would love to be wrong for the 1,238,009 time in my life and see a 1 or 2 seed instead

DLR1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:44 AM
  #36
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Looking forward to the playoffs.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:00 AM
  #37
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorehabs View Post
It's funny because its not our small players who are injured right now.
forget it, it's a fact-less bubble that will never be pierced

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:15 AM
  #38
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They get hurt easier when a 6'4, 220 lbs person smashes into them.
Did diaz get a concussion because he's smaller? looked like a freak play to me.

Bourque got a sucker punch that could have happened to anyone... and he's not small either

Prust's wound was more self inflicted than anything else. Nobody ran into him.

Ryder has a minor injury and I'm pretty sure its not due to a big guy running into him.

The injuries this year don't seem to add up to this theory.

What really happens is that the refs put the whistle in their pocket especially when you get into the playoffs. This favours the bigger teams because the skating teams have their best asset taken out of the equation.

To me, its not so much the wear and tear on the little guys as much as it is a change in the standard of officiating and style of play that favors the larger teams as we get deeper into the season/playoffss.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:23 AM
  #39
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Did diaz get a concussion because he's smaller? looked like a freak play to me.

Bourque got a sucker punch that could have happened to anyone... and he's not small either

Prust's wound was more self inflicted than anything else. Nobody ran into him.

Ryder has a minor injury and I'm pretty sure its not due to a big guy running into him.

The injuries this year don't seem to add up to this theory.

What really happens is that the refs put the whistle in their pocket especially when you get into the playoffs. This favours the bigger teams because the skating teams have their best asset taken out of the equation.

To me, its not so much the wear and tear on the little guys as much as it is a change in the standard of officiating and style of play that favors the larger teams as we get deeper into the season/playoffss.
Your last paragraph has a ton of merit with me. I concur. Lets hope this changes and we don't get mugged in Boston.
Although Bruins fans say we do a lot of mugging too because our smaller guys can't out muscle their bigger guys. Oh well....

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:55 AM
  #40
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,323
vCash: 500
Rick DiPietro is huge but that hasn't exactly kept him free from injuries.

Where the advantage really lies is for whoever gets out of the Eastern Conference. Their playoffs will be a relative cakewalk compared to the Western Conference champs. Can you imagine Chicago playing Vancouver, Los Angeles, then Anaheim in their 1st 3 rounds as Montreal wipes out Ottawa, Toronto and Boston? The difference in travel is gigantic. This after a full 48 games of insane travel for the WC teams.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:37 AM
  #41
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Well 453 out of 764 are 200 and more.
That is 59%...
But it does not mean that smaller players are more injury prone.
Prust is not that big and was rarely injured. Jarvis was an ironman but was not so big.

Question is really pertinent as we have depth to roll three offensive lines and this is significant in PO as the team will be more tight in defense.

Injuries will have a great impact in PO (as usual) for the team that will win the cup.
During last PO, Kings had 16 skaters that played all 20 games.
All their 6 D-men played all the games.
Previous year, Bruins had 16 skaters playing 23 out of 25 games.

One thing for sure, having a balanced team allows us to have less players overused and risking injuries.
13/25 of habs players are 200+ (52%)



Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
We are a smaller team with many key components 5'10" or less. (Pleks, Gionta, DD, Gallagher). More importantly, 9 of our 13 forwards are under 200 pounds (only Max, Lars, Moen, and Borque are more). Even our defense is unusually smallish compared to the league.

I believe the longer the season, the more injuries these smaller bodies get, which ultimately hurts our chances. And if not injured, certainly worn down. You have to admit, an 82 game season is not really to our advantage, but more to the advantage of the bigger teams in the league. The constant wear and tear on a smaller body has to take a greater toll over more time and games.

Thus, take advantage of the 48 game season and win baby, win!
same thing applies to the bruins
9 of 13 top forward are 200+

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
  #42
jacklours
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Magog
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Well 453 out of 764 are 200 and more.
That is 59%...
But it does not mean that smaller players are more injury prone.
Prust is not that big and was rarely injured. Jarvis was an ironman but was not so big.

Question is really pertinent as we have depth to roll three offensive lines and this is significant in PO as the team will be more tight in defense.

Injuries will have a great impact in PO (as usual) for the team that will win the cup.
During last PO, Kings had 16 skaters that played all 20 games.
All their 6 D-men played all the games.
Previous year, Bruins had 16 skaters playing 23 out of 25 games.

One thing for sure, having a balanced team allows us to have less players overused and risking injuries.
That stat doesn't prove anything. Sure 59% of players injured are over 200 pounds, but how does it compare to the mean? Are 59% of the NHL players 200+ pounds.
If 95% (made up number) of NHL players are 200+ pounds, then it clearly shows that smaller player are more injury prone.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
  #43
jacklours
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Magog
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamateizer View Post
same thing applies to the bruins
9 of 13 top forward are 200+
Different things, he says 9/13 UNDER you say OVER. So big difference.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:25 PM
  #44
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours View Post
Different things, he says 9/13 UNDER you say OVER. So big difference.
Lol. I was scratching my head on his comment too. I guess he got confused.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.