HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Fighting with a visor on

Old
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
They'll just make instigator into a double minor.
That makes a lot of sense actually.

03-17-2013, 02:35 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
I'm not positive, but I think that might go against the 'code'.
Not to mention if I'm the opponent and I see a guy sit down to take his skate off I'm going to beat the **** out of him while he's busy.

03-17-2013, 02:36 PM
SHAR KS
3-0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalistInfidel View Post
Watching Seabrook get his head handed to him got me thinking. What was Brent supposed to do? Break his hand on Roussel's visor? Slice his hand open on it? Guys without the visor basically just have to take the beating or risk injury. Shouldn't cowards who won't take the helmet off (if he's wearing a visor) be suspended for say......5 games? Is an extra 2 minutes enough?

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:39 PM
STC

I dont know what was more classless, the Dallas punk keeping his visor on or continuing to throw punches at Seabrook when he was already down on the ice.

And then later in the game that same punk bailed out of a hit and ran straight to the bench when Seabrook had him lined up in the neutral zone.

I don't know his name nor do I care cause he's a punk nobody who will never accomplish anything in his brief career in the NHL.

STC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

Lmao Roussel is tool

Leafs Win The Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Sony Eriksson*

How Rousell was given the instigator was beyond me. They both were chirping at each other and decided to drop the gloves then Seabrook was met with a right and continued to be dominated.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
How Rousell was given the instigator was beyond me. They both were chirping at each other and decided to drop the gloves then Seabrook was met with a right and continued to be dominated.
Good for Roussel, he acts all tough while wearing a visor. Funny cause he got dummied by Kassian too

Leafs Win The Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
He got the instigator because he instigated the fight. Seabrook hit him clean and he skated out of his was to initiate the fight with Seabrook.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
f1seb

Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
I don't see anything bad in wearing visor during fight. You don't drop your gloves to be "fair" or "honorable", but to beat your opponent. Everything wich increases your chances is tolerable IMO..
Yeah why don't they just use sticks right??

f1seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Canuckz

I guess Rousell didn't get the message when Kassian was beaking at him about wearing the visor. The guy is a complete coward. Look at Iggy tonight, removes the bucket right away pre-scrap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxz1d6q5GFc

Canuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:18 PM
TheTechNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
It doesn't seem like some people realize that fighting is not legal in the game of hockey...
You truly believe people's posts here are indicating that they don't know that there's a 5 minute major for fighting?

Let's look at hockey...
Fighting is a penalty, 5 minutes is assigned for committing it. There are many sub-related rules such as visor related rules/additional minutes, instigation related rules/additional minutes, sweater being secured rules, number of fights per game before game misconduct, rules on leaving your bench to partake in a brawl, etc.

Hooking is a penalty, there are rules as to what does and does not constitute a hook, those rules change and evolve with time, hooking is something that happens in hockey. There are things called good and bad penalties, hooking someone in certain situations can be considered a good penalty, the potential pro vs the potential con is worth doing. There are bad hooks, sometimes out of frustration or while in the offensive zone.

If you swing your stick like a bat and hit someone in the back of the head with it, a general/not specifically named penalty is assigned to you (ie: a penalty that applies to many scenarios, not one that is specifically dedicated to that exact action - contrary to fighting which is specific to an action), you are ejected from the game, suspended (perhaps indefinitely), and are subject to legal action being taken against you. Swinging your stick like a bat at the back of someone's head is not a part of hockey. It can happen, hell someone can sneak a gun in their gear and shoot someone. But this action is not a part of hockey and not expected to ever occur.

A fight is a part of hockey. Some people do not like that fact, just like some people do not like the shoot-out, but it is still a fact. There are highlight reels on syndicated television highlighting best hockey fights. More than 100 hockey fights happen each season. Some players have or have had close to 100 hockey fights in their careers.

Your post is either attempting to stir up controversy, trolling, or you actually believe that people's posts in here are not said with what I stated above in mind, but that they think there is no penalty for fighting (unless you start a fight with your visor on in which case you should or should not get more than 2 minutes penalty for that).

I promise you that not a single member of this forum thinks fighting in hockey is legal, just like they don't think slashing or hooking is legal. They know it's a penalty, they know it has happened and continues to happen on a regular basis, and they are discussing whether the punishment in addition to your fighting major for starting a fight whilst wearing a visor is sufficient. Perhaps some day fighting will be removed from hockey. If this is to occur, then the penalty issued should a fight still break out will not be called a 5 minute major for fighting. Because fighting will not be a part of the game, just like there is no penalty for choking another player. If it happened, there would be big consequences.

Does this help clarify your understanding? Or do you still think people here don't know that fighting is a penalty.

Many things in the game of hockey are things that happen, have specific rules written on them, and are not legal. In order for those rules to be modified, abolished, etc. people discuss these rules in regards to these illegal conduct. That is what is happening in this thread, people are discussing those rules. What gives you the impression anyway that people think fighting is legal?

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Banana Sandwiches

I don't mind if it's heat of the moment and a guy leaves his visor on, but the crap Roussel pulls pisses me off. He'll rush guys his visor on while they're squaring off. Hell, when he fought Kassian, Kassian was in the process of undoing his chin strap while Roussel rushed him with his visor on.

I really hope someone feeds Roussel one of these days. He's a punk for doing that.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

If you're gonna drop the gloves, take your visor off. That simple.

Roussel is a coward. He's gonna get decked one of these days. That whole thing with Seabrook was annoying. Roussel was nailed with a clean hit and he goes after Seabrook for it. On top of that, he hid behind a visor and threw punches after Seabrook was down.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:42 AM
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids

vCash: 1250
Absolutely zero respect for anyone who fights with their visor on.

They should change the rule that if anyone fights with their visor on they should get a two minute penalty (opposed to just instigators who wear visors).

The players who fight with visors on fully know what they are doing. They know that the opposing player will most likely cut their hand trying to punch them, while they get free access to their opponents face. Complete cowardice.

There are rare cases when the players don't have a chance to remove their helmets, and that's fine, I know a guy like Douglas Murray wears a visor and will always remove it if he has a chance. That's what all players need to be doing.

Edit:

The referees need to be calling the "instigating with a visor" penalty way more often as well.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:59 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Win The Cup View Post

Lmao Roussel is tool
fixed

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 08:44 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Spur of the moment - I don't care.

But if you are going to skate up to someone and challenge them, do it as a man. I have issues when a monster like Jordan Nolan tucks behind his mask, then instigates a fight.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by acor View Post
I don't see anything bad in wearing visor during fight. You don't drop your gloves to be "fair" or "honorable", but to beat your opponent. Everything wich increases your chances is tolerable IMO..

Spearing will trend yippee!

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Gimor
Rookie User

Point being, if you fight, take the helmet off. I understand if it's spur of the moment and there is no time to take the helmet off, but if at all possible, attempt to get to open ice and take the helmet off.

Gimor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddum View Post
Only a wuss fights with a visor on. A real man will take it off.

Example of real men.

Oh man that first swing by Subban gets me everytime.

As for fighting with visors on, there are just some instances where you have no choice but the leave it on. But for the most part I agree, if your squared up with a guy who isn't wearing one, you should definately loose your helmet, but so should the other guy. Reminds me of the Pouliot vs Redden fight a few years back. Pouliot lost his helmet in a scrum, was challenged by Redden who left his helmet on...chicken **** still got cleaned out.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote